Start by marking “Christmas in Noisy Village” as Want to Read:
Christmas in Noisy Village

Christmas in Noisy Village (Barnen i Bullerbyn #4)

Let the beloved author ofPippi Longstockingtake you on an adventure to Noisy Village!
The noisy children of three neighboring families are celebrating the season by baking cookies, cutting and decorating trees, eating fruitcake and tarts, and opening Christmas gifts.With illustrations by Ilon Wikland, the master storyteller Astrid Lindgren takes us through Christmas in the
Published October 29th 1981 by Puffin Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas in Noisy Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas in Noisy Village

Hilary
Apr 20, 2015 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers looking for Christmas stories
Lovely book. Traditional scandinavian Christmas. A look into their homes and lives.
Cheryl
Mar 08, 2017 Cheryl rated it really liked it
A treasure for fans, but no plot, no drama. Almost as sweet & rich as the treats described in the book.
Ann
3 1/2 stars
What I loved most about this book was the old-fashioned illustrations, the old-fashioned feel, and the old-fashioned celebration of Christmas. I adored the fact that the children received sleds and skates and skis for gifts and were outside right away playing with them. I also loved the close relationships everyone shared. The story, however, felt more like a collection of events, only tied together because it was Christmas. Which, is fine, but there really wasn't an overall story. Bu
ABC
Dec 06, 2009 ABC rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-kids
My book is a library book and it is British, and the title is "Christmas at Bullerby." (In Swedish, the village is called Bullerbyn.) I think it is basically the same as the American version, in which they changed the title to "Christmas at Noisy Village."

This is an adorable book about the lives of some close-knit Swedish children during the Christmas season. The illustrations are adorable. I do wish it had included the candles for St. Lucia's Day, a tradition unique to Sweden.

This is the sort
Apr 01, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This may well be my favorite Christmas book of all time (and believe me, we own an awful lot of them.) This is the stuff Christmas carols are written about.
Deirdre Keating
Jan 03, 2008 Deirdre Keating rated it it was amazing
Why do I love this book so much? Because the kids are real (and not perfect) but the holiday filled with family, creativity, and love is. Great illustrations---we hope to make a snowball latern this year, and find more of the Noisy Village books.
Esther May
Dec 15, 2016 Esther May rated it it was amazing
Cute Christmas book. I love the kids perspective in this book. It reminded me of Christmas when I was little.
Shawn Thrasher
Dec 19, 2013 Shawn Thrasher rated it liked it
No Pippi Longstocking to be found here (perhaps she's hiding out in the barn); just a children of a little Swedish village celebrating a beautiful, nostalgic, and sweet holiday. "Everything is so beautiful and Christmasy that it gives me a stomach-ache," said Anna. A sentiment that most of us can agree with whole-heartedly. Reminded me much of Shirley Hughes. I don't think you can close this book without thinking fondly of your own childhood Christmas memories. "Oh, isn't Christmas a jolly time? ...more
Johanna H.
May 29, 2014 Johanna H. rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourite Christmas Books as a Child and i still love it!
It just gives you this old fashioned Christmas feeling. . This is how you wish Christmas to be! It shows how it was celebrated in the past and it's so full of joy,snow, friends & family, candles, trees ,children, christmas dinner, Church, Baking, Gingerbread, slates and fun that you wish that Christmas never ends :) and it brings the old christmas feeling that you had as a child up again. .!
babyhippoface
I think this is the traditional Christmas we all secretly wish for somewhere deep down: romping in fields of snow, freshly-cut evergreens, baking gingersnaps, snowball lanterns, everything candle-lit, and surrounded by friends and family. The nice, old-fashioned feel to this book is what makes it so wonderful.
Jessica Rodrigues
Cute, nostalgic illustrations accompanied by a laundry list of Christmas activities. Not much of a plot to speak of, other than children enjoying Christmas. Nice for reading one-on-one with children; I don't see it going over well in a read-aloud group setting.

Amy Edwards
Dec 07, 2014 Amy Edwards rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
Cute, quick Christmas read. Lots of great Scandanavian touches in the illustrations--from the ginger snaps and the saffron buns to the painted-red, wooden candelabras and the toboggans. If only we had some snow to try making a snow lantern...
Shannon
Jan 09, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing
There is something extra super sweet about this book. It's one of our collection of Christmas books and I always want to read it over and over again when we have it out. Everything from the way the language moves to the illustrations is fabulous.
Megan
Dec 18, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
Have not yet bought an edition IN Swedish yet, unfortunately, but I bought this and a few other Christmas-y Astrid Linden books (Like the Tomten books) last year. Ah the memories!

Would love to get this and the Tomten books in Swedish editions!
Eva Leger
Dec 19, 2010 Eva Leger rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
This is an okay story - what kid doesn't like hearing a day in the life of another kid? Especially one that has kids having as much fun as this? This wouldn't make her (or my) top 100 list but it's was worth reading I think.
Aimee
Feb 20, 2014 Aimee rated it it was amazing
We read this each Christmas to get us excited about traditions we keep that are in line with the European traditions.
Roberta
Nov 26, 2012 Roberta rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas-books
This cute tale by Astrid Lindgren of Pippi Longstocking fame reminded me of the books of my youth. The illustrations were old-fashioned.
Helen
Dec 07, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing
Simple & enduring. A brilliant Christmas classic.
Sylvia
Apr 28, 2014 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-book, owned
A nice children's story in German about Christmas in Sweden by the author of the Pippi Longstocking books.
Maren Prestegaard
Nov 24, 2012 Maren Prestegaard rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Vintage in the best possible way. Made me remember Christmas as a child - big and fanciful.
"All those hours you have to wait for your Christmas presents are what turn your hair gray."
Teri
Dec 01, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it
Great story. Colorful, vibrant pictures. Great way to expose children to Christmas celebration in another country.
Pam
Dec 07, 2012 Pam rated it liked it
This tale of a traditional Christmas full of caroling, sledding, baking cookies and the like. The illustrations are full of cute children. While it is a sweet book, it is not one of my favorites.
Yaina
Yaina rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
Sofia
Sofia rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2011
Wilder
Wilder rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2009
Hey McFly
Hey McFly rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2013
Foodwise
Foodwise rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2011
Книжни Криле
Книжни Криле rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2017
Tone
Tone rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2012
Michelle Kessler
Michelle Kessler rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2013
  • The Christmas Wish
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Wombat Divine
  • Night Tree
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.

Awards:
Hans Christian Andersen Award
More about Astrid Lindgren...

Barnen i Bullerbyn (3 books)
  • The Children of Noisy Village