Start by marking “A Toad for Tuesday” as Want to Read:
A Toad for Tuesday

A Toad for Tuesday

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Can an owl and a toad really be friends? Warton the toad is very proud of himself when he straps on a pair of homemade skis and ventures out in th dead of winter to visit Aunt Toolia. But then an owl swoops down and carries Warton off to his lair, promising to gobble him up as birthday treat come Tuesday. Can Warton's bravery and wit turn the owl from enemy to friend in ju ...more
Published January 1st 1974 by Lothrop, Lee and Shepard Books

To ask other readers questions about A Toad for Tuesday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Toad for Tuesday

Ellen
What a great book! Warton the toad sets off on a journey to visit his aunt, and he gets caught by an owl who plans to save him for his birthday on Tuesday. Warton decides to be friendly with the owl in an attempt to save his life? What happens? Read the book to find out! I really enjoyed this book, it was sweet and had a happy ending.
Britney Nguyen
This book is a great book, the reason why closed it is because the title. "A toad for Tuesday", I usually like titles that have some interesting events in the story. A toad for Tuesday gets me into a mood that is excitement, and much more. I can't really describe it that well, but it's a great book. The title gives me a feeling that an owl would eat a toad, on Tuesday. There has to be a reason why the owl would eat the toad on Tuesday. It was actually the owl's birthday. Titles do get picked, an ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Warton the toad, undeterred by the dangerous winter weather, determines to visit his Aunt Toolia to bring her some of his brother Morton's delicious beetle brittle. He fashions skis and sallies forth, only to be captured by a dour owl who determines to eat him as a special treat on his upcoming birthday. As the days count down, Warton's kindness toward his captor causes the owl to question whether he really wants to eat the animal who has become his only friend. The story culminates in a dramati ...more
Sarah Sammis
A Toad for Tuesday is one of four books we picked up on our trip to Oregon back in February. As Sean is enamored with owls we both agreed this looked like a good book for him. I was immediately drawn to it for Lawrence di Fiori's illustrations. They are reminisicent of Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad series and his Owl at Home book.

The story is one of an unlikely friendship and redemption. Warton Toad finds himself the prisoner of an owl who plans to save him for his birthday dinner on the upcoming
Catie
Oh my goodness. We could not put this book down! I read it in two or three sittings with my girls! (Ages 4 and 6) It's a great story about a toad who wants to take some Beetle Brittle to his Aunt Toolia in the winter. On his way he encounters an owl which is where the story gets interesting! I highly recommend this book for anyone under 10. And adults of course. ;)
J.
I dislike books that make predators the bad guys. Everyone has to eat something! Circle of life, right?
That said, it is a cute and clever book.
Sydnee Hulse
What a sweet book! This book teaches about friendship, trust, bravery, and much more. It tells a story of two unlikely friends, a toad, and an owl. The toad, Warton is on his way, in the snow, to bring his Aunt some beetle brittle when an owl swoops him up. The owl, who Warton calls George, plans to eat Warton next Tuesday. You see, next Tuesday is George's birthday. During this week, an interesting friendship slowly starts to form. I do not want to give away the ending, but it is so sweet it ma ...more
Leah
I remember loving Russell Erickson books as a child and when I found this in perfect condition at a thrift store, I had to buy it. I've read it to my five year old and he has been captivated by the story. He hangs on every word and is anticipating what's to come next. It makes me so happy to share this story with him and to feel the same excitement he's now experiencing. I hope this is something that he will one day share with his children.
Ashley
I love this story about a toad who braves the snow on homemade skis to take beetle brittle to his Aunt Toolia. Along the way, he is captured by an owl named George who plans to eat him on Tuesday, his birthday. The story is about how they become unlikely friends.
Monica Willyard
Mar 31, 2009 Monica Willyard rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with kids or who wants to visit childhood for awhile
Shelves: nls
This was one of my favorite children's books. Ok, so I still like it. ;) I can't wait until my niece is old enough for me to read it to her. This story taught me a lot about the power of kindness and persistence to overcome fear and dislike.
Kylie Cheung
Hah, I read this book so many years ago with my mother in the second grade and it remains my favorite book and still holds a very special place in my heart. I recommend it highly whether you're 5 years old or 50. The sweetest thing.
Christina
Delightful and tender book. We loved this story of a toad who lives as an owl's prisoner for a week. There are more books about this particular toad by Erickson, but we have yet to find them at the library. Still looking. . .
Kidsbookworm
This is a delightful story that the whole family loved! Do not read any further if you do not want the story to be spoiled!

Reading how Toad became a good friend to Owl was heartwarming.
Nicole
Jan 05, 2009 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: classroom book groups
Delightful. Sweet and simple.

The perfect book for advanced little ones or struggling older ones. I could go on and on about word choice, inference, and voice but I'll try and keep the teacher on a leash.
A plucky hero, a curmudgeonly villain, a happy ending in which everyone gets their hearts' desire. A terrific read-aloud for a young child with a long attention span. Also, Wharton is my personal hero.
Marion
A wonderful children's book about FRIENDSHIP. If you are reading this book to a younger child, be sure to use a deep, gravely voice for the owl's voice. And, read it slowly and dramatically. Yum!
Alice
An unlikely friendship blossoms btwn an old, crusty owl who intends to eat Warton, the toad, on his bday. Guess what day of the week it is?
Susan Brooijmans
Heerlijk boekje, alleen veel te snel uit. Zo innemend, positief (maar niet zoet) en ook spannend. Een boek waar je oprecht blij van wordt!
Roo
i really enjoyed the book a great message to.i never would have guessed that would happen in this book but i guess so!
Shari Cook
Ian read this for school, and I needed to read through it to help him find "new words" for him...didn't find any.
Jessica
A most wonderful read out loud book. The character are well thought out. Kids 1-6 have loved this book.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book is about a toad who goes to his Aunt Toola's house and gets captured by an owl.
Sarah Grandberg
this book was a comfort in my childhood and is now a favourite of my children
Kinkizmariehotmail.com
Kinkizmariehotmail.com marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Wyatt
Wyatt marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
S Dot
S Dot marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Warton and the Contest Warton And The Traders Warton and Morton Warton and the King of the Skies Warton's Christmas Eve Adventure