Start by marking “Alanna: Die Schwarze Stadt (Alanna von Trebond, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alanna: Die Schwarze Stadt (Alanna von Trebond, #1)

Alanna: Die Schwarze Stadt (Song of the Lioness #1)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  81,087 Ratings  ·  3,234 Reviews
Alanna of Trebond is no ordinary girl: her dream is to become a knight. So she disguises herself as a boy and begins training at the palace of King Roald. Alanna quickly finds out that the road to knighthood is not an easy one, but her skills and stubbornness help her become friends with Prince Jonathan and his followers. At the same time, Alanna makes an enemy of the prin ...more
Audio CD, 4 pages
Published 2006 by Audiolino (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Alanna, please sign up.

Lily yes It there is a bit of romance, but in the first book only lil' bit, the second a bit more! in all of these books I personally fell in love with the…moreyes It there is a bit of romance, but in the first book only lil' bit, the second a bit more! in all of these books I personally fell in love with the romances, and sometimes I said to my sister (who read them to me) "oh she has to marry this guy, he's just so great!!" you will find this book series is vary entrancing in that way!(less)
Lulu i agree pretty easy reading and nothing inappropriate for children. Although in the rest of the series it gets a little more spicy

Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
As one of my childhood favourites, how could I not rate this 5 stars!?
Kat Kennedy
Jul 07, 2010 Kat Kennedy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy action, adventure and fantasy
After reading three paranormal/urban fantasy romances in a row, you can only imagine how happy I was to read, not only something different, but something GOOD!

Good is the best description I can give of Alanna. I wouldn't say it was great. It gets pretty close to it, though. Some parts of it seem unrealistic to me. Alanna being so readily accepted by the boys etc. But the story is short, fun, action-packed with magic and mystery and high-adventure.

Alanna it a great character. Stubborn, cheeky, do
Wendy Darling

Finally read this (*gasp*!) for our classics discussion Friday, 11/27! Our special guest will be the wonderful author Andrea K. Höst, and I'll post a link when it's live.

I enjoyed this very much, but it felt like a first book, with rough transitions and rather unnuanced characterization. But I do like Alanna (and I love George!), so I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Natalie
Jun 09, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In retrospect, this is not a perfect novel, or series of novels, but when I think of who I wanted to be when I was ten years old, my answer was always Alanna. (And I still have a crush on George.)
Tamara
Hey, at least I tried.

Shorted version of the full review (The full one felt like an academic paper on why I dont like this book and series so I had to cut some parts. Oh, how easy it is talking about books I dont like. Also fun! ^_^ Be warned, this review contains my thoughts for this book and some minor/big spoilers for rest of the series -I’ve done some reading and research- which are tagged as spoilers and hidden from virgin eyes.)

For myself, and I suspect many people, books we read and love
Donna
I probably would have liked this better if I'd read it for the first time when I was younger. The heroine is a fairly typical spunky fantasy female, she's a little too perfect and good at everything.

The story is okay but not especially memorable. It takes place over several years, though the passage of time seems a little muddy and the only real sense of it is that sometimes Alanna will mention her age. It's written in third person, and for the most part we're only in Alanna's head. But there a
Danae
Jul 23, 2015 Danae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Needing a book to read while waiting for another to come in at the library, I took way too long searching but after what-felt-like-ever I finally came upon Alanna: The First Adventure. It seemed perfect since it fit the exact criteria I wanted: short-ish and fun.

My long journey in finding a book to hold me over for another was so worth it because this was wonderfully entertaining. Yes it's aimed towards a younger audience, but I still loved every second of it. I finished in a day and immediately
Erin
Oct 10, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young women and girls
This is one of those books that will stick with me, literally and metaphorically. I have it with me at college... The whole series and all the ones I have of the spin off series are dear to me. They are wonderful for girls who are growing up. It is one story after another of strong young girls turning into strong young women.
Norah Una Sumner

Really enjoyed reading this.The writing is not really my cup of tea but the story was interesting enough for me to continue reading about Alanna and her adventures.As someone who's reading the last one right now,I can definitely say that this is the best one in the series.The characters are funny and normal, there's a lot of healthy friend
Tatiana
Dec 20, 2010 Tatiana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: Megan
This series appears to be a childhood favorite of many readers and I think if I were 10 years old I'd be a bigger fan of it as well.

