Start by marking “Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst” as Want to Read:
Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst

Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst (Anastasia Krupnik #4)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,433 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Anastasia's seventh-grade science project becomes almost more than she can handle, but brother Sam, age three, and a bust of Freud nobly aid her.
Published April 30th 1984 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst

Jessica
Nov 15, 2007 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: precocious children who desire analysis
Okay, this cover is horrible but THESE ARE THE BEST BOOKS EVER.

Anastasia is hilarious. These books are great. Anastasia's parents are these messy, absent-minded, vaguely bohemian intellectual types, and everything that happens in these books is completely hysterical. This is the one in which Anastasia becomes obsessed with Sigmund Freud, and irritates the hell out of her wonderful family. I can relate to these situations! Also good is the one where Anastasia goes to modeling school. Actually, th
Jeremy
I needed a fast, good read to help me catch back up in my year's reading goals, and this one did it. It was nice to revisit some of the stories I loved when I was younger and had fewer concerns of the world. Lois Lowry wrote these books in such a way that they are timeless to me - I dont' get tired of Nikky Coletti's teeth-marks, and the gerbils gerbils gerbils everywhere, and Anastasia talking to a bust of Freud. Ms. Lowry made a very nice home with the Krupniks and I love to visit it, yes I do ...more
Robert
Some good gags but this one seemed a bit more hastily written and lacking in some of the charm found in other titles featuring these characters.

I don't like that the new cover imposes upon the mind's eye with an artless photograph of a specific girl, especially some idealized air-brushed model. This robs reading of the individuality of exercising one's own creative visualization, something we should be working to preserve and pass on to children in an era saturated with multi-media entertainment
Medeia Sharif
Anastasia believes no one understands her. Both her friends and parents mention growing pains and the stages of adolescence. To make herself feel better, Anastasia buys a statue of Sigmund Freud at a garage sale and talks to him. He's her analyst.

Anastasia gets involved with gerbils. She's keeping two in a cage for her science project and something unexpected and funny happens with them. Also, her brother is being bullied and the bully and her mother are invited over. That's a hilarious scene.

Th
Jin
The book Anastasia, Ask your Analyst (Anastasia) by Lois Lowry was about Anastasia wanted her parents and her brother to be normal. She thinks she is the only normal one in her family and hse was embrassed by her family. so she needed to see an analyst. Thne she was so into Sigmund Freud and her family was not happy about it.

This book makes me laugh because of the way that Anastasia is describing her brother. Reading this book reminded me how funny my brother can be sometimes. But I disagree wi
Camille
Growing up, these were my favorite books. Anastasia was my hero, even though my friends would make fun of me because the drawing on the cover looked more like an ape than a girl. But this was the first Anastasia adventure I read, and I must say that to this day I have only the fondest memories of reading this book. Anastasia seemed to mature and cool, from having her bedroom in a tower to having a bust of a psychologist in her room that she told all her problems to. It only occurs to me now that ...more
Megan
Anastasia is now 13 and needs psychological help from the man himself, Sigmund Freud. Sadly he is dead, so a plaster bust of him and a collections of his writings will have to suffice. Except it doesn't really help as being 13 can't really be cured.
How does a book like this get greenlit? I love it so much and it gives me so much hope for some strange reason.
Granted no one really reads these anymore, but at one time Anastasia was an ALA Notable book. But it was the 70's and opinions about what m
Emily
Anastasia acquires a couple of gerbils for her science project which soon turn into several more gerbils. About this same time, she realizes she is entering Stage One of adolescence: in which one's parents become horribly embarrassing. She purchases a bust of Freud at a garage sale, and he helps her through this awkward time.
Amazingly realistic as well as enormously funny, Anastasia continues to be an entertaining read, even for an adult.
Jeanne
When i described the character, Anastasia, to my 13-year old, she couldn't believe her. She thought i was making it up, to match her! That was one of the reasons i picked this book, to eventually give to my daughter to read, except it is below her reading level. (RL 4-6 grade, with 6th grade a stretch.) Humorous and delightful, although it may be considered insensitive in a few areas, as published in 1984.
george
Anastasia is back, this time with psychiatric problems. She is completely and utterly embarassed by her family. She has a big problem with gerbils. Her brother, Sam, is being beat up at school. And her hormones are running wild--and her parents refuse to let her see a psychiatrist!!!

