Start by marking “Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)” as Want to Read:
Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)

Hide Yourself Away (KEY News #7)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  916 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Nobody in this perfect seaside resort town ever imagined that the body of a missing heiress might be found deep in a tunnel beneath her family's crumbling Newport estate. Nobody, that is, but the last person to see her alive. Now, as a KEY News crew investigates the murder, a cold-blooded killer lives in fear of discovery. Too many reporters are closer than they realize to ...more
Published May 31st 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 12th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hide Yourself Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hide Yourself Away

Rebekkila
Oct 31, 2011 Rebekkila rated it it was ok
I am beginning to think that when the author starts the books she has no idea who did it, then somewhere in the middle she picks the most unlikely and illogical candidate and then tailors the rest of the story to make it work.

And the story line with her ex-husband was complete shit. First the guy tells her he is going to try to gain primary custody of their 14 year old daughter. She sends the daughter to the fathers for his regular custodial weekend and travels from New York to Rhode Island for
Kris - My Novelesque Life
1.5 STARS

"Being a KEY To America intern may be hazardous to your health. But even when one is nearly killed in an accident and another disappears, this year's crop of hopefuls are oblivious to the menace. Grace Callahan arrives in Newport for a weeklong broadcast from"America's First Resort," determined to launch a future in television journalism. The KEY interns have been told that at the end of the summer one of them will get a full-time job. As their number dwindles, Grace must face the real
Carol
Oct 09, 2012 Carol rated it it was ok
Okay fluff mystery, but pay attention to all the little characters, even those not mentioned often. You never know who might have done it. Again, seems to have too many undeveloped characters. She needs to work on making the readers relate to the characters.
Debbie
Apr 19, 2015 Debbie rated it liked it
This was okay. for once I actually didn't figure it out before the mystery was revealed. I think what stopped me from loving this was Grace. I liked her okay but I didn't love her. I think she had some of her priorities mixed up. I don't personally feel that a job that requires you to be on call 24/7 is good choice for a single mom. I know that probably isn't PC nowadays but it's how I feel. I don't know. And there were times I think she should of reported things to the police (the missing perso ...more
Joy
May 22, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it
Again, this gripping fast-paced tale by Mary Jane Clark astounded me and with the myriad of clues to point whodunit, which still left me clueless. Ms Clark sticks to the classic Agatha Christie formula where everyone is a suspect, but it's either she didn't give any obvious clues or I might've missed it, but I never guessed the killer's identity - like in her other books.

This one is different from those I've read, most of the ones had broadcast reporters as heroines covering a crime, they usuall
Janet
Feb 12, 2013 Janet rated it liked it
I bought this book by mistake at a charity used book sale. It was on a table marked Mary Higgens Clarke and looked at the title and hadn't read it so I bought it. It wasn't until I got home that it was by an author I had never heard of before. It is much the same type of book Mary Higgens Clarke writes. It was an easy read with lots of viable suspects in this who done it. The story follows a single mom trying to get an intern job on a NY television show. Grace our lead character, is in competiti ...more
Kiril Angelov
Mar 16, 2016 Kiril Angelov rated it it was ok
An interesting book, even though it could have been much better.

The first word that comes to my mind is cluttered - the story is cluttered with characters. And almost all of these have skeletons in their closets which should make them suspects of the murders. Instead of creating more suspense, this made the story overcomplicated and put me off a bit. Even though the murderer himself is almost out of the focus, I suspected him somewhere around the middle of the book, particularly because he seem
Neela
Aug 11, 2011 Neela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For starters the title really doesn't seem to match the content of the book itself. The story intertwines around the lives of a intern reporter, new to the field but experienced with life, hot on the heels of a killer from years past.

As always the story of an investigation into a murder that tracks back in history, has a gripping effect as clues and suspects are drawn from the woodwork through thorough investigation and following trails long gone cold over time.

Narration flips between the pers
Beth
Jul 26, 2007 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Grace Callahan, a single mother, is interning at KEY to America news and competing for the one job opening at the end of the summer in order to follow her passion and dream to become a journalist. The KEY news team is enroute to Newport, Rhode Island where they will be filming segments all week, when a body is found in an old slave tunnel on the Wagstaff property. The body is believed to be that of Charlotte Wagstaff Sloane who disappeared 14 years ago.

As the KEY News interns get close to discov
Therese B
Mar 13, 2016 Therese B rated it really liked it
A story about a young divorced mother of one that wants to be a TV Journalist and works hard to achieve her goal. She is part of a group that go to Martha's Vineyard as an apprentice. She helps solve a murder that was committed a long time ago. When the body is found the whole community wonders who killed this beautiful lady. Great reading

Courtney
Hide Yourself Away by Mary Jane Clark(May 2005). 352 pages. Fiction. Thriller. 3 Stars.