Alanna: The First Adventure is a good book that you would want your small daughter to read and learn from. It is both an entertaining mix of adventure and magic and it teaches all the right lessons of perseverance, patience, hard work, and standing up to adversity. Extra points for writing about periods.

However, to me, an adult reader, this short novel had very lit
Angie
Okay, deep breaths all around. Are you ready for another one of those retro reviews in which I regale you with nostalgic views of my childhood reading and rhapsodize on another heroine who contributed to making me who I am today? If you're not (and I totally would not blame you in the slightest--I know how I can go on about these things), you should probably just swish on by, cause Alanna is sort of the mother of them all when it comes to characters who own a little piece of my soul. She's right ...more
Madeline
May 30, 2014 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still can't believe that I made it through my entire adolescence without ever reading a single Tamora Pierce book. I was aware of the books, obviously, but I never bothered to pick them up. This was mostly due to my childhood belief that once I found a book I really liked, there was no reason to read anything else - this is why I read Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain series multiple times in elementary school, but never bothered to seek out similar series or even any other books by the ...more
Mpauli
A great introduction to the series and a real page turner. Of course you can't expect a complex plot or very imaginative world building, but therefore you get likeable characters and some very great themes for younger readers to pick up on like gender equality or the meaning of friendship. A really enjoyable read that works well as a refresher between bigger books.
Rose Be
Aug 20, 2012 Rose Be rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from a friend, and really have nothing good to say about it. I thought that the plot line was overused, and the writing style left a lot to be desired. The story of a girl dressing up as a a boy to prove herself is something we're all familiar with, and sometimes it's done very well and it's a pleasure to read. However, there was nothing fresh or new about this book, or this series. The characters weren't fleshed out and their difficulties-- hiding identity, physical exhaust ...more
Regan
Nov 29, 2008 Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Regan by: Mrs. Sexton
Shelves: tamora-pierce
This book was so good I can't believe it took me this long to read it Once I got into it I couldn't put it down. I can't wait till Monday so I can start the second book. Alanna proves that girls can do anything.
Gail Carriger
Sep 10, 2014 Gail Carriger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Not really a review, more a memory:

I can pinpoint the origin of these books with the most clarity. I remember being handed the first one by a librarian, and begging my parents to buy it for me when I had to turn it back in. I remember then begging the librarian to tell me the date the next one was expected to release (that was the only way to find out, in those days). I remember the look and location of each new book, in the bookstore, when I went to pick it up. I still have all my first edition
Anne Osterlund
Jul 23, 2009 Anne Osterlund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alanna disguises herself as a boy so that she can train at the palace to become a knight. Along the way she learns how use a sword, balance her precarious friendship with the King of Thieves, and survive the impossible pile of her homework. But she must also find a way to accept her magical gift, and far more important, herself, before her own life, her best friend's (Crown Prince Jonathan's) life, and the fate of the entire kingdom is destroyed. The very first Tortall book, and one of my absolu ...more
Katie
Even though this series is meant for pre-teen girls, I still find it to be interesting as an adult. Alanna is a much better fictional female role model than Bella of "Twilight." Also the books are much better written. Tamora Pierce is an author; Stephanie Meyer is a joke.
First Second Books
It’s an interesting thought-exercise to think about what this book would be like if Tamora Pierce was writing it today!

First thought: it’d probably be about four times longer! (And would the protagonist still have bright red hair and purple eyes?)
Lucila
Before we begin with this whole "what did you think?" thingy, know that I read this book months ago and I don't remember the specifics of it so instead of going back to check the facts, I'll link a review from a GR friend of mine, Tamara, who not only made a detailed review with ten reasons as to why she didn't like this book/series, but she also made it fun and awesome. You can read it here.

description

What, still here? Are you sure? Okay then, I guess I'll have to write a mini-review for this one. Bum
Angela
Dec 21, 2014 Angela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Being constantly told how some heroine was a "great role model for girls" or "sets a good example" or is "such a strong female character" as a 10-year old was worse than eating Brussels sprouts. I would have rather eaten glue than read this book.

