Start by marking “Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)” as Want to Read:
Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)

Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,065 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Secrets can really kill your career.

Beautiful New York TV anchorwoman Eliza Blake has a past to hide. Her popular co-anchor has a scandal he'd die to keep secret. The next President's pretty wife wants desperately to avoid indecent exposure. A parish priest knows a terrible truth. And a killer has a secret agenda that reaches from New York City's streets to the White House
Published April 5th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published October 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Do You Want To Know A Secret?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do You Want To Know A Secret?

bookczuk
Perfect diversion for the time following an eye doctor visit, where I got my eyes dilated and couldn't spend the rest of the day doing the things I like to do, including reading. An ear-read was a good substitute for page turning, though.

Story was a bit formulaic, and a bit dated, but decent enough. The Clark women (Mary Higgins, Carol Higgins, Mary Jane) all tend to run together in my mind these days. I usually pick the least likely/most benign/trusted early on and pin the butler label on them.
Jerry
Good Venue, Satisfying Plot, But Lots of Clutter...

By now y'all probably know Mary Higgins Clark is the ex-mother-in-law of our author here, Mary Jane Clark. Many speak to the similarities of style -- a dashing (and gorgeous wholesome single mom, young widow, and accomplished professional) leading lady who overcomes all odds; enough violence and suspense to entertain and befuddle; and a nice clean ending we can all feel good about. Well hopefully that could be said about many a good book. The d
Leira Murillo
Caroline
Do You Want to Know a Secret?
by Mary Jane Clark

Mary Jane Clark's name is designed on the cover to resemble that of her former mother-in-law, Mary Higgins Clark. No accident there. Besides the marketing value of a famous name, Mary Jane's style is slavishly imitative of Mary Higgins. A bright young career woman is stunned to find a dear friend dead, possibly (probably) murdered. The murderer knows she must be silenced. Several killings (and a new boyfriend) later, Miss Bright-Young-Career is men
Linda
This was the author's first book and you see the growing pains, I read her first Wedding Cake mystery and was curious about her earlier work. The culprit surprised me so big points for that plus it took forever to get to bodies after the initial death that sets up the story. I had a problem with the choppiness of the book, too many short chapters. There was very little flow in this book and hopefully that changes as there are more books.

Clark has a background in a TV network news division and so
Debbie J
Do You Want to Know a Secret? is a passable enough murder mystery for what it is, i.e., the literary equivalent of a quaint 20th century soap opera.

Implausible plot points and pedestrian dialogue abound, and even the most mundane characters speak to each other as if they’re reading their words via teleprompter. In addition, the book’s structure is puzzling; it contains more than 100 chapters, many comprising only a few sentences.

Do You Want to Know a Secret? resembles the novelized version of a
Tanja
This was a good book, with a few twists and turns to divert the reader - or at least me - to guess who the real foe is - and I was surprised!

The short plot summary: Anchorwoman Eliza Blake, the upcoming star at KEY News, is shattered by her friend and co-anchor's death. Her past is being ripped apart by tabloid magazines and she finds herself more and more in danger as others close to her mysteriously die. Accidents? Murder? It's a tale involving the possible next president's wife, a priest, a
Jan
This was a good murder mystery. I was kept guessing right up until the end and was pleasantly surprised. I liked the way the story unfolded. Each chapter was told from a different character's perspective, putting little bits and pieces of the puzzle in place.

The heroine, Eliza, is a young widow with a 4 year old daughter. Eliza is a newswoman on the rise. Her face is well known to viewers of the KEY News TV channel. Everybody wants a scoop and everybody has a secret. We learn about the power of
Diane  Morasco
Do You Want to Know a Secret? is a sharply designed spine-chiller.

Mary Jane Clark is a masterful storyteller. She weaves thrillers infused w/fireworks so powerful you feel like you have just stepped into the intense, unforgettable, hold-you-breath scene she has created & have become the main character.

