Start by marking “Louella Mae, She's Run Away!” as Want to Read:
Louella Mae, She's Run Away!

Louella Mae, She's Run Away!

"Louella Mae,
she runs away!
Look in the cornfields!
Look in the hay!"

Published April 15th 1997 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Louella Mae, She's Run Away!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louella Mae, She's Run Away!

midnightfaerie
Sep 18, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
We liked the last Beaumont we read, so we decided to try another. My 3 yr old twins were slightly interested, mostly because of the bright colorful pictures. My 5 yr old loves rhyming so that's what kept him slightly engaged, but not much more. The most fun to this book is trying to guess what Louella Mae is and where she's hiding. Even though there's a big hint on the front cover, we all missed it and were surprised to find out what she was. Other than that, I probably wouldn't read it again.
Matthew
May 24, 2017 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be an enjoyable primary grade read. The rhyming text is set up in a way to allow children to guess the rhyming word before they see it using the context clues from the text. Also, you don't realize until the end that Louella May is not human, which makes for a pleasant surprise for readers. Well done.
Mary
Feb 19, 2017 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: jp, humor, 2017
As family runs around all over to find Louella Mae, the excitement builds! The pace of the text helps with that, providing a sense of urgency, though it isn't too scary. When you find out where Louella Mae was all day, and what she was doing, you will be relieved and delighted!
Christine Turner
Apr 13, 2012 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: stories-in-rhyme
A growing crowd searches all around the family farm for the missing Louella Mae.
Louella Mae, she runs away! Look in the cornfields! Look in the hay!" Can you guess where Louella Mae might be? This playful interactive text invites the reader to participate in the search that takes place on a large family farm. The book is perfect for read-alouds as well as for beginning readers. And there's a surprise in store for whoever finds the elusive Louella Mae! www.hcpl.net

I read this in storytime last we
Lindsay Garber
Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed reading this poetry book because the rhyming, rhythm, and illustrations made the story so engaging. The watercolor and colored pencil illustrations cover the entire page of each separate page, enhancing the poem completely. Children will love to listen to this poem all the way to the end, while looking at the colorful illustrations, to find out where Louella Mae has gone!

Purposes:
-Read aloud to K-1 grade
-Enrichment/enjoyment: The poem is very exciting and engag
Kara Roberts
"Can you guess where Louella Mae might be? This playful interactive text invites the reader to participate in the search that takes place on a large family farm.
The book is perfect for read-alouds as well as for beginning readers. And there's a surprise in store for whoever finds the elusive Louella Mae!"

Great book for elementary schools. I like how this book made you want to turn the page and find out more. This book does a great job for children to predict what the next rhyming word will be. I
Cathy
Sep 17, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it
"Louella Mae,
she runs away!
Look in the cornfields!
Look in the hay!"

Shelby Troutman
The family hunts everywhere for Louella Mae. We are led to believe that Louella Mae is a little girl, but she is actually a pig. After hunting everywhere for her, they find her asleep in the bath tub. Good to show that sometimes what you are looking for is in the most obvious places.
Renae Williams
This book sends you on an adventure to find the pig Louella Mae. The story is fun for young children and it would be good to make predictions with. It is exciting trying to guess where Louella Mae has run off to next.
Melanie
Louella Mae is missing! She's run away! Look here, look there, look everywhere! Is she in the hay? Nope. How about the cornfield? Nope.

How about somewhere in the house? Maybe...

A hilarious story great for storytime.
Gail
Feb 01, 2010 Gail rated it really liked it
Oddly, I liked this. It's good for teaching rhyme, because the reader can guess what the rhyme is, and the answer is on the next page. It's a little precious, though, with the country dialect. The last page is a cute surprise.
The Brothers
A cute little rhyme about Louella Mae being missing and the family, friends, and neighbors running amok trying to find her. They end up finding her, but it turns out she never ran away. She was hiding at home in a tub because she's a...

Cute illustrations.
Andrea Estelle
Dec 13, 2011 Andrea Estelle rated it it was amazing
We had a riot with this book. I read it in a Kristen- Wieg-over-the-top type of voice and the boys thought it was hilarious. There was a good five minutes of laughter when we discovered who Louella Mae was on the last page. I bought this one for the library even though it is an older title.
Mar 03, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
This story in rhyme takes us on a hunt for a child (we assume) who has run off and is lost. Thanks to well-placed page turns, we're prompted to guess where she is. Bright folksy illustrations provide details about the setting and the characters. The surprise ending adds extra charm.
Ashlee Gibson
Apr 11, 2011 Ashlee Gibson rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
First off, I had no idea that Louella Mae was a pig into the end! I got a kick out of that! I thought a little girl ran away! This book has a lot of rhyming words. This book also gives students the opportunity to make predictions on various parts of the story.
Karen
Very cute read-aloud - I love a book that offers reader response. The ending was very cute - unfortunately, my little reader had read ahead and seen the ending before we got to it, so she spoiled it for me :)
Julie Suzanne
PERFECT for teaching and practicing the skill of hearing/predicting rhyme for preschoolers/kindergarteners.
Allison
Jun 16, 2009 Allison rated it liked it
Louella Mae has run away! Each page provides an oppertunity for children to come up with rhymes.
Sarah Stumphf
Nov 12, 2013 Sarah Stumphf rated it it was amazing
I love this book, because it rolls off your tongue as you read it aloud. Cute little book about searching with a twist at the end!
James Ramsey
May 17, 2013 James Ramsey rated it it was amazing
It has been one of my storytime favorites for years. A book that allows the kids to guess what is coming next. The clues are given in rhymes. Who is Louella Mae?
Kimberly
May 09, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody
Recommended to Kimberly by: Travis
Shelves: picture-books
One of my all time favorite kids read aloud books!!!
Lydia
Who is Louella May? So fun for prediction! Karen Beaumont does it again with all her fun!
Laura Molinario
Dec 09, 2016 Laura Molinario rated it really liked it
Picture Book
Leyla
May 10, 2013 Leyla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, jennifer
Loved it. Great for 4-year-olds although I think my daughter prefers deep stories but I insist in books with repetition and high-frequency words ...
Kitchengrrl
Jul 11, 2011 Kitchengrrl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute book, with a little guessing game for children to work on rhyming and predicting. My tutoring student enjoyed it.
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2008
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2017
Casey
Casey rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2014