Start by marking “The Devil's Own” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Own

The Devil's Own (Astray & Devil #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,592 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Kerry Bishop was desperate. She needed to find someone--anyone--who could help her lead her young charges throught the dangerous Montenegro jungles. Linc O'Neal had seemed the perfect candidate. Only, he wanted no part of the deal.
Taking care of his own risky business was proving trouble enough. He loathed the idea of escorting nine orphans a prim do-gooder on their hazard
Mass Market Paperback, 248 pages
Published October 12th 1994 by Mira Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Own

Maldivianbookreviewer
4 Stars Romantic Suspense

Wow!!!
That was exactly what I was looking for when I chose to re-read this oldie goody from Sandra Brown wrote under her pseudonym Erin St. Claire. Sandra Brown’s earlier books deliver in spades on what I look for when I read romances. She gives me exactly what I need with her larger than life, tortured and hot as sin heroes and delivers on all fronts with the right kind of heroine to bring down the hero to his knees. I just love her older books and get my fix now and
Saly
The Devil's Own started out really well, set in Montenegro where Kerry Bishop walks into a bar having stolen a truck, to find the most down on luck guy and then pay him to help her, she finds one drinking away merrily and his bags convince her he is a mercenary, so despite his refusal, she makes use of her dress and in the role of a prostitute convinces him to come with her. Then she takes away his weapons so that he doesn't attack her once he is awake.

Linc O’Neal gets up to find that he has mis
Jane Davis
There is unrest in a Latin American country. She has nine children she wants to get to freedom and needs a mercenary to protect them. She spots one in a cantina. He is sitting at the bar, dirty, disreputable and drunk {Tell me if you've heard this before}, his heavy bags of equipment at his feet. She sidles up to him, "A drink, senor?" Eventually she gets him in a truck and off they go.

Once he sobers, she finds he is not a mercenary but the equally surly, profane award-winning photojournalist Li
Louise Cable
My first book I have won for the chance to read and review and I was very pleasantly surprised.

It only took a few pages before I became absorbed in the story and I really enjoyed reading this.

A young lady risks her life to save 9 children from almost certain death mainly to proove a point to society that she is nothing like her corrupt father. She tricks a man she thinks is a mercenery into helping her but he isn't what he appears to be.

A lot of drama and heated scenes between them and the situa
Robert Scott
A typical romance novel that has the male & female protagonists first at each others throats & then coveting each others bodies. And of course a happy ending where everyone comes out alright and they get laid. Kerry Bishop acts as a prostitute in a bar in war torn Montenegro to entice a drunken man she believes to be a mercenary away in a stolen Army pickup. She wants him to accompany her and assist her to get 9 orphans to the border to catch a rescue plane. However he is really a photo ...more
Sandy (WI girl at heart)
Finished Sandra Brown's book THE DEVIL'S OWN. New author for me and really not my "cup of tea".

Sloppy writing and too predictable from start to finish.

Would I recommend it to others: no Would I read it again: no.
Natālija
This is the second book in Ms Brown's "Hellraisers" series & it's more suspensful than the first book. All in all I enjoyed it & the book kept my attention till the last page. The reason behind 3 star rating is angry sex. I really dislike when hero decides to punish heroine for something she did or didn't do or tell and acts like a jerk. Anyway, give this book a try!
Mandy
This book was way too cliche, not to mention cheesy. Sandra Brown's books always seem to have the same theme: rugged, handsome, bad boy falls in love with the typical damsel in distress. The whole premise is getting pretty tired. I was sorely disappointed in this book, because I have enjoyed many of her other books. This one was just a little too unrealistic.
Jennifer Brown
Have I ever mentioned how much I love Sandra Brown's books?? Even her older romances are wonderful. I liked the adventure in the jungle and the saving of the kids in this one. I'm curious though if Cage and Jenny have a story out there somewhere. The only problem with older books is that they are hard to find now.
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Renee Raudman 5 star performance but this 1980s romance barely worked for me. I have such a problem with lies and the heroine lied most of the way through. Overly demanding hero turned to pussy cat in the end - way too 80s for me.
Mara
Tonya Warner
Kerry Bishop was looking for a mercenary soldier, someone who was disreputable and fearless, who could help her rescue nine orphans from a war-torn country. That type of man would be the only kind of person able to help her accomplish her mission. So disguised as a hooker, she entered the bar.

