Start by marking “The Portable Voltaire” as Want to Read:
The Portable Voltaire

The Portable Voltaire

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Satirist, novelist, poet, dramatist, historian, moralist, critic, courtier, and correspondent, champion of reason and fanatical adversary of fanaticism, a darling of kings with the unfortunate habit of turning them into enemies, François Arouet de Voltaire is one of the few writers to have imposed his name on an entire epoch. It is entirely appropriate that the French Enli ...more
Published July 28th 1977 by Penguin Books (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Portable Voltaire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portable Voltaire

The Norton Anthology of English Literature Vol. 1 by M.H. AbramsAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2 by M.H. AbramsThe Portable Enlightenment Reader by Isaac KramnickThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
World Lit From 1600 to the Present: Basic Seminar Texts
66th out of 119 books — 16 voters
A World of Possibility by Christopher  ShieldsA World of Romance by Christopher  ShieldsStories and Scripts by Zack LoveThe Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol 1 by M.H. AbramsThe Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2 by M.H. Abrams
Anthologies
179th out of 253 books — 138 voters

More lists with this book...

Jarir
A genius for all time. Highly accessible and if you do not want to read the entire book it is easy to read by parts because this contains different works of his.

Some outstanding parts to me:
"The soul", he said, "is a pure spirit which has received in its mother's womb all metaphysical ideas and which, on leaving it, has to go to school to learn over again what it knew so well, and will never know again".p 433

One of the greatest benefits you can confer upon mankind is to trample under foot super
Christian
I will be honest I have not read the whole dictionary or all the letters. The letters are just to pompous. Candide is a really great read. Voltaire is definately worth the time to read especiialy if you like Vonnegut, Dostoevsky, Sarte, or Camus.
Bob Nichols
In this selection of Voltaire's writings, three pieces in particular stand out. "Candide," the story of travels by a young man of that name, reads like a bad dream. Candide goes from one unfortunate situation to another in pursuit of his love. Each of his events is an opportunity for Voltaire to poke at the standard conventions of his day, particularly those espoused or manifested by religious leaders who are venal and corrupt, philosophers who are are thoughtless or foolish, and the powerful wh ...more
Jason Schwartzman
really good intro by famous rapper redman. there's lots of good stuff here, one of my favorite parts voltaire's poem about the lisbon earthquake that he wrote bc because he thinks such a tragedy needs to have some art dedicated to it rather than philo text walls but till can't help sticking in page long footnotes.
Anthony Zupancic
Voltaire is funny. That is enough for me. He also has a critical eye that exposes absurdity and societal problems. Like Ambrose Bierce's "The Devil's Dictionary," the passages from "Selections..." are amazing nuggets of satirical craft that are a delight to read.
Frances Margaret
I remember picking this up at the university library and I had to take it home with me. Good stuff. Was not able to finish the entire thing though as I had to return it to the library. I haven't found a copy of that book anywhere...
Rtweneboah
Voltaire's 'Philosophical Dictionary' is one of my favorite reads and I personally enjoy 'Zadig' more than 'Candide', but it's nice to have many of his works in one book... So it's easy to refer to time and time again.
Pablo
Great allegories, and short stories. I particularly like "Zadig" as a fictional character in one of Voltaire's allegories. I stopped at three stars solely because I rushed through the last quarter of the book do to a slight loss of interest, and interruption by another book I had on my list, and was a bit desperate to read, hehe.
Joe Petri
I had pulled this off the shelf with the intent of just rereading Candide,and found pulled back in to this book. Voltaire's wit and relevancy stand the test of time, though for anyone unfamiliar with his work, I wouldn't recommend sitting down and writing this compilation of essays and non-fiction in hte order presented. Start with Candide and Zadig and then work your way back up front to
the philosophic essays or correspondence.
Casey
I haven't read the entire works, simply the translation of Candide done by Richard Aldington. It proved to be an incredibly easy and accessible read. Not something I expected from such an old book. I must say I prefer the excitement and hilarity embodied in Leonard Bernstein's stage musical version of Candide, but the book has its moments.
Benjamin Davidson
I recommend Candide in particular, the satirical story of a group of travelers fleeing war, and finding more and more senseless suffering as they go, accompanied by someone who seems to have pondered the problem of evil and come to the conclusion that this must be the best conceivable world as a result.
Liza
Wittiness at its best! Voltaire could be categorized as the king of quick thinking and come backs. I enjoyed reading this book but my favorite section is the Philosophical Dictionary, which shows how clever he was and why people enjoyed his company at the court of Versailles.

