Start by marking “Life on Altamont Court: Finding the Extraordinary in the Ordinary” as Want to Read:
Life on Altamont Court:  Finding the Extraordinary in the Ordinary

Life on Altamont Court: Finding the Extraordinary in the Ordinary

When a gay couple moves in… The Inflatable Snowman. The Gigantic Inflatable Snowman. We thought that ‘Frosty’ would lead to our demise. That 20-foot monstrosity had me questioning our decision to move into this seemingly quiet neighborhood on a cul-de-sac. Was I ever wrong. It turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made. This book is dedicated to the memories ...more
Published November 21st 2013 (first published November 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Life on Altamont Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life on Altamont Court

D
Magnificent! A true gem! What an honor to be invited to Altamont Court! It is truly a special place. This story will have you in stitches one minute, and the next minute, tearing up. How wonderful this is, knowing that there is such love and kindness waiting for you out there. Even with all the shit we see day in, day out. We can still experience the good that right there in front of us.

I so loved this story! Moving through the pages of the day in the life of Altamont Court showed the true gems
Audra
Jan 14, 2014 Audra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be delightful! I giggled often and laughed out loud frequently! The author narrates in the first person and I swear, as I was reading, I almost felt like I was listening to him tell these hilarious stories over drinks after work! If I'm ever in NJ I'm going to have to seek out this cul-de-sac and check it out for myself. Trent Pines has an uncanny knack for storytelling. Not only is it mostly humorous, but it also tells a very sweet story about a wonderful gay couple with a ...more
Denise
Jan 27, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it
Recommended to Denise by: 90
The story of Trent and his partner, Ken, their kitties, and their half-million-dollar fixer-upper house in New Jersey was a very entertaining and light-hearted read that was heart-warming at times, too. The many secondary characters were fun and memorable. The tales Trent chose to share made a logical chapter progression. There were far fewer typos than are often found in indy books and memoirs, which was refreshing. Thanks for the opportunity to read about your lives and the people you share ...more
Cathryn
Jan 29, 2015 Cathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to read for my popsugar book challenge #8 "read a humorous book" now about the book what a fantastic read my sides are still aching and need a rest this book makes me want to join these fab two on altamont maybe even renovate something myself. Trent is such a great storyteller that he makes the words leap off the page making it feel he's directly conversing with you and you become part of the story. A job well done.
Jane Harris
Sep 06, 2016 Jane Harris rated it really liked it
At first I was skeptical, but I ended up really liking this book. A memoir, it is a strong story of about what constitutes "community". Trent Pines describes the intersections of family, neighbors and long-time friends all living in different situations, all bound together with love.
Anna
Aug 18, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
Love this book. I hated, hated for it to end. I felt like I was part of family and friends on Altamont Count. I would have loved to party with these people. I had a smile on my face and I laughed aloud until the end then I got sad. I can't say anything else because I would tell the story. Please, please read. I hope that Trent will write more stories.
Natalie
Sep 03, 2015 Natalie rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful, fabulous story to read. Wasn't sure if it was fiction or non but after reading parts of it, you can't make this shit up (Bless his heart). Can I give it 10 stars? Laugh out loud read and will laugh and cry at the end. Loved. This. Book. (less)
Michelle
Sep 03, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful read full of characters that I came to love. Lots of laughs. I cannot wait to meet the author and host a super fun book club next month!
Sherri
Feb 01, 2014 Sherri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book by my friend Trent! Made me wish I was an Altamont Courtian myself. Felt like a nice long coffee date, being regaled by funny and sweet stories. Very entertaining and warm.
Melissa Ladowitz
I laughed until I cried, and I just plain ol' cried. Such a refreshing book! LOVED it!!!
Trent Pines
May 02, 2014 Trent Pines rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
KIRKUS REVIEW

"A heartwarming memoir featuring funny stories of suburban life."

Pines’ debut memoir offers a lighthearted, entertaining tale about his time on Altamont Court—a small, suburban cul-de-sac in Morristown, N.J.—and the neighbors who became his surrogate family.
The author repeatedly notes that he never envisioned himself having a white-picket-fence kind of life. However, that’s exactly what he got when he moved, with his partner, Ken, to Altamont Court, a quiet suburban neighborhood fi
Marybeth
Jul 19, 2015 Marybeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked learning the background of the charaters. Wish it was longer. I hope there will be more Punumbra books.

Carolyn Sue Van Housen
Carolyn Sue Van Housen rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Cheri Lincoln
Cheri Lincoln rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Magdalena Jenc
Magdalena Jenc rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
nancy mclemore
nancy mclemore rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Sabrina Forest
Sabrina Forest rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Lisa kelley
Lisa kelley rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2016
Chelle
Chelle rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Darla Colwell
Darla Colwell rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Judi
Judi rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Irene C. Maciol
Irene C. Maciol rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Larry T Lauer
Larry T Lauer rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
berthiel c evens
berthiel c evens rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
jsoleil
jsoleil rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
emily conover
emily conover rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Trent was born in Columbus, Ohio and grew up in a small town (cornfields of the Midwest as he would say) just east of the city. After graduating from Pickerington High School (Go Tigers!) he attended college at Abilene Christian University in West Texas and earned his degree in communications. Trent went on to further his education and completed his MBA at Emory University in 2003. Although he has ...more
More about Trent D. Pines...