Start by marking “Carmen” as Want to Read:
Carmen

Carmen

3.53  ·  Rating Details ·  2,232 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Carmen is a novella by Prosper Mérimée, written & 1st published in 1845. It has been adapted into a number of dramatic works, including the famous opera by Georges Bizet. According to a letter Mérimée wrote to the Countess of Montijo, Carmen was inspired by a story she told him on his visit to Spain in 1830. He said, "It was about that ruffian from Málaga who had ...more
Published January 29th 2003 by Hachette Fle (first published October 1st 1845)

To ask other readers questions about Carmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carmen

Ana Maria Rînceanu
What I find most fascinating about the story is the author. Mérimée was clearly interested in the basic desires of man, but masks his work under a scholastic, moralizing tone. Despite all of that, we are still enthralled by the passion Carmen and Don Jose show, by their complex psychological profiles an their crimes. They would both rather die than to compromise with one another. Carmen will not compromise her belief system, her honor as a gypsy, while Don Jose does abandon his Basque hidalgo ...more
Sep 16, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bettie, Carey, Wanda
From BBC Radio 4 - 15 Minute Drama:
Destiny, jealousy and desire combine in Dan Allum's dramatisation of Merimee's novella.

Free download available at Project Gutenbeg.

A magnificent and unforgettable movie Carmem (1983) was made based on this book, directed by Carlos Saura, with Antonio Gades, Laura del Sol, Paco de Lucía.

AGamarra
Nov 01, 2016 AGamarra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, clásicos
Realmente me sorprendió mucho esta obra. En verdad es corta y se puede leer en un día. Cuenta la historia de Carmen, gitana, uno de los primeros ejemplos de femme fatale en la historia. Más que la historia de Carmen y de sus encantos, o de su supuesta habilidad diabólica e inteligente, me gustó mucho la prosa de Mérimée, que si bien es cierto es sencilla te da una atmósfera de mucha confianza y te permite seguir la historia de una forma pura y ágil. También simpaticé con el personaje de José, ...more
Jose lana
Feb 14, 2016 Jose lana rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Carmen a everibody knows had inspired the famous opera by Bizet.

This short novel tells the tragic love between Jose a spanish army officer from Navarra and Carmen a gypsy from Andalucia,by this love Jose becomes a bandit;narrated by Jose himself to a french arqueologist is full of sparking dialogues,spanish gypsy slang,yet translated to normal spanish,and a few short but precise descriptions.

Carmen as Colomba(the other heroine of Merimee a woman from Corcega island of strong personality and prin
Victoria Mixon
Dec 24, 2013 Victoria Mixon rated it really liked it
All my reading life I've heard of the quintessential Carmen, the wild gypsy woman who led hooligan bands and smugglers throughout Spain until she was a living legend. What a pleasure to finally read Prosper Merimee's classic 1830 rendition of the legend he heard from his friend the Contessa de Montijo in Madrid.

Carmen's clearly the seed from which sprang such marvelous creations as Catherine Earnshaw and Augusta Geraldine Alaisda of Gondal. This is storytelling based on the grand oral tradition,
Kurtlu
carmen balesi yüzü suyu hürmetine okudum ama büyük hayal kırıklığı yaşadım. nedense bir marquez esintisi, bir carlos saura temposu bekledim. maalesef bulduğum yüzeysel bir hikaye ve vasat bir çeviri oldu.
başlangıçta anlatıcının "şurdan geçerken böyle birine rastladım" diye romanın asıl kahramanlarından bahsetmeye geçmesi, "fransız etkisi, dumas gibi" şeklinde düşünmeme yol açtı. ama okudukça "nerde dumaaaas, nerde merimeeee"ye dönüştü düşüncelerim. olay örgüsü ne yazık ki iyi oluşturulamamış. d
Maan Kawas
Aug 23, 2013 Maan Kawas rated it really liked it
A beautiful novella, full of dramatic events, passionate love, seduction, jealousy, immorality, and freedom of spirit! The main frame of the novella was about the gypsies and their lives, but the core is about the fatal love between the gypsy woman Carmen (Carmencita), which lead to her death by her lover Don Jose. Carmen who works in a cigar factory manipulates the inexperienced corporal Don Jose, originally from Navarre but works in Malaga, to let her escape the imprisonment. Actually, the ...more
Kilian Metcalf
Nov 12, 2015 Kilian Metcalf rated it really liked it
So much fun to read the origin of one of the world's most popular opera. I'll be seeing my first live version this season in Tucson. In preparation, I've been watching video and film versions. My favorite is the Jonas Kaufman/Kate Aldrich live performance from Orange, France. Close second is the film adaptation starring Placido Domingo and Julia Migenes. That's her face on the book cover. In that film, even the horses got into the mood, twitching their tails in time to the music at times.

There i
Dalia Fawzy
Aug 13, 2014 Dalia Fawzy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: كلاسيك
من احب الكلاسيكيات لقلبي ؛ يمكن علشان اجواء الغجر و البيئة الاندلسية ؛ او فكرة المرأة شديدة الأنوثة ؛ او النهاية المأساوية الساحرة للرواية ؛ او يمكن علشان اوبرا كارمن من احب الموسيقى الكلاسيكية لقلبي ...

