Start by marking “Forgive the River, Forgive the Sky” as Want to Read:
Forgive the River, Forgive the Sky

Forgive the River, Forgive the Sky

Other Editions: Hardcover

Twelve-year-old Lily Star loves the Sandy River, which flows through the small northern town that she s lived in all her life. "But as much as I love it," she says, "I can t forgive it." She holds the grudge because her father died while fishing on the river—and her whole life changed after that.

She and her mother had to leave the cabin in the woo

Published October 21st 2003 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Forgive the River, Forgive the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgive the River, Forgive the Sky

Jessica
Dec 03, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Gloria Whelan is a great author. This book was a great read. I really liked it. This book is about a young girls journey to healing after her father's death. Would highly reccomend reading this book.
Michael Kemp
Jun 17, 2010 Michael Kemp rated it really liked it
Lily Star lived in a cabin in the woods near a river. The river had the best trout fishing, and sadly her father lost his life in the river. Because of the financial strain put on the family after the passing of her father, Lily and her mother were forced to move and live above the family hardware store. Even though Lily loves the river, she still can’t “forgive” it for taking her father. She also resents the fact that T.R., a hermit in a wheelchair, has moved into the cabin.
However, over time s
Kayla Baker
Feb 13, 2015 Kayla Baker rated it liked it
Shelves: books-1-12
Losing a father can be a hard thing, but to lose your home and the life you had there makes it all the worse. This is the case for Lily. The home on the river had to be sold after her father died. And now the new owner is putting up a fence. She can no longer get to the river. For her this is a love hate relationship for it was the river that took her father from her. How can she ever forgive it for that?

The story of twelve year old Lily is a sad one. I liked the setting. The author definitely k
Barbara
Oct 29, 2008 Barbara rated it it was amazing
As in many of her other books, Ms. Whelan shows her understanding of young people who are struggling with major changes in their lives. In this book, twelve-year-old Lily is not only grieving over the loss of her father, who had drowned in the river they had loved and fished together, but she's mourning the loss of the cabin in the woods by that river -- where she had grown up -- to a hostile stranger who shuts her and the rest of the world out. She hates the city and determines that she will fi ...more
Janie  R. Freeman
May 19, 2016 Janie R. Freeman rated it it was amazing
"I wondered as I licked them away why tears were salty. And why do you have to keep losing people like the tops off toothpaste tubes or your sunglasses? People ought to come with strings on them to hold on to. But I guess it's like the birds and flowers that come and go. You can't hang on to them. They have their seasons."
Even though I felt sad for the main character in the story, an important lesson of life was learned. Sometimes, forgiveness is difficult to do, especially when it involves a
Shanae
Jul 16, 2013 Shanae rated it liked it
I liked this book it was overall alright. I thought it had a good story line and it was a pretty good pace book. I liked how the main character was learning to forgive and to let go of the past and eventually the passing of her father. I think it was a good book about letting go and coming at peace with one's self.

I would recommend this book to someone who wanted to learn to forgive and to let go. I think it is a good book about learning to realize that other people struggle sometimes too.

Warni
Meg Rumbaugh
Feb 15, 2015 Meg Rumbaugh rated it liked it
Shelves: 1-12
The theme of forgiveness is strong in this book. I believe that it is good for young readers to become familiar with this. Through the book you follow a 12 year old girl who has lost her father and has to figure out her life after that tragedy. As the book progresses she comes to terms with things and discovers what it means to forgive.
Katy
Jul 08, 2016 Katy rated it liked it
Book 8 of my Summer Reading Challenge to my students: A young girl is unforgiving to the river where her beloved father drowned. Because of his death, her mother had to sell the cabin where they lived. The man who bought it has enclosed it and has secrets and is unforgiving as well.

Life Lesson: We all grieve, but we must learn acceptance and how to embrace change.
LeAnne
Feb 16, 2016 LeAnne rated it really liked it
Beautifully written story of two people getting over deep pain and loss, set in northern Michigan. Although Eerdmans' is a religious publisher, God is only mentioned briefly on p. 95, "I knew the Lord wasn't through with me ."
Martha Valasek
Jul 24, 2014 Martha Valasek rated it really liked it
A story about a girl who lost her father in a drowning accident and a pilot who lost the use of his legs from a plane accident. They are brought together and heal because of their friendship.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Two unlikely friends help each other heal, one from the death of her father, the other from the accident that handicapped him.
Wesley
Wesley rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was ok
May 02, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Family
Family rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Kyra Rutter
Apr 14, 2010 Kyra Rutter added it
Recommends it for: any one
I am really liking this book its full of meanings
Juliekjjay
Juliekjjay rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2012
Lily
Lily rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2008
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2008
Jean Doolittle
Jean Doolittle rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Chloe Owens
Chloe Owens rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2016
Ikirunda
Ikirunda rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2013
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2013
Katie Emmanuelle
Katie Emmanuelle rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2011
Alana
Alana rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2008
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2008
Missmath144
Missmath144 marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2010
Madeleine
Madeleine marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2010
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2010
M.
M. marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2010
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2011
Kim
Kim added it
Jul 24, 2011
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2011
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
Katelyn
Katelyn marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2012
Kelsey Rudy
Kelsey Rudy marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Maisha
Maisha marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2013
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Luqa
Luqa marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Book Lover!
Book Lover! marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Janna C
Janna C marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Gloria Whelan is the best-selling author of many novels for young readers, including Homeless Bird, winner of the National Book Award; Friutlands: Louisa May Alcott Made Perfect; Angel on the Square and its companion, The Impossible Journey; Once on this Island, winner of the Great Lakes Book Award; Farewell to the Island; and Return to the Island. She lives with her husband, Joseph, in the woods ...more
More about Gloria Whelan...