Start by marking “The Long & The Short of it” as Want to Read:
The Long & The Short of it

The Long & The Short of it

The Long & The Short of it is a collection of stories put together with a range of readers in mind. From the humorous to the heartfelt and the genuinely touching, there is something for everyone.

Whether it’s a man struggling with failing memory, a secret benefactor, school bullies or frantic parents there are no Jack Bauer cliffhangers and no bodice-ripping love scenes

Published November 21st 2013 by Emu Ink

To ask other readers questions about The Long & The Short of it, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long & The Short of it

Margaret Madden
Dec 03, 2014 Margaret Madden rated it liked it

I received a copy of this title, from the author, in return for an honest review...

Short stories, as a rule, tend to be overlooked. Collections are often purchased as gifts and pushed to the bottom of the reading piles in favour of the latest novel that everyone is talking about. However, Irish authors are not so hesitant to commit to a story under 3000 words. We have all read classic short stories from famous authors like James Joyce, Walter Macken and Edna O'Brien as well as the more modern c
Orla McAlinden
Sep 07, 2014 Orla McAlinden rated it liked it
A Gentle Restorative Remedy of a book.

I met AnnMarie a few days ago, when we both attended a writing workshop hosted by RTE Guide and Penguin Ireland- our prize for longlisting in the RTE/Penguin short story competition. Congratulations to Annmarie for longlisting.

i was struck by Annmarie's kindness, openness, bubbly sense of joy and fun. Also her deeply Christian take on life, deeply generous and welcoming, and not at all condemnatory. Afterwards, AnnMarie told me she had completed theological
Susan B
Mar 05, 2015 Susan B rated it liked it
There are 23 stories in this volume, the shortest just 100 words, and the longest over three thousand. So the author is right - these are stories 'you'll always have time for'. If you have just a little time, simply choose a briefer story to read.

While you can't judge a book by its cover, I have to admit I love the cover design. The author's name stands out and the hour glass with various alphabet letters running through it is a clever nod to the genre and subtitle.

The stories range from the poi
Carolann Copland
Jan 31, 2015 Carolann Copland rated it it was amazing
‘The Long & The Short of it’ is A roller coaster of emotions that are a balm to the mind and the soul. I thought that the title was pure genius for a collection of stories ranging from one hundred to three and a half thousand words. There’s no telling when you need a good read, how long you’re going to have, and I loved being able to pick and choose the length at will. Annmarie Miles’ stories are part of us all. They are the heroes of our lives who we suddenly recognise as we read (and ...more
Phoenix Grey
May 30, 2014 Phoenix Grey rated it liked it
I read the paperback version of this book, but as Goodreads doesn't seem to have it listed, I'll post under this version.

This book was enjoyable, it has some heart-warming stories, some heartbreaking stories, and some in-between. Some made me smile, they were really clever.

They are all different lengths. Some are several pages, some not even one page. But they are all written well, and with a knowledge of people that really brings the tales to life.

I enjoyed it, despite it being outside my us
Ruth Casey May
Ruth Casey May rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Eileen
Eileen rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Jan 10, 2014
Samantha Doyle
Samantha Doyle marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Annmarie Miles
Jul 26, 2014 Annmarie Miles added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Betty Macy
Betty Macy marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Annika
Annika marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
I'm a Christian and a writer, hoping to get better at both :)
Have been writing/blogging non-fiction since 2007, then in 2012 I started writing fiction.
1st collection of short stories published November 2013
2nd one on the way...
More about Annmarie Miles...