Start by marking “Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7)” as Want to Read:
Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7)

Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  7,340 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
Lucas Jordan has an extraordinary psychic skill that police all over the country find invaluable: he locates missing people. And since being recruited by Noah Bishop for his FBI Special Crimes Unit, Lucas has learned to hone his remarkable ability so that what he does seems little short of miraculous.
He's called in on what appear to be a series of ordinary kidnappings-fo
Published June 28th 2005 by Bantam Books (first published August 17th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hunting Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting Fear

Bill
Mar 07, 2015 Bill rated it it was ok
2/5 STARS - the very best I can do!

OK ... this is one of those books where I wonder if I read the same story as everyone else. According to the Goodreads statisticians, Hunting Fear has just over 6,000 ratings for an average rating of 4.2/5.0. WOW! I felt very generous by awarding it 2/5 STARS. What up? What planet am I on? What am I missing? Are those 6,000+ folks reading a different version? I don't know. I'm dazed and confused!

I apologize to the many Kay Hooper fans out there but ... a team o
Lauren
Hunting Fear
4 Stars

SCU member, Lucas Jordan, possesses the unique ability to sense a victim’s terror and uses it to find those who are missing. However, Lucas’s skill is put to the test when a seemingly routine case of kidnapping for ransom turns into something far more dangerous and personal.

Series Note: This is the first book in Hooper’s Fear trilogy but the seventh book in the Bishop Special Crimes Unit series. While this is the first time Lucas and his love interest, Samantha, are introduce
Lhenry
Jun 30, 2012 Lhenry rated it liked it
I had mnixed feeling about this one. It was exciting, tension filled and intriguing. The paranormal abilities of the characters were cool. I liked minor characters like Wyett, Lindsey and Caitlin. I thought the villain and his crimes were suitably blood-chilling. All in all I thought it was an exciting, well executed plot.

But I found Lucas surprisingly under developed. In spite of him beind described and intense and focused, but found him lacking in personality. And... I found Samantha unbearabl
Darcia Helle
I am a big fan of Kay Hooper and this book does not disappoint. Hunting Fear is the first in what is sort of a series within a series. The broader series is about a special unit within the FBI, formed by Noah Bishop. All its members have some sort of psychic ability, including "seers" and "mediums". These agents use their abilities to hunt down the worst and most elusive criminals.

The Fear series follows agent Lucas Jordan, as he tries to find a serial killer who makes a game of murder. Lucas' p
Stephanie Stephens
Apr 13, 2009 Stephanie Stephens rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I've read some of the BCU books in the past, and I don't know what I expected this one to be. It's gruesome, and bad things happen to characters that you like. It's kind of like it's a light mystery/romance trying to be a suspense novel. It doesn't quite fit either place. But I will probably read more of these in the future. Because I can't help myself, not because they are great books.
Karen Jones
Nov 29, 2009 Karen Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: kay-hooper
Hunting Fear was really good. I did, unfortunately, figure out the villain about halfway through, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment.

It wasn't super fast-paced, but it moved along steady enough to keep me unable to set it down easily. I actually read the majority of it today, unable to set it aside until I saw how it all played out.

One thing I did like is the lack of shock-value crime details. Some books, it seems, need to conjure images of horrible murder scenes to make an impact on the reader.
Kerry  sullivan
I loved Jason and Sam and I loved this story it was very intense and a bit more scary then the book before it just because of the mode of the killers attacks. Watching the relationship grow between Jason and Sam was really interesting and I loved that she was a carnival seer and you got the whole credibility issue with psychics and I think it was portrayed very well. I will admit that the ending was extremely satisfying and opened the door for the next book.
Chloe
Mar 28, 2016 Chloe rated it really liked it
I love the Bishop series by Kay Hooper . This one was a good thriller but I wish she had developed the characters a little better . I finished the book but knew very little about Lucas or Sam . Overall a good read but I have liked her other books in this series more
Cardmaker
Mar 02, 2015 Cardmaker rated it it was amazing
A friend gave me this book and it sat in my bookshelf for a long time before I read it. If I'd known it was this good, I would have read it sooner!

It centres around an FBI unit made up of psychics, although they keep a pretty low profile because of public skepticism. They're hunting a serial killer who kidnaps a victim, collects the ransom and then leaves the victim somewhere to die to see if the psychic can find them. At the start of the book, only one victim has lived so the pressure on the un
Doris
Jan 10, 2015 Doris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is written for those who like the supernatural without the input of werewolves, vampires, and other fantasy creatures, but it does contain many psychics. In Hunting Fear, we meet Samantha, who makes her living telling fortunes at a carnival. Pair her with a known psychic who hunts fear, and then toss them together with a super-cynical lawman who cannot believe anything good about someone claiming psychic abilities, and you have a tense, mistrustful situation.