بإختصار كارمن رواية انا بقراها بـ حِس غير محايد ؛ تحس انك عايش احداثها بنفسك ؛ شايفهم بيتحركو قدامك .

ميريمييه بيحط نفسه كجزء من القصة ؛ انه مسافر لرحلة لأندلوسيا ؛ و بيتقابل مع دون خوسيه و كارمن ؛ و بعدها بيتحول السرد لـ دون خوسيه اللي بيحكي لـ ميرميه حكايته و بدايات معرفته بكارمن.

كارمن هي نموذج
zeinab
Dec 27, 2015 zeinab rated it liked it
كارمن الغجريه المتحرره المتنقله بين الرجال كالفراشه
بقاله يمكن اكتر من سنتين عايزه أقراكى واعرف مين اللى كتبك وسر شهرتك

كتبها الفرنسى بروسبر سيريجيه ويمكن انا مليش تجارب برده ف الادب الفرنسى
انما هو قدر يخلينى اتخيل الشخصيه تمام وكمان العاشق المجنون دون جوزيه وفهمت من مصارع التيران الى كان قى كارمن محمد صبحى

كارمن المسرحيه الورقيه مشتهرتش قد كارمن الاوبراليه
وكمان شارلى شابلن عرض لدورها ف السينما الصامته

ويتبقى شهاده يوسف السباعى كارمن الغجريه المرأه بلاقيد

يوما ما سأرى الفيلم وسأذهب لأشاهدها فى الاوبر
Jennine (Cheska) Punzalan
I am sure this is one of those works where the adapted version is better. Carmen is such an intriguing character - undoubtedly an icon now - but she's not the star in this nouvelle. I probably would have been more interested if it was the opposite; however, analysis of the narrative voices still makes the read intriguing, though not by much.
Sylvester
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Might be slightly slanted to the romantic side of the Romany life - but it is very appealing, however you look at it. Carmen is the quintessential strong woman heroine, absolutely irresistible as a protagonist, in my opinion. The BBC dramatization was probably awesome - I'm sorry I missed it.
Erika
A ton of culture has spawned from this novella, so I'm obviously not here to argue its importance.

I liked this story. I have nothing else really to say about it. I found it compelling and the characters were well-drawn. It didn't blow my mind, but it didn't disappoint me either.
Joshua
Sep 26, 2012 Joshua rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, french, kindle
Slightly intriguing, but mostly underdeveloped. I only give it an extra star because it somehow inspired some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.
Zei
Apr 08, 2015 Zei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esmeralda de l'Espagne gitane et ensorceleuse...femme dominante plus futée qu'un renard et plus agile qu'un cerf; voleuse de coeurs et de corps.
Swarnadeep Banik
reading this book was like reading the story of a very low adrenaline rush sergio leone's film. quite good.
Reda
Oct 29, 2016 Reda rated it liked it
Shelves: paper, 2013-reads
Kiekviena moteris blogybė; bet dviem atvejais esti gera: meilės lovoje arba mirties patale.
Sidik Fofana
Oct 21, 2015 Sidik Fofana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SIX WORD REVIEW: Gypsy woman and femme fatale originale.
Max
Oct 27, 2016 Max rated it liked it
Really glad I read this for a class and not on my own—I was taken aback and bothered by the exoticization and othering that was happening here. Our discussion opened my mind to the idea of Mérimée's conscious and deliberate framing of "otherness"—as well as his distancing of himself (from the narrator and, subsequently, from Don José) from Carmen—as wildly transgressive. This text can be explored much more deeply than through the mere lens of narrative and character and, while I don't think I'll ...more
Mateo R.
Intertextualidad

Menciones directas:
* Poema breve "Es hiel la mujer..." de Palladas (Grecia, s. IV) (epígrafe).
* Bellum Hispaniense, anónimo (Roma, s. I a.C.).
* De bello Gallico (o Comentarios sobre la guerra de las Galias) de Julio César (Roma, s. I a.C.).
* The Zincali – An Account of the Gypsies of Spain de George Borrow (Inglaterra, 1841) (alusión).
* Amores de Publio Ovidio Nasón (Roma, 16. a.C.) (cita: "Casta quam nemo rogavit").
* Los misterios de París de Eugène Sue (Francia, 1843).
* Mención
Arquero
Oct 08, 2016 Arquero rated it liked it
A precursor novel. I'm not usually hard on such experiments. & I like Prosper's style.
Alice
Aug 05, 2012 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec Carmen?

"Encore une rencontre faite grâce à Christian Lacroix et son magnifique coffret!"

Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoire...

"Le narrateur nous relate sa rencontre avec Carmen et avec Don José, qui nous racontera son histoire d'amour avec la belle gitane..."

Mais que s'est-il exactement passé entre vous?

"Mérimée nous parle d'abord de voyages, de paysages et de rencontres et ce n'est finalement qu'à la moitié de ce court récit q
Marcos Junior
Nov 05, 2014 Marcos Junior rated it it was ok
Carmen é mais conhecida pela ópera de Bizet, que acabou ofuscando o pequeno romance de Mérimée.

