Start by marking “Forgive the River, Forgive the Sky” as Want to Read:
Forgive the River, Forgive the Sky

Forgive the River, Forgive the Sky

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Other Editions: Hardcover

Twelve-year-old Lily Star loves the Sandy River, which flows through the small northern town that she s lived in all her life. "But as much as I love it," she says, "I can t forgive it." She holds the grudge because her father died while fishing on the river—and her whole life changed after that.

She and her mother had to leave the cabin in the woo

Published October 21st 2003 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Forgive the River, Forgive the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgive the River, Forgive the Sky

Gloria Whelan is a great author. This book was a great read. I really liked it. This book is about a young girls journey to healing after her father's death. Would highly reccomend reading this book.
Kayla Baker
Losing a father can be a hard thing, but to lose your home and the life you had there makes it all the worse. This is the case for Lily. The home on the river had to be sold after her father died. And now the new owner is putting up a fence. She can no longer get to the river. For her this is a love hate relationship for it was the river that took her father from her. How can she ever forgive it for that?

The story of twelve year old Lily is a sad one. I liked the setting. The author definitely k
Michael Kemp
Lily Star lived in a cabin in the woods near a river. The river had the best trout fishing, and sadly her father lost his life in the river. Because of the financial strain put on the family after the passing of her father, Lily and her mother were forced to move and live above the family hardware store. Even though Lily loves the river, she still can’t “forgive” it for taking her father. She also resents the fact that T.R., a hermit in a wheelchair, has moved into the cabin.
However, over time s
Meg Rumbaugh
The theme of forgiveness is strong in this book. I believe that it is good for young readers to become familiar with this. Through the book you follow a 12 year old girl who has lost her father and has to figure out her life after that tragedy. As the book progresses she comes to terms with things and discovers what it means to forgive.
As in many of her other books, Ms. Whelan shows her understanding of young people who are struggling with major changes in their lives. In this book, twelve-year-old Lily is not only grieving over the loss of her father, who had drowned in the river they had loved and fished together, but she's mourning the loss of the cabin in the woods by that river -- where she had grown up -- to a hostile stranger who shuts her and the rest of the world out. She hates the city and determines that she will fi ...more
Martha Valasek
A story about a girl who lost her father in a drowning accident and a pilot who lost the use of his legs from a plane accident. They are brought together and heal because of their friendship.
I liked this book it was overall alright. I thought it had a good story line and it was a pretty good pace book. I liked how the main character was learning to forgive and to let go of the past and eventually the passing of her father. I think it was a good book about letting go and coming at peace with one's self.

I would recommend this book to someone who wanted to learn to forgive and to let go. I think it is a good book about learning to realize that other people struggle sometimes too.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Two unlikely friends help each other heal, one from the death of her father, the other from the accident that handicapped him.
Kyra Rutter
Apr 14, 2010 Kyra Rutter added it
Recommends it for: any one
I am really liking this book its full of meanings
Beiza added it
Nov 15, 2015
Wesley marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Janna C
Janna C marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Book Lover!
Book Lover! marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Aimee marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Luqa marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Maisha marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2013
Kelsey Rudy
Kelsey Rudy marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Gloria Whelan is the best-selling author of many novels for young readers, including Homeless Bird, winner of the National Book Award; Friutlands: Louisa May Alcott Made Perfect; Angel on the Square and its companion, The Impossible Journey; Once on this Island, winner of the Great Lakes Book Award; Farewell to the Island; and Return to the Island. She lives with her husband, Joseph, in the woods ...more
More about Gloria Whelan...