Start by marking “Looking for Trouble (Sal Kilkenny, #1)” as Want to Read:
Looking for Trouble (Sal Kilkenny, #1)

Looking for Trouble (Sal Kilkenny #1)

She's a single parent. A private eye. And liking it. Until, that is, Mrs Hobbs turns up asking Sal Kilkenny to find her missing son. Sal's search takes her through the Manchester underworld, a world of deprivation, of well-heeled organized crime and, ultimately, murder.
Published November 3rd 1994 by Crocus Books

To ask other readers questions about Looking for Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for Trouble

Lynda Kelly
Jan 03, 2014 Lynda Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
I had high hopes for this after reading others' reviews and realising she write Scott & Bailey among other things-can't go wrong !! However........this was an "old" book released onto the Kindle and it's full of mistakes. So much so I wanted to pack it in in loads of instances as it wore me down. This is expected in freebies (although still unacceptable as far as I'm concerned) but not in paid books so I'm less than impressed. I had plans to read this whole series but won't now. I have ...more
Gill
Jan 03, 2014 Gill rated it it was ok

I can't believe this is from the creator of Scott and Bailey :( I could have written this book. It has no style. I felt zero connection with the characters; a boring relating of Sal Kilkenny's boring life. I am reading the first Scott and Bailey novel which seems to be written by a different writer - The writing is on par with Val McDermid ...
I received Bitter Blue from the Book Depository today featuring Sal Kilkenny. I hope it is better than this book.
Sandra
This probably one of Cath Staincliffer earliest novels, and compared to 'Letters to my daughter's killer' and some of the Scott and Bailey novels, it shows which, obviously, is a Good Thing. This, for my taste, over-domestic in its detail and Sal Kilkenny far too ditzy to be convincing or interesting. The low side of three stars
Colin Slider
Sep 11, 2016 Colin Slider rated it did not like it
couldn't get into this at all - after 60 or so pages realised I had no interest in finding out what was happening with the protagonist, felt no empathy with her or her various issues - so rather than persevere I gave up. That doesn't happen often
Kirsty Darbyshire

This is just about as good as I could want a crime novel to be. Staincliffe's Manchester is the real thing, it's not been sanitised or seedified and it's a great backdrop for this story. I thought Val McDermid's Kate Brannigan books had a good Mancunian feel to them but they've got nothing on this book for bringing the city to life. On every other page I found myself remembering something else about the place. I don't know how the book would read if you didn't already know Manchester but I don't

Deborah
Feb 27, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
I enjoyed this, the first Sal Kilkenny mystery. I liked the central characters - Sal, her little girl Maddie, their housemates Ray and his little boy Tom.

the layers of mystery surrounding Martin Hobbs, the missing teenage boy, were nicely complex without overdoing it. the secondary characters were varied and clearly depicted, if not always with a lot of depth. the awful lodger Clive was very convincing and evoked horrible memories of shared houses :-)
the conclusion was satisfying, even if some
Naomi
Jan 26, 2012 Naomi rated it really liked it
The first in the Sal Kilkenny Mysteries was really good and sucked me in immediately. I still prefer her Janine Lewis series to this one. I think the characters are much more enjoyable, but these will do. One of the things that drives me crazy with this series is that if you are in the US, as I am, you are scratching and clawing to get the SK books. I have had to read a number of them out of order, so I didn't develop as much of an attachment to SK as I did Janine Lewis.
Sandra Shannon
Mar 09, 2015 Sandra Shannon rated it really liked it
I have read four of Cath's later books and felt they grabbed me more than this story. Having said that, I think I will come to like Sal and her little family and her friends more with each book. There is certainly no beg your pardons in this book, but I agree there was a least one instance at the school, which just wouldn't happen. Perhaps the fact this book was first published in 1994, has something to do with it.
Debbie
Nov 09, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
Manchester (UK) based Private Investigator Sal finds a missing boy and a whole heap of trouble. Despite being warned off by the police after her client is found dead, Sal continues to get involved in the mystery surrounding young Martin. Not your usual cops and robbers - despite some nasty crimes, this is an almost gentle crime novel.
Samantha Curtis
Jun 08, 2015 Samantha Curtis rated it it was amazing
I have read quite a lot of Cath Staincliffe's books and loved every one. After reading the 3rd book in this series not realising it was a series i had to read from the start. I wasnt disappointed. All the books i read from cath just get better and better.

