House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)

House Infernal (City Infernal #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  812 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A CITY, BUILT WITH BLOOD AND BONES...
Three things are about to join a crypt in Hell with a house on Earth... Nuns molested and drained of blood. A virginal student seduced by the perverse and taunted by things worse than ghosts. And six Angels, imprisoned in Hell and made pregnant by God knows what...
Mass Market Paperback, 369 pages
Published October 2nd 2007 by Leisure Books

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
304th out of 1,104 books — 3,471 voters
American Psycho by Bret Easton EllisHaunted by Chuck PalahniukOff Season by Jack KetchumThe Girl Next Door by Jack KetchumExquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite
The Goriest Books Ever
59th out of 214 books — 408 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Decesare
There are some authors I just don't get. Edward Lee is one of these. I have tried his books a few times because I love horror books and reading the violence he writes doesn't bother me. What I can never get passed is the way 98% of the women in his book have huge breasts, they are often bra-less, even after the age of 40 (with these huge boobs), and their significant others refer to their breasts in terms of affection like "milk wagons".

Seriously. I wonder if he realizes, writing this way, make...more
Marvin
Edward Lee's Infernal series is in a class by itself.It manages to be horrific in a sense that would probably turn off most mainstream readers yet it is fantastical in a Land of Oz way despite the horror elements. It is more of a dark fantasy comedy than an actual horror novel. House Infernal is the third installment after City Infernal and Infernal Angel. My only issue is that House Infernal reads a little like an afterthought as the first two novels are complete in themselves. Nonetheless, it...more
Chy
Quick! Gut reaction: Wait. Are you sure it’s not a comedy?

Short Summation

Venetia Barlow, a beautiful theology student, goes to work at St. John’s Priory, working with good Godly people to fix it up. And, dun-dun-dunnnn, it was designed by a priest who was actually a Satanist.

Then things get all kinds of crazy evil.

Why this book?

I read Lee’s City Infernal years ago, and apparently I didn’t think I’d had enough punishment at his hands.

How’d it go?

Not only do we follow Venetia and the cast at...more
Juliet Davis
Venetia Barlow, a pious young woman, who is thinking about becoming a nun, is working the summer for extra credit to fix up St John's Prior House. After her arrival she learns that the builder of the house was an approved Vatican architect who was a closet Satanist. There are hidden names and message throughout the house as well an involution in the catacombs. She also finds out that two months ago two virgin nuns were murdered here. Unknown to Venetia a Pith leading to hell is in the catacombs...more
Ericka
I like horror, but this was a little out there for me at first. I had to really suspend my disbelief, but once I got into it as more of an anti-Catholic fantasy it was much easier to read. I don't think it would be an easy read for a Catholic, even a lapsed one unless you're vehemently against the church. It's not anti-Christian or even truly anti-Catholic, but things do look bad at first. I was still dismayed in the end with all the martyrdom. The gore could also be disabling for some readers....more
William M.
3 AND 1/2 STARS

I've read a lot of Edward Lee, but I still say his best storytelling is with this "Infernal" series, and House Infernal is no exception. While this latest entry is my least favorite of the series, it was an enjoyable read, containing all the elements that make the Infernal trilogy so special... wild characters thrown into hell battling disgustingly wretched denizens over the fate of humanity and goodness. That being said, this book felt a little conservative for Lee's standards a...more
Donald
This is one of a thousand signed copies. It is the Cemetery Dance 2008 Book Club February selection.
I suppose I should start by saying that the story is a well conceptualized one that, for the most part, is well told. I think I found the epilogue to be the most frightening part of the story (and I almost skipped it).
There were quite a few typos (some of which acted like speed bumps). Every female in the story had ample boobs and just wanted to throw their legs in the air, which provided a juv...more
Misty Battle
Back into hell we go....or halfway go. This is one of the series books I am torn over. I love the series, but found this one lacking in plot. I just didn't buy the damned souls helping out a human. Maybe that was the point I don't know. However the descriptions and imagery made the ride worth it and I loved visiting the inner working of hell.
Bob
This is not typical Lee. And although that isn't a bad thing, it isn't necessarily good, either. The story is there. Lee can write characters. Here he does it again. I was totally wrapped up in the threads between life here on Earth, and down in Hell as well. Great writing, brother! The story loses steam nearing the climax, and it is a bummer, but a good read overall. The sex and violence is very subtle here, and it just goes to show you that Lee can write, and write damn well.
Sep 02, 2012 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Edward Lee's City Infernal series
Shelves: horror
This is another fun romp in the Mephistopolis. Sometimes the crazy arcane magic overwhelms the story, but I read this series less for the story and more for the site-seeing trip through Lee's version of Hell. There are new characters, but otherwise this novel is much like the previous two: Hell has a new complicated plan that Heaven is trying to thwart.

