Myth Nomers And Im Pervections (Myth)

Myth Nomers And Im Pervections (Myth Adventures #8)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  3,795 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Skeeve is living large as the president and founder of M.Y.T.H. Inc., a co-op of magik consultants-until his demon cohort, Aahz, resigns and leaves in a huff. Now Skeeve finds himself in the missing Pervect's home dimension, the worst neighborhood in the galaxy.
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Myth Nomers And Im Pervections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myth Nomers And Im Pervections

Sam
Sep 22, 2012 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This is a great little read and it doesn't matter if you haven't read any of the series (like me) as most of what you need to know is explained during the course of the story. Obviously not all the characters are fully developed but there is plenty of others that make their appearances that carry the story well. Skeeve is an hysterical character and utterly inept at making his own decisions until someone manages to give him the wake up call he obviously needs. The setting is superb and Asprin gi...more
Margaret
Skeeve goes looking for Aahz in Perv. Hijinks ensue.
Ensiform
With the rest of the gang on Klah to see what they can do about Queen Hemlock’s having thrown down the gauntlet to Skeeve in the last book, our hero travels alone to Perv to find Aahz, who has quit the team in a snit. Left to his own devices, Skeeve learns about city life, street vendors, credit limits, corrupt cops, alcohol, and muggers, while following in Aahz’s footsteps, discovering what makes his partner tick.

A fun read, light (as usual) on plot, and with the usual monologues about Life and...more
John Kirk
The basic plot is reasonable enough, but it's also pretty straightforward (Skeeve goes looking for Aahz). So, a book like this really relies on the way the story is told, and it seems to fall flat compared to earlier books in the series: it just doesn't have the same spark of humour.

There are also a couple of odd quirks that don't really work. (view spoiler)...more
Jessica
Skeeve's first adventure all on his own! Well, kind of on his own. He does enlist the help of Calvin, a Djin that only he can see.

Aahz's feelings get hurt by an off-handed remark by Skeeve. Aahz, in an alarming display of childishness, leaves M.Y.T.H. Inc and Skeeve in a huff. Skeeve feels adequately chagrined, and decides to follow Aahz to Perv to apologize and beg him to come back.

This is the first time that more than a couple of sentences are spent on Aahz's home dimension of Perv, and it's a...more
Kez
I absolutely adore this book. Skeeve's visit to the mysterious and anti-social world of Perv is hysterically funny. The nastiest and most dangerous dimension isn't even safe against the insanity that follows Skeeve. Following along after his partner Aahz, Skeeve travels to Perv hoping to be able to find the trail of Aahz.

First he gets in trouble with the police for being polite and one thing leads to another until the same kind of trouble that follows Skeeve everywhere collides with some of the...more
An Odd1
Magician Skeeve leaves, team off-stage will battle Queen Hemlock on Klah, while he searches rude lizard dimension Perv, for Aahz, Deva bazaar company partner who resigned unhappy. Aided and blocked by mys-fits such as small djinn Kalvin, cab-driver Edvik, sidewalk entrepreneur J.R., bodyguard serpentine Pookie, and others, he explores meaning of friendship and self-reliance. Veiled in arguments with store and hotel clerks, cops and criminals, bar brawls and alley escapes, are philosophical maund...more
Tom Loock
Re-read in December 2013. Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections is still quite readable and funny, but it's (again) a bit thin story-wise as it is the first solo adventure of Skeeve with a few cameos; also, Asprin rambles on a lot about philosophical and moral issues. The author's strength (also, again) is with additions to the supporting cast, specifically Kalvin. On to the next one.
Walt
The eighth book in the myth series is somewhat dry and missing some of the humor that is usually present. The hero goes in search of his friend.

It is clever in that the hero goes to a place that incorporates magic and modern technology - something like New York in 2008 where magic is common place and used by everyone. There were some funny scenes; but the gem in this is the unique description of Aahz's home demension.
Dehibberdwrites
Robert Asprin writes brilliant humor in his MYTH series. He creates an odd assortment of characters that are fun to read about. I would read the books to my family and we laughed our way through all the books. If you like humor, magic, mobsters, demons, dragons, and other such characters, read Robert's MYTH books. If you don't like those kinds of characters, read the books and you will come away with some crazy new friends.
J
Aahz takes off because he feels like he’s not needed and Skeeve’s off to Perv to bring him back. I’ve said it too often but the interplay between Aahz and Skeeve is what makes this series for me. Myth-Nomers & Im-Pervections is a lot about Skeeve becoming an adult and it’s still a great read but, when Aahz finally shows up, it’s like a breath of fresh air. This is still one of the best series ever.
Rachel
This book in the series was a bit better than the previous one, since the point of view is back to Skeeve (the main character), but it was slow and a bit boring. There was only one short scene of action that had a bit of magic. I hope the next in the series has more action.
Qt
In this one, it was great fun for me to finally get to see where Aahz came from (he's my favorite from the series) and get to know a little about his background, which contained some surprises. The usual nice mixture of humor, adventure, and sweetness.
Shane
This one seems more like an interlude than an actual adventure. Plus the original team was gone and it was mostly just Skeeve. Not bad but not hilarious. The history of Aahz was pretty cool.
John
Still funny, still entertaining, however, Skeeve's "I'm soo naive" shtick is beginning to get old. Read it because it is part of the series, but recognize that it is a formula book.
Megan
I admit after eight books Skeeve's naive routine can get a bit much - hence the three stars. However, we all know and love the characters and the world. You can't go wrong with a Myth book.
Jen
A nice light-hearted romp in fantasy dimensions. I read this out of order in the series, but there was a nice recap in the middle and I didn't feel lost in the plot.
Another Amazingly easy read from the myth series. Very comical fantasy easy read. Very alike to Pratchett! Gonna pick up another in the series me thinks.
Rob
Skeeve is growing up and he has a cool deadly pervert for a bodyguard. Its kinda funny he got thrown off the most feared planet for being an undesirable.
Jess Schira
Although this book does a great job allowing Skeeve to evolve and learn about himself, it's a slow read. It feels like a placeholder in the series.
Biblioworm
Похоже, серия исчерпала себя - много пересказов, много самокопаний и рассуждений вместо характерного для предыдущих книг серии юмора и действий.
Tomthedog
A bit of a chore, with the main character moping and complaining the entire length of it. Definitely lacking the fun I expect from this series.
Chris
Found this book lacking because the whole crew isn’t present. Additionally I found the character of Perv to be a slight disappointment.
J.M.
Read in high school. A really great series; Aspirin's humorous fantasy is phenomenal. I'd love to get another copy and reread them all.
Richard Kelly
Return to the single point of view was nice, but the story seemed to be lacking. Still fun, but not great.
Art

a funny enough book. I'll have to get some more, although they seem to be in short supply.
This one isn't as funny as the others, but is as entertaining as introspection can be.
David Burkam
Even for this slight but accceptably amusing book series, this entry is very slight.
Lori
I absolutely love the Myth Adventures saga! It's funny and witty and a great read. :)
  • A Disagreement With Death (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #3)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • Ripping Time (Time Scout, #3)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Callahan's Con (The Place, #2) (Callahan's Series, #9)
  • The Silver Crown (Guardians of the Flame, #3)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin...
Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1) Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2) Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3) Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4) Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)