Start by marking “Mr. Pine's Purple House” as Want to Read:
Mr. Pine's Purple House

Mr. Pine's Purple House (Mr. Pine)

Mr. Pine lived on Vine Street in a little white house. A white house is fine, said Mr. Pine, but there are FIFTY white houses all in a line on Vine Street. How can I tell which house is mine? Mr. Pine had a big problem. But he solved that problem in his own special way. Mr. Pine's Purple House, first published in 1965, was a favorite children's book for many years. When it ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Purple House Press (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Pine's Purple House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Pine's Purple House

Charlotte
Sep 18, 2008 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with children, children's books
This was my favorite book as a child! Purple was my favorite color and of course this book was about purple! My mother gave me the book before she died (even though I wasn't yet a year-old) and I still have it. It is one of my most cherished belongings, but I've already ordered a copy to have on hand for my own one day. I can't wait to read it to my child and use the funny voices I use to use when I would read it aloud to myself! :)
Beckie
Jan 03, 2017 Beckie rated it liked it
Be unique, be an individual, be you.
Becky Loader
Sep 19, 2016 Becky Loader rated it really liked it
Mr. Pine does not like living in a ticky-tacky, all-the-same neighborhood. He solves that, all right. I always wanted a purple house...just sayin'...
Sheri
Jan 21, 2010 Sheri rated it really liked it
Shelves: demetrius
My childhood favorite, one of Demetrius' favorites... gee, I wonder why?
Purple has always been my favorite color, plus this book has such a great message about individuality. I'm not sure I got the message when I was younger, but the purple paint surely caught my interest and I was bound and determined to have a purple house of my own someday. So far I have settled for a purple couch.
Stan Paulsen
Sep 02, 2008 Stan Paulsen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this book as a child and still remember its impact on me. This is one of only a few of my childhood books that I still own. A great book about individuality! Perhaps this explains why I'm so... different. =:) I don't have a generic house in a generic neighborhood that I've had to paint purple, but I do have a purple front door on my house!
Connie
Jun 21, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
Mr. Pine has a problem. He can't tell his house from everybody else's.

So he tries one thing, and another, but people keep copying his good ideas! Finally he gets the idea to paint his house purple, and after a few mishaps he does - and starts a trend to paint houses all sorts of strange colors. But only one of them is purple :)

It's a cute story, though a little wordy for a read-aloud.
Charmaine
Nov 07, 2011 Charmaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This children's book should be manditory reading for all the developers out there would like building cookie-cutter houses.

Being different & unique is so much better than being exactly the same as everyone else.
David
Feb 23, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book growing up. My mom read us a copy that she had got when she was a little girl. I was recently surprised to see that it was still in one piece. This is an excellent book for children. Short, colorful and not written like all kids are idiots like some children's books.
Cherlynn Womack
May 10, 2011 Cherlynn Womack rated it it was amazing
Mr. Leonard Kessler is an amazing author & illustrator for children. I loved his, Mr. Pine's Mixed Up Signs as a child & still have the book to this day. Even as an adult, I am collecting all of his books for when I have children one day.
Margaret Chind
May 16, 2012 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
I still am not a fan of how much this costs for such a book, but it's on the wishlist. It has good repetition and is interesting and fun. I also thinking looking at these images it might encourage young artists to try.
Weavre
Jul 14, 2008 Weavre rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any child
Recommended to Weavre by: my mother
My childhood favorite, second only to Where the Wild Things Are ... once I branched beyond The Three Bears, anyway!

If you have a child and haven't read this book, scurry now to your nearest public library!
Natalie
Feb 23, 2009 Natalie rated it it was ok
Mr. Pine keeps gettin' his ideas ripped off left and right. That would totally piss me off.

It seems that everyone else that read this book on GoodReads is rating it based on nostalgia. You know they have come up with way better books since 1965.
Ariella Cohen
Oct 18, 2016 Ariella Cohen rated it it was amazing
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book as a kid. Wonderful message about the dangers of conformity & seeking the approval of others that is as timely today as in 1965. This book should be required reading for every Congressman & Senator.
Tanya
Apr 07, 2012 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I'm not entirely sure why they love this book so much, but it is true that my children do. Perhaps because it doesn't follow the typical formula of three things happen, then the denouement, then it is over. The denouement is a story in and of itself.
Hannah
Jul 21, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it
My siblings and I found this book at our grandma's house, and we read it many times. I still think of Mr. Pine when I see cookie-cutter houses in subdivisions!
Rachel
Mar 29, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Another early reader classic. I've never met a kid that didn't LOVE reading this book...or an adult that didn't mind having it read and re-read to them. I'm a huge fan of all the Mr. Pine books.
Kara Laidig
Sep 29, 2016 Kara Laidig rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This has to be one of my favorite books! not only does it have a good lesson about individuality, purple is the best color ever. There are some silly parts in the book too!
Tim
Sep 09, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children
Another great book from my childhood. A wonderful story about a man who tries to establish his own unique identity on a street where everything is the same.
Stephanie
Mar 26, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
At the tender age of 6 or so, my little nonconformist heart was moved by this book. Mr. Pine is my hero!
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2012
Corey
Feb 04, 2016 Corey rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favorites as a kid
Kryss
Kryss rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2013
Debbie Gunter
Debbie Gunter rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Mindy Badash
Mindy Badash rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Sebi
Sebi rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Violet Wager
Violet Wager rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2013
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
Douglas
Douglas rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Never Tease a Weasel
  • Dodsworth in London (A Dodsworth Book)
  • A Picture for Harold's Room
  • The Obstinate Pen
  • Mrs. McBloom, Clean Up Your Classroom!
  • Come Over to My House