Welcome! It looks like you still need
to set up your Goodreads account.
Night Shift (Night Tales, #1)

Night Shift (Night Tales #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,606 ratings  ·  47 reviews
A New York Times BestsellerThe hours between dusk and dawn are filled with mystery, danger . . . and romance. Here is a classic tale of passion and peril by the incomparable mistress of romantic suspense.
Hardcover, Large Print, 325 pages
Published December 1st 2005 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1st 1991)

Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardSomething About You by Julie JamesNaked in Death by J.D. RobbDream Man by Linda HowardOpen Season by Linda Howard
Best Police Romances
57th out of 148 books — 129 voters
The Pride of Jared MacKade by Nora RobertsLuring A Lady by Nora RobertsThe Stanislaskis by Nora RobertsThe Fall of Shane MacKade by Nora RobertsThe Heart of Devin MacKade by Nora Roberts
MRM Contemporary Romance Novels
29th out of 101 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Mojca
It starts with (innocuous) phone calls into her radio show, then there are threats and phone calls to her home. Cilla O'Roarke has no choice but to turn to the cops...One cop in particular, Boyd Fletcher.

Nora Roberts is an acquired taste (for me). She isn't an author to like on the first take, and it took a while for me to really appreciate her. I needed to get used to her narrative style, so different from other authors out there. But I came to like her, though it usually still takes a couple o...more
Saly
Really enjoyed this, our heroine Cilla has two things in life she cares about her job as a RJ and her sister who she is putting through college and she hates cops though not for the reasons we think, as we learn later her mother was one.

So, she is not happy when the police comes to help her, when a caller becomes threatening and persistent. Boyd is one of the cops on the case and he makes her feel things that even her ex-husband didn't. I really liked that the hero fell for her so badly, that he...more
Nandhini Sathyamurthy
Nora Roberts churns out a classic Romantic Thriller out of the two protagonists in this book. But rather than focusing on the thriller portion, a majority of the book goes off the track with the story of Cilla, her depressing past and her unstable feelings. Put an attractive looking detective investigating the case and the harassed female DJ who has voice of silk and POOF! - Nora Roberts manages to whip a romantic (At times, erotic) tale out of the blue. What is it with women getting lusty over...more
faeriemyst
Short synopsis: A deejay, Cilla O'Roarke, in Denver starts getting calls from some creepazoid whose threats intensify with every phone call. The police enter the scene, one of which is Boyd Fletcher, who immediately falls for Cilla. So begins the romance.

Written for Silhouette's Intimate Moments line, Night Shift is an early Nora Roberts' romance and the first in the Night Tales series. While I didn't expect to be blown away by the story, I was hoping to be passably entertained. Unfortunately, t...more
Delia Binder
Boulder, CO radio DJ Cilla O'Roarke starts getting crank calls and pranks that get increasingly threatening - so when her Station Manager calls the Boulder PD, they take it seriously enough to send a team of Lieutenants(!) to help her. One of them, Boyd Fletcher, is a good-looking guy from a wealthy family as well as a cop - all the things Cilla's suspicious of! All she wants is to get her life back DJ'ing and taking care of her younger sister Deb, who's studying to a lawyer - she doesn't have t...more
Ning

มันเป็นสมัย ดีเจยังเปิดแผ่น ตัวละครใช้ตู้โทรศัพท์
แล้วเพลงร๊อคทั้งหลายก็นะเก่ามากกก
อ่านแล้วระลึกความหลังวัยเยาว์ดีเหมือนกัน

Melis
Vücudumun her yeri Noraaaa diye bağıyor valla. Resmen her köşemden Nora'nın muhteşem karakterleri - özellikle erkekler - fışkırıyor :D Kesinlikle bu kadına hastayım ben. Ne yazsa okunur yeminlen. Ve bu kitap içinde söyleyeceğim şey; Boyd seni bi kaşıkta yemek istiyorum :D
Esra Ç.
Linda Howard romanları gibiydi biraz da eve dallas serisini hatırlatıyordu çoook beğendim.. Ehh Nora olunca beğenmemek mümkün değil zaten :D
Michaela
Cilla O'Roarke is a DJ. She works the night shift and enjoys it. Or at least she does until she starts getting the scary phonecalls from a man who threatens to kill her. At first, she tries to brush it off but as the threats get more and more vicious, Cilla realizes that her life really is in grave danger. The police get involved and with the arrival of Detective Boyd Fletcher, Cilla's life gets even more complicated.

I enjoyed this book mainly because of Boyd Fletcher. He's a very intriguing man...more
Xiki71
No está mal. Es entretenido y dentro de los harlequines de Nora Roberts, de los mejores que he leido. Pero eso sí, no esperéis cosas modernas, con este libro volvemos a principios de los noventa cuando aun pululaban por ahí los vinilos, las cabinas telefónicas y las protagonistas de novela romática fumaban un cigarrillo tras otro.
Para pasar el día no está mal
Jen
Cilla O'Rourke is a late night DJ who's being harassed and threatened by a listener. Boyd Fletcher is the detective called in to investigate. Cilla and Boyd are great characters who have their flaws but that's what makes them good. The relationship between the two was believable and the story was good.
Alex
May 06, 2013 Alex rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: crap
I'm giving this 3 stars for likability but really, I find Nora Roberts to be tedious. I've read better composed fanfic than her novels (including fanfic with few typos than a Roberts' novel). Really, the whole time I was reading I kept comparing it to fan fiction. Should that be the bar to which we hold published works? Really?

