Mr. Pine's Purple House

Mr. Pine's Purple House

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Mr. Pine lived on Vine Street in a little white house. A white house is fine, said Mr. Pine, but there are FIFTY white houses all in a line on Vine Street. How can I tell which house is mine? Mr. Pine had a big problem. But he solved that problem in his own special way. Mr. Pine's Purple House, first published in 1965, was a favorite children's book for many years. When it...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Purple House Press (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Pine's Purple House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Pine's Purple House

Cheryl in CC NV
Is this a simple & funny early-reader book about copycats? Or does it foster independent thought, nonconformity - is it profoundly incendiary? I think it's the latter, and I think it's a must-read. I also think it should have been included in the scholarly anthology Tales for Little Rebels: A Collection of Radical Children's Literature.

I wonder if the other Mr. Pine stories have such an important theme. Do you know? I'll work harder, now, to find other works by Kessler.

ETA: found Mr. Pine's...more
David
This was my favorite book growing up. My mom read us a copy that she had got when she was a little girl. I was recently surprised to see that it was still in one piece. This is an excellent book for children. Short, colorful and not written like all kids are idiots like some children's books.
Charlotte
Sep 18, 2008 Charlotte rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with children, children's books
This was my favorite book as a child! Purple was my favorite color and of course this book was about purple! My mother gave me the book before she died (even though I wasn't yet a year-old) and I still have it. It is one of my most cherished belongings, but I've already ordered a copy to have on hand for my own one day. I can't wait to read it to my child and use the funny voices I use to use when I would read it aloud to myself! :)
Connie
Mr. Pine has a problem. He can't tell his house from everybody else's.

So he tries one thing, and another, but people keep copying his good ideas! Finally he gets the idea to paint his house purple, and after a few mishaps he does - and starts a trend to paint houses all sorts of strange colors. But only one of them is purple :)

It's a cute story, though a little wordy for a read-aloud.
Sheri
My childhood favorite, one of Demetrius' favorites... gee, I wonder why?
Purple has always been my favorite color, plus this book has such a great message about individuality. I'm not sure I got the message when I was younger, but the purple paint surely caught my interest and I was bound and determined to have a purple house of my own someday. So far I have settled for a purple couch.
Stan Paulsen
I read this book as a child and still remember its impact on me. This is one of only a few of my childhood books that I still own. A great book about individuality! Perhaps this explains why I'm so... different. =:) I don't have a generic house in a generic neighborhood that I've had to paint purple, but I do have a purple front door on my house!
Tanya
I'm not entirely sure why they love this book so much, but it is true that my children do. Perhaps because it doesn't follow the typical formula of three things happen, then the denouement, then it is over. The denouement is a story in and of itself.
Natalie
Mr. Pine keeps gettin' his ideas ripped off left and right. That would totally piss me off.

It seems that everyone else that read this book on GoodReads is rating it based on nostalgia. You know they have come up with way better books since 1965.
Cherlynn Womack
Mr. Leonard Kessler is an amazing author & illustrator for children. I loved his, Mr. Pine's Mixed Up Signs as a child & still have the book to this day. Even as an adult, I am collecting all of his books for when I have children one day.
Weavre
Jul 14, 2008 Weavre rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any child
Recommended to Weavre by: my mother
My childhood favorite, second only to Where the Wild Things Are ... once I branched beyond The Three Bears, anyway!

If you have a child and haven't read this book, scurry now to your nearest public library!
Charmaine
This children's book should be manditory reading for all the developers out there would like building cookie-cutter houses.

Being different & unique is so much better than being exactly the same as everyone else.
Margaret
May 29, 2013 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
I still am not a fan of how much this costs for such a book, but it's on the wishlist. It has good repetition and is interesting and fun. I also thinking looking at these images it might encourage young artists to try.
Rachel
Another early reader classic. I've never met a kid that didn't LOVE reading this book...or an adult that didn't mind having it read and re-read to them. I'm a huge fan of all the Mr. Pine books.
Tim
Another great book from my childhood. A wonderful story about a man who tries to establish his own unique identity on a street where everything is the same.
Caren
This is one of my favorite books from childhood. One man's fight against conformity and look alike houses!
Stephanie
At the tender age of 6 or so, my little nonconformist heart was moved by this book. Mr. Pine is my hero!
Amy
This might be the piece of literature most alluded to in conversations with my family!
Michol
One of my favorite books as a child, teaches us that different is good.
Canyon's Mom
First Book I ever read by myself!
Ruth
Very enjoyable read for little kids.
Evie
Ahh, fond memories of childhood.
Kimberly Faith
Sep 25, 2008 Kimberly Faith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly Faith by: My mom
My hands down favorite children's book!
Dev
Cute and creative!
Cindi
Jan 06, 2009 Cindi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Melcat
Dory Kerkman
Dory Kerkman marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Mr. Pine's Mixed-Up Signs Last One in Is a Rotten Egg Here Comes the Strikeout Kick, Pass, and Run That's Not Santa! (Hello Reader (Level 1))