Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Resurrection Inc” as Want to Read:
Resurrection Inc
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Resurrection Inc

3.57  ·  Rating Details ·  314 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
1st edition 1st printing paperback, vg In stock shipped from our UK warehouse
Kindle Edition, authors preferred text, 296 pages
Published June 15th 1998 by Voyager (first published 1984)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Resurrection Inc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurrection Inc

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Ascari Vau
Ich hatte Anfang dieses Jahres angekündigt, dass ich eine Kooperation mit dem Papierverzierer Verlag eingegangen bin. Mittlerweile habe ich das erste Buch gelesen, das mir der Verlag zur Verfügung gestellt hat: "Resurrection Inc." von Kevin J. Anderson.

Der Autor selbst ist im Phantastik- bzw. SF-Bereich schon lange kein Unbekannter mehr. Wenn ihr die "Dune"-Reihe kennt, werdet ihr auch schon von ihm gehört bzw. gelesen haben. Der Autor hat aber auch diverse Star Wars- und Akte X-Romane veröffent

Ich habe von dem Buch was ganz anderes erwartet. Nichts schlechtes nur anders eben. Aber es war so viel mehr. Es war überraschend und besonders bei Nathan kann ich nicht erahnen, was er als nächstes macht. Und es war einfach nach kurzer Zeit schon außerordentlich spannend. Ein sehr schönes Buch.


Dieses Buch ist wirklich spannend. Die Idee finde ich auch sehr gut. Es geht darum, dass aus toten Körpern, die nicht zu sehr geschädigt worden sind, Diener gemacht werden. Dadurch verlier
Jorgen Schäfer
Feb 23, 2013 Jorgen Schäfer rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
In the book Resurrection Inc. by Kevin J. Anderson, the megalomanic CEO Francois Nathans has amassed riches by turning dead people into robotic Servants. While his goal was to free humanity from low labor, this has destabilized society as many blue-collar workers lost their jobs and their goals in life, and the mighty Enforcer Guild is charged with keeping peace through strength. In this dystopian world, the Servant Danal suddenly remembers parts of his former life.

The main plot of this book did
Jul 12, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anderson's first novel from 1988 imagines a future world where lifeless bodies are brought back without any memory or personality to create a new economy of cheap labor servants. Except, Danal, murdered by a popular cult, does begin to remember. This changes everything.

This is not only a great debut novel from a New York Times Bestselling author that explores the morality and cultural effect of "raising the dead", but there are also multiple references to the 1980's Rush album "Grace Under Pres
Ernie Jr.
Jan 08, 2011 Ernie Jr. rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I enjoyed Resurrection Inc. for the sheer uniqueness of the book. Typically Sci-Fi can get cliche, but this book explored some interesting questions concerning the human mind and the capacity we have to use and abuse one another. Best of all, it explores the concept of raising the dead without recourse to zombies and other macabre results. The characters are interesting, the plot is well thought out, and the book is a good read on a rainy day.
Nicole Caliro
Apr 10, 2014 Nicole Caliro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, goodreads first reads program! I'm usually not at all into anything with a Sci Fi feel, but I really liked this! Obviously I'd recommend it to fans of Sci Fi, but even if that's not your usual taste- give this one a try!
Jul 12, 2014 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the future the Enforcers Guild protects the people. Resurrection Inc. brings the dead back as Servants - mindless reanimated bodies that are controlled by computer chips in the brain. Neo-Satanism was the predominant religion of the masses. With the creation of the servants many common jobs are done by the dead, leaving a huge number of people out of work. However, when Danal, a victim of Neo-Satanism, awakens in a servant body with his memories and personality from before his death, everythi ...more
Mar 11, 2016 Yoschi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man sollte meinen, ich hätte schon genug Dystopien gelesen und so langsam sollte sich mal ein Sättigungsgefühl einstellen, aber dann kommt wieder ein Roman um die Ecke, der mich fesselt. So geschehen mit "Resurrection Inc." von Kevin J. Anderson.
Besonders gefallen hat mir die Einbeziehung der Religion in das Weltbild und wie sie von Francois Nathans, Gründer der Resurrection Inc., ad absurdum geführt wird. Nicht nur macht er ein Leben nach dem Tod zur Realität, sondern gründet auch noch seine ei
Nov 26, 2013 AmandaSOTP rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
I can't recall where I heard about this book; maybe another review or on a list of books coming out, but I was not disappointed with this book.