If you like City Infernal and Infernal Angel, you'll like House Infernal, too. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
Eric
Despite all the demonic Dukes and evil Earls reigning in Hell, the most interesting character in this book is a 39-year-old prostitute newly arrived in Mephistopolis. Ruth Bridges wears a werewolf bra and a skirt made of tongues (still alive and licking!) and turns Hell upside down. She may have been an uneducated hick from Florida when she was alive, but she ain't no dummy. "Men are all the same, even in Hell," she says. "Just a bunch of horny assholes."

Brian Steele
Edward Lee is the living definition of "Depravity." Do not start this book expecting some coy, Americana, King-esque horror. To Lee, nothing is sacred, nothing is taboo. He finds the line and takes a running long jump across it. I suppose that's why I love his work so much. Some may think he's just a "Shock-Hack," but it takes a truly twisted brilliance to come up with THIS level of atrocity.
Bevin
Apr 13, 2008 Bevin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who are not squimmish
This guy has a seriously warped imagination. His books (especially this one and "Infernal Angel") are dark looks into the psyche of people. The books feature religious themes (mostly of the dark variety), and should not be read at night or when eating. However, if you are not doing either of those things and like a scary and disturbed night of reading, pick him up.
Matt R.
This was my first Edward Lee book and it was intense in many ways. He paints a very detailed picture of the hell city he calls Mephistopolis and although some of the story included parts that made my stomach weak, I had to read on. This book is quite eerie and chilling in my opinion, a wild ride.
Daniel Russell
Ed Lee creates his own vision of hell that is as memorable as Barker's (and with a lot more black humour). Spoiled only by a few too many narrow escapes from dangerous situations, House Infernal was thoroughly enjoyable read. Will be looking to read the others in the series.
Anne Marie
Worth reading just to see Edward Lee's depiction of Hell as a city. The rest of the story is interesting, if not slightly bizarre. It is a horror book, but I wouldn't call it scary, just very suspenseful. Lee's writing is very engaging and makes for a quick, satisfying read.
Kara

Turned out to be a FANTASTIC book. Book two in the series, "Infernal Angel" stalled a bit but this one was every bit as good as the first in the series "City Infernal." Very thoughtful and moving. Really. Interesting and exciting.

Steven
Dec 07, 2007 Steven rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horror fans, apocalyptic stories
Shelves: 2007to2009, horror
This is one of a series of books based on the premise of hell as an endless city and the battle between good and evil. I thoroughly enjoyed this adventure. I thought it was the best in the series. Excellent work by Edward Lee.
Kurt Criscione
getting a little repetious but still a great setting and introduces new characters and a new storyline... the whole tmeporal loop thing is a little over the top but we're talking about hell and demons and all that.
Tommy
I read "Flesh Gothic" by Edward Lee, and it was really fun and over the top. This one was too silly for me, also too juvenile. If I'm going to read about hell, I want it to scare the sh*t out of me!
A.R.
None of the Edward Lee books are as good as the City Infernal trilogy, although House Infernal is my least favorite. It is amusing, however. Hell has evolved into a city! The Mephistopholis!
Glenda

This was a freaky book and the author has a hell of an imagination! I enjoyed the creepy tour through hell and must say he painted a
Frightening picture of it!!
Jon
Nov 24, 2008 Jon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
Not as riveting or as original as the other novels in the 'Infernal' series, but still an interesting read in the world only Edward Lee could make up.
Patrick
I really enjoyed the overall fell of this book, the story was really well written. Anyone interested in Horror would enjoy this book as well!
Russell
Not as good as City Infernal or Flesh Gothic for that matter. I guess if there is a "line" in Horror Lee crosses it gleefully
Elizabeth
So far this book is loads of fun. I'm looking forward to reading more Edward Lee. This is my first Edward Lee book.
Morgan Chalfant
Though the protagonists aren't as dynamic as Cassie, this was still a good read.
Rob C.
Nice ending to the trilogy...Lee's vision and gory details make this book one to own
Shane Kennedy
I liked a lot of things about this book but had a few issues with it as well.
Gavin Hurley
Nov 08, 2007 Gavin Hurley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Edward lee fans/ fans of hell
Shelves: extreme-horror
Not as good as City infernal, however still quite entertaining
  • The Resurrectionist
  • The Hour Before Dark
  • Cuts
  • Deep in the Darkness
  • The Jigsaw Man

Edward Lee was born (er, jettisoned) into the world on May 25, 1957, and was raised in Bowie, Md. He has sold 15 novels and continues to pursue the ludicrous profession of freelance writing. From 1976-79, he served in the U.S. Army Security Agency and then was transferred to the 1st Armored Division in Erlangen,...more
More about Edward Lee...
City Infernal (City Infernal, #1) Flesh Gothic Infernal Angel (City Infernal, #2) The Backwoods Slither