Start by marking “Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)” as Want to Read:
Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)

Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  601 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Botulism, anthrax, smallpox, plague: as medical producer for television's highly-rated morning news program, Annabelle Murphy makes her living explaining horrific conditions to the nation. So when a KEY News colleague dies with symptoms terrifyingly similar to those of anthrax, she knows the panic spreading through the corridors of the Broadcast Center is justified.

As one
Published April 5th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere to Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere to Run

Debbie Heaton
In Clark’s suspense novel, Annabelle Murphy is the medical producer for the morning news. When a staff member dies showing symptoms of anthrax, panic sets in and the staff looks to her for answers. As the bodies pile up, all with the same symptoms, it becomes clear that this attack is murder. And when the authorities quarantine the station, Murphy goes in pursuit of a killer hoping to find him before he can kill again.

A fast-paced storyline that keeps the reader hanging on.

FINALLY done. I was really only reading this when on breaks at work and mostly wound up chatting to coworkers.
This book was difficult to get in to. Sure, it's got anthrax, and all the haute topics that followed in pocket fiction in the early days after 9/11, but, eh. The book was enjoyable enough as a means to kill time, and was a swift read because the chapters are so ridiculously short. Most were only a page, some only a couple of sentences. That kind of choppy style really annoys me, though s
The Visual
An enjoyable read. I wasn't able to guess who the killer was until the last few pages. It's obviously a nice read but the method of killing seemed a little boring for me. It's appropriate for the times and location when this was written.
Suzanne
First time reading Mary Jane Clark - I was hooked at page five and read the whole book in one night. Everyone was a suspect and there was suspense. I will read another of her books.
Julie
Again a fast-paced thriller/mystery with clues and red herrings. Now add Anthrax and hostage taking and a little psychosis thrown in, and it was a quick read, at least partially because I couldn't stop reading. In other words, I loved it.
Beth
Quick up north in the winter book, some chapters were only a page long. Good mystery.
Manian Ks
First Mary Jane book, fast and compelling.
some people complained about the choppy style of this book, and that the chapters were really really short. It didn't bother me so much – that's just Mary Jane Clark's writing style. This was a pretty solid mystery – there were many people with motives and you had to wonder which one was the killer. I only give it three stars because it wasn't really that suspenseful. There were times when the plot dragged a little bit, and I was impatient for the writer to get to the ending and the reveal
Kristen
If you love fast-paced novels, you'll enjoy this one from Mary Jane Clark. Post-9/11, there's been an anthrax scare at Key News in New York. Now, everyone's running scared. Annabelle Murphy has a full plate as medical segment producer, when her husband's recovering from depression from 9/11, raising twins, and now this crisis at work. It's up to her to find out who's responsible for exposing them, when one of their own is dead, and someone's after her and her family.
Brenda
I read this mystery because I really enjoy the author. This story was a murder set in New York City at KEY News. I was very impressed on how the author balanced the characters, they seemed so human. I really had not figured out who was behind the murders and framings until right before the author revealed it. I enjoyed the sunshine spots in this darker story. It only took me six hours to read this story.
Jane
Mar 14, 2008 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults
Recommended to Jane by: Peggy
Enjoyable fast read. Short chapters and lots of characters. This book was a murder mystery complete with multiple suspects and anthrax. The story was told in an hour by hour, day by day basis spanning November 15-26 and involving a broadcast news group. It did not contain a whole lot of twists but the dialog was intelligent and well written and I was surprised to find out who executed the crime.
KarenC

Good for a casual read. Had some moments of suspense as well as some obvious leads to the killer. A lot of emphasis on the "career mom" with lots of concerns at home.

Annabelle is a well-developed character and appropriate insights are provided into the lives of other signficant players. Short chapters with suspenseful information kept me turning pages.

