Start by marking “The Monster Men” as Want to Read:
The Monster Men
read book* *Different edition

The Monster Men

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Man, monster, or jungle god?

They called him Number Thirteen, the latest and best of Dr. von Horn's attempts to make life from lifeless chemicals. He became aware of himself as an almos-human on von Horn's secret jungle island off the coast of Borneo. He saw the monsters that had preceded him and grew used to those dreadful travesties of humanity.

Not until Number Thirteen m
155 pages
Published (first published November 1913)

To ask other readers questions about The Monster Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster Men

Robert

Perhaps this pulp would have been more fun without all the racisim and super manly-man hero. Still, the opening chapter to this book has some nice images of horror to it. After that point, meh...
Karl Kindt
Great pulp fun from the master. Picture Frankenstein mixed with Tarzan...that is the bizarre concoction that is THE MONSTER MEN. The best thing about reading this over most of ERB novels is that you only need to read one and not feel committed to a series. Those who know Tarzan and his Mars series and would rather avoid those because they feel they already know the story but want to try ERB would do well to read this. ERB's style is in as good a form as it is in those series, so go ahead and spe ...more
Nathan Langford
His usual style of writing that is not one of main characters. Although I give it one star, I do say I enjoy the fact his 'good guys' are 'good' and 'honorable' without hesitation. And I keep reading his stuff.

I see this book as a Frankenstein/Dr. Moreau cross. And it is interesting that this is really a look at the idea of eugenics which were a hot issue or topic during the time the book was written. It also can be considered as an early look at 'test tube' babies and 'cloning'.
jayson
This book was absolutely over the top crazy Burroughs. It kind of wanders all over the place "but hey!, it has monsters, pirates, girls in distress, scheming bad people and mad scientists. Not my fav Burroughs by far but a fun read. Might appeal to those who read enough Burroughs to get into stuff like Pirate Blood and the Mucker.
Michael
Das ist das das schlechtest geschriebene Buch von ERB, das ich bisher gelesen habe. Die reinste Rumpelkiste, in der brauchbare Ideen im erzählerischen Fiasko untergehen.
Und das Schlimmste: entgegen jahrzehntelanger Tradition habe ich bei diesem Urlaub keine anderen Bücher mitgenommen. Na, dann frohe Festtage!
Neil Davies
Despite the sci fi/horror setup with its echoes of Frankenstein and The Island Of Doctor Moreau this is above all else a very good adventure story. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Charles
This is ERB's answer to "The Island of Dr. Moreau." I have a hardback version from Grossett and Dunlap. It's very strong, I thought.
Steven Harbin
Review of The Monster Men by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Fans of Edgar Rice Burroughs are both legion and loyal, as evidenced by the long lasting popularity of his characters. Tarzan of course is his most famous character, and John Carter of Mars (and Virginia) was the main character of a recent poorly marketed (but I thought still well done) Disney film. However Burroughs was an extremely prolific author, who wrote a lot more than just Tarzan and Martian stories. One of his earliest efforts was this ad
wally
17 chapters, 1st one, "the rift" and the 1st sentence:
as he dropped the last grisly fragment of the dismembered and mutilated body into the small vat of nitric acid that was to devour every trace of the horrid evidence which might easily send him to the gallows, the man sank weakly into a chair and throwing his body forward upon his great, teak desk buried his face in his arms, breaking into dry, moaning sobs.

i know the feeling...can't help but empathize. onward and upward.

okay...two chapters re
Daniel Robey
 TheGriffinReads
With no Tarzan or John Carter, Edgar Rice Burroughs explores philosophy and science fiction with pirates, star-crossed lovers, failed experiments and an exotic island filled with natives and their magic. The Monster Men mashes up The Island of Dr. Moreau and Shakespeare’s The Tempest to pair his protagonist, monster-man, with , the daughter of brilliant scientist, .
Where Tarzan and John Carter adventures build cyclically with an obvious break between “installments” when read, The Monster Men rol
Mary Catelli
This is one of his stand-alones. It takes place in southeast Asia, with savage tribes and monstrous orangutans in his usual style on Earth (as contrasted to under Earth as well as on Mars) -- except that a major factor in it is that a character is a Mad Scientist, out to Create Life, which shifts it into science fiction as least as much as H. G. Wells's The Island of Dr. Moreau.