The main strength of this
Sheila Melo
Sep 06, 2014 Sheila Melo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Entry in Bishop/Special Crimes Unit Series

Having been disappointed in the last several Bishop books because of the incomplete nature of the romance part of the story, I was more pleased with this book where there is more attention paid to the relationship between the main characters. Unfortunately, however, this book continues the trend of the major plotline being that the two main characters are keeping secrets from one another and that is the tension between them. The suspense plot, howev
Jay Jessmer
This was my first foray into Ms. Hooper's work, and I liked it enough to go forward with more. The story was compelling, the premise original and fairly well thought out and there was just enough suspense to carry things along. The biggest drawback for me was the characters. It's not that I didn't like them, I just couldn't get any real connection or attraction to them. Very little development and they just seemed to "be there". The best parts for me were the descriptiveness during the "captivi ...more
Bagman
Feb 24, 2016 Bagman rated it liked it
Let's be clear, this isn't a 3 star rating, it's actually a 2 1/2 star rating. Actually, the 1/2 star is closer to a 1/4 star. Hell, this should have been a 2 star rating.

Again, I was enticed into reading a book from a successful series, with very good reviews of its own, only to be disappointed. If I didn't suffer from an anal character trait that almost compels me to finish a book once started, I would have dumped this bit of silly nonsense as soon as I discovered that one of the two main pro
Carol
May 18, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
My first time reading a Kay Hooper novel. Enjoyed the heck out of it.One of those rare can't put down books.My only complaint would be that she seems to feel the need to explain everything...This book was a Bishop/Special Crimes Unit Novel.Noah Bishop runs the unit for the FBI. His team consists of unique pro-filers. They are all psychic.In this story, number seven, Noah sends Lucas Jordan to North Carolina where a string of kidnapping victims have turned up dead....Hooper brings some truth into ...more
Anita
Lucas Jordan of the FBI’s Special Crimes Unit is good at finding people. His ability to feel the emotions and especially the fears of victims works as a direct GPS system in tracking down those who are lost. But a recent string of serial kidnapping slash killings has eluded him and the SCU for a couple years now. At least there hadn’t been any leads until it seems that the culprit has finally settled into the small town of Golden, North Carolina.

Coming back in contact with Samantha Burke, a fort
Paris
Up until this book I had enjoyed reading Kay Hooper’s Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series. Each book was a new adventure and I totally had a little crush on Bishop. I took a break before this book because I had a ton of new books to read, but that break didn’t matter. I jumped right back into the SCU world like I’d never left. This time around we focused on Lucas Jordan and his abilities and of course there was a girl that made his life more interesting. The relationship between Lucas and Sam was ...more
Brent Soderstrum
Dec 14, 2012 Brent Soderstrum rated it liked it
This is book #7 of the Bishop SCU FBI series by Kay Hooper. Maybe I am starting to get burned out on her mysteries. In this one Lucas, a member of Bishop's team, is trying to find a kidnapper/killer who loves to terrify his victims before they are eventually killed. He starts out by kidnapping them, getting the ransom and then instead of letting them go he brutally kills them. In Golden, North Carolina he appears to have settled in for a long killing spree. He starts with local citizens and even ...more
Gina
Bestselling author Kay Hooper ratchets up the tension in this fast-paced thriller about a psychic profiler and his hunt for a seemingly invincible murderer. Profiler Lucas Jordan has been able to locate missing people by sensing their fear, the very fear that excites the killer he's trying to find. But there's a twist in the latest kidnapping -- a carnival psychic predicted the crime a week before it happened. Psychic "Zarina" turns out to be Samantha Burke, a woman from Lucas's past; warily, th ...more
Louise
Apr 10, 2009 Louise rated it it was amazing
I've never yet been disappointed in a Kay Hooper mystery/suspense novel. Hunting Fear was released in hardcover in August 2004 and just released in paperback this month (July, 05). Hunting Fear is the next novel in Kay's "Bishop Special Crimes Unit" series.

From back cover:

"He's no ordinary kidnapper. Not only does he strike again and again, but he collects the ransom, gets away safely, and leaves his hostages dead. Now, after months of eluding the best law enforcement can put against him, this m
Ana T.
I am always looking forward to start a new Hooper book. Even if they they don't make my top reads list they are usually fast paced and intriguing and they make for enjoyable reads. Hunting Fear is no exception and almost made it to the above mentioned list.

