Pearls Are a Nuisance

Pearls Are a Nuisance

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Raymond Chandler. Pearls Are a Nuisance. London: Hamish Hamilton, [1958]. First UK edition. Octavo. 190 page. Publisher's binding and dust jacket with 7s. 6d net price.
199 pages
Published June 1st 1969 by Penguin (first published 1950)

Matt Smith
Three stars for this book, 2 1/2 if I'm honest. As a fan of Raymond Chandler, I feel inclined to explain...

Pearls are a Nuisance is a collection of three pulp stories, followed by an essay on the 'art' of writing said stories. As pulp stories, they aren't intended to be all that good. In fact, ol' Ray spends the first ten pages explaining that these stories are as terrible as they should be. He's right.

The first story, 'Pearls are a Nuisance', are about a young man named Walter Gage who incompet...more
Mel
The first short story in this collection of three, Pearls are a nuisance, was brilliant. The characterisation was just so sweet and wonderful, not something one usually expects from hard boiled pulp detective stories. But the main character, a large guy with a drinking problem who was sweet and soft, rather than tough and hard, was lovely. Everyone teased him for talking like Jane Austen rather than a detective. He acquired a side-kick, who his girlfriend had accused of taking the pearls, becaus...more
Andrew
This is a collection of three short stories and one essay. All of which were enjoyable, but not particularly memorable.

In "Pearls Are A Nuisance" a society gentlemen is asked by his fiancee to investigate some stolen pearls. He gets mixed up with the suspect and amidst a lot of drinking they try to solve the case together. It's a slight story, with a couple of surprises, and the less 'realistic' of the three.

I haven't the book with me and I can't remember much of the second story, but I did enjo...more
Bob
Three short stories with three different detectives. In general it's nice early work by Chandler. A couple of the pieces of the plot are a little thin, which is ironic because of Chandler's essay at the end of the book which comments on the problems with other people's murder/detective stories.
Simone Davies
I can remember reading this when i was about 13 and thinking "Oh my god, this would make an amazingmovie..." Imagine my disapointment when I discovered the whole of Hollywood had the same idea, several times over. We must be due a new adaptation soon.
Kommienezuspadt
First two stories are great. Last one I lost my way in a now I've no idea what's goin on. There's a dead guy in pajamas with a trumpet, and a dead girl, and a framed lad called Steve (alive) and a vampish moll, and.....a little help here?
Of Cake and Science
I enjoyed the three stories but found the language very difficult to decipher, in that I couldn't understand what people were talking about half the time (colloquial 1940's California speak)
Roshni
Short stories by Raymond Chandler, not as good as the Marlowe stories, but still an entertaining read.
Bernd
Solid classic crime story, the model for the film noir genre with Humphrey Bogart.
Small Creek
It's all a bit...gay, really. Oh, you men. ;)
Paula Calhau Silvestre
As Pérolas são um Incómodo
Circulo Leitores
Joe Pinney
Joe Pinney marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
M.D.
M.D. marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Aniket Deshmukh
Aniket Deshmukh is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Kathrine
Kathrine marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Allan
Allan added it
May 13, 2014
Mozilla
Mozilla marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Brynn
Brynn marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Momo Fliez
Momo Fliez is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Raymond Thornton Chandler was an American novelist and screenwriter.

In 1932, at age forty-four, Raymond Chandler decided to become a detective fiction writer after losing his job as an oil company executive during the Depression. His first short story, "Blackmailers Don't Shoot", was published in 1933 in Black Mask, a popular pulp magazine. His first novel, The Big Sleep, was published in 1939. In...more
More about Raymond Chandler...
The Big Sleep The Long Goodbye Farewell, My Lovely The Lady in the Lake The High Window

“He snorted and hit me in the solar plexus. I bent over and took hold of the room with both hands and spun it. When I had it nicely spinning I gave it a full swing and hit myself on the back of the head with the floor.” 35 likes
“A writer who is afraid to overreach himself is as useless as a general who is afraid to be wrong.” 31 likes