Start by marking “Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried” as Want to Read:
Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried

Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried (Preacher #5)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  15,892 Ratings  ·  198 Reviews
Alternate cover edition
Published October 30th 1998 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Preacher, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preacher, Volume 5

Stephen
It's a no doubter that this is foul, blasphemous and brutally violent...

However, it's equally doubt free that this is powerfully evocative, brilliantly original and darkly humorous...

It's 100% sans doubt that this is a kudo-worthy masterpiece of American pop literature...

So please put your hands together and give it up for......PREACHER
Photobucket

I’ve read a veritable parking lot full of comics/graphic novels and consider myself some+what of an aficionado of the genre. I’ve also read several pounds short
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
Just gets better and better. This series is definitely not for everyone, but for those who like offensive, violent, whacked shizz, this is the best. Lots of good stuff happening in this one. It starts out with Cassidy blowing down the highway, when suddenly sirens are behind him and he's about to get pulled over. He yells out to the cops who have pulled up beside him:

"Hey! Sheriff! I f***ed yer wife last night!"

(Sheriff fires his weapon at Cassidy and takes off half the back of his head.)

Cassi
Mark Lawrence
This is a 3* as in good, rather than a fuck-you 3*

I bought this for myself as a Christmas present and I've enjoyed reading it. The artwork is good, the characterisation and dialogue excellent, the story ... not bad. It's significantly better than #4 which nearly turned me away from the series. It does not however (for me) have the brilliance of the first two books. Book one really grabbed hold of me, it was fresh, exciting, unpredictable, I didn't know what I had hold of and I liked it. This epi
Brad
Ahhh Assface, what a delightfully understated comic/tragic character. To say that I'm invested in all these wonderful and wacky characters is a bit of an understatement, too. They're all going to haunt my nightmares and will have pushed my boundaries for what is acceptable in polite company, too. Gotta love it.

So yeah, we're moving out of the backstory stage and back onto the main quest, mainly, to hunt down god and make him answer for all his dastardly deeds, but first, let's get away from bein
Kemper
Jul 22, 2009 Kemper rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, sky-cake, preacher
Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon are vile and disgusting men who should be banned from the comics industry!

What did they do to so offend me, you ask? Was it the multiple depictions of incredibly graphic violence, including skull shattering gunshots and people getting their faces cut off? No, years of American television has desensitized me to that kind of stuff. Did the many drawings of naked people, orgies and various other disgusting sex acts that you can’t see outside of a third world donkey sho
Jedhua
My Brief Bookshelf Overview: badass-to-the-extreme, bold-or-unapologetic, emotional, exciting-premise, flat-out-hilarious, hell-of-a-ride, likable-or-deep-characters, odd-or-unconventional, suspenseful-or-engaging, top-notch-artwork, violent
Mike
Resurgence of the Great Hunt For God, with a whole bag full of rich side quests along the way.

My absolute favourite story, maybe in the whole series, is Cassidy in New Orleans meeting an Anne Rice vampire - and his goth hangers-on. Ennis conjures up the emo heartfelt tortured immortal as well as any of those deadly serious books ever did, and then kicks them straight in the balls exactly as it should be. I read a couple of those Anne Rice turds as a young man, but even then I wasn't able to stom
The Flooze
Dixie Fried feels a little bit like filler.

It opens with an entertaining story of Cassidy finding another vampire in New Orleans--as well as a group of immortal-wannabes. This sets up the action for the present-day when Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy visit the city. The stop-over leads to a voodoo trance, flying bullets, uncomfortable revelations, a beheading, and a meeting with none other than Arseface.

Since I'm not crazy about the route Ennis is taking with Cassidy, I was somewhat dissappointed in
Jesse A
Not my favorite volume.
Mike
Dec 29, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I loved this series as a teenager, although I didn’t start reading it until it was close to the end of its run. My father often took me to the comic store as a kid, but I was until a certain age only allowed to browse through old issues of DC and Marvel titles, the ones originally priced, as indicated on their covers, at 35 or 40 cents, and kept in protective coverings in a separate part of the store from the new releases; my parents justified this to me at the time with the sophistry that new c
Gavin
Jun 02, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
What to say...what to say...
Well it keeps on moving right along, picking up after our interlude in Vol. 4 with the excellent Saint of Killers story.
But first we have the best story of the Volume, with Cassidy: Blood and Whiskey. Cassidy is in New Orleans and runs into another vampire, only this one turns out to be a tosser, a wanker, a pompous twat. Worst part is, he's got a cult of gothic morons following him and worshipping. Cassidy ends up taking the guy out (in a fantastic crucifixion on the
Brandon
Oct 27, 2012 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix, fiction, 2012, vertigo
Believe it or not, this was the most bizarre Preacher yet. The storytelling was exceptional, as usual, but the comedic elements were turned up to eleven!

In the beginning, Cassidy meets up with another vampire, something he thought would never happen. The douchebaggery oozing out of the fellow bloodsucker was off the charts. Cassidy has a hard time even believing that someone could act this way but understands where he's coming from when the only basis for vampire activity comes from the movies.

