Start by marking “The Devil's Own” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Own

The Devil's Own (Astray & Devil #2)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,789 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Kerry Bishop was desperate. She needed to find someone--anyone--who could help her lead her young charges throught the dangerous Montenegro jungles. Linc O'Neal had seemed the perfect candidate. Only, he wanted no part of the deal.
Taking care of his own risky business was proving trouble enough. He loathed the idea of escorting nine orphans a prim do-gooder on their hazard
Published October 1st 1994 by Mira Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Own

MBR
4 Stars Romantic Suspense

Wow!!!
That was exactly what I was looking for when I chose to re-read this oldie goody from Sandra Brown wrote under her pseudonym Erin St. Claire. Sandra Brown’s earlier books deliver in spades on what I look for when I read romances. She gives me exactly what I need with her larger than life, tortured and hot as sin heroes and delivers on all fronts with the right kind of heroine to bring down the hero to his knees. I just love her older books and get my fix now and
Saly
The Devil's Own started out really well, set in Montenegro where Kerry Bishop walks into a bar having stolen a truck, to find the most down on luck guy and then pay him to help her, she finds one drinking away merrily and his bags convince her he is a mercenary, so despite his refusal, she makes use of her dress and in the role of a prostitute convinces him to come with her. Then she takes away his weapons so that he doesn't attack her once he is awake.

Linc O’Neal gets up to find that he has mis
Andreea Ilie
Jul 19, 2016 Andreea Ilie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: citite-in-2016
Pentru a reuși să-și ducă misiunea la bun sfârșit, Kerry Bishop are nevoie de cineva destul de în măsură ca să o ajute să traverseze jungla din Montenegro în siguranță, până la avionul ce va aștepta după aceasta. Dar exista o problemă! Nu doar ea trebuia să ajungă de cealaltă parte, ci împreună cu cei nouă orfani cărora le era profesoară.

Astfel că, presată de timp și disperată ca totul să se termine cu bine și mai repede, tânăra se dă drept o prostituată și se încumetă să intre într-o tavernă pl
Jane Davis
Jul 29, 2010 Jane Davis rated it really liked it
There is unrest in a Latin American country. She has nine children she wants to get to freedom and needs a mercenary to protect them. She spots one in a cantina. He is sitting at the bar, dirty, disreputable and drunk {Tell me if you've heard this before}, his heavy bags of equipment at his feet. She sidles up to him, "A drink, senor?" Eventually she gets him in a truck and off they go.

Once he sobers, she finds he is not a mercenary but the equally surly, profane award-winning photojournalist Li
Louise Cable
Dec 02, 2011 Louise Cable rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
My first book I have won for the chance to read and review and I was very pleasantly surprised.

It only took a few pages before I became absorbed in the story and I really enjoyed reading this.

A young lady risks her life to save 9 children from almost certain death mainly to proove a point to society that she is nothing like her corrupt father. She tricks a man she thinks is a mercenery into helping her but he isn't what he appears to be.

A lot of drama and heated scenes between them and the situa
Dita L.
Apr 06, 2016 Dita L. rated it it was amazing
I wasnt expecting this book to be so good.
I have to admit that I was expecting silly story with awkward sexual scenes with no plot.
But it was excelent written heart warming passionate story about steadiness, self-denial and real love. First book where I was enjoying even the sexual scenes, there were no awkward moments.
Really great relaxation choice.
Kaisa
My first read from Sandra Brown, and while this wasn't exactly great, it wasn't too shabby. There were some good moments, and then there were loads of moments that made me grin, mostly because they were unintentionally funny.

I picked up this one mainly because the hero's occupation as photojournalist. I've always liked characters who are either photographers or photojournalists or even just journalists. Linc definitely fits the bill! While the entire story is a bit aged, it's still entertaining
Sandy (WI girl at heart)
Finished Sandra Brown's book THE DEVIL'S OWN. New author for me and really not my "cup of tea".

Sloppy writing and too predictable from start to finish.

