Start by marking “Slowly Downward” as Want to Read:
Slowly Downward

Slowly Downward

Slowly Downward A book of stories by Stanley Donwood, Radiohead's long-time artist and collaborator. Full description
Published August 22nd 2005 by Naked Guides

To ask other readers questions about Slowly Downward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slowly Downward

Amy
Sep 20, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
A book of tiny horror stories, less Lovecraft and more Twilight Zone / Outer Limits / Tales from the Crypt, often including a strange or dark twist at the end; most of the stories seem like they could be read by Cecil from Welcome to Night Vale.

All of these stories are published on Stanley's website, so you could check that out before buying.

I have the 2005 paperback edition, and the first and last page are vellum with the trees cover image printed on them, which is a nice touch.

Aaron
Nov 29, 2010 Aaron rated it liked it
A collection of very short stories by the guy who does artwork for Radiohead's album and merch. Unsurprisingly very dark, paranoid and completely messed up. Sometimes funny. Ridiculous. Some cool imagery, also. I actually really liked a few of the stories.
Wylie
Mar 16, 2009 Wylie rated it liked it
Mostly funnier than it was spooky. I read this probably nine years ago and I think it had a grand influence on the way I currently write, it's funny how long things can stay latent in the mind.
Ben
Jul 14, 2016 Ben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So dark. So funny. So grim. So good. Starts low and spirals even further. Fantastic.
Michael Manzon
Awesomely depressing, with all of the usual alienation and existential ruminations.
Jonfen
Feb 23, 2009 Jonfen rated it it was amazing
It's like a more menacing 'Without Feathers', with less comedy and more despair.
Taylor Light
Jul 21, 2012 Taylor Light rated it really liked it
Dark, disturbed, but somehow it lights a fire in me.
Tráese
Jul 11, 2008 Tráese rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-keeps
Like my initial hand-made copy better...
Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland
8,5/10
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Stephanie Archibald
Stephanie Archibald marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Leon
Leon added it
Jul 27, 2016
N
N marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Lauri Dixon
Lauri Dixon marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Declan
Declan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Manuel Calvillo
Manuel Calvillo rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Ned
Ned rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Hannah Harvey
Hannah Harvey rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2016
Jono
Jono rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Zayne
Zayne marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Elsiecc
Elsiecc marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Jonny Smith
Jonny Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Natasha Molar
Natasha Molar marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Tyler George
Tyler George marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Mat
Mat rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Irina Orlova
Irina Orlova marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Seva Shamardin
Seva Shamardin marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Developers: Publication year inconsistent? 6 11 Aug 18, 2014 02:24PM

“It is only very slightly later, when my client's head is sliced off, that I realise I have made an error. My career is finished.” 1 likes
“I am disturbed to discover that my colleagues have invented a new game which seems to involve attempting to kill me in every juvenile way that presents itself to them. They delight in surprising me with shoves into the paths of oncoming double-decker buses, constructing ridiculous rope-and-pulley devices with the aim of dropping heavy furniture on my head, placing tripwires at the tops of escalators, and other such inanities. They persist for some weeks, during which I become increasingly adept at avoiding sudden death by blackly humorous means. I feel that my senses are sharpened day by day, that my sight is keener, my reflexes quicker. Soon I can detect by the smell of linseed oil alone the presence of a cricket-bat wielding acquaintance in the bathroom. Everything is enhanced. Colours are richer, noises are louder. I awaken to the pattern of life, the weight of deeds. Eventually my heightened awareness evolves into a vividly focused paranoia. I can only retreat; I move surreptitiously to a small seaside resort on the east coast and wait, slowly, for a death of my own choosing.” 0 likes