Start by marking “The Black Duke's Prize” as Want to Read:
The Black Duke's Prize

The Black Duke's Prize

Sent to London by her untrustworthy uncle, the beautiful and feisty Katherine Ralston arrives for the Season in utter despair. Not only is she caught up in the mad whirl of ballgowns and galas, she must also make certain that her disreputable uncle doesn’t sell her family estate in her

Katherine Ralston, a country girl at heart, sees the Season in London as somethin
Published May 28th 1995 by Avon Books (Mm) (first published May 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Duke's Prize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Duke's Prize

The Duke and I by Julia QuinnThe Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia QuinnRomancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia QuinnAn Offer From a Gentleman by Julia QuinnNine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean
Best Avon Romance
116th out of 128 books — 91 voters
Spirit of the Highway by Deborah SwiftMrs. Mike by Benedict FreedmanA Dangerous Inheritance by Alison WeirThe Unfaithful Queen by Carolly EricksonKatherine by Anya Seton
80th out of 95 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

1.5 Stars

Katherine 'Kate' Ralston was to inherit her parents' estate upon her 22nd birthday. Uncle Simon, her ruthless guardian, intended on selling it even though he did not legally have the authority to do it. Kate made some verbal threats but was sent to live with her godparents in London.

Shortly after her arrival, she attended a ball and was saved from a nefarious nobleman by the Black Devil himself, the Duke of Sommesby. From there on out, just accept the author's premise with her version
Lord Rose
The characters' actions seemed rather unnatural at times, as if they acted a certain way because the author felt they should for the sake of the story, but didn't feel organic to the situation/character. They overreacted to situations that barely seemed to warrant mild irritation, then responded to the situations in ways that made very little sense.

The last scene was possibly one of the most idiotic things I have ever read. (view spoiler)
Apr 08, 2016 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read. Kate was in trouble (in danger of losing her inheritance), so her godfather recruited Nicholas (the Black Duke) to help her out (unbeknownst to him at first). There were some ups and downs (big ones - bad uncle kidnapped Kate), but the inheritance was saved (sort of). There were some major misunderstandings, but Nicholas finally came around. As it turns out, Nicholas had some trouble of his own and a rather dangerous enemy (you won’t believe what he wanted!) who kidna ...more
Kirsi Johnson
Jun 24, 2015 Kirsi Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recency, Clean Read

I went into this book with some caution as it was highly recommended to me by someone who had previously recommended something of a dud. I was pleasantly surprised by this one though. I had a roommate that used to tell me that there is a Jack for every Jill--this book, at least to me, definitely follows that rule. The main characters were both a bit feisty and definitely made for each other. I will admit that there were times I verbally asked the book, "Seriously?," but if you
Sherri Weeden
Jul 26, 2016 Sherri Weeden rated it liked it
This book is a historical romance book.

Nicholas Varnon has a reputation, but with just the right woman he is willing to change his ways with the little attitude, but when each of his good intense places him in danger of losing the only woman that matches him he rushes to save her.

Katherine Ralston is about to lose everything, she has already lost her parents and her uncle is about to sale off everything else her family has worked for, but when she meets the arrogant Duke and all his intense to r
Jun 06, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Katherine has lost her closest family, now her uncle is sending her away from her home to London, and she just knows it is to sell it off, and keep the money from her. Not knowing what to do, she seeks refuge with her godparents. When the Black Duke gets a request from a friend to aid in a purchase of an estate, hes quick to help. He never expected Katherine, though, or how hed be quick to aid her, too.
Historical romance, suspense and fluff in a great combo. Listened to the audioversion and the
Barbara Gordon
Sep 24, 2012 Barbara Gordon rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2012 January rated it really liked it
The Black Duke is a man with a temper who strikes fear in everyone who knows him. He does what he wants and pity the fool who gets in his way. In spite of his bad humor, he does have a close circle of friends who seem to tolerate him. A group of friends who take under their wing one Katherine Ralston, a young lady of considerable strong will herself — and the only one, it seems, who can put the Black Duke in his place and live to tell about it.

Katherine is the heiress to her deceased parents’ es
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Aug 15, 2013 Melody May (What I'm Reading) rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
Sunday, the eve before we got our stuff and the same day I started reading The Black Duke's Prize. I couldn't put it down, but I had to get some sleep the movers were coming the next day to deliver our stuff. Torn between sleep and a book. Well, sleep won. We were super busy that I wasn't able to get back to the book until late at night. Last night I was able to finish the book.

Here's what its about: We have Miss Katherine Ralston who goes to live with her Godparents while her uncle destroys her
Nov 06, 2014 Lynda rated it liked it
Excellent. The story of Kate (Katherine) and Nicholas (Nicki). Kate loses her parents and is subjected to the guardianship of her louse of an uncle. He sends her to London to her God parents home so that he can sell her home out from under her before she reaches her majority at twenty-two. She meets the notorious Black Duke at her first ball and immediately she challenges him as no other has before her.
Sep 09, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this early Suzanne Enoch regency romance, though it seemed a bit tame (aka, no sex) and lightweight compared to her more recent ones. Kate is taken under the wing of her godparents after her ruthless uncle, now her guardian, forces her to leave her family estate, which she owns by right. He's trying to cheat her out of it so he can sell it keep the money for himself. While in London, her godparents launch her onto society and she meets Nicholas, the Duke of Sommesby who finds her refre ...more
Sep 08, 2015 Tracytastic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black Knights are much more fun

It's always the woundEd Enoch's characters never fail to delight and these two more so than any others. Who can refuse a man who loves Mozart and Shakespeare and let's you drive his phaeton?
Nov 29, 2014 Maggie rated it it was ok
Not a bad short read but nowhere near as good as Enoch's later works. I think it was meant to be a short and sweet love story. I bet if she wrote it now it would be so much better.
Mar 24, 2016 Agaughan68 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this. It was a quick read. He was supposedly so wicked and yet he really was just a hothead.
Feb 19, 2012 L.W. rated it really liked it
I hadn't read a historical romance in awhile and I always love Suzanne Enoch's work, so I thought I'd give this a try and I wasn't disappointed.