T
Zedsdead
Jun 05, 2016 Zedsdead rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zedsdead by: Next in series.
Dixie Fried begins with possibly the best single issue of the series. Cassidy meets another vampire for the first time. He's a mopey, pretentious Anne Rice vamp right down to the New Orleans setting. Cass quickly ascertains that the new guy is a right proper wanker and attempts to straighten the git out.

The best single issue is followed by the single biggest mistake of the series when Cass declares his love to Tulip. Three times. As Tulip points out, it reeks of Melrose Place. Vol 5 is a damned
Jedi JC Daquis
Dixie Fried felt like a large yet necessary filler chapter om Preacher. It sets the playground for the next arc of the story, which is to find God by letting Genesis overtake Jesse Custer's consciousness. The whole Cass vs. Les Enfants subplot is more like a channel for some some violent and bloody action.

I absolutely do not dig the love triangle subplot though. Tulip, Jesse and Cass are so awesome together that painting a malicious issue between them really hurts the way I see them. I hope this
Holly the Infinite Book Dragon
This is my least favorite so far in the series. It was mostly filler. Although, Arseface does get somewhat of a resolution. Tulip also expands more as a character. I liked her even more in this volume!

My biggest complaint is that all of the females are different variations of each other in how they are drawn, essentially. I really noticed it in this volume, with a handful of female characters looking far too much alike. I kept having to double check to see what character it was supposed to be.

Re
***Dave Hill
Jul 12, 2016 ***Dave Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: illustrated
MJ
Aug 15, 2016 MJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who aren't afraid of taking god's name in vain
Shelves: picture-books, 2016
Imogen
Jan 08, 2009 Imogen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One more star than the previous bunch because this seems to be where the whole thing goes completely off the rails- but not five stars because, while the payoff is nice, Garth Ennis's boner for military army guys is in full effect in this one, and I don't really have that boner.

...

Oh wait, the desert thing is the next one. Whatever.
Eric
Mar 27, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that reads graphic novels
I didn't love the place they took Cassidy's character in this volume -- I mean, was any sort of love triangle necessary in this series? Aside from that, this volume was still awesome, as usual.
Tyler
Aug 08, 2011 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is really starting to bore the crap out of me in these 2 past books. Love triangles? Voodoo? Arseface the Rockstar? WHat the fuck is going on with my PREACHER?!
Nuno Gil Franco
Jan 02, 2017 Nuno Gil Franco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Not sure where Ennis is going with the whole Cassidy-Tulip romantic interest, but at least we get to know a bit more about Cassidy.
Russia_with_love
Sep 17, 2016 Russia_with_love rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Nicole
May 21, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
These guys never cease to surprise me. I found Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried just simply amazing.
Once again, the writing is done so eloquently. I find myself giving the southern drawl to Jesse, and the Irish kinks to Cassidy with no added effort. The flow from each panel is smooth, and transition between scenes and timeline is easy to interpret. Of course by now, readers should understand the language and content are for adults only!
I am loving how the plot thickens. We see some every day hap
Anne
May 11, 2017 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed at some of the stereotypes skewered including the goths (oh 1990s, how do I miss thee) and San Francisco (though I had a hard time believing that one). But was generally pleased with the wee bit of plot progress. And the voodoo.
Mathew
May 12, 2017 Mathew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this entire story from beginning to end. All volumes are worth reading.
Dkolacinski
May 11, 2017 Dkolacinski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God, death, resurrection, old characters reappear if only briefly and more backstory is revealed. A mother and child reunion. Where does this all end?
Chris Miller
Loved the panels of Herr Starr trying-on wigs and hats. I'm going to say that might be my favorite bit of comedy so far in this series.
Brad
Mar 08, 2014 Brad rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One-and-half stars.

Something amazing happens on p. 105: Jesse, the lead protagonist recommits to the plot of the series, namely his quest to find God (who has elected to walk to earth after quitting his job and leaving Heaven). Here we are in Volume 5 (of 9) and it is way back in the first half of Volume 2 that we last heard about the plot. Yes, we met The Grail along the way, but the lengthy detour involved was concerned only in saving Cassidy's life, not in Jesse's quest. (view spoiler)
Kris
Mar 05, 2017 Kris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm invested in these characters. Another great installment.
Alona
Sep 26, 2016 Alona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Further down the rabbit hole. The more of Preacher I read the more fascinated I get about how all these story lines fit together. I'm thrilled by the fact that I don't know where we're going, but I'm excited to get there.
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 6: Gouge Away (Transmetropolitan, #6)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 9: Strychnine Lives
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis...

Preacher (9 books)
  • Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
  • Preacher, Volume 8: All Hell's a-Coming
  • Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo

Jesse: But—but are you okay?

Tulip: Yeah, fine. I checked out the bad guy's place and shot them up a little bit, you know. There were quite a lot of them, and one guy nearly got me with a throwing knife— But I know you'll be cool with that, because you can trust me to handle myself. Let's go.”
5 likes
“We've the whole wide world out there waiting for us, and we've forever to make the most've it. And that's the thing: enjoyin' life. Not livin' death, or anything stupid like that.

What've we got to fear except the sun?”
4 likes