Start by marking “A History of US: Book 8: An Age of Extremes 1880-1917” as Want to Read:
A History of US: Book 8: An Age of Extremes 1880-1917

A History of US: Book 8: An Age of Extremes 1880-1917

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For the captains of industry, men like Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, J. P. Morgan, and Henry Ford, the Gilded Age was a time of big money. Technology boomed with the invention of trains, telephones, electric lights, harvesters, vacuum cleaners, and more. But for millions of immigrant workers, it was a time of big struggles, with adults and children alike working 12 ...more
Published September 15th 2002 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A History of US, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of US

Carolyn
Engaging but very subjective history for youth.
Benjamin Thomas
Book 8 of Joy Hakim's "A History of US, An Age of Extremes" is another fine entry in the 10-volume young adult US history set. Even though I like to consider myself quite knowledgeable about history in general and US history in particular, I always uncover new facts when I read these books. Moreover, I gain greater insight on the happenings of the era because of the excellent presentation. I love all of the interesting sidebars, pictures, and diagrams that are included.

This volume covers numerou
Amy
Absolutely fascinating. This book covers an era in US History that I know what only brushed on when I was in school.

I consider it a huge plus that the author throws in a lot of sidebars on economics. Very straight forward (though probably simplified) concepts and descriptions. It really helped me pass it on to the kids when we needed to go over some of the other things that were happening at the time.

Also, I appreciated that the author didn't shy away from presenting a somewhat more balanced vie
Jenevieve
Middle-School History covering 1880-1917. This book focused first on the power houses of their day: Rockefeller, Carnegie, and Morgan. It also talked about the inventions and innovations of the Gilded Age but also focused a lot on the extremes between the rich and poor and the politics behind it like the city bosses but also how the progressives came into being trying to deal with the injustices they saw all around and the reforms that came about such as the child labor laws, juvenile courts, th ...more
Suzanne
These could be great books, but Ms. Hakim is incredibly biased and condescends to young readers by constantly telling her audience who was a "good" President and who was not, who was a "good" businessman, and who was not. It is also clear that she has very socialistic ideas about the way government and society should operate. On the upside, it's a great opportunity to teach young readers how to critically read non-fiction material and how to identify bias.
Dexter
A very well-written and interesting history book. It's rare that I find what is essentially a textbook that is so much fun and still informative. It's not every book that warns you when a chapter will be boring!

Usually after I finish history books, I feel like I've wasted a ton of time. This time, on the other hand, I feel like I've actually learned something!
The other John
Ms. Hakim takes on 1880 through 1917 in this eighth volume of A History of US. It was the time of robber barons and labor unions, populists, inventors and immigrants. Ms. Hakim presents it with her usual mix of social and political history, giving special attention to those whose ideas weren't quite so popular at the time.
Pam
The last sentence made me want to cry. Great book. Takes you back and forth from the politics to the people in all parts of the country. Doesn't cover everything...too much history to fit in a short book but it's a great overview.
Rachel
Love these books! They are a great addition to the textbook and a good resource for the teacher and preparing powerpoints. Would love to have a classroom set of these!
Skye
Great text - just like the rest of the series! I'm learning so much that you would have thought I should have already learned in school, but somehow missed...
Theresa
a good resource for children to learn about american during the age of extreme ideals and reaction to the people and interactions with in the nation.
Ariel Paiement
I loved this history book! It is clear and easily understood, but it provides good solid understanding of America's past!
Cws
Katy
Katy added it
May 23, 2015
Hope Wilson
Hope Wilson marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Alex
Alex added it
May 03, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Flora Viv
Flora Viv marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • Traitor: the Case of Benedict Arnold
  • Stink Alley
  • The Slopes of War
  • World War II: The Rest Of The Story And How It Affects You Today, 1930 To September 11, 2001
  • Bound for Oregon
  • The Boys' War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War
  • Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Before Columbus: The Americas of 1491
  • Dragon's Gate (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #3)
  • Freedom Walkers: The Story of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
  • Nothing to Fear
  • Bonanza Girl
  • Sacajawea
  • Early Modern Times: From Elizabeth the First to the Forty-Niners (The Story of the World #3)
  • The World of Columbus and Sons
  • They Loved to Laugh
  • Child's History of the World
My husband and I live most of the year in Colorado, but we also have a longtime home in Virginia. I grew up in Rutland, Vermont and graduated from Rutland High School. I earned a bachelor's degree in government at Smith College, a master's degree in education from Goucher College, as well as an honorary doctorate from Goucher.

I've been a teacher: in Syracuse, New York; Omaha, Nebraska; and Virgini
More about Joy Hakim...
A History of US: Book One: The First Americans (Prehistory-1600) A History of US: Making Thirteen Colonies: 1600-1740 A History of US Book Two A History of Us: Book 3: From Colonies to Country 1735-1791 A History of US: Book 6: War, Terrible War 1855-1865 The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way: Aristotle Leads the Way