Start by marking “Touching Peace: Practicing the Art of Mindful Living” as Want to Read:
Touching Peace: Practicing the Art of Mindful Living

Touching Peace: Practicing the Art of Mindful Living

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  512 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The sensitivity and truths revealed by this Zen master, poet and peace advocate are touching and elegantly communicated in these wonderful tapes.
Published November 1st 2009 by Parallax Press (first published December 31st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Touching Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touching Peace

A.H. Haar
Nov 08, 2014 A.H. Haar rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to A.H. by: D.
Shelves: favorites, buddhism
Things find their way into my life at the most perfect times. This book made its way to me, traveling seven hundred and some odd miles from central CA to Northern Oregon, on the very day that I was ready for it. In the middle of a snow storm at that! The perfect time to stay in and reflect.

I didn't get far. I've read the first chapter three times. I'm drinking it in, letting it soak and reach the roots of my heart. The first chapter is called Life is a Miracle, and in it Thich Nhat Hahn talks a
Jonathan
The language and topics here were very accessible, and used language that can help to break down internal barriers in a very productive, practical way. I think the only qualm (which isn't quite the right word, but the closest I can find right now), I might have with the book as a whole is a sense of "Grounded idealism."

The truth of the compact and insights within the pages is that it takes people collectively adjusting, and collectively working on both their own, and one another's, "highest goo
Myridian
This is the first book of Thich Nhat Hanh's that I ever read and I fell in love. I don't remember how old I was (I think I was in high school). What I do remember is feeling as if my view of my life and the world had shifted and slowed down in a way that allowed me to really see things. It was a profound experience and one for which I will forever be grateful.
J
I highly recommend listening to this because Thich Nhat Hanh's voice is almost the best part of the experience; both words and voice are calming, soothing, relaxing, and keep bringing you back to mindfulness. Would be very relaxing to put on before you go to sleep.....
Nais
an easy 'simple' read
if you find yourself, frustrated-feeling stuck in life-can't seem to find some peace-soul constantly seeking answers- worried- flustered-feeling negative- wanting to find some clarity and peace of mind, then this is good for you.

a jist of what you would be reading:
there's a chapter in the book about him discussing how he sits in front of a tree and talks to it. its simple stuff, but deep in it's value and substance.

I find this to be a good book to read any time you need to "
Mary Davis de Perez
Typical self-help about practiving mindfulness, meditating daily and showing love through action. Lead by example.
George
Great book on mindfulness.
Katina
A lovely, and yes, peaceful book on mindfulness. I enjoyed reading it before bed and will seek out more of Thich Nhat Hanh's writing. Some of his anecdotes are very poignant and I think they will stay with me and, hopefully, transform my mindset and thoughts. At other times, some illustrations about how things work in his community were a little over the top for me and unrealistic. That said, I am inspired to do some more research and God willing, actually become adept at mediation at some point ...more
I really liked the beginning chapters that teach mindful practices. "Breathing in, I am aware of my heart. Breathing out, I smile to my heart." I loved his description of his hugging meditation practice. A beautiful man who teaches us how to touch peace.

"The miracle is not to walk on this air or water, but to walk on earth. The earth is so beautiful. We are beautiful also." A short book, but should be read slowly as to absorb the teachings and meditations.
Don Weidinger
how to bring love, compassion, and inner peace into your daily life by Thich Nhat Hanh: Buddha one who is awake, happiness peace joy in present moment, enter Kingdom of God, forgetfulness and guilt, cycles of suffering and abuse, what have you done with your flower, love and understanding to relieve suffering, consciousness, calm telephone meditation, about being present for the journey.
Lindsay
I read this book more than 10 years ago for a social psychology class and based on a variety of factors in my life at the moment determined it was about time to pick it back up again. "Life is found only in the present moment." Certainly not remarkable or poetic writing, but simple and profound teaching.
Aleisha
Extraordinary! It may sound dramatic to say "This book changed my life"....but it did. The principles taught are meaningful and wise. Hanh helped shift my perspective to important things, like compassion and gratitude. Thich Nhat Hanh, a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, has a beautiful soul.
zenbren
Beautiful sentiments and a recipe for a fulfilling, mindful and enriched life. I admire the Buddhist philosophy and believe that this Zen Master is truly inspired in his teachings. This book will leave you smiling,with a lighter heart and a desire to make your life matter in the right ways.
Elsa Butler
Thich Nhat Hanh is my favorite gentle monk from Vietnam. If you ever need a Zen master, he is your man. He shares important lessons about living mindfully, very useful ideas to think about if you live in a busy city or frequently experience stress.
Dkagape
My third book adventure with Thich Nhah Hanh and he never gets old to me. Especially loved his thoughts on mindfulness trainings, sangha/community building, and our ultimate reality. Highly recommend!
Jen
HA. I finally finished this book.

This is the kind of book that you need to read slowly and thoughtfully . . . and I'm just not good at that. So I think it took me like half a year to read. LOL.
Yuki
I don't know why I keep reading his books because I end up reading the same things over and over but I still find it helpful, probably that is why...
Lia Hulit
Short, easy read that should be digested with a little more thinking time. Made me want to learn more about mindfulness practices and Buddhism.
Cat
When the darkness of this world threatens to overwhelm you, this beautiful book by a Vietnamese Buddhist monk is the antidote.
Lisa
"read" this years ago. one of my crazy exes stole it. may she be reincarnated as a hippopatamus boil.
Kayleigh
A wonderful, practical guidebook to living by TNH. Love it.
David Burton
It is beautiful. Please read. I have three times and will do again.
Justin
Its short and clear. Its a great work to start off the new years.
Willow
Ah you are here now love it, it is all that we have
Ellie Braconi
Amazing following Being Peace in my mindfulness journey.
Grace
I return to this book often. It can ease a troubled mind.
Celest
I always come back to this book for focus
Nina
Anything this monk touches is gold.
Dustin
Decent little book.
  • Meditation in Action
  • The Four Noble Truths
  • The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Nothing Special
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
  • It's Up to You: The Practice of Self-Reflection on the Buddhist Path
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Digha Nikaya
  • Practicing Peace in Times of War
  • The Story of Buddhism: A Concise Guide to Its History & Teachings
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • The Barn at the End of the World: The Apprenticeship of a Quaker, Buddhist Shepherd
  • The Words of Gandhi
  • Shoes Outside the Door: Desire, Devotion, and Excess at San Francisco Zen Center
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace

“Keeping your body healthy is an expression of gratitude to the whole cosmos — the trees, the clouds, everything.” 189 likes
“To live in the present moment is a miracle. The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green Earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.” 68 likes