Anastasia's adventures are always entertaining. I didn't find this one to be as funny as previous books, but it was still fun.
Michelle
Once again, the Anastasia cover features our girl wearing great shoes, hiking boots this time.

Anastasia is growing up, already in Stage One of Adolescence, dealing with "weird" parents and needing a psychiatrist. Instead she ends up with a bust of Freud (had to glue on the broken nose) and breeding gerbils. The ending of this book is cute and perfect and makes me love the Krupnik family even more.
Liz
This was a favorite as a kid, long before I knew what an analyst really was (let alone had any thoughts of becoming a psychologist myself!). I still remember how she used her multicolored felt-tip pens to identify all the gerbil babies, and put the last colored spot on top of the head of her bust of Sigmund Freud. ;)
HeavyReader
In this installment of the Anastasia series, Anastasia decides that her family is just too embarrassing! Then her mom tells her it's a normal way for a thirteen year old girl to feel. So Anastasia carries on cheerfully being embarrassed by her family until all is well at the end.

I like these books!
Ling Juan
This book talks about Anastasia figuring out that she has a problem just like her family members. she went and talked to one of the most famous analyst. Her parents found out and felt happy for her. This book was funny and enjoying because of the way Anastasia acts all the time.
Laila
Gerbils running loose in the house, Anastasia telling her problems to a bust of Sigmund Freud she bought at a yard sale... these Anastasia books were among my favorite books as a kid, and re-reading them is a real treat. Although now I identify with Mrs. Krupnik!
Kristy
As a precocious 5th grader, I connected to Anastasia because I felt like I was living in a comedy where my parents were absent-mindedly ignoring me and I thought I was smarter than everyone else. I recommend it for girls of the same ilk.
Emely
I think this book is great because things happen to this 13-year old girl that she doesn't even know about! Going through changes and not having a normal family sucks!I really love it!!!!!!
Sandy
This is my favorite book so far. I loved everything about it and I really really love Ms. Lowry's writing. I love the relationship of Anastasia with her parents but I also love Sam.
Sarah Sullivan
Because of the gerbils being so gross, this one only gets four stars. But the hilarity of Big Fat Ugly Nicky Coletti kind of makes up for it
Fatima
One of my favorites from my childhood. A girl picks up a statue of Freud at a garage sale and that becomes her on-call therapist. Hilarious.
Fiah
My childhood's book~

I liked it a lot but I don't really much remember how the story goes but I truly like the character: Anastasia.
Miriam
I loved this when I was little, despite the fact that I didn't know what an analyst was. It still worked for me though.
Rachel Fisher
Loved this too... But like I said I am biased. Anastasia's neurotic northeastern approach hits close to home
Corinne  Lundstrum
i loved the aanastasia series when i was younger. this one was one of my favorites.
Gretchen Gasper-wallett
A nostalgia read of a book I lived when I was nine. still pretty fun.
Hannah  Messler
Anastasia you are a real poop in this one, you need to cool it.
Noora
Hauska kirja, yksi sarjan hauskimpia kirjoja.
Jordan
Mar 27, 2008 Jordan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preteens
Recommended to Jordan by: my librarian
i really enjoyed this book luv j.j.
Kate
The one with the gerbils and Freud.
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • Journey to an 800 Number
  • The Long Secret (Harriet the Spy #2)
  • The Pinballs
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • Remember Me to Harold Square
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Beginners (The Gymnasts, #1)
  • Claudia and the Middle School Mystery (The Baby-Sitters Club, #40)
  • The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon (I Mean Noel)
  • Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself
  • Trapper (Serendipity)
  • Dorrie and the Blue Witch (Dorrie the Little Witch, #2)
  • The Fairy Rebel
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always
More about Lois Lowry...
The Giver (The Giver, #1) Number the Stars Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) Messenger (The Giver, #3) Son (The Giver, #4)