Mediterranean Women Stay Slim, Too: Eating to Be Sexy, Fit, and Fabulous!

Mediterranean Women Stay Slim, Too: Eating to Be Sexy, Fit, and Fabulous!

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Mediterranean women live lives free from empty calories, empty diet promises, impossible standards, and a "say no to food" mentality. Thanks to the influence of cooking lessons in her Italian grandmother's kitchen, Melissa Kelly, co-owner and executive chef of Primo Restaurant, has learned how every woman can extract the essence of the Mediterranean spirit and make it uniq...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mediterranean Women Stay Slim, Too, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mediterranean Women Stay Slim, Too

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Having lived near the Mediterranean for the past 30+ years, I take umbrage at quite so many stereotypes--and that's just the title. Even 30 years ago, when most women here a) did not work outside the home after marriage b) went shopping every day or two for fresh ingredients, and everything was home cooked, there were plenty of what I called then "tube women"--usually "of a certain age", they were simply cylindrical in shape from the chest down. Round. Roly-poly, i.e.: overweight. Now, they're n...more
Bloodorange
Jul 23, 2014 Bloodorange rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who follow Mediterranean diet
I have recently started following Mediterranean diet in an attempt to eat more vegetables in a structured manner (I tend to default to bread and meat when I have no idea what to eat), and grabbed this book to get more information. The authors seem to focus on Italy first, and European Mediterranean countries second, and while they assume their reader may have never tried plain yogurt (really), they give quite detailed information on types of herbs, grains, spices typical for different Mediterran...more
Patricia
I've successfully cut back on the reading of diet books, something of a hidden addiction for me. But I seem to have not actually divested myself from books that are about being slim and still eating good food. It isn't such a bad thing. This book has a lot of good recipes and points. However, its tone can be slightly grating. It is clear from the text that the author grew up in a family that valued food and the communal ritual of eating food together. Today, the author runs a restaurant where sh...more
Cara
I loved reading this book and all of it's recipes! It reminded me of my good friend, Carol, who follows so many of the book's suggestions already.
- Be a "food snob," i.e., don't waste time or calories on anything but good food!
- Be picky. Why eat something that doesn't fill you with pleasure?
- Slow down.
- Shun fast food. (easy for me)
- Buy local.
- Go organic. ($$$$$)
- Pay attention to portion control. (okay, this one is NOT me)
- Move it or lose it!

I really enjoy foor, but especially Medi...more
Jenny
In my quest to learn more about health food and exercise, I picked this book up. I enjoyed the French Women Don't get Fat, but this book did not tell me anything I did not know from other books I have read. The book did make me hungry. These people are OBSESSED with garlic, olive oil, and vegetables. I like the first two a lot and I am working on the veggies.

The book was mostly recipes, and not the meaty information I was looking for. If you are going to read this type of book, read the French...more
Mariana Gates
The author's passion and enthusiasm for the Mediterranean way of life shone through. It's infectious and on every level she is right. I loved this book so much, that I created a cooking course based on the Med diet but more than anything the Med way of living in wherever is your part of the world. The two go hand in hand; living and eating the Med Way. Too many people skip the 'living' bit and just go to the eating. Wrong! Melissa is spot on. Loved the book.
Gina
Apr 27, 2010 Gina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rozzanna
I recently saw Primo chef/owner Melissa Kelly on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, and I wanted to give this book a perusal because of her "from the land" viewpoint.

In short, this book is a cross between French Women Don't Get Fat and A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table (by Orangette blogger). It's a mix of personal accounts and recipes, however, there are far more recipes in this book than the other two combined.
Tricia
Not much different than the Guiliano (French Women) books in concept, but the author is younger and a chef, so her voice was refreshing. The recipes, however, were not extraordinary nor anything that I could see making on a regular basis. Perhaps grounded too much in traditional Mediterranean meals. Overall lovely, but not a keeper.
Julie Miller
The recipes look good, but I probably will never make any of them. Some crazy ingredients. The author irritated me more than inspired me. In general, I agree that simple and natural is the best way to eat; but she assumes I have way more time to shop/cook/eat than I do.
Emily Crow
Kind of a copycat of "French Women Don't Get Fat" (well, we knew that from the title), and inferior to that book. It's not horrible, though. The advice isn't bad, it just isn't anything different. Some of the recipes look good.
Alix Love
This was a bit disappointing. The premise and main messages were very similar to what was in French Women, but they were not as convincing or interesting. The recipes are pretty good, however some are too lengthy.
Amanda
Jan 11, 2008 Amanda is currently reading it
So far I love it because it gives me even more reasons to drink good red wine and eat what I like!
Terri A. Wilson
Some great recipes.
Snježana
Snježana marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
May 17, 2014
Susan Baker
Susan Baker marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Cate.g
Cate.g added it
Apr 03, 2014
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Alicia
Alicia added it
Apr 10, 2014
Monica Willyard
Monica Willyard marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Penny Gunther
Penny Gunther marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Everything New Teacher Book: Increase Your Confidence, Connect with Your Students, and Deal with the Unexpected The Everything New Teacher Book: A Survival Guide for the First Year and Beyond (Everything Series) 180 Tips and Tricks for New Teachers The Moon for Kids - Fun Facts & Pictures All About the Moon, Its Phases, and Our Exploration of It The Everything New Teacher Book: A Survival Guide for the First Year and Beyond