The detail put into developing not only the story at the point the reader picks up, but also the back story of Resurrection, Inc, the neo-Satanists, and the servants is impressive. While the story progresses quickly, you're not rushed through events, and yet it doesn't drag when revealing the back story.

The characters all have depth and those gray areas w
Nov 29, 2012 Sebastien rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Si un jour vous trouver ce livre, le prenez dans vos mains et lisez la jaquette arrière, il risque de vous arriver la même chose que moi. Vous allez vous inventer une histoire de fou dans votre tête, vous allez avoir des grosses attente et vous risquez de finir déçu.

Déçu car le potentiel de ce livre est vraiment incroyable, en plus d'être très original. L'idée d'une compagnie qui récupère les corps des morts pour en faire des zombies esclave disponible dans toutes les maison laissait présager un
Ann Dulhanty
Sep 26, 2015 Ann Dulhanty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good story - a soiid science fiction based on a biological technology. It covers all the right aspects of the technology -its abuses, and side effects, how it can go wrong and how it can corrupt. It made me think about what it means to be human and what death is. All that, and the action is continuous, with a complex plot and characters to root for and against. The book was written 25 years ago, so an interesting perk is the treatment of the 'internet' - it's different in the w ...more
Steve Stanton
Mar 16, 2014 Steve Stanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 25th anniversary edition of Kevin J. Anderson’s debut novel will be released in Canada by ECW Press in May 2014. Remarkably, it is still a timely read, with zombie-like Servants resurrected from human corpses to perform menial tasks and free the populace to play on the Net or pursue the creative arts. The novel delves into issues of the afterlife and questions of identity and purpose, as any potential for utopia in this fantasy world is flawed by an underground movement of discontent and a ...more
Oct 30, 2012 Leslee rated it liked it
2.5 stars. This one was a bit of a slog. Clever idea and serviceable writing but after a while I was jumping over whole paragraphs to find out what happens in the end (which turned out to be a bit of a let down, to be honest). Everything felt slightly too telegraphed. A few surprises but mostly you can guess where everything is going and a lot of it felt a bit pointless.

This was purchased as a part of the halloween story bundle which I'm adding a link to because I think it's a fantastic idea th
I liked a lot of the social issues that the book brought up in the first half about the possibility of resurrecting the dead in the first place, having robots (or in this case 'servants') take over menial jobs to 'allow humans more time to think,' and the abuse o power by religious establishments. The second half of the book however, while having a few good parts, is not as well development. The plot becomes more character focused but the characters and plot themselves seem ill-thought out and a ...more
Aug 20, 2016 Maetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In some twisted future, undamaged bodies are re-animated to serve as servants who are controlled by command words. Never mind that there are many alive people shuffling through the streets out of work. They are called "the blues" or people not educated enough to get a technical job. Resurrection INC run by a corrupt neo Satanist virtually controls the society. However, some of the servants regain their memories from when they lived throwing a wrench in the plans of the neo Satanists.

What a stra
Geoff Young
Sep 11, 2015 Geoff Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anderson's first novel considers a simple question and carries the answer to its logical conclusion. Strong voices and narrative.

The author's experience as a technical writer is evident throughout. Sentences are well constructed - crisp, lean, taut.

Though his style may strike some as terse, he just doesn't waste words. Good pacing, good suspense. Enjoyable debut.

Choice quote: "Fame and notoriety are the most useless forms of success mankind has yet invented." - Francois Nathans
Jul 09, 2014 Stephen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a very strange experience for me. I have never really been all that interested in zombies or the reanimation of the deceased within the Sci-Fi genre. I just never took to this novel, maybe my lack of interest in the subject played a major part in that. The characters were fine, the idea was fine and the plot development ran at a decent pace too. I just found myself bored throughout. Maybe I will revisit it at another time.
Melissa McCauley
This book has an interesting premise – the dead have no rights, and therefore their bodies are reanimated and used for free slave labor. I also love the dark humor of the men who create the Neo-Satanist religion, figuring that anyone stupid enough to fall for it deserves what they get. However, it is easy to tell this is a first novel. It isn’t a smooth read and lacks polish.
Got this as a part of a book bundle which I was very leery of. I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to books and I was so worried about getting a bunch of trash and I ended up with several really good reads. This was one of them.

