Start by marking “Carve Her Name with Pride” as Want to Read:
Carve Her Name with Pride

Carve Her Name with Pride

Carve Her Name With Pride is the inspiring story of the half-French Violette Szabo who was born in Paris Iin 1921 to an English motor-car dealer, and a French Mother. She met and married Etienne Szabo, a Captain in the French Foreign Legion in 1940. Shortly after the birth of her daughter, Tania, her husband died at El Alamein. She became a FANY (First Aid Nursing ...more
Published June 15th 2008 by Pen & Sword (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Carve Her Name with Pride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carve Her Name with Pride

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankOut of Africa by Isak DinesenIntermix Nation by M.P. AttardoThe Good Daughter by Jasmin DarznikA Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft
Inspirational women
7th out of 84 books — 23 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferNight by Elie WieselSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
World War II Fiction & Non-fiction
88th out of 322 books — 197 voters

More lists with this book...

Daniel Villines
Oct 19, 2013 Daniel Villines marked it as to-read
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours.

The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.

A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause.

For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours and yours.

Nancy
Apr 21, 2011 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii
This is hagiography, not biography. Not only is Violette without flaw or fault, the book presents myth as fact, with the shoot-out at the end that didn't happen. The book also doesn't acknowledge how SOE botched things in France. This is a book of its time, written too soon after the war for truth. Still, it's an important work of WWII spy literature, but it has to be read with a mind to what is not being said.
Adrienne Hennessey
Oct 07, 2012 Adrienne Hennessey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-war-2
I can't believe what a brave woman Violette Szabo was. This was the book that started me on my avid interest in SOE's of World War 2. The book was put together from true accounts of her life by close family, friends & people who came into contact with her through her work in Special Operations. The book is so descriptive & she really comes to life in the pages. I read the book many years ago & it remains my favourite book to this day.
Dara Gorman
Nov 19, 2016 Dara Gorman rated it it was amazing
A true heroine of WW2

I have given this book a five star rating because it is a true story, so well told, that you cheer the heroine on when she is triumphant, and cry when she is in peril. What bravery! But what a loss to her family, friends and country. A thoughtful read.
Lauren
Jun 09, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shahrun
Bernadette Calonego
Nov 25, 2013 Bernadette Calonego rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I had never heard of Violette Szabo before, who was a secret agent for the British and Allied Forces in WW2. She was only 23 years old when she was executed by the Nazis.

Violette was not only beautiful, she was/is a true hero. What she endured while she was a prisoner of the Germans, is unspeakable.

Even under torture by the Gestapo, she never gave her secrets away.

In the book, it is only hinted at what kind of atrocities Violette was subjected, too, and how she suffered in the concentration cam
Pete daPixie
Feb 23, 2009 Pete daPixie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-wwii
The book made into a film with Virginia McKenna in the star role. There is much more in this book. The story of Violette Szabo nee Bushell, who was born in Paris and grew up in England. She married a French Officer during the war, but when he was killed at El-Alamein, Violette joined the S.O.E. even though she had a young daughter.
The book tells of her training etc.,that even her own parents were kept ignorant of.
She worked on various missions in occupied France and was captured during sabotage
Pedro
Apr 26, 2015 Pedro rated it it was amazing
Violette Szabo is mentioned several times in Between Silk and Cyanide: A Codemaker's War, 1941-1945 with the suffering Leo Marks experienced by what Violette endured as a POW. If you read Marks' book you should read Carve Her Name with Pride.
Christine Busuttil
Oct 19, 2014 Christine Busuttil rated it it was amazing
This book conveys Violette's personality beautifully ,in a very matter of fact way.

I found the information and detail in the book absolutely fascinating, particularly the detail within the training she was given.

Because it was written so soon after the war it has many little stories of Violette first hand, as those that knew her as a child ,colleague, and fellow agents were available to talk to the author about her

The fact she spent much of her time in the same area of London that I grew up in a
Jim
Mar 03, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This is the World War II story of Violette Szabo. I first heard of her in the great book titled, "Between Silk and Cyanide." This young woman twice entered occupied France and from her second visit she did not return. The second time, gun in hand, she held up the advance guard of an S.S. Panzer Division, enabling a companion-in-arms to escape and she was only taken prisoner when her magazine was empty. This is a detailed and documented history of a very brave, amazing woman.

Mistress of the Dark Path
I read this book over ten years ago, but it still leaves an impression on me today. Anyone who is interested in the brave women who served as spies during WWII should definitely check this one out. Do be prepared for an emotional story and know the ending isn't a happy one. Violet was an inspiring woman, though, and one who should be remembered for her courage and valor.
Lili
Apr 22, 2012 Lili rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Violette Szabo, who having lost her french husband in the war decides to join up. She leaves her child with her parents works for the resistance and faces the horrors of war. An exceptionally brave woman.
Mark
Feb 13, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women and WWII buffs
This is a biography of a young woman living in Britain during WWII. She was half French and spoke it fluently. She volunteered to parachute into occupied France to help the French Resistence. She was a woman of beauty and unbelivable daring.
James Burns
Jan 28, 2013 James Burns rated it it was amazing
A great book about a couragous young woman who sacrificed all to fight nazi germany. you will be really glad that you read this book. Also see the movie
fran waite
Jan 24, 2016 fran waite rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

Wow what a woman! She did a very courageous and determined woman, who sacrificed herself to save others for no thought for herself.
Sophie
Jul 28, 2011 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of one heroic woman outweighs everything else. To comment on style over substance would be churlish.

She should hav ebeen awarded the VC as well as the George Cross.
Jul 21, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Although I was initially unsure, I loved it. I laughed, cried and curled up my toes during times of laughter, sadness and torture. What a brave woman!
Malcolm Burtt
Jul 08, 2014 Malcolm Burtt rated it really liked it
An honest and interesting account of the life of Violet Szabo. I found the text slightly confused in places as the sequence of events appeared to shift from time to time.
Gentian
Aug 13, 2014 Gentian rated it really liked it
Excellent book about an inspirational woman. This is one of those books that has been on my 'to read' list for about 20 years. I am only sorry I had not got round to it earlier.
Nicole Grillo
Mar 02, 2013 Nicole Grillo rated it it was amazing
I first read this book when I was 16. That was nearly 35 years ago. It is still my most favorite book. It left a last impression.
Linda Ferguson
Linda Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
Heidi Walton
Heidi Walton rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
C.j.
C.j. rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Bryan Dedman
Bryan Dedman rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Sandie Cartwright
Sandie Cartwright rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2014
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2015
Md Farzul
Md Farzul rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Triffid
Triffid rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2012
Stacie
Stacie rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Reach for the Sky
  • Sisterhood of Spies
  • A Life in Secrets: Vera Atkins and the Missing Agents of WWII.
  • Rosie's War
  • The Test of Courage: Michel Thomas
  • Warrior: The Amazing Story of a Real War Horse
  • The Souvenir: A Daughter Discovers Her Father's War
  • Don't Leave Me This Way
  • Notes From The Firehouse: Seventeen Firefighting Stories From A Retired Firefighter
  • Nancy Wake
  • The Shetland Bus: A WWII Epic of Escape, Survival and Adventure
  • Dam Busters: The True Story of the Legendary Raid on the Ruhr
  • Is That All There Is?: The Strange Life of Peggy Lee
  • Do Tampons Take Your Virginity?: A Catholic Girl's Memoir
Rubeigh James (RJ) Minney was a novelist, biographer, playwright and film producer. He wrote more than thirty books, including biographies of Charlie Chaplin, Violette Szabo, Tsar Nicholas II, and Clive of India.
More about Rubeigh James Minney...