Start by marking “Killing Critics (Kathleen Mallory, #3)” as Want to Read:
Killing Critics (Kathleen Mallory, #3)

Killing Critics (Kathleen Mallory #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,955 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
As NYPD Detective Sergeant Kathleen Mallory probes the death of a hack artist at a gallery opening, she discovers links to a bizarre twelve-year-old double homicide and dismemberment originally investigated by her late adoptive father, Louis Markowitz.
Published June 18th 1996 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Killing Critics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Critics

Linda Robinson
Oct 02, 2012 Linda Robinson rated it it was amazing
Better and better. We learn a little more about Mallory, The Early Years. And we are privy to the politicking of a big city police force in a way that doesn't make me more cynical than I already am. The supporting misfit motleys are more interesting, bonkers and all portrayed as disturbed performance artists. In this book O'Connell treats us to another cold fish who thinks he can outfrost Mallory and we squirm in excited anticipation of the smackdown ahead. Every character is richly weird, and w ...more
Michael
Jul 30, 2012 Michael rated it liked it
It was a treat to walk in the shoes of young, beautiful, and dangerous NYPD Sergeant Mallory again. This time she is on the case of murders of art critics at the scene gallery openings. They seem to be connected to a case nearly a decade ago, which involved staging of the body parts in an twisted, "artful" display. Is it the work of a maniac serial killer or do they have a conventional motive related to emotions of greed or passion? I had more fun with the cast of characters than the mystery. Ma ...more
Eugene Gorodinsky
Jan 25, 2014 Eugene Gorodinsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Even better than the second installment in the series. In this one we, the readers, get to see a side of Mallory we were never shown before. While the first book showed a calculating mind and a person you wouldn't want to mess with and the second showed how broken she is and left you wondering whether Kathy Mallory can be fixed or not, the third book shows that she's not actually broken beyond repair and can be fixed. And then Kathy Mallory surprises us, her only friend and herself by doing some ...more
Harry Lane
O'Connell has created one of the most fascinating principals in the detective genre. Mallory is a waif whose early, homeless years made her effectively a sociopath. But she was taken in and given a veneer of civilization and a set of values by a policeman and his wife. The result is something not quite human - or perhaps someone just one step up the evolutionary ladder. In this installment, Mallory sees a connection between murder as perfomance art done in the present with a ten-year old case th ...more
Penny Ramirez
Jul 07, 2011 Penny Ramirez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series
This was very good. #3 in the series, and I have lots of catching up to do (#10 is coming out this year). Lots of gore, and lots of broken people. I enjoyed the multiple points of view - too much of what I've been reading lately has been first person, so it was a refreshing change. I thought I had it figured out, but the ending was not what I expected at all - and O'Connell really made me work for it!

I'm fascinated by Mallory's ability to compartmentalize everything, and by her "there are no rul
Georgiann Hennelly
Dean Starr a performance artist. Makes a name for himself. When he,s stabbed at a gallery during one of his more memorable pieces. Then audience liked it-until they realized how authentic Starr,s art as death,s routine is. Det Kathleen Mallory see,s a connection between Starr,s stabbing and another cold-case murder of a promising young dancer from twelve years ago. Her beloved stepfather was the investigator on that earlier unsolved case. But the deeper Mallory gets in to the past the more she r ...more
Patti Ashley
A different take

Missed the interactions between Mallory's babysitters. Everyone is on edge. A few gems reveal scenes from Mallory's childhood. We begin to see her true code.
Annie
A most excellent 5 star read! oh, she better be back!
Tracey
Nov 02, 2011 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, new-york, 3-star
I'm not sure I'm happy about living in a world where a man lying bleeding to death on the floor of an art gallery can be mistaken for art. I don't think it's so very far-fetched, either.

