Start by marking “The Way to Dusty Death” as Want to Read:
The Way to Dusty Death

The Way to Dusty Death

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,588 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Reissue of the classic tale of high-octane adventure set in the world of 1970s Formula One, from the acclaimed master of action and suspense.

Johnny Harlow seems to have it all: he's good looking, desired by women, and envied by men; he's also the reigning Formula One world champion, the poster-boy for the world's most thrilling and richly financed sport. But a recent devas
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published 1994 by Harper Collins (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Way to Dusty Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way to Dusty Death

GS Nathan
An old favourite...Read it for old times sake...pretty nice old fashioned story, men with strong jaws and strong minds, beautiful women, dark villians, and misguided youth. A formula but an enjoyable formula, none the less...
Janine Precey
A top racing driver causes a deadly crash changing the lives of many... But did he really cause it? While entertaining, this story relied on people constantly making assumptions, some of which were just a jump too far. Many revelations came out at the end, some would have been better to have been exposed sooner to give the book more depth. The main character was too emotionless until near the end and by then a bit hard to warm to. The main female character was two dimensional, very pure and good ...more
rabbitprincess
Nov 18, 2011 rabbitprincess rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: F1 fans who also like MacLean
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: impulse library borrow
Shelves: bibliotheque, 2011
A fairly diverting thriller for fans of auto racing. The story begins with world-famous Formula 1 driver Johnny Harlow being involved in a fiery, horrific crash that claims the life of a fellow driver and cripples the daughter of his team's owner when she is hit by flying debris. Rumours then start flying that Harlow has lost his nerve -- he's seen drinking to excess when before he would never touch alcohol, he spends more time alone and is just generally unpleasant. He is also convinced that th ...more
Jon
A pleasant enough read but, as only the third Alistair Maclean novel I've read, my least favourite of the three.

There is plenty of mystery in the story since the characters' thoughts, even that of the protagonist, Harlow, are never written - only their actions - so we are left to guess at their intentions. But therein lies the problem. Empathy comes before sympathy. How can we care what happens if we are not sympathetic towards the characters, and how can we be sympathetic if we do not know what
Suby
Formula 1 racing is something we look forward to watching. In this book, Mr. MacLean gives us an insight into what goes on behind the scenes in this emperor of sports. How a Champion driver is driven to enacting the role of an alcoholic to find out who is the betrayer in his team.
Wherever there is a lot of money involved in sports these irregularities are bound to happen. But how can a race driver function when he has no trust on the supporting team. Really a ver pertinent question.
The Ace Form
Sthitadhi Roy
this is a must read for all the motorsport fans out there….

brilliant breath-taking….the story races ahead like those sleek formula 1 cars racing around on track…the best part is..the climax is not on the tracks but off it..the story doesnt end with the hero winning the last race of the season by a tenth of a second to win the championship…but there is more to formula 1 than simply hurtling these beasts around the race tracks….foul play in motor racing can be even more sinister….can be even dirti
Geoff Nolan
Nowhere near MacLean's best, but it's another childhood favourite of mine. In this book, AM takes his formula to the world of motorsport. Anyone with a passing knowledge of motorsport will probably spot a few errors here and there, but it's part of the charm. And one could argue that Grand Prix cars should have brake lights!

It's an easy-reading adventure story with the usual AM twists and characters (heavy-drinkers, baddies, ever-present 'Mary'), and it's not too long. If there are any teenaged
Arun Jawarlal
If you are a Maclean fan, you will love the chases, the fast paced story and the predictable plot!
Gloria
From the Companion Book Club. Not sure when I finished this, but guessing 1975
Bob Jr.
An enjoyable thriller and something a little off the beaten path for Alistair MacLean. Lean and fast, like the cars the main character drives. Not a book I'll need to read again, but a pleasant diversion.
Nic
fantasic read really enjoyed this one ! recommend !!!
Claire H
very fun - would recommend to new MacLean fans
Willem Van Kalsbeek
In het Nederlands gelezen.
Leuk zo'n retro boek.
Jeff Crosby
I began re-reading Alistair MacLean after thirty years in the fall of 2009. My first two titles were Caravan to Vaccares and this novel. I remember vividly reading it when it was first published. I found I still remembered almost all the names, the setting, and the plot conventions. It is pure MacLean, but a break from the more typical espionage stories. And so it goes.
Jeff Anderson
Pretty par for the course with MacLean, hard to figure out what is really going on through most of the book, but then in the end everything comes clear. This one is about a race car driver who may or may not be losing his edge, but is experiencing all kinds of disaster on the track. Pretty good read, but kind of contrived.
Quillracer
I am a huge fan of auto racing, primarily NASCAR Sprint Cup but any racing will do as long as it involves 2 cars or trucks competing against each other. So I was delighted to see this book was about racing. The only quibble I have is that this book didn't include more about the racing.
Kartik
I picked this up for one of my long train journeys and I am glad that I read it when I actually had time to while away. The technical aspects were nicely done but overall it was cheesy and cliched! I could never get myself to care for anyone or anything in the plot.
Maura
Not much to say here. perfectly fine adventure/sort-of-mystery book. i've got a couple others by him (also rescued from the 'rents basement), and i can't say i'm now burning to read them, but i won't avoid them either.
Stefan
This was a quick, fun, novel. The vivid racing scenes, the surprises, and plot twists kept me flipping pages. Alistair MacLean’s is a solid thriller writer, his books are exciting and delightfully readable.
Ravinder
Not one of his finest, but my first Alistair Maclean. Courtesy my elder brother. Or his friend from who he had loaned the book. Read this when I was around 11 years old..1976.
Fredrick Danysh
Formula one champion Johnny Harlow notices that too many bad things are happening in too many places. When he starts to investigate, he is blamed for the latest accident.
Madhura
This story comes back to front. You're told of an investigation but you don't know who is investigating whom and for what purpose. But boy-oh-boy! What a fantastic read!
Jemima
It's the kind of book that I would have read in ninth standard when I was in my Sidney Sheldon devouring phase. Even then, Sheldon was miles ahead in this genre.
Carmen
An easy-reading adventure story, a diverting thriller for fans of racing. Alistair MacLean a thriller writer whose books always prove exciting and delightful.
Erin
This is one of my favorite of MacLean's books - unlikely spy-hero sets out to save the day in the world of European racing.
Cain
Plot holes ahoy. However: compelling protagonists, excellent car scenes, the usual delicious dry humour.
Ruth Long
Continue to read repeatedly since first read in 1984 - one of five books I MUST have on my deserted island
Charles
I don't remember that much about the plot but remember liking it a lot.
  • Alistair MacLean's Air Force One Is Down
  • Alistair MacLean's Red Alert
  • Levkas Man
  • The Venetian Affair
  • The Rattle-Rat - Grijpstra & De Gier, The Amsterdam Cops (Book 10)
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • Monument
  • Reflex
  • Exit the Milkman (Peter Shandy, #10)
  • The Snow Tiger
  • The Black Corridor
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • A Fatal Vineyard Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #10)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Murder at the Feast of Rejoicing (Lord Meren, #3)
Alistair Stuart MacLean (Scottish Gaelic: Alasdair MacGill-Eain), the son of a Scots Minister, was brought up in the Scottish Highlands. In 1941, at the age of eighteen, he joined the Royal Navy; two and a half years spent aboard a cruiser were to give him the background for 'HMS Ulysses', his first novel, the outstanding documentary novel on the war at sea. After the war he gained an English Hono ...more
More about Alistair MacLean...
Where Eagles Dare The Guns of Navarone Ice Station Zebra When Eight Bells Toll Force 10 from Navarone