Start by marking “Troubleshooter (Tim Rackley #3)” as Want to Read:
Troubleshooter (Tim Rackley #3)

Troubleshooter (Tim Rackley #3)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  508 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
The series that started it all!

The maestro of pulse-pounding suspense delivers an explosive new white-knuckle thriller featuring deputy U.S. Marshal Tim Rackley -- a lawman driven by honor, morality, and a thirst for justice. The leader of one of the country's most violent biker gangs, Den Laurey should have been behind bars. But thanks to a daring escape on an L.A. freewa
Published July 25th 2006 by HarperTorch (first published August 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Troubleshooter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troubleshooter

Marleen
Mar 17, 2015 Marleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gregg-hurwitz
Lee
May 15, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tim-rackley
Tim Rackley and his supporting cast of the LA Sherriff unit's third thrilling adventure, hasn't slowed down any from his previous two. Their after a vicious biker club. Hurwitz gives the reader some real intense action. Only one more in his Rackley series, then I will be searching for his stand alones.
Ron Chicaferro
Jun 12, 2016 Ron Chicaferro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Move over Raylan Givens, there's a new Marshall in town and his name is Tim Rackley. This book is action galore - its a non-stop pulse-pounding story involving some very bad dudes who ride motorcycles. I don't see how Greg Hurwitz can write any better - - the sentences are short and sweet - the story takes place in Los Angeles and the City and suburbs play an important part - - Hurwitz has put a lot of research into the story and it shows throughout. Its a scary story and one that needs attentio ...more
Stacy
Oct 13, 2015 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this is the third Tim Rackley tale, it's my first. I can't imagine why this book hasn't been rated higher, it's outstanding in it's genre, a cop action adventure.
Marshall Rackley isn't the usual fare and the biker gang he's after are, as others have said, especially vicious and pervasive. Although this almost put me off the read early on, by no means is it completely inconceivable. The horror of imagining such an outlaw gang could florish in America, even in Cali, is rather off putting
Mike (the Paladin)
This is the third book about Tim Rackley U.S. Marshal and it's not bad. This happened to be one the library had available and I'd never read anything by the author before, so I sent for it.

There's a back story here that I had to pickup the "important parts of" as I went. Our hero had just gotten reinstated to the Marshal Service...there's a reason for that but it's probably a spoiler so I'll leave it to you to read the book. Anyway, murder, motorcycle gangs...angst. all here for your reading pl
Ed
Jan 28, 2010 Ed rated it it was amazing
Hard-driving, fast-paced tale of a trio of U.S. Marshals going up against a biker gang in California with some grand ideas on how to make money. Great supporting cast including the large and gruff Marshal Bear. Fun read.
Michelle
May 16, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tightly plotted, well-crafted thriller with interesting and fleshed out characters. The plot is original, suspenseful and complex enough to keep you guessing. The body count is grim and the violence graphic, but I didn't think it was gratuitous. I especially admired the author's choice to make the protagonist's relationship with his wife a central part of the story. Their relationship was represented as mature, mutually respectful and solid. I can think of only a handful of authors in ...more
Feb 19, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hurwitz-gregg
Gangs in LA and the cops who chase them. Didn't finish it
Jen
Jul 06, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to TROUBLESHOOTER by Gregg Hurwitz on audiobook. U.S. Marshall Tim Rackley hunts down escaped convict Den Laurey. Laurey is a member of the Laughing Sinners, one of the most violent biker gangs in Los Angeles. Rackley's hunt is personal: Laurey shot Rackley's pregnant wife, Drey. But when the Marshall's investigation collides with the FBI's investigation, all hell breaks loose.

TROUBLESHOOTER was simply an all-around great thriller. The action was constant, and at times quite creepy. T
Tom Tischler
Nov 29, 2015 Tom Tischler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Den Laurey the leader of one of the country's most violent biker
gangs is loose once again due to a daring escape on the LA freeway.
Several deputy marshals are dead and deputy marshal Tim Rackley
is back on the warrants squad and hot on their trail. Just when
Laurey is within his grasp Rackley has to let him go with devastating
results. A few miles up the road a sheriffs deputy is attacked and
it's Tim's pregnant wife. Driven by guilt Tim vows to track him down
and this leads him into a dark world of
Darlene
Jul 10, 2016 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid Tim Rackley novel, this time featuring biker gangs and a truly convoluted mystery. Rackley's back with the US Marshal's office, and his nickname of "Troubleshooter" is apt and earned. I'm looking forward to reading the next Rackley novel, and Hurwitz is climbing up my "auto buy" list, right alongside Lee Child, Robert Crais, Thomas Perry and Stephen Hunter.
Stacy Buscaglia
Apr 05, 2015 Stacy Buscaglia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a really fun ride!!! I loved the commentary and range of emotions expressed from the fellow US Marshal Deputies in this. I think the author did a great job in writing those scenarios accurately. I was a little disappointed from the somewhat lack of emotion in the ending. Maybe that's just me over romanticizing married life but the book was great overall and I would recommend reading this especially if you are interested in law enforcement and how they deal with life.
jessica wilson
Mar 20, 2015 jessica wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Yeah, I like fast paced thrillers. Hurwitz weaves a pretty good story. I like them all the more as they are set in Los Angeles with fairly accurate details. Go Team Rackley!
Brian Krause
I just didn't enjoy it. Weak characters and a weak story. It pains me to say so since I am a Hurwitz fan. But not a fan of this book.
Scott Loveland
Jun 14, 2016 Scott Loveland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent thriller from Hurwitz, very exciting page turner with a twist at the climax I didn't see coming.
Corey Baltzer
May 10, 2016 Corey Baltzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Great reading, thankfully a bit less disturbing than others in the series!
Tom Kinney
Definitely the worst book so far in the Tim Rackley series. The first two books, The Kill Clause, and The Program were very suspenseful and gut wrenching. This one just didn't generate that type of excitement. Although "Rack" did have to deal with an emotional issue throughout the book, the story just wasn't enough to satisfy me. Hopefully the next Rackley book will be better. I think Gregg Hurwitz is an awesome writer, so I'm sure it will be.
Jp
Enjoyable, solid, but unfortunately, not as strong as The Program, Gregg Hurwitz's previous novel. Tim Rackley and his collection of secondary characters were as strong and interesting as they had been in the previous two book in the Rackley series, but this seemed to be closer to a thriller/action novel than mystery.

