Start by marking “Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)” as Want to Read:
Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)

Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,105 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Trying to mix business with pleasure, KEY News correspondent Diane Mayfield has brought her children and her sister to the New Jersey Shore town of Ocean Grove to investigate a story on "girls who cry wolf" for the season premiere of "Hourglass," television's highly rated news magazine.
Diane lands an exclusive interview with a troubled young woman whose tale of being abduc
Published May 30th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing in the Dark

Cindy
May 25, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Nice mystery & cast. No gore, graphic sex, or language. Pro-homosexual, Christians are represented (as normally) slow-witted, uncaring & generally unnecessary. No noticeable editing errors in text edition. Eliza Foss gives a good reading. audio, TTS-enabled eBook & hard/soft cover available. ...more
Katie
Mar 17, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
Quick Review: Great book by the daughter of Mary Higgins Clark! Intriguing mystery, compelling characters, and a definite page-turner. I actually figured out the perpetrator before the book ended, first ever for me! Look forward to more books by Mary Jane Clark, a talented mystery writer.
Marca
Jun 16, 2015 Marca rated it liked it
Generally likeable lead characters, but improbable plot. News reporter Diane Mayfield is sent to Ocean Grove, New Jersey to investigate the phenomenon of “girls who cry wolf” – they claim to have been kidnapped, held, and freed. Diane is sent to report on the latest girl, Leslie Patterson. The police suspect Leslie staged her own disappearance, even though she was found bound and gagged. Leslie claims that the kidnapper made her dance with him in the dark (weird, but provides the book title). Th ...more
Sally Wolf
Mar 24, 2011 Sally Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dancing In The Dark by Mary Jane Clark ISBN 9780312481172

This book is all about a troubled young girl that goes missing. When she is found three days latter no one seems to believe her story until it happens again. Diane a Key News Reporter has to cancel her trip to the Grand Canyon and instead head to Ocean to interview the lost girl who everyone believes “Cried Wolf” What she finds there is more than what she bargained for. I found that this book takes a good look at what a troubled teen will
Gina
Feb 02, 2016 Gina rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It was about KEY, a broadcast news program that went to cover a story about a missing girl in Ocean Grove. Diane Maysfield, KEY new correspondent, had to change her vacation plans with her family to cover the story. The story actually went from a missing person, to murder. Meanwhile, her children were very unhappy about the change in plans. Her son soon found things to occupy his mind like taking pictures, and her daughter was into excessive dieting and exercise.

There
Julie
Choppily and sometimes sloppily written. I didn't care about any of the characters. Calling them characters might even be a bit generous for most of the names in the book. It's a lightning-fast read, though, for those who appreciate that.
Kim
May 11, 2013 Kim rated it liked it
Quick easy read. Author has a choppy style with many characters but does a solid job of tying together at end of book.
Kelley
Feb 01, 2009 Kelley rated it it was ok
just mindless entertainment... nothing really to write home aboutl
Carol
May 21, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like NJ
A lot about this book cover seemed to be designed to take advantage of the author's similar name and appeal to fans of Mary Higgins Clark. It's why I picked up the book. But once I saw that it took place in Ocean Grove, NJ, I had to read it.
I've walked the boardwalk in Ocean Grove, Asbury Park, and Spring Lake. I am familiar with the old Casino and I rode the carousel in that beautiful old Victorian building as a child. I've played with the Ocean Grove Summer Band, including the final concert o
Jennifer Wardrip
For Diane Mayfield, the last few months of her life have been spent trying to keep her children, Michelle and Anthony, on an even keel. After her husband was sentenced to prison for his part in the financial upheaval of a company who cooked its books, she's been the sole parent and money-maker in a family that once had it all. Her position with KEY News as a correspondent for its Hourglass newsmagazine forces her to give up the family's vacation to the Grand Canyon and instead haul her kids and ...more
Joy
Sep 12, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing
It's a classic Mary Jane Clark novel, same suspenseful writing, vivid images, excellent plot, story is fast-paced and never boring. One could finish this in one sitting just like her other works, this is the 3rd book I've read and I'm never frustrated, you'll never guess the culprit. Although she adapted the formula of everyone is a suspect by giving false clues, you'll still be dumbfounded and you have to read it again. I especially liked the part her heroines are broadcast journalists, she wri ...more
Jaime
Aug 01, 2012 Jaime rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense, 2012
I wasn’t particularly thrilled with this. It wasn’t bad, per se, it just didn’t excite me. The mystery is well-enough constructed that I was surprised by who the bad guy was, but I never really connected with Diane or her kids. She was always the victim, and I just found nothing about her to be the least bit interesting, not even her jailed husband. Her daughter was even worse — stereotype, through and through.