In any event, it was an extremely fast read. The story was compelling enough, the sex stuff was totally heavy handed and eye roll worthy and the grammar was just bad (Robe...more
Teresa
O meu tipo de livro romance e policial em conjunto, este perde um pouco no policial: : o perseguidor é um pouco rebuscado.
Alicia Scully
Wow. My first romance novel. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, especially because this isn't my genre at all. Cilla is a radio DJ who starts to get threatening phone calls saying that someone's going to kill her. Boyd is the detective assigned to her case and there's an instant attraction. Cilla wants to avoid getting involved but Boyd is quite persistent. The book was fast paced and not especially steamy. For a first romance novel, this was a good one to start with, especially w...more
Jocelyn
Fantastic!!!:)
Shauna Tyndall
While I thought Night Shift was entertaining, I have to admit I was disappointed by the ending and who the stalker was. I liked the romance but for one thing: Boyd's insistence that Cilla would marry him. I also knew that despite her protests, she would marry him. Thus proving him right. I hate that. For once, can we see the woman stand by what she says? I'm not saying that no character should ever marry, but if she (or he) says that they do not want to get married, they should stand by that.
Deyara
Yick. The first Nora Roberts I have had to skim through to the end. Cilla was a bit of a nuisance, and I didnt warm to Boyd at all. When he dared/bullied her into kissing him is where I stopped reading properly - what sort of wank thinks that is sexy? Skipped through just reading bits here and there, then read the end. Didnt inspire me to go back and read the rest. Liked the sibling stuff and thats about it.
Sonia Cristina
Gostei muito, fez-me relembrar do talento de Nora Roberts, do que tem de melhor. Um romance pequeno com um pouco de tudo, sendo a parte da intriga bem entusiasmante e a parte de romance, bem, romântica, qb.

O final foi surpreendente, pois NR termina os seus livros às pressas mas este teve um final elaborado que muito apreciei.
Rachel Rogers
Felt like stories she has written since: the faceless focus on the villain, the growing suspense. A nice story about interesting people. Since I'm about to embark on the Night tales series that has been on the shelf for years, I'm enjoying the characters and seeing who will be reappearing.
Afsana

This was a quick read and enjoyable.
though I suppose it would be counted as romnace there was not a lot of sex which I think was great it wasn't girl meets boy , they get together romance.

am thinking will try the next in ths series whch is about the heroines sister
Doris
The first of the Night series, recommended to anyone who's ever worked the graveyard shift! Good suspence, great characters and a really hot love story. Now that I've read all of the Night stories I can say that I liked this one the best.
Daniel
My first romance novel. Romance is a genre I never cared about, but now I see the draw. The novel was charming, effortless, formulaic, and harmless. No prize-winner but who cares. We all need an easy escape. Thanks, Nora.
Tania Martins
Mais um romance que a Nora já nos habituou, embora tenha gostado mas me tenha irritado esta coisa da independência feminina levada ao extremo, tudo bem que eram os anos 90 mas...romance leve e sem grandes complicações!
Jessica B
Nora Roberts never fails to deliver a good contemporary romance! This one kind of reminded me of the J.D. Robb books. It was a little bit darker but a really great read.

Loved the title on this one!
Mimna
ดำเนินเรื่องเชื่องช้าไปนิดสำหรับนิยายสืบสวน แต่ชอบที่ตัวร้ายเป็นคนใกล้ตัวและอยู่นอกสายตา

ความสัมพันธ์ของพระนางก็เรื่อยๆ ค่ะ แต่ทำให้เราเห็นความพัฒนาของทั้งคู่ ซึ่งก็ดีเพราะมิมไม่ชอบแบบรวดเร็วรวบรัด
Alice
This is the first in a series of 5. This one introduces most of the characters from the rest of the series. A radio announcer is being stalked and, of course, falls in love with a policeman.
Jeanie
I wish I had known this was in the middle of a "series"
I really Liked the mystery in the book and the bit of romance. I think this is only the second book By Nora Roberts that I have read.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
It's a Ms. Roberts book, need I really say more? This series I remember because of the DA/Lawyer/Cop tie ins with also a bit of paranormal. It was intriguing and so easy to read it all.
Carrie Felton
LOVE Nora Roberts! She weaves amazing stories. This one was no different. Wasn't too fond of the smoking but the times were different when it was written. Excited for the next one
  • Love With The Proper Stranger
  • When You Call My Name (Silhouette Intimate Moments #687)
  • Danger Zone
  • Beguiled (Men to the Rescue #1)
  • Deadly Ties (Deadly, #2)
  • Gabriel Hawk's Lady (The Protectors, #9) (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #830)
  • Marriage on Demand (Silhouette Special Edition, #939)
  • The Specialist
  • Witness Seduction
  • Finally Home
  • Second Time Bride
  • Takedown (The Precinct, #12)
  • Colorado Abduction (Christmas at the Carlisles, #1)
  • Missing in Death (In Death, #29.5)
  • Kiss Me, Katie! / Hug Me, Holly! (Harlequin Duets, #42)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • The Greek Billionaire's Innocent Princess
  • The Silent Rose (The Haunted Trilogy #2)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her...more
More about Nora Roberts...