Life seems to throw everyone curve balls every once and a while; nonetheless, it’s never been easy. This statement represents Grace Callahan, who at age 32, moved to Newport, Rhode Island to launch a career and future in T.V. news. She begins working for KEY news where she and her other interns are told by the end of the summer one of them will receive the full-time position.
Grace, a single mother who is fig
Dec 05, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
This was a typical mystery novel. There were many characters to guess who dunnit with. This time I was off base, so maybe it tricked me better than most. Grace is a novelist who is an older intern for a news broadcast company. She is inadvertently involved when a few deaths happen during her time in Newport. She has had conversations with a couple of victims which make her a liability for the murderer. So, she is next on the list. At the same time as all of this, she has it bad for the producer ...more
Diana
Apr 11, 2014 Diana rated it it was amazing
Wow! Total suspense. 14 year old murder/mystery/disappearance comes to light. Then KEY interns start being missing or murdered. No clue at all who the murderer is til the very. Extremely well written. Each page holds your attention!! Great read for sure!! I love Mary Jane Clark's writing.
Denise
Feb 21, 2014 Denise rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story about Grace an intern in the KEY news I liked the story of the past murder intertwined with the present. The killer was a surprise.
Anne
Jul 18, 2015 Anne rated it did not like it
I would give it two stars for the slightly interesting complexity of plot, but have to take one of those back for simplicity of writing style. The author's writing style is so simple it felt as if it was written by a juvenile for juveniles.
Laura Michelle
May 21, 2016 Laura Michelle rated it it was amazing
This is probably my favorite Mary Jane Clark book. I just couldn't put it down.
Tania Joseph
Apr 24, 2016 Tania Joseph rated it it was amazing
It kept you going till the very end. A must read.
Marcio Scheibler
Feb 15, 2013 Marcio Scheibler rated it liked it
Primeiro livro dessa autora que leio e achei ótimo. Com detalhes da rotina de trabalho de um telejornal, ela deu um clima de realidade ao texto, que narra uma saga de 3 assassinatos ocorridos num intervalo de 14 anos.

O final é surpreendente, mesmo que todos na trama são suspeitos. A autora não deixou a impressão de que alguém era inocente. O livro tem mais de 300 páginas, o que acho exagerado para uma trama policial, mas não "enrolou" em nenhum momento.
Collsells
Sep 13, 2009 Collsells rated it really liked it
Great summer read, especialy since I was heading to Newport that week. I normally don't like murder mystery or anything dealing with modern times (usually am a fan of historical fiction) but this one was cute! It wasn't too deep, or it didn't affect my thougth process much,but it did keep me thoroughly entertained while out at the pool. I do love Newport and this took place there, and dealt a lot with the setting and surroundings.
Lauren Czeb
Feb 17, 2016 Lauren Czeb rated it really liked it
Hide Yourself Away was a fantastic novel. The plot moved very quickly and was constantly evolving which made you to want to keep reading. Mary Jane Clark, developed the characters nicely even though there were many of them. I thought that this was a very fun quick read that left you guessing throughout who may have been the murderer.
Kim
Apr 09, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it
This book is part of the 12 KEY News Series. She is a great author when you feel likea "comfortable mystery". They have little hard core violence and the language is not offensive. It is the equivalent of eating your favorite comfort food. Knowing this, I rated her book a 4 as she delivered what I needed for this novel.
Jolynne
Apr 22, 2011 Jolynne rated it liked it
Another book on the plane to Boston. I picked up this one because I was looking for a Newport mystery since we were going there. Overall, I enjoyed this one, and should have figured out "who done it" but I didn't. It wasn't really what I was looking for, but when we got to Newport, I enjoyed the background info.
Ann Davies-baxter
Feb 08, 2013 Ann Davies-baxter rated it it was ok
This is a mystery of "Who did it?" Everyone looks suspect involving a murder that occurred 14 yrs. ago...and continues with a chain of events leading to the culprit. This is a simple-read. I will more than likely donate this book to my local library. It will not get "shelved" with my collection.
Sep 02, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
I probably should give this a 4 just because I love a good murder mystery and I REALLY love a good murder mystery during the summer! This was a fun random pick off the library shelf that will result in me reading more of her books.
Tmdalton
Nov 03, 2008 Tmdalton rated it it was ok
This book was alright. It had a really twisty ending, but after reading another one of her books this one wasn't as good. It has the same plot and idea from the other books. It all has to deal with news people. It was alright.
C. Clark
Mar 03, 2011 C. Clark rated it liked it
A unique setting behind the scenes in the television world. I liked the protagonist. Loved the aspect of her being a single mom. And Rhode Island is a state never used, and I enjoyed that quite a bit.
Dan
Jun 02, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it
Loved the Newport setting since I have visited there many times. I even know of a scrimshaw shop near the Brick Alley pub mentioned in the book. Good page turner. Interesting twist at the end.
Annette Meier
Absolutely loved this story. A little romance - a great mystery that had you changing your mind about "who dunnit" every other chapter - excellent story-telling. I highly recommend it!
Elise
Aug 13, 2011 Elise rated it did not like it
I can read about almost anything, including Ms. Clark's normal fair, but this book got to me. I could not stand that poor child suffering like he was, so I had to quit. Sorry Mary Jane.
  • Jinxed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #6)
  • The Christmas Thief
  • Murder à la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)
  • Unlucky in Law (Nina Reilly #10)
  • From Here to Paternity (Jane Jeffry, #6)
  • A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

KEY News (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Close to You (KEY News #4)
  • Nobody Knows (KEY News #5)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)
  • Lights Out Tonight (KEY News, #9)
  • When Day Breaks (KEY News, #10; Sunrise Suspense Society #1)
  • It Only Takes a Moment (KEY News, #11; Sunrise Suspense Society #2)