Linc O'Neal, world renowned photojournalist, sat at the bar celebrating the fact that he would be leaving this god-forsaken country where he had just completed his assignment. He was tired, dirty and looke
Naomi
I won this Novel in a Goodreads giveaway from the author Sandra Brown & I didn't really know what to expect as i had never read one of her books before. I do not regret reading it in the slightest!! It was a tad slow to begin with (hence the 4 star rating) but then it was action-packed. It has everything a romance addict could ever want in a book, Love,sex,action,sexy guy,strong leading lady & even stronger emotions.
The story is about a woman on the mission of getting nine orphaned chil
Kaye Dennan
I felt that some of the descriptions went on a bit too long, although the essence of the book was very enjoyable, fast moving and a great story line.
Annie
woeful... never finished.... so cliched.... one of the few Sandra Browns that I haven't liked.
Eli Yanti
lupa-lupa ingat d pernah bc bk ini atau gak, tp 60% yakin sdh bc si :p
Jeanne
An easy read predicable romance story. A good diversion from the every day dole drums.
Aswinda Heryani
Well, I just read it 2 days ago, hahha, I think it's GREAT! Kerry Bishop is kinda a 28 years old girl who had a tragic life, her daddy was a corrupter. And it makes Montenegro became crisis. She paid the owing by taught 9 orphanages. Then there is war between Government and Woman, and made Kerry needed someone helps. Drunk and tired made Lincoln O'neal, a pulitzer winner being the only one person who could helped her. She didn't know that Linc was a photographer, she thought he was a mercenary. ...more
Diana
Pretty good blast from the past consistent with what was popular in category romance in 1987. I enjoyed dashing photojournalist Linc and feisty (in a 1987 kind of way) do-gooder Kerry as they rescued a band of orphans from a war zone. The fun died down in the second half after they're safe in America and their adventure is over. As is typical in popular category romance from 1987, Linc does something really, really mean and then swears he'll never hurt her again. High marks for the grovel.

Very n
Sandra
Eye rolling ensued.
Diana Kramer
There were parts of it I liked, but there were definite parts I didn't care for...
Kathy
This is the first book by Sandra Brown that I've tried. It was a huge disappointment. Kerry acts ridiculous and very unbelievable. I actually wanted Linc to just leave her when she destroyed all his film. Then she tells him she's a nun to keep him from seducing her? Pleeeeze...I just wanted to shove her off a bridge and shout "Run, Linc, Run!" ;-)

I couldn't even finish this book. Maybe I need to try one of SB's more recent books. Considering her popularity, surely all her books aren't this bad.
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Untuk menyelamatkan anak-anak panti asuhan dari negara montenegro yangs sedang dilanda perang, Kerry memberanikan diri untuk meminta tolong pada Linc O'neal.
Meskipun kesan awalnya Linc sangat tidak kompeten, namun pilihan Kerry ternyata tidak salah. Dengan bantuan Linc akhirnya Kerry berhasil membawa anak2 itu keluar dari Montenegro. Dan Kerry juga harus masuk dalam petualangan cinta bersama Linc.

Di beberapa bagian akhir buku ini, muncul tokoh Jenny dan Cag Hendren dari buku Pelabuhan Hati.
Diana
This book made me feel dirty...
Books reader
Yona
I really enjoyed this book although i had to study history not to read for pleasure but it was worthed i always can count to Sandra Brown for a nice read which will make me smile. I likes the end but i would prefer if she was (view spoiler)
Judy
This was a great book of romantic suspense. Kerry Bishop coerces Linc O'Neal, a famous photographer, into helping her rescue some orphans from a Central American country where a revolution is occuring. Lots of action occurs during the course of the story as they make their way through the jungle to freedom.
Mike Williams
Very predictable throughout the entire book. I've read many of Sandra Browns books and have looked forward to each one. I am happy this was not my first because if it were it would
have been my last. Every writer is entitled to a weak effort and in my opinion this was
Ms. Browns !
  • River of Eden
  • Don't Look Back
  • Gabriel Hawk's Lady (The Protectors, #9)
  • Now You See Him...
  • Undercover Lovers
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • The Best Man
  • Indecent Deception (Harlequin Presents, #1740)
  • The Taming of Mei Lin (Tang Dynasty, #.5)
  • Cullen's Bride
  • Where There Is Evil
  • Witness Seduction
  • Her Own Best Enemy
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Don't Call Her Angel
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Deadly is the Kiss (Primal Instinct World, #1)

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010), SMASH CUT (2009), & SMOKE SCREEN (2008).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since t
More about Sandra Brown...

Astray & Devil (2 books)
  • Led Astray (Hellraisers, #1)
Lethal The Alibi Mean Streak Ricochet Chill Factor