It opens with Professor Maxon destroying the corpse of a malformed humanoid -- close enough to look human -- that had l
Bob
I'm currently trying to read some old-time sci fi to round out my sci fi knowledge, so I got this somewhat on a whim. To my modern sci-fi reading experience, this seemed like a rather odd little book, especially considering the ending. I enjoyed it overall, though.

It has the old-fashioned swashbuckling heroic male saves helpless maiden-in-distress adventure, which isn't my style but I know it was the style of the time so I'll forgive it. Nearing the end I thought it was going to be a fascinating
William Stafford
An old-fashioned adventure with the emphasis on old-fashioned. It's a sort of Tarzan on the Island of Dr Moreau mash-up and a quick read thanks to Burroughs's clear and economical style. You wouldn't get away with racial stereotypes like the 'inscrutable Chinaman' today; the world has moved on since this book was written. Taken at face value, this is a diverting, fast-moving tale with some meditations on the nature of what makes humans human.
Stutley Constable
This story seems to be a sort of 'salmagundi' of classic and well tried Burroughs elements. 'Synthetic Men of Mars' meets 'Tarzan' and a few tricks thrown in for good measure.

I read this the first time when I was in high school and as a geeky kid that was something of an outsider I really identified with this tale of adventure. I wanted to be the hero of this story and face the challenges to earn the rewards. Unfortunately, I was just a geeky high school kid with the challenges of a Midwestern
karen westcott
Not one of his best...

with a predictable ending, this book is an ok read. would have
enjoyed it more if the ending had been different.
Shawn
The first ERB book that I haven't enjoyed. This was just pure drivel. Totally interchangeable characters, you could have put any names to the people in this book and it wouldn't have changed anything. You cannot identify or even care about any of them, they are just names put into a plot. And the plot is awful, what I thought would be a good adventure involving science versus nature turned into a book full of chases involving pirates and headhunters...ugh, just bad.
Jenee
OK so not the best ERB story but I did like it better than The Moon Maid. This book took me forever to finish just because it was difficult to get into. But it picked up towards the end and had a weak but cute ending. I love ERB books because the leading men are always unrealistically brave and strong, and there's nothing wrong with a good old damsel in distress scenario.
Jim
An exciting adventure by Tarzan author Edgar Rice Burroughs. A mad scientist creating monsters. A chase in a jungle. Headhunters--and orang utans. One of my favorites of all ERB's books. Read it back in elementary school and find I still enjoy it today!
Alan
An unusual work, for Burroughs. Much more horror/sci-fi than his normal adventure works. I thought that he was going to make an interesting observation/comment on what makes a human, but in the end, Burroughs decides to keep it simple and easy.
Wade Corbeil
A great adventure novel full of twists and a warning of what happens when man tries to assume the role of God by creating life.
Kristy
Burroughs is in top form in this one-off horror/science fiction/adventure story. Why did they never make this one into a movie?
Julie
Started off as fairly interesting but rapidly deteriorated and I completely lost interest half way through.
Shawn Nelson

A Frankenstein tale with a romantic adventure twist. An enjoyable read but nothing to rave about.
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/96/96-...
Jeremy Brooks
Great pulp. ERB doing what he does best here.
Bridgette Schadek
Bridgette Schadek marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
  • Dwellers in the Mirage
  • Almuric
  • Skylark Three
  • The Defiant Agents (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #3)
  • Dare
  • Gulliver of Mars
  • The Wonderful Visit
  • The Lone Star Ranger
  • The Rituals of Infinity
  • The Prince (Falkenberg's Legion, #1-4)
  • Cross The Stars (Hammer's Slammers, #1)
  • Planets of Adventure
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • The Man Who Counts
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • The Hand of Fu-Manchu
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1) The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2) The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)

“As he dropped the last grisly fragment of the dismembered and mutilated body into the small vat of nitric acid that was to devour every trace of the horrid evidence which might easily send him to the gallows, the man sank weakly into a chair and throwing his body forward upon his great, teak desk buried his face in his arms, breaking into dry, moaning sobs.” 2 likes