Pat
Mar 15, 2008 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This book was outstanding, it must be my age because when I first picked this up I thought I was reading another Mary Higgins Clark book. WELL this one was better than some of hers. It kept you in suspense throughout and usually I can figure out who did it long before the end not in this case. I will read more by Mary Jane Clark in the future.
Maggie
Great novel by Clark. I wasn't overwhelmed by her number of characters this time. It shocked me and was never too graphic or inappropriate. However, the use of g** d*** was completely uncalled for and left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. However, with very few reasons to be disappointed, I will be starting my next Clark novel tomorrow.
Anita
It was the 'taking care of loose ends' that accounted for the first murder, that of a television broadcast station employee. As the story unfolds, every one is potentially a suspect, what with secrets and hidden agendas. Short chapters keep the pace brisk in this murder-mystery, but it is short on suspense, so only a 3-star read for me.
Anne Marie
Another great murder-mystery book by Mary Jane Clark! I love how the book is fast paced. Every chapter is exciting with enough clues to make you want to keep reading. I like how all the books I've read so far by Clark are based on KEY News television news. The characters are believable and some tie into other books.
Kathy Sandlin
I've read most of the Mary Jane Clark. Kind of found her by accident since she was right with the Mary Higgins and Carol Higgins in the bookstore. Good reads....probably better than the Carol Higgins but not as good as the Mary Higgins books. They are nice fast reads. I'll just add a few to the list
George
Mystery involving the use of anthrax by a murderer to remove people who are perceived as threats. Story is set in a New York television news station as a producer finds herself in the middle of everything.

Story is a bit slow moving and leaves a number of secondary plot lines unresolved.
Chana
Written in a short-chaptered, basic style. Seemed simplistic at first and I didn't expect much. As the story progresses the short chapters spin the reader faster and faster through characters, clues and scenarios creating a satisfying level of reader anxiety and suspense.
Rebekkila
Her books aren't anything spectacular, but they are fast reads and I always enjoy them. This story is a classic who-dun-it with many suspects. The only problem with this is the one person who logically should not have been the guilty party was. Kind of a let down.
Esther
Didn't think I was in the mood for an anthrax scare; it had been on my shelf for a while. But it was very interesting. Maybe the resolution was a little abrupt and the epilogue a little mushy, but I was too close to the end by then.
Carol
Too many characters that I couldn't care about. It seemed like the characters' personalities weren't developed well. I've read a lot of her books and found them much more interesting than this one. Okay read, but not memorable.
Carol
I read this book in one day. I couldn't put it down. Everytime I thought I knew who might be the villian, they ended up dead. A riveting look inside a news studio not too long after 9/11 and the anthrax scares.
Sheila
I like this series and this author a lot. This was written post 9/11 and dealt with the anthrax in the mail scares that were rampant at that time in newsrooms. In this case it wasn't terrorism but a murder plot.
Amos
May 14, 2011 Amos rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amos by: amoscb@hotmail.com
Good review of what can happen when people become obsessed. Passed on to SHB. Got it back and am not sure what to do. I don't want to read it again. maybe I should lower my rating. 5-14-2011
Gail
ok book- kind of unsophisticated writing, but I did learn that anthrax was ( supposedly) named after anthracite coal because of the cutaneous type that leaves coal-like lesions...
Loretta Charles
This was not one of my favorite books. New characters were introduced, but it was difficult at time to figure out who they were. Not one I'd recommend.
Mika
It's a good book, a wonderful suspense novel. Though I find that suspense is not my genre. This book has a secret compartment in it now...
Carrie
Unfortunately, I think this was the worst Mary Jane Clark novel I have read. Who cares about Anthrax anymore. That scare is long over.
Annette Meier
Plodded along at first, but really ramped up past the 1/2-way point. Good ending - not who I thought it was at all!
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • The Anastasia Syndrome and Other Stories
  • HIDDEN MICKEY 2: It All Started...
  • Unknown Means
  • Born to Love (Night Riders, #3)
  • Crazy in Love
  • CSI: Mortal Wounds (CSI, #1-3)
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...
To Have and to Kill (Wedding Cake Mystery, #1) Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1) Nobody Knows (KEY News #5) It Only Takes a Moment (Sunrise Suspense Society #2) When Day Breaks (Sunrise Suspense Society #1)