The Black Duke's Prize

The Black Duke's Prize

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  463 ratings  ·  35 reviews
***Also includes an excerpt from TAMING AN IMPOSSIBLE ROGUE, Suzanne Enoch's newest title***

Sent to London by her untrustworthy uncle, the beautiful and feisty Katherine Ralston arrives for the Season in utter despair. Not only is she caught up in the mad whirl of ballgowns and galas, she must also make certain that her disreputable uncle doesn’t sell her family estate in...more
Published May 28th 1995 by Avon Books (Mm) (first published May 1995)

Lord Rose
The characters' actions seemed rather unnatural at times, as if they acted a certain way because the author felt they should for the sake of the story, but didn't feel organic to the situation/character. They overreacted to situations that barely seemed to warrant mild irritation, then responded to the situations in ways that made very little sense.

The last scene was possibly one of the most idiotic things I have ever read. (view spoiler)...more
Barbara Gordon
January
The Black Duke is a man with a temper who strikes fear in everyone who knows him. He does what he wants and pity the fool who gets in his way. In spite of his bad humor, he does have a close circle of friends who seem to tolerate him. A group of friends who take under their wing one Katherine Ralston, a young lady of considerable strong will herself — and the only one, it seems, who can put the Black Duke in his place and live to tell about it.

Katherine is the heiress to her deceased parents’ es...more
Melody May
Sunday, the eve before we got our stuff and the same day I started reading The Black Duke's Prize. I couldn't put it down, but I had to get some sleep the movers were coming the next day to deliver our stuff. Torn between sleep and a book. Well, sleep won. We were super busy that I wasn't able to get back to the book until late at night. Last night I was able to finish the book.

Here's what its about: We have Miss Katherine Ralston who goes to live with her Godparents while her uncle destroys her...more
Julie
I enjoyed this early Suzanne Enoch regency romance, though it seemed a bit tame (aka, no sex) and lightweight compared to her more recent ones. Kate is taken under the wing of her godparents after her ruthless uncle, now her guardian, forces her to leave her family estate, which she owns by right. He's trying to cheat her out of it so he can sell it keep the money for himself. While in London, her godparents launch her onto society and she meets Nicholas, the Duke of Sommesby who finds her refre...more
Maggi Hesseling
Katherine's possessions are going to be bought out from under her. That is unless Nicholas can stop it. A great romance ensues, where Nicholas has to tiptoe around Katherine in hopes that she won't find out (though, why he doesn't tell her is beyond me). Fun and flighty, this novel was exactly what I was looking for.
L.W.
I hadn't read a historical romance in awhile and I always love Suzanne Enoch's work, so I thought I'd give this a try and I wasn't disappointed.

Strong women are always a must in the books I like the most and this had a very formidable, willful, yet likable heroine. Add the resident bad boy, the Black Duke and of course, they head on a collision course.

This was just light enough to read in one sitting. It had enough to keep my interest and the story wasn't so far fetched. Of course it was fluff w...more
Becca
Fun, light regency romance. No sex scene, just delightful, witty characters with a lovable romance
Bukcrz
Way better than most regency books I picked up lately. The heroine, for once, stayed true to her character and did not demean herself just to make the hero happy.
I realized the picture of the heroine's independence is very un-regency so my rating does not have any bearing on the historical truth of the book. Of course it helped that I love the hero so this is a book I don't mind recommending for well rounded characters and great pacing as a story.
Overall, a regency book that did not made me rol...more
Huong
The book was flowing decently for me until Kate decided to take a pistol and planned to kill Nicholas. Like, seriously? Couldn't even ask him about it, or maybe confer with her godparents? And then running off to rescue him at the end...um, again...couldn't think to share her brilliant tactics and ideas before going off alone to try and thwart off kidnappers. This book falls into my category of "I can't stand irrational insipid female heroines."
Kirsten
I usually really enjoy Suzanne Enoch's romances. So, I was very happy to get this as a bargain Kindle read. It was a nice quick read. (I finished it in about 3 hours.) However, it was not her best work.

The story was well done and had some nicely sketched out characters. However, they needed to be a little more fleshed out and needed a lot more chemistry.