Would I recommend it to others: no Would I read it again: no.
Natalija
May 08, 2012 Natalija rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This is the second book in Ms Brown's "Hellraisers" series & it's more suspensful than the first book. All in all I enjoyed it & the book kept my attention till the last page. The reason behind 3 star rating is angry sex. I really dislike when hero decides to punish heroine for something she did or didn't do or tell and acts like a jerk. Anyway, give this book a try!
Mandy
Dec 19, 2011 Mandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was way too cliche, not to mention cheesy. Sandra Brown's books always seem to have the same theme: rugged, handsome, bad boy falls in love with the typical damsel in distress. The whole premise is getting pretty tired. I was sorely disappointed in this book, because I have enjoyed many of her other books. This one was just a little too unrealistic.
Jennifer Brown
Apr 15, 2014 Jennifer Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have I ever mentioned how much I love Sandra Brown's books?? Even her older romances are wonderful. I liked the adventure in the jungle and the saving of the kids in this one. I'm curious though if Cage and Jenny have a story out there somewhere. The only problem with older books is that they are hard to find now.
Judy
Aug 17, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a great book of romantic suspense. Kerry Bishop coerces Linc O'Neal, a famous photographer, into helping her rescue some orphans from a Central American country where a revolution is occuring. Lots of action occurs during the course of the story as they make their way through the jungle to freedom.
Robert Scott
A typical romance novel that has the male & female protagonists first at each others throats & then coveting each others bodies. And of course a happy ending where everyone comes out alright and they get laid. Kerry Bishop acts as a prostitute in a bar in war torn Montenegro to entice a drunken man she believes to be a mercenary away in a stolen Army pickup. She wants him to accompany her and assist her to get 9 orphans to the border to catch a rescue plane. However he is really a photo ...more
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Renee Raudman 5 star performance but this 1980s romance barely worked for me. I have such a problem with lies and the heroine lied most of the way through. Overly demanding hero turned to pussy cat in the end - way too 80s for me.
Scott Benoit
Aug 18, 2015 Scott Benoit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
well the story itself was awesome. little too heavy on the romance part for me. the whole rescuing the kids and adopting out was totally cool. my kind of reading
Mara
Tonya Warner
Kerry Bishop was looking for a mercenary soldier, someone who was disreputable and fearless, who could help her rescue nine orphans from a war-torn country. That type of man would be the only kind of person able to help her accomplish her mission. So disguised as a hooker, she entered the bar.

Linc O'Neal, world renowned photojournalist, sat at the bar celebrating the fact that he would be leaving this god-forsaken country where he had just completed his assignment. He was tired, dirty and looke
Naomi
Dec 29, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this Novel in a Goodreads giveaway from the author Sandra Brown & I didn't really know what to expect as i had never read one of her books before. I do not regret reading it in the slightest!! It was a tad slow to begin with (hence the 4 star rating) but then it was action-packed. It has everything a romance addict could ever want in a book, Love,sex,action,sexy guy,strong leading lady & even stronger emotions.
The story is about a woman on the mission of getting nine orphaned chil
Kaye Dennan
Mar 24, 2014 Kaye Dennan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
I felt that some of the descriptions went on a bit too long, although the essence of the book was very enjoyable, fast moving and a great story line.
Natalie Mullan
May 12, 2016 Natalie Mullan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only thrilling part of this thriller was finishing it! A few hours of my life I'll never get back.
Sharon Peterson
Jul 25, 2016 Sharon Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a pretty easy to read book; I had not read the book prior to this story, but that did not make any difference.
Annie
Jun 07, 2014 Annie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
woeful... never finished.... so cliched.... one of the few Sandra Browns that I haven't liked.
Eli Yanti
lupa-lupa ingat d pernah bc bk ini atau gak, tp 60% yakin sdh bc si :p
Jeanne
May 19, 2015 Jeanne rated it liked it
An easy read predicable romance story. A good diversion from the every day dole drums.
Mary
Oct 12, 2015 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
woman chose disreputable man in bar to save 9 children
Diana
Pretty good blast from the past consistent with what was popular in category romance in 1987. I enjoyed dashing photojournalist Linc and feisty (in a 1987 kind of way) do-gooder Kerry as they rescued a band of orphans from a war zone. The fun died down in the second half after they're safe in America and their adventure is over. As is typical in popular category romance from 1987, Linc does something really, really mean and then swears he'll never hurt her again. High marks for the grovel.

Very n
Sandra
Oct 07, 2014 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, mystery
Eye rolling ensued.
Diana Kramer
Feb 17, 2014 Diana Kramer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
There were parts of it I liked, but there were definite parts I didn't care for...
Scwong0
Jul 22, 2015 Scwong0 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
4.0*
  • River of Eden
  • Don't Look Back
  • Now You See Him...
  • Undercover Lovers
  • Gabriel Hawk's Lady (The Protectors, #9)
  • The Best Man
  • Sweet Revenge (New Orleans Trilogy, #2)
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • The Taming of Mei Lin (Tang Dynasty, #.5)
  • Her Own Best Enemy
  • Where There Is Evil
  • Cullen's Bride
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)
  • Hot Text
  • Viper's Kiss (McCormack Security Agency, #1)
  • Indecent Deception
  • Going the Distance

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), & TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over
More about Sandra Brown...

Astray & Devil (2 books)
  • Led Astray (Hellraisers, #1)