Start by marking “Sepulchre” as Want to Read:
Sepulchre

Sepulchre

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,216 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
There is a house called Neath that holds a dark and terrible secret. In that house there is a psychic called Kline who is part of its secret. The Keeper is guardian of the house, of the psychic, and of the secret. But now an outsider must protect them from a terrible danger. Halloran will combat men who thrive on physical corruptions; he will find love of a perverse nature ...more
Published 1988 by New English Library (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Sepulchre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sepulchre

Bandit
Aug 17, 2013 Bandit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty excellent. Classic Herbert, a very dark intense story with an added bonus of ancient sumerian secrets. The real strengths of this book are Herbert's trademarks of a nicely developed backstory and detailed and interesting character backgrounds. It's basically the opposite of lazy horror writing, you know the one where someone goes into the woods and something terrible happens or someone moves to a small town and something terrible happens. Herbert wrote genuinely original horror. ...more
Mark Warner
A good book, true horror...set up well, interesting folks coming and going...a little lesson in fictitious ancient history...some truly frightening imagery, nicely done...with a neat tie in to modern religion, which is always nice.
all in all a good, tight ending, rare in horror and a treat. Didn't really scare the bejeezus out of me though...no worries about nightmares waiting after that last page and lights out. Ah well, still a good book, reminds me of Stephen King...
Dark-Draco
Oct 13, 2014 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
As I was reading this, I had a strange impression that I 'knew' the character of Liam Halloran - off course, it is a 'typical' Irish name, so might have been used by another author, but that co-incidence kept distracting me from the book. Anyway, the story itself was ok - a security firm are hired to protect a 'mystic', who believes he is in danger, but doesn't know from what. Although sceptical, they go ahead with the job because of the money. Liam is the operative on close protection, but ends ...more
Benjamin
Dec 28, 2015 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liam Halloran is an operative for a business that provides security for persons with a high potential for being the victims of a kidnapping. His client is a "mystic" who is at the center of the long success of a major multinational corporation. This is a straight-ahead horror story, so those who don't like horror should avoid it. Also, those who prefer their horror along the lines of Shirley Jackson or Outer Limits should avoid it. There is relentless ferocity to Herbert's story-telling, however ...more
David
James Herbert's Sepulchre is a good effort at combining the action/adventure/thriller with paranormal horror. Not frightening in the sense most would take the emotion today, but a good, slow-moving character study.

Very much a British entry and because of this the reader should expect lots of atmosphere.

Worth a look.
Shubham Srivastava
Nice thrills & chills with a good ending...It was quite good for my first Herbert Book..Cheers
Warren Stalley
Feb 15, 2014 Warren Stalley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read many of James Herbert's books over the years and this novel pulls you in so easily that you can sometimes forget how talented a writer he was. A bodyguard called Halloran is given a job to protect the mysterious Felix Kline. Soon strange things start happening and they retreat to Kline's remote country mansion Neath where unnatural things creep into the locked down estate.

The sense of unease just grows as Herbert writes in flowing passages of pure beauty and terror. This is a first cla
Dreadlocksmile
Apr 13, 2009 Dreadlocksmile rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Herbert has managed to produce another outstanding novel here, with a dark tale of corruption and despair. Admittedly, the characterisation isn't the greatest aspect of the novel, as you never really get to feel anything for any of the principal characters, but this does not subtract from the novel as much as one would think. The book races by with a jam packed plot that will truly leave you not wanting to put the book down.

There was an extra chapter that was removed from the novel by Herbert hi
Rachael Dixon
Jan 11, 2015 Rachael Dixon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Typical Herbert novel where he lets you get inside the heads of multiple characters, which I particularly like.

I loved the references to the Sumerians, and I thought all of the storyline's angles made for an interesting premise.

I wasn't so keen on the whole Halloran and Cora relationship. I was never fully convinced by Cora's character and at times I found her a little bit irritating, I cant help but wonder if the book might have been better without her.