I will still read Suzanne Enoch. Just hope this was an aberration.
Annie
I agree with the reviewer who said at least I didn't pay for it. Terribly researched and so poorly set in long ago England, that it made me dislike the whole thing. Likely I wouldn't have minded if it was set in modern times, but then I wouldn't have bothered with it. Disappointing effort from an author I generally like. Get a researcher, now that you're well known. I can recommend one, if you need a lead.
Tahyun
Was a really nice, albeit, quick read. I wish there had been an epilogue, but I can appreciate endings that leave some thinking up to the reader. At times I felt that I didn't understand the heroine's actions that well, or maybe I thought she over-reacted, but it wasn't a constant, nagging problem, so I can't say it affected my overall enjoyment of the story.
Cherry
Not as good as I expected from Suzanne Enoch. Maybe due to editing, as a number of errors which ruins the enjoyment.

Plus the heroine suddenly goes ballistic at the most inconsequential comments, when the hero has gone out his way for her and her godparents.
Weird!
Amanda
Loved this short novel by Enoch. LOVED Nicholas - although he did turn from being the "black duke" to being more proper pretty quickly, but it was a short book, and I didn't mind it that much. I love books where the hero wants to be a better man for the heroine, and this is the epitome of that storyline.
Louise
It was short and free on my Nook. That's my excuse for reading it. For that genre of literature I give it a 5 on my 10 scale. (If you are really contemplating picking it up to read----contact me so I can recommend another.)
Sababa
This one was hilarious! It was filled with dark humor and light banters and sarcasm and strangely guns and vases! And roses. And taming of the Shrew. Definitely something I would recommend as a light read!
Victoria Blacke
Usually I LOVE Enoch but this one seemed to miss the mark. A shooting, two kidnappings and more than one villain would be a bit much for a full length novel let alone a short one!
Amber
Nice romance story. I enjoyed the characters. A dash of drama, not so crazy as to be unbelievable. Sexual tension kept at PG-13 rating which made for pleasant reading.
Heidi
This is a typical nice story about two people trying to fit in. It isn't erotica, but it is romantic in the sense that there are lovey undercurrents.
Stacy
Entertaining enough romp in almost Victorian age London. It's an easy read and you get exactly what you expect from romances like this novel.
Arianne
This was a fun romance to read. I got it on the kindle for $.99 one day and it was worth every penny. This was a clean romance noval.
Annette Meier
You could tell it was written early on in her career - not quite a scintillating as her later works. Very good, though.
JW Ellis*
I really enjoyed this book, it had the twists, the turns, the villians, the redeemable bad boy, the sassy good girl.

Stacy
I wonder if Barnes and Noble will ever actually put a good book on Free Fridays. At least I didn't pay for it.
Nikki
Mildly entertaining, sort of like a formulaic rom-com. Good, not great. A quick and easy read.
Ana
It was ok. Not as much fun as the author's other books. But appropriate for a lazy afternoon :)
Katie
Historical romance that doesn't have as much sex in it as others in the genre.
Jen
Feb 12, 2012 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: enoch
Kate and Nicholas

Meh. Not even close to as good as my last Enoch book.
Barbara
Good little story although you can tell it is one of her early ones.
  • Miss Lacey's Last Fling
  • A Scandalous Charade (Scandalous, #2)
  • To Dare the Duke of Dangerfield (Wicked Wagers, #1)
  • I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke #0.5)
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • Three Schemes and a Scandal (The Writing Girls, #3.5)
  • Lessons in Seduction (Once Upon An Accident, #2)
  • The Ugly Duckling Debutante (The House of Renwick, #1)
  • Silent Revenge
  • Conor's Way
  • Whirlwind Wedding (Whirlwind #1)
  • Her Reluctant Groom (The Grooms, #2)
  • The Defiant Governess
  • Married By Midnight (Pembroke Palace, #4)
  • The First Snowdrop (Frazer, #1)
  • After Dark with a Scoundrel (Lords of Vice, #3)
  • All I Want For Christmas is a Duke
Suzanne was born in Southern California sometime in the latter half of the 20th century. In the way that some people are born knowing they want to be astronauts or cellists, Suzanne always knew she wanted to be a writer. Early dreams of becoming a zoologist and writing true stories about her adventures in Africa were crushed, however, after she viewed a television special about the world’s most po...more
More about Suzanne Enoch...
London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2) The Rake (Lessons in Love, #1) England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3) The Care and Taming of a Rogue (Adventurers’ Club, #1) Sin and Sensibility (Griffin Family, #1)