Start by marking “Puddles” as Want to Read:
Puddles

Puddles

Morning is magical after a night of rain and thunder. And best of all are the puddles! Big ones, little ones, long ones, skinny ones. Splash! Splash! Splash! Put on your raincoat and join two puddle-jumpers in this bouncy read-along that's just right for a rainy day or any day.
Published April 26th 1999 by Puffin Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Puddles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puddles

Carlee
Oct 26, 2012 Carlee rated it it was amazing
We used this book with the comprehension strategy of visualization.
First we got the book read aloud to us by our professor. Then we wrote an entry in our writers notebook about whatever they story reminded us of (with younger kids, do this with them so they can see how someone writes, with older kids can do entry before class) We then got a copy of the text and did a choral read as a whole class. Then we highlighted all the words that "made sounds" (drip, slosh, chirp..)Then we wrote all those
Jessica Benson
This little boy loves playing in puddles outside after a nice rainstorm. The story is full of onomatopoeis's with all the sounds that the water makes when the boy jumps into the puddles. I would use this book to teach about the sound words and show how if those sound words were taken out of the story, the story wouldn't be as good. You could also use this book in a visualization lesson having students write about what the story makes them think of.
Shelbi Bishop
Oct 06, 2011 Shelbi Bishop rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book is about a children who like to play in puddles. After a long day of playing, they go inside and have hot chocolate and go play again.

This book is great to use when trying to emphasize the importance of sound words in a book. It contains many onomatopoeias like "splash" "Squish" and others. If you take out all of the words that represent sounds or that the students associate with sounds, the book looses meaning.
Alisha Williams
Sep 21, 2011 Alisha Williams rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
This book was a good book. But nothing wowed me about it. It would be good to start a discussion with children and getting them to relate to books. I did like the part about coming in and getting all cleaned up and warm. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Overall it was okay. I would use it in my classroom.
Lindsey
This little boy loves playing in puddles outside after a nice rainstorm. The story is full of onomatopoeias with all the sounds that the water makes when the boy jumps into the puddles. I would use this book to teach about the sound words and show how if those sound words were taken out of the story, the story wouldn't be very good.
Ashley
Feb 22, 2012 Ashley added it
I loved this book by Jonathan London! I think it was a really fun and unique spin on the weather. I would use this book on a rainy day, or maybe even if I was teaching about the weather systems. I could use a few other books of London's if I was teaching about the weather because he has a few about different weather systems, and this could be fun for the class.
Samantha Street
Mar 08, 2013 Samantha Street rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring, science
I overal all enjoyed this story. The two main characters are told by their mother to go outside and play but to not get dirty, well of course when you tell children this they are going to do the opposite. It was strange to me that the characters were not given names or any real identities. This story would be great to introduce for a science section or science theme involving the weather.
Taylor Johnson
This was a great story that just about every child can relate to. The descriptive language in the book make it a great book for teaching visualization. It is fun to read and children will enjoy listening to this story.
Rachel
Nov 05, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
This picture book follows children as they play in the puddles after a rainstorm. The descriptive langauge makes it so that the pictures may not even be needed. This book could be used in a lesson that teaches visualization.
Robin Giacomelli
Mar 05, 2013 Robin Giacomelli rated it really liked it
This book is a fun story of two kids who love life. It is carefree and the perfect book to introduce Spring or more importantly a unit on frogs. The illustrations are colorful and you cannot help but be drawn to them. It is a great book for a kid of all ages.
Susan
Jun 27, 2010 Susan marked it as to-read
Shelves: mentor-texts
Saw this mentioned in Shelley Harwayne's Writing Through Childhood. She says she likes it because the author is good at "capturing childhood" -- good intro to get our students writing about their own...
Priscilla Schelling
This book was full of descriptive words and I could play the story in my mind even without the pictures. We used this story in class to reinforce "sound" words. I really enjoyed this story.
Apr 22, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Great book for spring! Nice rhyme scheme...not too sing-song-y. Simple illustrations. A repeat request from both my 5 and 2 year old.
Janae
Aug 14, 2013 Janae rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I really like this book:) The author does a great job with imagery, and it's the perfect book for a cozy, dreary day that could lead to some fun puddle jumping later on.
Michelle
Apr 24, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Very cute book about jumping in puddles after a big rain. My 2 1/2 year old daughter could really relate to this book and reminded me how she loves to jump in puddles, too.
Elizabeth
May 18, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Jonathan London/G. Brian Karas books are like reading poetry. This one is especially good right now in the midst of the 40 days and 40 nights of rain in Virginia...
Grannyreadsalot
Apr 19, 2016 Grannyreadsalot rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorably written! Wonderful rhythm, imagery - brings back the feelings you had as a kid during and after rain storms.
Chris
Nov 17, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, weather
Cute book about jumping in the puddles, squishing in the mud, getting clean and going back to jumping in the puddles!
Becca
May 24, 2015 Becca rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars was because of the illustrations. They weren't a good match for the quality of the text.
Emmeline Guest
Oct 09, 2009 Emmeline Guest rated it really liked it
The perfect rainy day story. Definitely a family favorite (along with our big red umbrella, and dinosaur raincoat) in April.
Elizabeth Schrank
This book follows two young children as they play in puddles after a rainstorm. The vivid imagery makes it a very good book to use with visualization. Almost all children could relate to this story.
M.
Apr 19, 2012 M. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I have to admit...I kind of do the same things that these kids did after a rainstorm. I just love jumping in puddles! I guess I still haven't really grown up.
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2013
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2010
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Finny
Finny rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2010
Hannah Douglas Moss
Hannah Douglas Moss rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Haley Dircks
Haley Dircks rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Sg
Sg rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Elissa
Elissa rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jonathan London is the author of several celebrated children's books. His commitment to honoring the wonders of the natural world has been lauded by readers and critics alike. He is the author of more than 70 children's books, many of which are about nature. He's also the author of the popular Froggy series. He lives in Graton, California with his wife and two sons.
More about Jonathan London...