So the normal thing everyone says here, "I'd have liked this more as a kid," really does not apply. But at 27, after hearing my twenties-something friends wax nostalgic, I figured I was being grossly unfair, and that I'd finally get around to reading it
Catie
Feb 07, 2011 Catie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very simply written, but powerful. This is exactly the kind of book I want to have around for my daughters when they hit the pre-teen years. There is a wonderful progression of Alanna as slightly scared (but brave) and unsure of her abilities, to an Alanna that's self assured and assertive that I found really inspiring. She deals with a bully, a magical plague, sinister adults, and her grueling classes all while masquerading as a boy so that she can realize her dream of becoming a k ...more
Nikki
Sep 27, 2015 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably a high 3.5-stars for me! I read it in one sitting (a long car ride), and really enjoyed it. I can tell that I'll probably like the later books even more.

PS DON'T KILL ME FOR SECRET-READING THIS, ANGIE
Lorrie
Apr 11, 2012 Lorrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, this book was a huge part of my formative years. I was reading them in 4th and 5th grade and just completely freaking out. I had to hide them from my Christian parents because of the whole multiple gods thing, and do you know how hard it is to smuggle literature when you're only a few times bigger than the paperback book itself? And when your mom is the one DRIVING you to the library? Totally worth it though, guys. All girls around 10 or more should read these.

Pro tip for my younger, mor
Jaime Arkin
Loved this! Someone tell me that there is an Alanna and Jon ship because seriously!!

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Add to the list of gotta-catch-em-all books-- the Song of the Lioness box set. LOOK AT THESE COVERS (the right ones, the left are the old ones). I NEED THEM LIKE AIR THEY'RE SO GORGEOUS.

Lindsey Rey
Oct 23, 2014 Lindsey Rey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this!!! I highly recommend it especially if you are looking for a quick read!
Arielle Walker
I used to be obsessed with these books. When I was younger I was equally fascinated by medieval history and magic, and Alanna was the perfect heroine.

The story is fairly simple, and has been repeated many times in many different ways by many different authors since: for me, Piece was the first to tell it. Alanna does not want to be a "Lady". She doesn't want to go to a convent and learn embroidery and other "lady-like" subjects. She wants to be a warrior, and fight, and defeat evil! So she take
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 27, 2011 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I read this when my children were still small. After all, it was my responsibility to introduce them to fantasy literature...er, ah,....as well as other literature that is...huh, huh,huh.

Anyway, this is an enjoyable story, you'll of course run into the character types and plot points elsewhere, but that's okay. Character types, become character "types" for a reason. Alan...Alanna is a good character, though a little, trying or even annoying at times. Still, she knows her mind!

This book has a few
Alissa
Feb 07, 2016 Alissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-ebooks
Lovely coming-of-age tale, clearly written for a younger audience, but I'm young at heart :)

I enjoyed it. Well, plot, characters, structure, prose and situations are very simple, easy to follow; there are no surprises, but I expected that and so this book gave me the light entertainment I was looking for and also some reminiscing, I am sure I would have loved this story as a child, when I wouldn't have been able to notice the improbability of Alanna's luck.

The only so and so note was the narrati
Can't remember title! 8 57 Mar 23, 2016 11:48PM
The Harpies' Book...: Alanna: The First Adventure, YA fantasy favourite. 1 2 Jan 04, 2016 02:54AM
What to read after Tamora Pierce? 116 1369 Nov 07, 2015 08:25PM
Crazy for Young A...: ✔Pair 7: Vicki & Ecrivaine (November 2015) 49 121 Nov 07, 2015 06:24PM
Should I start reading Tortall? Why, or why not? 24 85 Jun 12, 2015 10:19AM
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)
  • Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • A Gathering of Gargoyles (Darkangel Trilogy, #2)
  • The Blue Sword (Damar, #1)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2)
  • Obernewtyn (Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1)
  • The Seer and the Sword (Healer and Seer, #1)
  • Arrow's Flight (Heralds of Valdemar, #2)
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
  • Parsifal's Page (The Squire's Tales, #4)
  • Mystic and Rider (Twelve Houses, #1)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

Song of the Lioness (4 books)
  • In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2)
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4)

“Alanna: All I know is that I'm to jump when I'm told and I have no free time.” 128 likes
“Alan, you seem to think we won't like you unless you do things just like everyone else. Have you ever thought we might like you because you're different?” 120 likes