Lucas Jordan is another of Bishop's agents. The book starts with Bishop enlisting Jordan which was a really nice bit as I don't think we've been getting enough Bishop in the last books I've read. As the other agents on the team Lucas has a par
Kristen
Hooper has hit another home run in her special crimes unit series. This outing has one of the most inventive, and creepily clever psychos I've come across.

The series of abductions that turn into murders are stacking up fast and none of the law enforcement members seem to have a clue how to catch and stop him.

The fact that the two key character protagonists Lucas and Jordan are exes lends an extra helping of sexual tension, complexity and interest to their romance - they both want to catch the ki
Amy Corwin
May 26, 2008 Amy Corwin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Suspense and paranormal suspense fans
I always like Kay Hooper's suspense novels featuring Bishop's special FBI unit of psychics. They are entertaining and don't contain a lot of gratuitous sex which is the major fault of so many suspense novels today that use the plot as a vehicle to force characters together. The plot and suspense are the major focus and I very much appreciate it, which is why I'm attempting to collect all of those books in this series.

The only reason I did not give this 5 stars out of 5 is a problem that all of t
Brittney
Mar 18, 2014 Brittney rated it liked it
The first Kay Hooper book I've read. The psychic parts of it were interesting to me. Good story, scary villain, good suspense.
But I wish there was more back story on Lucas, i feel as I reader i didn't get to know him well, also at times Samantha really bothered me.
I will check out the other novels in this series because I'm interested in the paranormal/psychic aspects. I hope Lucas is in other books in the series because I still want to know more about him.
Eve
Jul 31, 2016 Eve rated it really liked it
Hunting Fear by Kay Hooper
Series: Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7
The "Fear" Trilogy, #1
Mystery, Thriller & Suspense / Psychological Thrillers / Paranormal

This is a complex story with complex characters. I kept turning the pages to find out what was going on. I was instantly drawn to both Lucas and Samantha and I liked their chemistry which was intense but did not overshadow the main storyline -- catching cold-blooded killer before he has a chance to kidnap and kill another victim.
Christina
Jun 28, 2015 Christina rated it liked it
I found this abandoned at work the other day and decided to read it on break, not a normal read for me I must admit I tend to stay toward young adult fantasy but it was enjoyable enough a nice change and the paranormal aspect appeased the fantasy lover part of me. I recommend this for someone looking for a crime drama with a paranormal twist, though I must admit the love/hate romance got tedious after a while.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"There's a new psychic on the scene, and he's ready for action: introducing Lucas Jordan, the latest addition to Noah Bishop's crackerjack Special Crimes Unit.

He's called in on what appear
Jennifer Coffman love
This is the first Hooper book I have read. Not as good as Cornwell, but not terrible. I didn't do my research and didn't realize it was #7!! No wonder I was a little lost, but it was still a good story. She doesn't seem to get to deep into her characters, but I still liked it and want to read more
Pamela
Oct 30, 2014 Pamela rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kay Hooper fans and mystery lovers
Recommended to Pamela by: no one
Number 7? I love Hooper's books. I guess I'm not reading enough books if I've just found 'Hunting Fear'. It feels like it could stand alone but it's so good I'm glad it is part of a series.

The book jacket can give a much better review than I can.
Becki Barkley
Aug 30, 2016 Becki Barkley rated it it was amazing
Im gonna say i was really hating the Sheriff at first and I wasnt in love with Lucas. I hated the way they were treating Samantha so I was relieved when she finally let us know why they felt the way the did..I hated that the main leads were jerks
Erin Chicosky

It was an okay book. I definitely wish I would have read some of the other character books first since I had absolutely no background information about anything or anyone. I did enjoy the story though.
  • Firestorm
  • Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2)
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2; John Mancini #4)
  • The Kill (Predator Trilogy, #3)
  • Now You See Her
  • The Morning After (Savannah #2)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...

Bishop/Special Crimes Unit (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #1)
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2)
  • Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #3)
  • Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #4)
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #6)
  • Chill of Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #8)
  • Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9)
  • Blood Dreams (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #10)
  • Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11)

“You know, for someone who holds a position of legal authority as high as yours, you sure do like to throw away the rule book sometimes."

"Knowing the rules is one thing. Following them blindly all the time is something else again.”
1 likes
“Metcalf came into the room and sat down with a sigh. "Did everybody go nuts all of a sudden? It's Thursday, for Christ's sake, and you'd think it was Saturday night. Fender benders, B amp;Es, domestic disputes-and some asshole just tried to rob one of our three banks."

"Unsuccessfully, I gather," Lucas said.

"Yeah, but not much credit to my people. Guy had a flare gun. A flare gun. I was ready to shoot him just on general principle. And because he fucked up my morning.”
1 likes