Ms. Clark knows her stuff. Mary Jane Clark's distinct, accelerated prose allows readers an insider's glimpse of the broadcast-news business as the fictional KEY News takes you along for one adv
Catherine
I had a hard time getting into this book. I didn't really like this book till the very end. I like this author but this was not one of her better books. I will though continue with the rest of the serirs and hope they get better.
Veronica
Loaned from an older friend. Awkwardly outdated at times (JFK Jr. and floppy disk references). Stupid title, but pretty good story and enjoyable read.
Rebekkila
The first in the KEY series. I thought it was better than some of the books that followed.
Tizmehr
A good suspense. Kept me going right to the end.
Marie
Toni N
This is the first book (of the over 30 I have rated on Goodreads) upon which I am bestowing a 5 STAR RATING. This book was FANTABULISTIC!!! It is not the kind of book I would normally have read, based on the excerpt. But, I was familiar with the author, so I gave it a shot. I was surprised to find that I could not put it down. I wanted to know every "secret" this book withheld from me. And happily, I was not disappointed with the ending. If you're looking for a "goodread"...this is it!
Marca
A suicide/murder mystery among the nation’s elite politicians and reporters. A bunch of them know THE BIG SECRET, but have various incentives not to tell. The big mystery to me was why THE BIG SECRET was so shameful that a national reporter would commit suicide. Twenty-years ago, maybe, but the book was published in 1998. Oh, and in the real world, there is no way all those people would keep the secret.
Anita
Suicide, murder, scandals and blackmail make for an intriguing whodunit. I had my suspicions as to who the suspect might have been, but I was thrown a curve ball. I just found it a little 'boring' being that the setting centered around life in a newsroom and the lives of its characters -- but that's just a personal (non)-preference. For that, this read gets a 3½ stars.
Linda
Fast read. TV station anchorwoman is suspicious of her colleague's suicide and, when their psychiatrist and his secretary are murdered, she investigates. Conspiracies involving an AIDS diagnosis, a presidential candidate, bribery, embezzlement and a federal judge up the ante, then the anchorwoman herself becomes a target. Entertaining, but not great literature.
Laurie
Hurray! A new mystery author for me to read this summer. A friend accidentally took this book out thinking the author was Mary Higgins Clark - but it's not. This book is about a tv news anchorwoman at KEY News - the author works/worked for CBS news. I enjoyed it and I'm already reading the second book (this one was written back in 1999).
Kathy Sandlin
I've read most of the Mary Jane Clark. Kind of found her by accident since she was right with the Mary Higgins and Carol Higgins in the bookstore. Good reads....probably better than the Carol Higgins but not as good as the Mary Higgins books. They are nice fast reads. I'll just add a few to the list
Anne Marie
At first as I was reading this book, I thought it had too many characters to keep track of and I was getting lost as to what was going on. But soon enough, I couldn't put the book down! It was great, especially when the author mentioned places in the area. Looking forward to reading more of her books.
Linda
It's fun to discover a series as good as this one after several books have been written....I won't have to wait a year for the next one! Fast moving, lots happening, intriguing plot, great characterization. Suspenseful and very difficult to put down.
Rachael Rituper
I really liked this book. I was pleased that Eliza, the main character was very likable. There were many different characters with lots of drama happening in their lives. It made for an entertaining book.
Lois Wolter
Quick, pleasant read. A little fluffy and predictable, but still fun. I like the books in this series as kind of a palate cleanser with some of the more intense books I'm reading.
Donna
Fun, light read; fairly good mystery; completely unrealistic ending. It's written by a CBS News producer and so I liked the "inside" look it gave into how a newsroom and reporters operate.
Ratforce
Try Mary Jane Clark’s Do You Want To Know a Secret? for a fast-paced mystery featuring a strong female lead similar to books by Mary Higgins Clark.
Rrshively
The big plus for this mystery is that I had no idea "Whodunnit" until it was plainly revealed almost at the end of the novel.
Elsie
Exciting mystery, you'll never guess who done it. It does bring up that you really should read books of a series in order.
Annette Meier
LOVED IT! Great mystery, good characters - thought I had figured it out - and I was wrong! Clever "twists & turns".
Meloney
Feb 12, 2008 Meloney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who appreciates a good mystery.
I love to read suspense novels. This was pretty unpredictable. Kept you guessing. Really liked it.
  • Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1)
  • All The Way Home
  • What Lies in Shadow
  • Cattery Row (Theda Krakow Mystery #2)
  • Bone Cold
  • Paint It Red
  • Best Intentions
  • Black for Remembrance
  • Safe Harbor
  • Murder Off the Books (Sullivan Investigations Mystery, #1)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Silent Killer (Griffin Powell, #10)
  • Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer, #1)
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...
To Have and to Kill (Wedding Cake Mystery, #1) Nobody Knows (KEY News #5) It Only Takes a Moment (Sunrise Suspense Society #2) When Day Breaks (Sunrise Suspense Society #1) Footprints in the Sand (Wedding Cake Mystery, #3)