The part that really rubbed me wrong was the undertone the entire book had about eatin
Linda
Feb 02, 2016 Linda rated it it was ok
Okay read. News correspondent Diane Mayfield takes her children and sister to the New Jersey shore because she has to work on an assignment story. There have been young women that have been abducted and later released after 3 days. Diane helps find the culprit.
Beth
Jul 26, 2007 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
In Dancing in the Dark, news correspondent Diane Mayfield is forced by her boss to cancel her vacation to the Grand Canyon to cover a story unfolding in Ocean Grove, New Jersey. Leslie, a young woman suffering from aneroxia had been missing for 3 days and while she claimed she was abducted and held captive the police believe that she cried wolf and faked her own disappearance. That is until a 2nd girl from Ocean Grove goes missing....

As a fan of Mary Higgins Clark I was hesitant to pick this up
Tricia Douglas
May 28, 2013 Tricia Douglas rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This was my first book by this author. The mystery was interesting and I had trouble guessing the "who done it" part. (But then, I usually do!) The storyline was okay, not developed as much as some of my favorite mystery writers. The characters were okay for the most part, too. When victims begin showing up dead or missing, Diane, a news correspondent comes to investigate even though she was supposed to begin her vacation with her family. Therefore, her children come with her to this beach commu ...more
Irina
Jul 31, 2015 Irina rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I picked this book up second-hand for 2 euros. It sounded promising. I did enjoy it well enough, I guess. it was a bit predictable, but it was a nice summer read.
Karen Davis engelbert
Sheila
Jun 30, 2015 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A series of missing girls brings the Key news team to the Jersey shore. It becomes personal when Diane's son Anthony goes missing as well.
Dad
May 24, 2014 Dad rated it it was amazing
I read this book a while ago, but I remember it was a very good mystery - I look foward to reading more of Mary Jane Clark's books
Angela Guidetta
Aug 09, 2014 Angela Guidetta rated it did not like it
This was the most ridiculous and contrived book I have ever read. The storyline, the dialogue, all of it. I can't remember making so many ugh faces while reading a book.
Athornton
Aug 05, 2015 Athornton rated it it was amazing
I'm on vacation, I'm generous with praise. Great beach read! I like that the story is relatively close to home (NJ vs. NY).
Janet York
Apr 06, 2014 Janet York rated it liked it
Good. Didn't figure out whodunit. Not my favorite by the author, but it was a nice easy read on a Sunday afternoon.
Louise
Feb 09, 2010 Louise rated it really liked it
This was the first Mary Jane Clark book I’ve read and I totally enjoyed it. DANCING IN THE DARK was a gripping and page turning story right from the beginning until the end. All throughout the story I thought for sure I had the killer figured out, only to turn a few pages ahead and have my theory shot down in undeniable flames.

Clark’s writing reminds me of authors such as Agatha Christie and Hitchcock, always keeping the reader in suspense, always guessing, wondering, and pondering WHO dunnit??
Julie
Jul 24, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Easy read but still a good story. I really had no idea who the kidnapper was until it was revealed.
Carol Schultz
Dec 24, 2010 Carol Schultz rated it liked it
I'm still looking for good detective novels. So far I like Mary Jane Clark but not as well as Dick Francis, JA Jance, or Mary Higgins Clark. But she is good and I'll probably read all her books before I'm finished.

I have not enjoyed the last two novels I have picked up of Mary Jane Clark. This is the thing..one of the books had a man who electrocuted a dog in a pool. Anyone who knows me knows I can't stomach animal cruelty and had to put the book down I was so disturbed. I will try another book
Lorlee
Jan 24, 2016 Lorlee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun summer read. Interesting characters
Ruth E. R.
Feb 27, 2014 Ruth E. R. rated it liked it
Enjoyed the story and the characters, and the descriptions of Ocean Grove took me away to a wonderful place!
Pam
Apr 06, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it
I liked this book because I got right to the end and hadn't figured out who was doing all the damage.

One thing I noticed about this writer's works is that she has several book titles that are lyrics to a Beatles song. I'm curious about that so will read those or look at her website to see if that was intentional! The titles are as follows:

Do You Want to Know a Secret?
Do You Promise Not to Tell?
Let me whisper in your Ear
Close to you
Nobody Knows
Nowhere to Run
Hide Yourself Away
Tee Mcdaniel
Nov 07, 2015 Tee Mcdaniel rated it really liked it
A very good book about some really troubled girls.
Kim
Feb 05, 2016 Kim added it
2013
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • The Christmas Thief
  • Sins of Omission (Sins, #1)
  • Killing Spree
  • Pinned
  • The Last Good Man
  • The Chrysalis
  • Rebound
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

KEY News (10 books)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Close to You (KEY News #4)
  • Nobody Knows (KEY News #5)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News #7)
  • Lights Out Tonight (KEY News, #9)
  • Dying for Mercy (KEY News #10)