A little predictable and it does drag on, but it is a very interesting concept.
Nov 15, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this! I didn't instantly like the main character. I had to get to know him first. Once I did, I liked him and wanted him to succeed. The bad guys are REALLY bad, the good guys are atypical but you feel for them. Really great story and the Rush references sprinkled about kept me smiling. Way to go, KJA!
Connietrue Simons
Mar 11, 2015 Connietrue Simons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for the first time when I was in middle school back in 1992. It made such an impression on me that I have looked for it several times since. It was always out of print. I was excited to finally stumble upon it on Amazon one day. Anderson's vision of the future was surprisingly accurate in many ways and the themes of the book really hold up.
Mar 30, 2015 Charl marked it as quit  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y2014
It's an interesting premise, using electronic controls to reanimate dead bodies as servants. And they're not zombies, they're just animated bodies. But overall, it's just not engaging my interest. I'm not interested in the protagonist, and just don't care what happens next.

I got about a third through it, but I need to move on.
Jun 30, 2012 g-na rated it really liked it
Sci-fi taking place on a futuristic Earth, and in the San Francisco Bay Area as well. A company called Resurrection, Inc. has discovered a way to bring dead bodies back to life without memories of their former lives, and use them as Servants. The plot gets tangled with the introduction of a neo-satanic cult, power-crazed businessmen, and a murder victim who remembers his killer.
Sean Randall
Dec 10, 2012 Sean Randall rated it really liked it
Short enough to grip you in one sitting, this title didn't let me put itself down.

The premise - a futuristic society where a private organisation animates corpses to become servants. Throw in a fanatical, fake religion, a tale of torn love, an obsession with death and flawed resurrection processes that allow the dead to regain their lost memories and you have a superbly-spun story indeed.
Lauren Capehart
I think it had a lot of potential to be something great, but fell short for lack of the author's clear attempt at any specific philosophy. Still an entertaining read and new moral dilemmas to ponder...
Naomi Kramer
Aug 16, 2010 Naomi Kramer rated it really liked it
I found this an original take on the zombie type concept popular in horror - although I'd class it as sci fi rather than horror. A good read, kept me hooked and interested. I did find it rather predicable in places, though.
Matthew Tait
Thanks to the ebook revolution I'm catching up on Kevin's back-catalogue, and it was fascinating delving into his first published novella. This is the Cimmerian side of an author glimpsed all to seldom in the ensuing decades. Creepy and compelling.
Dec 16, 2015 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: back-burned
Just couldn't stay motivated to complete the novel. I certainly felt and remember the zeitgeist of the time (Mr Anderson and I are of the same age and share a similar humble background), but the plot and characters didn't hold my interest.
Steve Markham
Jan 13, 2013 Steve Markham rated it liked it
This was good but... I'm not sure what I expected when I started this book. I enjoyed the characters and the way the plot twisted but... I'm not sure. Something about it could have been a bit better but it hasn't put me off trying another anderson novel.
I liked it. Possibly 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Dystopia, though not an apocalyptic dystopia. Also mystery and well-developed characters. And the strange society that arises when death is not really the end.

To re-read for sure.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Riverwatch
  • Blaze of Glory
  • The Drought
  • A Latent Dark
  • The Camelot Papers
  • Spirit Walker (Serpent Catch, #1)
  • The Immortals
  • Tunnel Vision And Other Stories From The Edge
  • The Festival of Bones (Mythworld, #1)
  • Hunting in Hell (De La Roca Chronicles, #1-2)
  • Blood Red Turns Dollar Green
  • The Duchess of the Shallows (The Grey City, #1)
  • John Gone (The Diaspora Trilogy, #1)
  • Diary of a Small Fish
  • The Marinara Murders
  • The Mike Murphy Files and Other Stories
  • Dire Means
  • Undersea
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...

Share This Book