Looking forward to reading more books from cath
K.B. Walker
Oct 05, 2013 K.B. Walker rated it it was amazing
I heard this author speak at a local library and thought I'd give her books a try. This was a very good read, kept me gripped and I'll look out for more Sal Kilkenny stories in the future. Best of all it's set in Manchester.
Gustambro
Aug 16, 2014 Gustambro rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-order
I know it is one of Cath first books but I was not impressed. I enjoyed the style of Scot & Bailey, but Sal Kilkenny was boring and not that smart. More like an amateur! I've given up on reading the next on the series...
Angela
May 06, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
Great book I really enjoyed it and read it in one day. One or two facts are slightly wrong - you can't walk into a school staff room without signing in as a visitor and no teacher would ever give away a pupils address - but this didn't spoil my enjoyment. I've just bought book 2!
Jack
Apr 16, 2014 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Manchester-based private investigator Sal is asked to look for a runaway boy. Then a body turns up and plenty of other unpleasant things start happening. Exciting crime tale.
Angela Free
May 11, 2014 Angela Free rated it really liked it
Didn't want to put this one down. Which is quite surprising because it isn't particularly meaty. Really like Sal Kilkenny (the main character). Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Ian Britton
Sep 19, 2012 Ian Britton rated it liked it
This was my first Cath Staincliffe book and featured Sal Kilkenny private eye. If you like Sue Grafton you will properly like this series. I now plan to go on and read the rest.
Adele
The first Sal Kilkenny Mystery, short-listed for the Crime Writers’ Association best first novel award
Rachel Cotterill
Aug 01, 2012 Rachel Cotterill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thriller
Utterly gripping, I couldn't put it down. Realistic characters with normal lives, in a tense thriller that kept me guessing to the end.
Nicola Normandale
Nicola Normandale rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
bookworm77
bookworm77 rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2012
Ellen Barnes
Ellen Barnes rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
David Highton
Nov 20, 2015 David Highton rated it liked it
decent plot but not altogether convinced by the Kilkenny character - will try Book 2 though
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was ok
May 15, 2014
Susan williams
Susan williams rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Sea Andrews
Sea Andrews rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2012
Jacquie
Jacquie rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Jane Kilpatrick
Jane Kilpatrick rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Kay
Kay rated it liked it
May 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Someday Never Comes (D.I. Paolo Storey, #2)
  • The Missing
  • A Kind Of Vanishing
  • Hurry Up and Wait
  • Cut Short (DI Geraldine Steel, #1)
  • Touch
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
  • Catch Your Death
  • Ninepins
  • Dark Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen, #1)
  • Remix
  • Dagmars Daughter
  • A Limited Justice (Craig Crime Series, #1)
  • False Impressions
  • Filthy
  • Guilty as Sin (Knight & Culverhouse, #2)
  • There’s Always Tomorrow
  • The Woman Before Me (Cate Austin, #1)
Cath Staincliffe is a best selling, award winning novelist, radio playwright and the creator of ITV's hit series, Blue Murder, starring Caroline Quentin as DCI Janine Lewis. Cath's books have been short-listed for the British Crime Writers Association best first novel award and for the Dagger in the Library and selected as Le Masque de l'Année. In 2012 Cath was joint winner of the CWA Short Story ...more
More about Cath Staincliffe...

Sal Kilkenny (8 books)
  • Go Not Gently (Sal Kilkenny, #2)
  • Dead Wrong (Sal Kilkenny, #3)
  • Stone Cold Red Hot (Sal Kilkenny, #4)
  • Towers of Silence (Sal Kilkenny, #5)
  • Bitter Blue (Sal Kilkenny, #6)
  • Missing (Sal Kilkenny, #7)
  • Crying Out Loud (Sal Kilkenny, #8)