Cleopatra Dismounts: A Novel

Cleopatra Dismounts: A Novel

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Carmen Boullosa’s Cleopatra Dismounts tells three versions of the life of Cleopatra. In the first sequence, Marc Antony had just disemboweled himself, knowing they had lost the war against Octavian and believing that Cleopatra was dead. Hugging his corpse, Cleopatra castigates Octavian and history for its betrayal of her, recalling variously how she had herself delivered t...more
Published October 29th 2004 by Grove Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Cleopatra Dismounts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cleopatra Dismounts

L.M. Ironside
You can't approach this book as historical fiction. It may focus on the last part of Cleopatra IV's life, but it is too dissimilar in tone and delivery to historical fiction. This is not a genre work; it is pure literary fiction, and it's about as literary as it gets.

Told through the translating pen of a scribe who is interpreting the works of a man who took down dictation for an aging/dying Cleopatra (if memory serves me), the book itself was originally written in Mexican Spanish and translated...more
Lisa
This was going so well! For the first 120 or so pages, I was enthralled by Boullosa's writing and her vision of Cleopatra and then came the chapter (? Section?) called 'The Queen Dismounts With A Single Leap' – the largest chapter and presented as Cleopatra's true final words – and I just... got bored? Found it nonsensical, too fantastical and verging on irritating? Lacking all the magic and power that the previous sections had?

Maybe it was deliberate choice to represent the dying Cleopatra's m...more
Scampi
I didn't read the whole book. To be honest, I didn't get off the first page. This book is horrible! It was given to my mom by her friend who only got through half the book. My mom got through two chapters. I got through the first page. I want to leave it out somewhere for someone else to pick up and read, but I'm afraid that may cause bad karma on my part. Don't read! Totally not worth the effort.
Nikki
The summary on GR is atrocious but I can't help but read something relatively based on Cleopatra.
Juan
A great take on classical literature, as Carmen Boullosa breathes life into the ancient tomes of Rome and Alexandria.
Jesse
Nov 24, 2008 Jesse added it
Cleopatra Dismounts by Carmen Boullosa; Translator-Geoff Hargreaves (2003)
Steven Davis
Steven Davis marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Sarai
Sarai marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Rahina
Rahina marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Kelly Klein
Kelly Klein marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Giulia Mazzetti
Giulia Mazzetti marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
romilly
romilly marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Rowena
Rowena marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Jael R
Jael R marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Steven West
Steven West marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Miri Yarkony
Miri Yarkony marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Vala
Vala added it
Jun 27, 2013
Sam Anders
Sam Anders is currently reading it
May 24, 2013
Subhankar Das
Subhankar Das is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Chip &
Chip & added it
Aug 16, 2012
Jenny
Jenny added it
Jul 14, 2012
Antes (Before) Leaving Tabasco: A Novel Duerme/Spanish La Novela Perfecta/ the Perfect Novel Cielos de la tierra

“The name Cleopatra wakens the world to life.” 0 likes