Sometimes the story seemed a little slow
Martin Belcher
I really tried my best to like this book and failed, it was okay, just not what I was expecting. A crazy mix of IRA 1980's terrorism, London companies and ancient Sumerian legends. Bit strange. Three stars.
Deanne
Aug 02, 2014 Deanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Classic horror from James Herbert, read in one night because I just wanted to know how it would all end.
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Really enjoyed this.
Trisha
Feb 21, 2015 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, horror
Felix Kline bezit krachten die hij aanwent voor zijn werkgever. Kline is voor miljoenen verzekerd, maar nu loopt hij gevaar.
Liam Holloran wordt ingehuurd om Kine te beschermen. Holloran heeft echter nog nooit zo een veel eisend persoon beschermd. Als Kline dan opeens tekenen van verval gaat vertonen, beseft Holloran dat Kline heel veel dingen achter houdt en dat de krachten waartegen Kline beschermt moet worden meer zijn dan mensen alleen. Het leven pakt namelijk wat zij vindt dat ze verdient.
Sally Daffarn
May 18, 2015 Sally Daffarn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I only listened to this book because I had really enjoyed The Secret Of Crickley Hall. This is the most violent, confusing, book I have ever read. There were too many people, too much fighting to compensate for the magic I was hoping for. Ghost stories I can cope with but this was just violence with no definable story. I listened to the end to try to understand but I don't. I hope I never read another book like this again ever.
Alexander Draganov
Not bad like "The Spear", but not great like "The Fog" either. A nice occult thriller with some interesting mythology. It lacks urgency and strong plot to make it a must, but if you are in the mood of some nice little horror to read in the weekends, it's not a bad choice.
Review in Bulgarian here:
Adam Wilson
"There is a house that holds a dreadful secret. "The Keeper", the psychic and the
secret serve a force which threatens mankind itself." This is a breif description of Sepulchre by James Herbert. This is the ninth novel of Herbert's that I've read, and this was my least favorite. I liked it, and respect it for it's story and complexity, but I just didn't get into it that much. I would find my mind wandering while trying to read it. I kept getting confused by certain things in the novel and had to
Flyss Williams
A massive corporation hires operatives from a kidnap rescue firm to protect an "asset" why are they so keen to protect him, from what danger and why are they so tight lipped about exactly what he does for the company?
Robert
Feb 29, 2012 Robert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. Sometimes I switch from audiobook to eyeball book because I am really digging a book and don't want to miss any. In this case I switched because it had gotten so muddled I needed the eyeballs to try and hold it together. Didn't work. This author is, maybe, England's Stephen King? Terrible disservice to King, even though I haven't read any of his since the Talisman. King's work has depth! Sepulchre is shallow, formulaic dreck. I challenge anyone to read through the swamp of villain's explica ...more
Steve
Apr 22, 2014 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. Predictable in some ways, but for an early effort on Herbert's part, pretty good.
D.M. Kirtaime
Mar 27, 2015 D.M. Kirtaime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During my Army days I snapped up Koontz, King and Herbert as soon as titles became available.
Roy Bright
Jul 08, 2014 Roy Bright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite possibly James Herberts creepiest book - fantastic stuff.
Melissa Bennett
Jan 14, 2014 Melissa Bennett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few of James Herbert's books and enjoyed them. Was very excited to read another one. This was definitely a disappointment. I was so utterly bored through 97% of this book. I had no care for the characters and it was a struggle just to finish it. But I did and was rewarded with the last 3%. That was when it got exciting and then next thing you know it ended. I would not recommend this book. If you want to read any of Herbert's work I would go with Fluke, The Magic Cottage, The Fog (al ...more
Tim
May 05, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
As a general rule I don't "do" horror movies or books, but this one for some reason caught my eye. I like to pick up the odd wayward tome from the library shelves and test the waters. In the end I rather enjoyed it, were I more of a horror genre type of person it may have received more stars but with me Herbert is fighting an uphill battle as said, horror isn't my thing.

But a complex plot and wide variety of characters all written at good pace and well worth the read.
Lainy
Jun 11, 2014 Lainy rated it it was ok
review to follow
Kevin
Aug 02, 2007 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a very tautly written novel. Well-paced with a grizzly plot and great antihero main character. However, it's really gruesome. That's saying a lot for me but honestly I felt like I was doing something illegal when I read it. Same experience I had with "The Damnation Game" by Clive Barker...I felt dirty afterwards. The difference is that with "The Damnation Game" I wanted to keep feeling dirty. With Sepulchre I needed a shore.
Chris Mawbey
This must be one of the few James Herbert books that I couldn't remember much about. The story premise is detailed enough without getting in the way of the action. The characters are a bit thin and bordering on stereotypical, and this isn't helped by the fact that one of the sub-plots is a bit dated now. All in all though, if you're looking for some good old British horror, it's still an entertaining read.
Matt
Feb 22, 2012 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had always thought of Herbert as a poor-mans Stephen King - I was very wrong.
Really weak plot and really bad writing. I only read it because after listing all the read books in my library on Goodreads, I realised I have a massive pile which are unread. This one should have stayed on that pile. The only good thing about this book is the excellent entwined serpent illustration which heads each chapter.
Ben Flay
Aug 21, 2011 Ben Flay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story - Herbert's storytelling ability is maturing by this point and is much more focused. Be sure to check out this book if you enjoy the paranormal, horror novels, or even a good thriller
One of his bests a good thriller that you wont want to read at night its well paced imaginative and one of my favourites the characters are brilliant and its solid believability right through
Lilanthi
Horror of horrors....in every imaginable form!
J.F. Penn
Sep 09, 2012 J.F. Penn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
awesome book - rediscovered on Kindle, first published in 1987 and you can only really tell because of the telephone technology. But this is a good scary read, with a mad psychic needing protection from imagined enemies that leads to an eerie estate where something evil lurks in the sepulchre under-neath. Would have been horror once, but would now be a supernatural thriller.
2015 Reading Chal...: Sepulchre by James Herbert 2 7 Mar 24, 2015 06:43PM
  • Assassin
  • Death Dream (Night Warriors, #2)
  • Possession
  • The Nightwalker
  • Funland
  • The Physics Of The Dead
  • The Swarm
  • The Candle Man
  • A Child Across the Sky (Answered Prayers, #3)
James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction.

He was one of our greatest popular novelists, whose books are sold in thirty-three other languages, including Russian and Chinese. Widely imitated and hugely influential, his 19 novels have sold more than 42 million
More about James Herbert...