Beginnings

Beginnings

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Published June 1st 1975 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginnings

Leslie
This was a delightful book of poetry. I'm sure I'll refer to it again and again. I just listened to Carol Lynn Pearson read several of these along with her life story from podcasts on mormonstories.org and it made this book all the more meaningful. Thanks Lisa!
Andre
Before writing my review I must give this disclaimer. I knew Carol Lynn Wright before she married Gerald Pearson. She went to Provo (UT) High School as I did and, although I graduated several years before her, we had the same great drama coach: Max Golightly. When I returned to BYU to do graduate work, Carol Lynn was finishing up her undergraduate degree. We both spent a great deal of time on BYU stages. She was one of the greatest actresses ever on those stages...I, usually, played cast of thou...more
Rosemary
As a teen, Carol Lynn Pearson came to a fireside in our ward. Only about 6 of us came on that cold snowy night. Her poems were trendy and popular to use in talks, so I was surprised to see that she was a bit of a hippy. I soon forgot about her long granny dress and her long straight hair parted in the middle. Her poetry really touched me. Years later I saw her book at a thrift store for twenty-five cents. It is worth $25.00! I love to read this book of poems over and over. They have the unique d...more
Robin
This is by far my favorite book of poetry. The words speak to my soul. I love the heartfelt sentiment of each succinct little poem. In this collection her style is similar to the poetry of Emily Dickinson. Her later works have a different feel in my opinion. The illustrations are very moving. I have read this so many times that the cover is hanging on by a string!

I received this book as a gift when I was a new mommy... I guess my little Tiffany must have found it and added her own "illustration...more
Miri
Feb 09, 2012 Miri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
To One Who Has Been Done Dirt

Cry or curse or call it unfair,
But be grateful till the grave
That in this hurt
You're the one who received,
And not the one who gave.

Unfed

Amazed,
Why we are afraid
To feast.
Lisa
I've loved this book of poetry since 1980. My favorite poem in it is On Nest Building. I sent a copy of it to my parents from Paris when I was a student there. She expressed, better than I could, my gratitude to my parents for helping to make Paris possible for me. Her poetry will always be dear, insightful, inspired and profound for me!
Amanda
My favorite poem is "Trial Number Five." I can relate to many of the poems in this book. There are some on adoption, many on life, our relationship with Heavenly Father. It is a very lovely book of poetry. I received this book from my mother in law one Christmas. I plan to keep it and pass it on to my children.
Tricia McKean
These poems gave me immense comfort at the beginning of this year. Some were too WAM POW religion-in-you-face for me, but there were some subtle gems in there. She has a way of writing poetry that is similar to the way I used to, so I think that's why they speak to me.
Carol
An insightful set of works that really provides thoughts through poetry that can broaden our experience
with poetry. It is probably my favorite of the works I have read of Peasons. She has had her own life's experiences that we can relate to through her written word.
Maggie
I find Pearson's style satisfying and her themes thoughtful. This early poetry of hers is particularly poignant, because of what came later.

I write more about reading over here.
Kathleen
My first and treasured intro into the works (and future works) of my now beloved Carol Lynn Pearson. A must read for mothers. Flash forward to 2011 and her mature works in "The Sweet, Still Waters of Home". You will weep...
Jana
I wanted to re-read this after just finishing Goodbye, I Love You. Honestly, there's only a handful of poets that I can say I love to read their work and hers is one of them.
Valerie
I really related to her poetry back in the 1970's when these were written. I was recently reminded of her poem on prayer and used it in a Sunday School lesson the other day.
Alisha
Oct 28, 2010 Alisha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I think to myself that I don't really like/get poetry, but there were ones here that were very lovely AND thought-provoking AND they keep popping up in my head.
Jenn
I was curious about this poetry since I've heard it referenced many times and I know the author. All together, I found the short poems sweet an easy to read.
Robin
Wonderful insights are characteristic of Carol Lynn Pearson's poetry . . . something in me wants to be just like her when it comes to the gift of words.
Linda Shaw
I love the simple beauty of her short poems. They touch you at the heart. She is a beautiful person. It is a book that I will treasure and refer to often.
Misty Lynne
My very most favorite book of poetry. Carol Lynn Pearson's poetry is simple and lovely. I have been enlightened and touched by it.
Etta Mcquade
I memorized Carol Lynn Pearson's poetry years ago and have given several of her poems on programs, especially "Full Circle."
Denise
I love her insightful mind and how she describes life in such creative ways that I can see in my minds eye.
Sandra
Such beautiful poetry. Not overly wrought and so approachable, yet deep and lovely.
Chris
I love Carol Lynn Pearson's poetry. This is one of my most treasured books.
Naomi
Dec 20, 2013 Naomi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chullain
Wonderful... Thoughtful... Beautiful. She Is a true poet.
Liz
I rarely find poetry that speaks to my soul, but hers does.
The Smiths
This was my favorite of our three Carol Lynn Pearson books.
Karen
Excellent LDS poet.
Gina Christopherson
Gina Christopherson marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
From http://www.clpearson.com/about_me.htm

In fourth grade, in Gusher, Utah, I won four dollars in a school district essay contest on “Why We Should Eat a Better Breakfast.” And yes, this morning I had a bowl of my own excellent granola, followed by a hike in the hills near my home in Walnut Creek, California.

In high school I began writing in earnest. I have now in my files a folder marked “Poetry,...more
More about Carol Lynn Pearson...
Goodbye, I Love You A Stranger for Christmas No More Goodbyes: Circling the Wagons Around Our Gay Loved Ones The Lesson: A Fable for Our Times The Modern Magi