Strong women are always a must in the books I like the most and this had a very formidable, willful, yet likable heroine. Add the resident bad boy, the Black Duke and of course, they head on a collision course.

This was just light enough to read in one sitting. It had enough to keep my interest and the story wasn't so far fetched. Of course it was fluff w
Oct 20, 2015 Susanna rated it liked it
Ms Enoch's earlier work. The touch that makes her later books so enjoyable was there, but the plot was all over the place.
Apr 28, 2014 Becca rated it really liked it
Fun, light regency romance. No sex scene, just delightful, witty characters with a lovable romance
Jan 16, 2016 Brigitte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was awesome! The reference to The taming of the Shew were well done! A must read!
Jul 05, 2012 Bukcrz rated it liked it
Shelves: own-can-loan
Way better than most regency books I picked up lately. The heroine, for once, stayed true to her character and did not demean herself just to make the hero happy.
I realized the picture of the heroine's independence is very un-regency so my rating does not have any bearing on the historical truth of the book. Of course it helped that I love the hero so this is a book I don't mind recommending for well rounded characters and great pacing as a story.
Overall, a regency book that did not made me rol
Feb 23, 2015 Yui rated it liked it
engrossing plot but poor writting
Jan 27, 2012 Huong rated it it was ok
The book was flowing decently for me until Kate decided to take a pistol and planned to kill Nicholas. Like, seriously? Couldn't even ask him about it, or maybe confer with her godparents? And then running off to rescue him at the, again...couldn't think to share her brilliant tactics and ideas before going off alone to try and thwart off kidnappers. This book falls into my category of "I can't stand irrational insipid female heroines."
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
I usually really enjoy Suzanne Enoch's romances. So, I was very happy to get this as a bargain Kindle read. It was a nice quick read. (I finished it in about 3 hours.) However, it was not her best work.

The story was well done and had some nicely sketched out characters. However, they needed to be a little more fleshed out and needed a lot more chemistry.

I will still read Suzanne Enoch. Just hope this was an aberration.
Jan 04, 2012 Annie rated it did not like it
Shelves: from-cm
I agree with the reviewer who said at least I didn't pay for it. Terribly researched and so poorly set in long ago England, that it made me dislike the whole thing. Likely I wouldn't have minded if it was set in modern times, but then I wouldn't have bothered with it. Disappointing effort from an author I generally like. Get a researcher, now that you're well known. I can recommend one, if you need a lead.
Interesting story, good chemistry, enjoyed characterization
Dec 28, 2011 Tahyun rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Was a really nice, albeit, quick read. I wish there had been an epilogue, but I can appreciate endings that leave some thinking up to the reader. At times I felt that I didn't understand the heroine's actions that well, or maybe I thought she over-reacted, but it wasn't a constant, nagging problem, so I can't say it affected my overall enjoyment of the story.
Maggie Hesseling
Sep 26, 2016 Maggie Hesseling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Katherine's possessions are going to be bought out from under her. That is unless Nicholas can stop it. A great romance ensues, where Nicholas has to tiptoe around Katherine in hopes that she won't find out (though, why he doesn't tell her is beyond me). Fun and flighty, this novel was exactly what I was looking for.
Dec 29, 2013 Cherry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as I expected from Suzanne Enoch. Maybe due to editing, as a number of errors which ruins the enjoyment.

Plus the heroine suddenly goes ballistic at the most inconsequential comments, when the hero has gone out his way for her and her godparents.
Jan 16, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Loved this short novel by Enoch. LOVED Nicholas - although he did turn from being the "black duke" to being more proper pretty quickly, but it was a short book, and I didn't mind it that much. I love books where the hero wants to be a better man for the heroine, and this is the epitome of that storyline.
Feb 07, 2013 Louise rated it it was ok
It was short and free on my Nook. That's my excuse for reading it. For that genre of literature I give it a 5 on my 10 scale. (If you are really contemplating picking it up to read----contact me so I can recommend another.)
This one was hilarious! It was filled with dark humor and light banters and sarcasm and strangely guns and vases! And roses. And taming of the Shrew. Definitely something I would recommend as a light read!
  • Lessons in Seduction (Once Upon An Accident, #2)
  • Shattered Dreams
  • Beauty and the Duke (Mystical Bliss, #1)
  • The Panther and the Pearl
  • To Dare the Duke of Dangerfield (Wicked Wagers, #1)
  • The Cornish Heiress
  • A Scandalous Charade (Scandalous, #2)
  • Fallen
  • I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke, #0.5)
  • Anne Stuart's Out-of-Print Gems
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • Promise Me Heaven (Royal Agents #1)
  • Once Upon a Christmas (Nobody, #2)
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • The Taming of the Rake (Blackthorn Brothers, #1)
  • The Devil's Lady (de Laci, #1)
  • The Letter (Reformed Rakes, #1)
  • A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)
Suzanne was born in Southern California sometime in the latter half of the 20th century. In the way that some people are born knowing they want to be astronauts or cellists, Suzanne always knew she wanted to be a writer. Early dreams of becoming a zoologist and writing true stories about her adventures in Africa were crushed, however, after she viewed a television special about the world’s most po ...more
More about Suzanne Enoch...