Start by marking “Paint It Black: A Guide to Gothic Homemaking” as Want to Read:
Paint It Black: A Guide to Gothic Homemaking

Paint It Black: A Guide to Gothic Homemaking

Home decorating will never be the same. Close your curtains Throw away your summery linens Forget about those white eyelet pillow covers And for Goth's sake, buy some black lights Voltaire is here to help you with your home decorating dilemmas, guide you through the hardware stores and decorating centers (which are so difficult for Goths to navigate), and lay it all out on ...more
Published August 30th 2005 by Weiser Books

To ask other readers questions about Paint It Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paint It Black

Allison Floyd
A fast read full of fun, easy, affordable projects (at least they seem to be--my forays into interior decorating tend to be of the armchair variety), many of which could be made to suit whatever aesthetic you might prefer. The tone of voice started to grate, though. While tongue and cheek remain well-acquainted throughout, just when I'd be sold that this book has the proper sense of humor about itself, there'd be a gem about Goths vs. Normals (i.e. The Normals Aren't Goths Because They're Afraid ...more
Katey
Nov 07, 2010 Katey rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 15-year-old Goths with no sense of irony
Shelves: non-fiction, crafty
Back when I was but a teenager, I supposed I was Goth (or whatever that meant in the mid-90's in suburban Chicago). Now I fully realise I wasn't; I was just weird and morbid and labeling was easiest back then.

Anyway, I still have some aesthetic tendencies that might be considered Gothic, but after reading this book, I see that I enjoy the subtler qualities of it. Thankfully the author poked much fun at the whole Goth mentality, and there were a few projects/ideas that I see as workable, like agi
Mer
Sep 25, 2007 Mer rated it it was ok
Shelves: hottopic
Nudge nudge, wink wink, all the way to the bank.
Elaine Meszaros
Dec 03, 2014 Elaine Meszaros rated it it was amazing
Want to be Gother than thou on a minimal budget? Voltaire has it all - gothing out your home with paint, fabric, electrical tape and a glue gun. As with his fantastic music (Ex-Lover’s Lover, When You’re Evil), comic books (O My Goth!) and other books (What is Goth - featuring the gothic poem generator) the book is dark dark, darkity-dark while also being ridiculously, totally over the top silly and fun. Not planning to paint it black? Read it anyway, just for Voltaire’s commentary.

"The Glue Gun
Siiri Cressey
I want Voltaire to decorate my house. I don't care what my landlord says.
Victoria
Jan 31, 2012 Victoria rated it it was ok
Found this book listed on a booksellers website under "Weird Titles" so I added it to my "must read list". I was thinking this would be a book about some cool crafts that other Goths had made and was sharing or pictures of rooms decorated in a Goth style. What I got instead was again another "how to" book. No surprises here. Want to make something Goth? Spray paint it black, throw in some black electrical tape, add some skulls, bats or dried flowers and there you go, (or should I say there you G ...more
Laura Morrigan
A short, enjoyable guide to some aspects of Goth decorating told with tongue in cheek humour. The advice is also good for those on a low budget. I enjoyed reading it but never used any of the tips, so while it was enjoyable, it wasn't much use to me, but then again I have more Victorian/Steampunk taste in design. I did like the graveyard cake, though. I enjoyed how the book encouraged people to do things their own way, such as having a wedding that reflects who you are not what others want.
David
Apr 29, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
A guide to gothic homemaking, he says. Damn right, he is! Although this little gem is a bit too tiny to my likings, it's filled with great info and ideas for transforming the most boring dorm room into a somptuous gothic den. From modifying toys to covering walls with draperies, you can be sure this book will help you. However, it's a quick read; a few more projects should have been included to justify the price.
Julie
Jan 01, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
This book is not only HILARIOUS, but also inspired a renewed interest in domesticity in myself. Granted, it was an off-kilter version of domesticity, but still led to a number of projects that made me happy for years after. (I mourn the loss of my gothsheepy...)
Natalie Carey
Jan 23, 2016 Natalie Carey rated it it was amazing
This book is a lot of fun! Silly but full of great ideas for goth-ing up your home. ^.^ Especially with customizing things to your liking and tastes. Definitely worth reading and having on had for future projects.
Skullgirl22
Nov 27, 2012 Skullgirl22 rated it it was amazing
Great book for DIY Gothic decorating from artist and singer Voltaire. If you are a craft oriented person or even if you are not,the book has very easy and cool ideas to decorate your gothic lair.
Spooky
Jan 08, 2015 Spooky rated it it was amazing
This book is so much fun! It gave me some great ideas for xmas presents, decorating my apartment and birthday cakes. A must-have for any crafty Goth!
Kimberly Tien
Oct 27, 2008 Kimberly Tien rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Goths.
Recommended to Kimberly Tien by: My mom.
Shelves: gothic-reads
Love this book! Teaches the norms of Gothic living and how to make your living space decked out Victorian!
Willa Grant
May 03, 2008 Willa Grant rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with goth aspirations
I LOVE this little gem- how to make a goth living space in a few short pages- Voltaire rocks!
Danielle Ryder
Mar 15, 2013 Danielle Ryder rated it it was ok
Neat ideas, but could have found everything contained on the internet as well, so...
Zombaby Cera
Oct 27, 2008 Zombaby Cera rated it really liked it
Brilliant ideas in gothic home-making! Lots of humor as well.
Danyell
Feb 26, 2008 Danyell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with taste
essential to keeping-up house!
Adrienne
Apr 12, 2008 Adrienne marked it as to-read
Because it sounds funny.
Megan Troyer
Megan Troyer marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Arthur Roy
Arthur Roy rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Jesus Homero Pacheco
Jesus Homero Pacheco marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Mike Mateo
Mike Mateo marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Maxime
Maxime marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Serenity
Serenity marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Kelly Coffelt
Kelly Coffelt marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
  • Gothic and Lolita
  • Touch Me, I'm Sick: The 52 Creepiest Love Songs You've Ever Heard
  • World's Best Fairy Tales
  • Johnny the Homicidal Maniac #4
  • The Final Curtain (GloomCookie, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Gothica