Start by marking “The Pursuit (The English Garden, #4)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Pursuit

Lori Wick

The Pursuit (The English Garden #4)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  3,057 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Edward Steele is sailing to England from Africa as Christmas of 1812 approaches. While at sea, he meets a gentleman named Denley and his servant, Osborne--actually a woman in disguse named Niki. When Denley takes ill, Edward offers his assistance before continuing on his way. Believing his unusual companions are forever behind him, he learns that God works in mysterious wa ...more
Published 2004 by Recorded Books (first published 2003)

Crystal
Oct 04, 2015 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I enjoyed this book more than the others in the series. It was nice getting a break from a female perspective intent on the love and marriage aspect. I enjoyed the "change of scenery" with it following Edward on his travels back home. The ship, new and unusual characters, along with the mystery of Osborne and Denley made this a much more intriguing story to me and I felt it wrapped up the series nicely. All of the characters were well written. I thoroughly enjoyed the adventures with Edw ...more
Danielle
1. Author’s Background
the author that wrote this book is Lori Wick. She was born on November 10th,1958. Lori Wick is the age 58 She has written more than 100 books and 39 novels of heart-warming romance. She writes really good books.
2. Literary Time Period
This book was about the 1800. where they had no wifi or nothing electronic. They had lanterns for the light and in the lanterns they had candles. They had to go on a ship instead of a plane to get somewhere far. So its basicly nothing like toda
Donna Bagby
May 05, 2017 Donna Bagby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, read-2017
The Pursuit Book 4

Ed Steele; Mr. Osbourne; Denley: Nicola (Niki) has been running from a frightening past disguised as a man to protect her two boys. She encounters Edward Steele while abroad who winds up assisting her. The story line is engaging and the boys are delightful. Niki finally realizes that she must take matters into her own hands and put an end to the running.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Time Period: 1812
Location: England
Kristin
In contrast to the previous three installments, this book focuses more on a male character. It also has more mystery. A fitting end to the series. I feel like we've sampled the life and times of various characters and families around this town.
Rochelle
"I can think of God as my savior and even my friend, but I must never forget that He is God, and after He saves me, I must put myself in subjection to Him and His will." pg. 66

This book was so good!

I recommend this series wholeheartedly!

Out of the four, this one had the most action and the least amount of romance. I sincerely wish that Lori Wick would've written a book for Henry! I would devour it immediately!

Tate and Cassandra had me literally laughing out loud, which is something I've done
Rachael
Jan 12, 2016 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heidi
Jun 01, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was the last in the English Garden series and was my favorite. The biggest reason? There was actually a bad guy and a mystery. The other three were "just" love stories where you go through the courtship of a couple you knew were going to end up married. This time when Edward met Niki you knew that something serious was going on but didn't know what. Then when you did find out what was going on you had to see how it was all going to play out. There was more to the story than wondering how lo ...more
Judine
To be honest, I loved this book until the Epilogue, which just tried to wrap up too much. Edward and Niki's romance was beautiful and I'm delighted she took the trouble to show a widow with children doubting her ability to remarry. However, jumping ahead 12 years in the epilogue left me feeling unsatisfied with the ending. I also thought the newly married Steele sisters' storylines could have been wrapped up better than they were in the epilogue - a year later would have been much more appropria ...more
Deana
I was desperate for a good relaxing read and the library was closing so I just looked for what looked like a good book near where I was standing! This cover was pretty and I read the back cover and it sounded like it could be good. It begins with mystery and adventure and ends with lots of romance. It was a perfect book for what I wanted. It is also a little religious. Overall I loved it. The main character is dealing with a big problem and when she finally shares her burden it becomes bearable! ...more
L8blmr
Aug 07, 2012 L8blmr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a gift and my first book by this author. I did not know it was part of a series until I was already into it. There was a lot of jumping around from one couple to another, which readers of the whole series probably enjoyed, but it was distracting to me. Otherwise, it was a light, easy read, but I doubt I will be seeking out other books by this writer.
Jackie Wolfred
I just finished the final installment of "The English Garden" series, called "The Pursuit". I enjoyed all four books, set in the early 1800's. Easy to read, lovely messages and illustrations of one's faith in God.
Marilize
This series seems to be improving with each book.

This book actually had a good plot, with some excitement and mystery thrown in. And the children in this book were less sugary-sweet than children in previous books.
Tanya Thumbran christ
Enjoyed this book so much even though I've not read the 3 sequels prior to it. It's good on its own as well. An entertaining love story with its share of drama ans suspense. would definitely seek out Lori's work going forward.
Naomi
Aug 06, 2012 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty good, had a good message. For the most part it was written well, there were some cheesy moments, and some oddly written dialogue at times, but other than that it was pretty good. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone.
Kristelle
Feb 09, 2009 Kristelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I think this was the best of the four. The added mystery was great and the characters were ones that I already knew and loved. My only dissappointment was that there were a few characters she left out of the ending that I would have loved to have known what their lives were like.
Christine
The story was good but the author keeps adding characters with each book and none of them go away. By book 4 you have to think too hard as to who had what story in the previous books (and I read them all in a a week!!)
Barbara
I gave up on this boring romance on page 70, after Edward Steele (brother of Cassandra of "The Visitor") finds a woman, Niki, posing as a man on a cruise to Lisbon, Portugal. All the intrigue in the world couldn't make me keep my eyes open through this book.
Cws
Feb 06, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jf
JF-YAWic
Dec 29, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As all book series by Lori Wick, I loved it. Definitely nice, fluffy, light reads, that take you to another time and place. When I need to escape, a Lori Wick series is in order.
Cassandra
Apr 02, 2011 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I liked this book because it displayed a good sense of the ridiculous without detracting from the main story the characters were fun and I thought the story itself was a good one.
Susan
Sep 15, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2 1/2 stars. This was the most preachy of them all. It was very slow in most other areas and just super preachy. Not that great.
Johazel Ehnes
Jan 02, 2017 Johazel Ehnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book in the English Garden Series. Lori Wick did an outstanding job. I liked best the way these books show that there are families that really care for one another. How wonderful!
Massanutten Regional Library
Edna, Village patron, June 2015, 4 stars:

Last in the series and very charming...loved how she skipped ten years ahead to what all the families were doing.
A Lee
May 06, 2013 A Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad to see the series ending... But as always happy that the book was great as usual!
Tolu
Jun 28, 2013 Tolu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is lyk my best novel so far
Grace
Jan 03, 2011 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Series!!!
Eileen Bartsch
Dec 16, 2015 Eileen Bartsch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eileen
Partridge Public
Nov 09, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wick INSP
Shelves: inspirational
Wick, Lori PB
Jody
Mar 24, 2012 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great finish to the series. but the last chapter just kinda jumped several years (12 or so) with no warning!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 18, 2014 09:51AM
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • Deirdre (Fires of Gleannmara, #3)
  • Sweet Violet (English Ivy, #3)
  • New Mexico Sunrise: Faith and Love Hold Generations Together in Four Complete Novels
  • The Meeting Place (Song of Acadia, #1)
  • True Honor (Uncommon Heroes #3)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...

The English Garden (4 books)
  • The Proposal (The English Garden, #1)
  • The Rescue (The English Garden, #2)
  • The Visitor (The English Garden, #3)

“I can think of God as my savior and even my friend, but I must never forget that He is God, and after He saves me, I must put myself in subjection to Him and His will.” 3 likes