Still enjoyable, though. And I'm looking forward to the last two books that Gregg Hurwitz has written.
Ed Schmidt
Dec 29, 2015 Ed Schmidt rated it it was amazing
A ruthless biker escapes custody after killing his law enforcement escorts. Rackley assembles a team to chase him down. The investigation leads to several dead women and the smuggling scheme for a new, deadly drug. One by one, Rackley and company kill or capture members of the biker gang. His wife, Drey is shot by the murderous biker and her life is hanging on by a thread as Rackly diligently persues the killer.
Gregg Hutchings
Aug 04, 2012 Gregg Hutchings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of the Tim Rackley series that I read, and I wish I would have started with the first one, Kill Clause.
This goes into the character, the U.S. Marshal in LA who pursues escaped felons from prison. Without the background of the first book, you are at a somewhat loss to understand what makes Tim click.
Besides that, I loved it.
Great writing, and of course, the author has a great name :-)
Cindy
May 14, 2016 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A "made me read past bedtime" plots. Fast moving. Well Narrated by Eric Steele. Some vulgarity. Recommended for those liking the genre & some wanting to understand biker-morals.
LInda L
Mar 05, 2016 LInda L rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I have loved many other Hurwitz books, I hated this one SO MUCH. All violence and torture and too much information about Biker clubs, which apparently exist to maim and murder each other. I'll read the rest of his books, but I was VERY disappointed in this one.
Skip
Oct 01, 2010 Skip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
Fast paced story of Tim Rackley, who is called in to track down two motorcycle gang escapees, who end up shooting his pregnant sheriff wife. In tracking them down, Tim has to solve the mysterious deaths of some vacationers and stop a drug cartel from flooding L.A. with smack.
Don
The 3rd volume in the Tim Rackley series.

Great series. So far, I think this is the best one yet.

Real nasty Killer Bikers. And Hurwitz has done his research in regards to Harley Motorbikes and the rough and somewhat crude Biker lingo.
Deb Mj
Feb 15, 2014 Deb Mj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, but gets knocked down a notch for the almost-over-the-top violence. Apparently there is one more book in the Rackley series. While I'm looking forward to reading it, I'll be very sorry to see this series end.
Tara
Aug 22, 2010 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been many moments where I have had to reread passages because I have tuned out, or I completely had no idea what they were talking about. It has been interesting reading about biker gangs, but in my own na
Ricardo
Dec 10, 2013 Ricardo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book, well researched. Personally, I find the author's writing style heavy and difficult to get into. I finished the book but it was not one of those "can't wait to see what happens next"
Brian Stethem
My least favorite in the Rackley series. As another reader commented, I often had to stop and try to figure out what they were talking about or doing. And I didn't find the story all that engaging.
Barbara B.
Aug 22, 2013 Barbara B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying this author, especially the series with Tim Rackley, a U.S.Marshall. Can't wait to get the next book and see what happens.
Lisa
Jul 09, 2012 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hugely disappointing after the other books I've read from this author...I tuned out to the point of giving up.
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Skin Deep
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • Threat Multiplication (Slowpocalypse, #2)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • Prophets of the Ghost Ants
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • Ripper (Event Group Thriller #7)
  • The Magician's Tale
  • The Last Day
  • The Un-Magician (OutCast, #1)
  • Snow Angel: 8
  • The Nostradamus Prophecies (Antichrist Trilogy #1)
  • Stowaway To Mars
  • Cemetery Of Angels
  • Death in Dublin (Peter McGarr, #16)
  • First Evidence
  • Dead Man Waltzing (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #2)
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the New York Times bestselling author of 15 thrillers, including the recently released ORPHAN X. His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been translated into 27 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine, Punisher) and DC (Batman, Peng
More about Gregg Hurwitz...

Tim Rackley (4 books)
  • The Kill Clause (Tim Rackley, #1)
  • The Program (Tim Rackley, #2)
  • Last Shot (Tim Rackley, #4)