Start by marking “Angry Arthur (Sunburst Book)” as Want to Read:
Angry Arthur (Sunburst Book)

Angry Arthur (Sunburst Book)

When Arthur's mother won't let him stay up, he becomes angry--angrier than he's ever been. His anger creates a thunderstorm, a hurricane, a universe-quake! But the storm finally calms, and so does Arthur--who makes a surprising discovery as he falls asleep. Full color.
Published September 1st 1997 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Angry Arthur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angry Arthur

Angry Arthur by Hiawyn OramA Tree for Max by Jerry HalberstadtThe Red Beast by K.I. Al-ghaniOlivia The Brave Olive Branch by Amy GramourDorothea Duck and Her Little Companion by Jennifer K. Lafferty
Therapeutic Children's Stories
1st out of 30 books — 17 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakIn the Night Kitchen by Maurice SendakThe Story of Ferdinand by Munro LeafThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
Developing Reader
48th out of 50 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Asma
Apr 22, 2012 Asma rated it liked it
This story is about a boy called Arthur who gets really angry when he is not allowed to stay up and watch ‘Western’ on TV. He gets so angry that his anger does several things such as lead to an earthquake, a typhoon, leaves the universe and then ends up on Mars. At that point he reflects and then can’t actually remember why he got angry.

This book is particularly good as it has great illustrations it would be more suitable for KS1. This book can be useful when thinking about behavior and differen
Antony Tills
Oct 30, 2013 Antony Tills rated it really liked it
When I picked this book up, it was purely out of curiosity. The title pulled my interest and the cover image jumped out at me. This book is - as the title says - about a boy called Arthur, who is angry. At the very start of the book the author explains what makes Arthur so angry. Throughout the book you see the boy's anger grow and grow, the author uses very powerful distributive words, including; exploding thunder, hurling rooftops and tipping hole towns. As you read on, you see the imaginative ...more
Charlotte Stevens
Apr 02, 2014 Charlotte Stevens rated it liked it
Angry Arthur is a picture booked about a little boy, Arthur, who gets extremely angry when his mum doesn’t allow him to stay up late to watch TV. Initially his anger sees him mess up the house, but soon his rage takes control and gets bigger and bigger and no one can stop him! He causes a hurricane, typhoon and even makes the earth “crack like an egg” until the whole world falls apart. The story finishes with Arthur floating in space tucked up in bed, forgetting why he was angry at all!

I liked
Annie Cole
May 17, 2016 Annie Cole rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Marilyn
Sep 06, 2013 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Arthur's mother won't let him stay up late and watch t.v. so Arthur responds by getting angry. No not a little angry but an anger that escalates in stages until it affects the whole universe. His family tries to pose an intervention but to no avail. He crosses his arms, stiffens his body, scrunches up his face and erupts with a thunderstorm force, then a typhoon, a hurricane, and finally a universe-quake. His anger becomes a weapon of mass destruction causing his world (and beyond) to explode an ...more
Michael Mccaul
Jun 20, 2014 Michael Mccaul rated it really liked it
This story see a second Princess set of in a mission to usurp her sister the first sister so she would no longer be second. Needless to say she gets into a whole lot of bother before her parents show themselves to be a deft hand at politics in finding just the right compromise that solved the problem. This story like many for this age range (5-7) has very useful lessons for children that could help in their day to day socialisation. I think I would use this to begin a circle time session.
Samara Gray
May 22, 2015 Samara Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. It is an easy read with a nice rhythm. Arthur becomes angry and goes on to create a mess.

I would use this book with KS1 up to year 4. It allows the children to think about why they get angry and if it is worth it? It would be a nice book to open a PSHE lesson with or even a P4C depending on your topic.

It would also be useful to use with a particular child if they are having problems with anger.
Concetta Kellough
Sep 19, 2016 Concetta Kellough rated it really liked it
I liked the ending. Arthur is so angry. Yet, at the end he can't even remember what made him angry.
Coralie
Jan 27, 2016 Coralie rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Stunning visual and metaphorical illustration of angry emotions in our lives at any age.
Simon
Oct 31, 2015 Simon rated it really liked it
A great little read with a neat message.
Jobiska (Cindy)
I dunno about this one...Arthur's extreme anger which (apparently irreversibly) causes a universe-quake that leaves Arthur and everything else floating in space would have scared me when I was little. I guess it might help some kids deal with anger issues, and the illustrations are good, but still....
Tara
Feb 22, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing
Love this! An updated version of Alexander and the Terrible No Good Very Bad Day, but much nicer to read. Grumpy kids will see themselves in Arthur, and happy kids will too.
John Yiannoudis
Sep 25, 2012 John Yiannoudis rated it it was amazing
a book that works! deals perfectly with the issue of kids' anger and does the job in a surreal but so effective way. Plus its so nice to read.
Miguel
Sep 02, 2016 Miguel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sencillo, con unas acuarelas muy buenas.
Belinda Luna
Belinda Luna marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Hanmarie Lingen
Hanmarie Lingen marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Rockettttt
Rockettttt marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Hannah Franks
Hannah Franks marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Ioanavis
Ioanavis rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Ness Wojkiewicz
Ness Wojkiewicz rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Antoni
Antoni rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Stewart Davies
Stewart Davies rated it it was ok
May 30, 2016
Mandar
Mandar added it
May 28, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 26, 2016
Yılmaz Çınar
Yılmaz Çınar marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
  • Beatrice's Goat
  • I Love You the Purplest
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
Hiawyn Oram is a very successful author of children's books in Britain. Her books include the popular Not-So-Grizzly Bear Stories, the Animal Heroes series, and Mona the Vampire. She lives in London.
More about Hiawyn Oram...