Start by marking “Or All the Seas with Oysters” as Want to Read:
Or All the Seas with Oysters

Or All the Seas with Oysters

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A collection of stories.

Fantastic creations, out of time, space and mind. Past and present intermingle in these spellbinding stories; reality and illusion rub shoulders .and the results are terrifyingly logical and utterly incredible.
Published December 1st 1976 by Pocket (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Or All the Seas with Oysters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Or All the Seas with Oysters

Manny
You can never find a safety-pin when you need one. You often open a closet, and discover a bunch of coat-hangers you don't recall putting there. And where do all these abandoned bicycles come from?

Well, I suppose the above facts might be completely unconnected. But, on the other hand...
Tyan
This book of short stories was WAY better than the previous Avram Davidson book I read. I am glad I was willing to try another book by this author. The stories here all involve regular people dealing with the supernatural or fantastic. How could you not love cannibalistic bicycles, dentists who want to save the world from aliens, and jump rope songs as magical spells?

The stories that really shine involve a lot of character development. My favorites include the following:

Or All the Seas With Oyst
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
This is quite uneven collection of science fiction/fantasy short stories. Some, such as the 1858 Hugo short story award winner, Or All the Seas with Oysters, Dagon, and The Montavarde Camera are great, but far too many of the rest were... OK. Davidson has a reputation for being a great stylist and I can see that. Unfortunately, he wasn't always at the top of his game.
Eric
Oct 25, 2014 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
I'll never look at my bikes the same way again, especially that fancy Bianchi racer I've restored...i better handle it with care, or else...gulp!
Larry
A few good stories in this anthology, but mostly they didn't click for me.
Jeremy Maddux
Jeremy Maddux marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Shanea
Shanea marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Palicz Gyorgy
Palicz Gyorgy marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Genia
Genia added it
Jan 01, 2015
Steve
Steve added it
Dec 07, 2014
Dione Basseri
Dione Basseri marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Sarala Baral
Sarala Baral marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Thebossinthewall
Thebossinthewall marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Iness
Iness marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
William Pasteris
William Pasteris marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Chin
Chin added it
Aug 29, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Avram Davidson was an American Jewish writer of fantasy fiction, science fiction, and crime fiction, as well as the author of many stories that do not fit into a genre niche. He won a Hugo Award and three World Fantasy Awards in the science fiction and fantasy genre, a World Fantasy Life Achievement award, and a Queen's Award and an Edgar Award in the mystery genre. Davidson edited The Magazine of ...more
More about Avram Davidson...
Adventures in Unhistory: Conjectures on the Factual Foundations of Several Ancient Legends The Avram Davidson Treasury: A Tribute Collection The Phoenix and  the Mirror The Other Nineteenth Century The Enquiries of Doctor Eszterhazy