Corwin
This is a great window into the mind of Voltaire: his reflections on morality and mortality and art, his playful sarcasm, and his passion for reason, justice, and beauty. This could well be the perfect introduction to the enormously influential Enlightenment thinker.
John
What a strange character--slipping in and out of theism, becoming Frederick's pet, whining about his poor health and imminent death for 40 years… and how did "Candide" ever become more famous than the far superior "Zadig"?
Dana
Ah Voltaire. I found this in my room the other day. The front and back are still relabeled with a different title. After encouragement from my college friends, I changed it to the much more appropriate "The Wandering Voltaire".
Steve
If you like Kurt Vonnegut, read Voltaire! He's amazing! The philosophical dictionary is as hilarious as it is informative. All his fiction is great, but probably his best works are the lesser known ones.
Patrick
This book contains some of Voltaire's classic novellas and short stories, including Ingenu and Micromegas, which are two of my favorites (besides the always popular Candide).
Stephanie U.
Candide and Zadig are two of my favorite stories. They are quick reads and very entertaining. Voltaire's philosophical dictionary is also worth reading.
Paul Squires
Oct 18, 2008 Paul Squires rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody.
Voltaire is beyond description. There will never be another writer anything like him. Reading his work is the pursuit of a lifetime.
Robert Corrao
Great insights into one of the leaders of the Enlightement and a courageous critic of the religious aristocrats of the time.
Wendy
Jan 24, 2009 Wendy is currently reading it
this is my "while eating dinner" book. he is light hearted, funny, and a great way to calm down my day.
James Spada
I love Voltaire but I don't think he would get no child left behind in its full magnitude.
Peter Holst
Some amazing stuff and a lot of highly esoteric essays that I will likely never absorb.
Valerie Van Haltern
all Voltaire is worth reading and also, his Dictionary
Lindsay
Feisty and funny. Not sure about the politics.
Tim
It was very good, I am glad I read it.
Danielle
edited by ben ray redman in 1949, this is a very good collection of voltaire's work: shorts, essays, letters and his philosophical dictionary. i have a few other publications of voltaire's work that aren't viking penguin but have not yet compared the translations. i generally find, though, that viking penguin translations aren't that bad.
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Donalula
Donalula is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2015
  • The Portable Karl Marx
  • The Portable Thoreau
  • Selected Writings
  • The Portable Machiavelli
  • The Waste Books
  • The Portable Edmund Burke
  • The Portable Plato
  • Passions of the Renaissance (A History of Private Life, #3)
  • From the Fires of Revolution to the Great War (A History of Private Life, #4)
  • From Pagan Rome to Byzantium (A History of Private Life, #1)
  • Bible and Sword: England and Palestine from the Bronze Age to Balfour
  • Revelations of the Medieval World (A History of Private Life, #2)
  • The Complete Works
  • The Portable Hannah Arendt
  • The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung
  • A Path Where No Man Thought: Nuclear Winter and Its Implications
  • The Portable Oscar Wilde
  • Selected Writings
In 1694, Age of Enlightenment leader Francois-Marie Arouet, known as Voltaire, was born in Paris. Jesuit-educated, he began writing clever verses by the age of 12. He launched a lifelong, successful playwriting career in 1718, interrupted by imprisonment in the Bastille. Upon a second imprisonment, in which Francois adopted the pen name Voltaire, he was released after agreeing to move to London. T ...more
More about Voltaire...
Candide Zadig Candide and Other Stories (World's Classics) Candide, Zadig and Selected Stories Micromegas