Start by marking “Nonfiction Readers' Advisory” as Want to Read:
Nonfiction Readers' Advisory

Nonfiction Readers' Advisory

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Addresses the issue of how readers' advisors can expand their repertoire and make better use of their library's collection by incorporating nonfiction into the RA transaction.
Published October 30th 2004 by Libraries Unlimited

To ask other readers questions about Nonfiction Readers' Advisory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nonfiction Readers' Advisory

Erin Boyington
Every reference librarian should recognize the value of suggesting nonfiction to patrons. Ultimately, the fiction/nonfiction divide, useful though it might be, is still an artificial one.

I especially enjoyed the chapter on nonfiction for school libraries. I myself only started enjoying nonfiction as an adult after I read two excellent books: Laura Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit and Kate Summerscale's The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher, both books that showed me the power of nonfiction storytelling. I did r
L.A.
The first book to address recommending non-fic in a systemic way. A valuable item for RA librarians who want to be well-rounded and sharp.
Ellee
May 07, 2008 Ellee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Myleen, Montana
I read this collection of essays to enrich my readers' advisory skills, which I use nigh daily in my role as a public librarian. I found these essays interesting, enjoyable, as well as helpful in carrying out one of my roles as a librarian. Very insightful.

Very highly recommended for all public librarians!!
Carrie
A very good overview of nonfiction readers advisory. I know a lot more about how to help readers find what they would enjoy. It also explained well the difference between narrative nonfiction and informational nonfiction.
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Sarah added it
Aug 11, 2013
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Cindy
Cindy added it
Aug 18, 2012
Katie W
Katie W marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2012
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2012
Going Places: A Reader's Guide to Travel Narratives Going Places: A Reader's Guide to Travel Narrative The Readers' Advisor's Companion