Percebe-se que a adaptação é bem livre, preservando apenas o núcleo central da estória, o romance entre Carmen e Don José, e seus personagens centrais. Só que também há diferencas mais profundas como o caráter de Don José, aqui bem menos romântico e mais passional, o que justifica mais o final da estória.

Interessante também que, a maneira das tragédias gregas, especialmente Édipo, primeiro ficamos conh
Beatriz Chavarri
Sería realmente 3,5, pero no me siento muy generosa, así que en 3 se queda. Ahora bien ¿por qué una puntuación tan baja para una historia que siempre me ha fascinado, a raíz de la famosísima ópera de George Bizet, y aún a pesar de que leí volando la novela y me resultó amena y fresca? Pues porque si algo me molesta en literatura es la voz del autor, y en Carmen se siente demasiado a Merimée creando una historia de amor y traición entre un soldado vasco navarro y una gitana andaluza para demostra ...more
Desclian
I read this book in conjunction with watching the opera for a class in opera and literature, and I found both to be very much uncompelling. In the case of the opera, I think I can chalk it up to my inexperience with the artform (I had seen only one other opera before Carmen), but I think I can certainly say that this book was rather subpar. The set-up is rather characteristic of the type (a lone scholar journeys into an unknown land and meets a noble yet dangerous man who tells him a story, ...more
Nuno Chaves
Aug 19, 2010 Nuno Chaves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
pela voz de um narrador, descobrimos Carmen o original de Prosper Merimée que mais tarde viria a tornar-se (graças a Bizet), numa das óperas mais vistas e queridas de sempre. Num encontro com José Navarro, temivél e sobejamente conhecido bandido, o nosso orador descobre a enigmática Carmen que consegue obter tudo o que deseja graças à sua beleza, uma cigana estonteante e misteriosa que encanta e seduz os homens, enlouquecendo-os e enfeitiçando-os, até conseguir os seus objectivos.

Louco de ciúmes
Grissell
Jul 24, 2009 Grissell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Who can say whether the sun is most beautiful at dawn or at dusk? Who can tell whether the olive tree or the almond is the more beautiful? Who can tell whether Andalusia or Valencia breeds the bravest knight?"

پروسپر مریمه نویسنده فرانسوی است که به تاریخ نویسی هم معروف است
کارمن در واقع یک داستان اسپانیاییست که مریمه آن را بازنویسی کرده و ماجرای
دختر کولی زیبا و فریبنده ایست که مردان را به کمک زیبایی خود به بردگی خویش
در میاره
در میان این مردان دون خوزه بی پاسخ موندن عشقش رو تحمل نمیکنه و کارمن
Huda Aweys
She honestly loved Jose .. , She wasn't liar , evil or a demon , but Jose was just a coward and she was so brave ! .. he was afraid of freedom , change his life , travel or take a risk and she was adored them all ! , and he was treated her badly and cruelly so , claiming to he loves her ! ..
they weren't befit each other simply !
...
He was going to leave her once , claiming to the duty ! ,
but while he did , his officer came and because of his recklessness and dash ,he lost his job , not because
May
Jul 30, 2014 May rated it really liked it
I came across this novella by accident today. It was appealing and I read it without any interruption. Actually I didn't get the emotional bond that Don José has for Carmen. Why did he fall for her so blindly? She was just a back luck for him. His life could have been better without her, but he chose to do horrid things because of her. I understand that the romace of the story was not the whole point. Carmen is interesting as a protagonist. Moreover, the author could persuade the reader to ...more
Selina
Eine schöne Novelle, die in Spanien spielt. Die ersten zwei Akte waren ganz ok, aber de dritte Akt hat mir richtig gut gefallen. Der vierte Akt gehört ja gar nicht mehr zur eigentlichen Story und liefert Hintergründ zum fahrenden Volk.
Carmen ist eine literarische Umsetzung der femme fatale und als Charakter sehr interessant. Am Besten gefiel mir jedoch die Figur von Don José und die Wandlung, die er durch Carmen durchmacht.
Vom Französischen her, fand ich es nicht ganz einfach zu lesen, da mir vi
Goodreads Librari...: Corrected page count 4 16 Oct 09, 2015 06:31PM
  • Sylvie
  • The Poor Clare
  • Polikuchka
  • The Duel
  • Le Mariage de Figaro
  • The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard
  • Le jeu de l'amour et du hasard
  • O Mandarim
  • The Lemoine Affair
  • Armance
  • Moderato cantabile
  • The Nice Old Man and the Pretty Girl
Prosper Mérimée was a French dramatist, historian, archaeologist, and short story writer. He is perhaps best known for his novella Carmen, which became the basis of Bizet's opera Carmen.
Mérimée loved mysticism, history, and the unusual, and may have been influenced by Charles Nodier (though he did not appreciate his works), the historical fiction popularised by Sir Walter Scott and the cruelty and
More about Prosper Mérimée...

“I'll follow you, even to death—but I won't live with you any more.” 18 likes