Interesting characters here, to say the least. In a series that shines spotlights on some of New York's Craziest, this was extreme: there is a fashion terrorist, one of the more horrific murder scenes O'Connell has featured (the details of which are one of those things which most of the characters know, but whic
Joyce Lagow
3rd in the Mallory series.[return][return]The first Mallory novel I read, Dead Famous, is the 7th in the series. I liked that book overall, thinking that the plotting and writing was very good. What bothered me, though, was the ending, and the characterization of Mallory herself. I have no trouble with a sociopath working for the NY Police Department. I do have trouble with improbability and omniscience in a plot and character. Mallory to me was not quite believable.[return][return]Granted that ...more
Susan
Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell is the third book in the Kathleen Mallory mystery series set in late-20th-century New York City. Kathleen Mallory is an NYPD detective, following in the footsteps of her late adoptive father Louis Markowski. She's quick-witted, impatient, and does not care if she's going by PD procedure or not; she has her own code of honor. Investigating a murder at an art gallery, she immediately links it to a case Markowski worked on 12 years ago. He was never satisfied with ...more
Melliott
Apr 04, 2015 Melliott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Maybe it's because I read this in a very disjointed way, stopping halfway through for a timeout to reread a book for book club, but this one frustrated me without sufficient payoff, almost to the point that I thought the author had jumped the shark! I know from the first two books that she is a writer who writes around, rather than about, the central mystery, until you get sufficient details and clues from all these separate events and scenarios to start putting it all together, and then she wow ...more
Trisha
Jan 10, 2013 Trisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Een bekende kunstenaar wordt vermoord tijdens de opening van een expositie. Wie de dader is, is niet bekend. Want ondanks de honderden aanwezigen is de moord zonder veel omhaal gepleegd.
Kathleen Mallory herinnert zich een moord die twaalf jaar eerder was gepleegd. Het speelveld was hetzelfde, namelijk de kunstenaarswereld.
Mallory wilt de zaak oplossen, maar krijgt de opdracht van hoger hand om de zaak te laten liggen. Mallory kan hier niet mee omgaan en besluit met het onderzoek verder te gaan.
Roman Clodia
May 22, 2016 Roman Clodia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No-one writes crime like O'Connell: this entry, the third in the Mallory series, flits effortlessly and disturbingly between dark humour, the grotesque, one of the most brutal crimes ever, and emotion without even a trace of sentimentality.

O'Connoll who often has a streak of magic or theatricality in her books, here turns her most satirical eye on the New York contemporary art scene: but what starts off as almost light-hearted eventually turns around to deliver yet another gut-wrenching kick.

Thi
Jeannie Holbrook
Oct 04, 2013 Jeannie Holbrook rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Spoiler Free Review

Here is the blurb about the book: Andrew Bliss, art critic pens the phrase "art terrorism" to describe the murder of artist Dean Starr. No one suspects he knows anything about a crime committed in a gallery 12 years earlier. Detective Kathy Mallory wants to reopen the case and a number of people in high places start to get nervous

This is the 3rd in a series. I really wanted to like this series. Its alright but its very repetitive, at least a 100 pages of this book. There is
Cheryl
Dec 29, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of a series of books by Carol O'Connell about a beautiful, damaged, maverick, and almost sociopathic detective named Kathleen Mallory (who insists on being called simply "Mallory"), and the people that love her despite her flaws: Charles, an intelligent, rich, but ugly family friend; Lou, the cop that takes her in; and Riker, her adopted father's partner. The relationships that develop between these characters as they solve crimes together are the focus of the series. This story ...more
Chi Dubinski
Carol O’Connell’s third Mallory mystery, “Killing Critics,” is set in the world of New York art galleries and critics. When a mediocre performance artist is murdered at a gallery, Detective Kathy Mallory connects the killing to two unsolved murders from twelve years ago. Many of the same people who were suspects then are suspects now, but higher-ups in the police department want the case to go away. Mallory makes enemies along the way but with the help of her friend Charles Butler and Detective ...more
Jeremy Hornik
Mallory is basically a non-verbal Sherlock Holmes. She is gorgeous, brilliant, perfect with weaponry, emotionally masked, above physical desire, and unerring.

Still, these books are pretty awesome. These are some evil characters and some pretty wooden dialogue (you never worry that a villain is going to turn out to have a good reason for doing stuff... a murderer maybe, but never a villain) but every once in a while there's a scene that just knocks you for a loop. Messy genre stuff that digs deep
Kirsty Darbyshire

So far I'm not finding this as good as the previous book in the series, probably because the focus is on the mystery rather than on the intriguing character of Mallory. It's reminding me somewhat of Sara Paretsky's standalone book Ghost Country because of the assortment of characters whose viewpoints we keep switching too.

The second half of the book was a big improvement on the first half culminating in a fantastic ending that has left me intrigued as to where O'Connell will go next with this s

Joan Lim
Jan 19, 2011 Joan Lim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Judas Child was the first book by Carol O' Connell that I have read and I loved it! Getting her books in the Philippines is not easy so I was quite excited to find "Killing Critics" in the bookstore. However, as I started reading it, I could not relate with any of the characters. I feel that the author was not able to successfully communicate her characters' personalities. The story itself was quite boring.. I mean, Art Terrorism? I just find the whole book weird. I didn't even bother to finish ...more
LJ
KILLING CRITICS - Ex
O'Connell, Carol - 3rd in Mallory series

Andrew Bliss, art critic pens the phrase "art terrorism" to describe the murder of artist Dean Starr. No one suspects he knows anything about a crime committed in a gallery 12 years earlier. Detective Kathy Mallory wants to reopen the case and a number of people in high places start to get nervous.

I find the character of Mallory completely intriguing. Add to the wonderful secondary characters, a dry humor and it's a winner. I shall admi
Niki Costantini
Mar 22, 2014 Niki Costantini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo sapevo... e invece no.
Anzi, lo temevo: un'altra delusione. Dopo romanzi bellissimi come Susan a faccia in giù nella neve e Louise spari' di notte, un altro scritto cosi per scrivere e di cui si poteva fare benissimo a meno. Spero migliori.
Ed è migliorato. Ho dovuto ricredermi: bello veramente. L'inizio non è un gran che, ma poi la storia si fa intensa e l'intreccio interessante. Anche lo stile così asciutto della O'Connell si è ammorbidito in alcuni tratti.
Howard Brittain
My third of the Mallory series and maybe my last. A potentially interesting character yes, but what I find to be the scatter brained side stories irritate me so much I have found the books harder to read with each title. This one really took the biscuit.
Mallory reminds me of Saga Norén in "The Bridge" Scandinavian series by Hans Rosenfeldt. But the Saga character is richer and more consistently written imho.
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen Mallory revisits a 12-year-old double murder case first investigated by her beloved adoptive father, whose death was central in Mallory's Oracle. The murder of a second-rate performance artist in mid-performance has many associations to the earlier, grisly and still unsolved homicides, which also touched the art world. O'Connell is still on track, writing suspenseful murder investigations.
Voula
Sep 26, 2016 Voula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm kind of torn about this series. I like the writing. I like the mysteries, even if I have no idea what's going on until the end. I'm not all that enthusiastic about Mallory. She's a mess and sort of irritating. I like the other regular characters in the book. I'm still on the fence, though, about whether I will continue reading this series.
Lydia
Sep 28, 2011 Lydia rated it it was amazing
I'm falling more in love with Carol O'Connell with every Mallory book I read. This novel held just as much suspense and need-to-stay-up-all-night-to-finish-this-book as Mallory's Oracle and The Man Who Cast Two Shadows, if not more. Mallory is a wonderful character that I am surprised has not made it to the big screen yet - I highly recommend this series of books!
Eustachio
Nov 28, 2014 Eustachio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mi aspettavo di meglio, avendo già letto La giuria deve morire. Scrittura secca e noiosi eventi che si susseguono in 347 pagine, finite con un sollievo dopo un triste conto alla rovescia.
Ok, non è bruttissimo, ma in pratica la quarta di copertina mi ha rovinato la trama, e la trama non era di suo un granché, per cui... be', credo che non comprerò altri libri della O'Connel a breve.
Jessica
O'Connell does a nice job of highlighting the different forms of mental anguish and damage that can make people a confusing jumble of behaviors and commentary, even though it does make for tough going in spots to understand what's happening. While there might be one too many ideas here, I'll stick around to see what else is in store for Mallory.
Rebekkila
Jul 10, 2016 Rebekkila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is so rare that the hero of a book is openly a sociopath, but the author really makes it work. I am going to have to reread Mallory's origin story, it has been a while and I forgot why she is the way she is.
Kaethe
We still earn 70 cents on the man's dollar, but at least we get out own sociopathic rogue cops to love. Best aspect to the series: people trying so hard to turn Mallory into a conventional gal, even calling her "Kathy."
  • To Play the Fool (Kate Martinelli, #2)
  • Ghost Hero (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #11)
  • Chelsea Mansions (Brock & Kolla, #11)
  • The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3)
  • City of Ice
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
  • Loving Time (April Woo, #3)
  • Remember Me, Irene (Irene Kelly #4)
  • The Cruel Stars of the Night
  • The Beverly Malibu (Kate Delafield, #3)
  • Leave a Message for Willie
  • Cold Rain
  • Desert Shadows (A Lena Jones Mystery #3)
  • The Alpine Kindred (Emma Lord, #11)
  • The Night Watchman (Ray Quinn #1)
  • A Darker Domain (Inspector Karen Pirie, #2)
  • Murder on the Ile Saint-Louis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #7)
  • A Death In Calabria (Michele Ferrara, #4)
Born in 1947, Carol O'Connell studied at the California Institute or Arts/Chouinard and the Arizona State University. She lives in New York City.

Series:
* Kathleen Mallory

More about Carol O'Connell...

Kathleen Mallory (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • The Man Who Cast Two Shadows (Kathleen Mallory, #2)
  • Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4)
  • Shell Game (Kathleen Mallory, #5)
  • Crime School (Kathleen Mallory, #6)
  • Dead Famous (Kathleen Mallory, #7)
  • Winter House (Kathleen Mallory, #8)
  • Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)
  • The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10)
  • It Happens in the Dark (Kathleen Mallory, #11)