Start by marking “Resurrection Inc” as Want to Read:
Resurrection Inc

Resurrection Inc

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  32 reviews
..IT IS THE FUTURE.... AND THE DEAD WALK THE STREETS....Resurrection. Inc. found a profitable way to do it. A microprocessor brain, synthetic heart and blood-presto, anyone with the price could buy a Servant with no mind of its own, no memories of its past life, and trained to obey any command. But for every Servant created, a living worker was out of a job. Some people to ...more
Kindle Edition, authors preferred text, 296 pages
Published by VOYAGER (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Resurrection Inc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resurrection Inc

Steve Stanton
This 25th anniversary edition of Kevin J. Anderson’s debut novel will be released in Canada by ECW Press in May 2014. Remarkably, it is still a timely read, with zombie-like Servants resurrected from human corpses to perform menial tasks and free the populace to play on the Net or pursue the creative arts. The novel delves into issues of the afterlife and questions of identity and purpose, as any potential for utopia in this fantasy world is flawed by an underground movement of discontent and a ...more
Jorgen Schäfer
In the book Resurrection Inc. by Kevin J. Anderson, the megalomanic CEO Francois Nathans has amassed riches by turning dead people into robotic Servants. While his goal was to free humanity from low labor, this has destabilized society as many blue-collar workers lost their jobs and their goals in life, and the mighty Enforcer Guild is charged with keeping peace through strength. In this dystopian world, the Servant Danal suddenly remembers parts of his former life.

The main plot of this book did
Mark
Anderson's first novel from 1988 imagines a future world where lifeless bodies are brought back without any memory or personality to create a new economy of cheap labor servants. Except, Danal, murdered by a popular cult, does begin to remember. This changes everything.

This is not only a great debut novel from a New York Times Bestselling author that explores the morality and cultural effect of "raising the dead", but there are also multiple references to the 1980's Rush album "Grace Under Pres
Ernie Jr.
I enjoyed Resurrection Inc. for the sheer uniqueness of the book. Typically Sci-Fi can get cliche, but this book explored some interesting questions concerning the human mind and the capacity we have to use and abuse one another. Best of all, it explores the concept of raising the dead without recourse to zombies and other macabre results. The characters are interesting, the plot is well thought out, and the book is a good read on a rainy day.
Nicole Caliro
Thank you, goodreads first reads program! I'm usually not at all into anything with a Sci Fi feel, but I really liked this! Obviously I'd recommend it to fans of Sci Fi, but even if that's not your usual taste- give this one a try!
Chad
In the future the Enforcers Guild protects the people. Resurrection Inc. brings the dead back as Servants - mindless reanimated bodies that are controlled by computer chips in the brain. Neo-Satanism was the predominant religion of the masses. With the creation of the servants many common jobs are done by the dead, leaving a huge number of people out of work. However, when Danal, a victim of Neo-Satanism, awakens in a servant body with his memories and personality from before his death, everythi ...more
Summer
I liked a lot of the social issues that the book brought up in the first half about the possibility of resurrecting the dead in the first place, having robots (or in this case 'servants') take over menial jobs to 'allow humans more time to think,' and the abuse o power by religious establishments. The second half of the book however, while having a few good parts, is not as well development. The plot becomes more character focused but the characters and plot themselves seem ill-thought out and a ...more
AmandaSOTP
I can't recall where I heard about this book; maybe another review or on a list of books coming out, but I was not disappointed with this book.

The detail put into developing not only the story at the point the reader picks up, but also the back story of Resurrection, Inc, the neo-Satanists, and the servants is impressive. While the story progresses quickly, you're not rushed through events, and yet it doesn't drag when revealing the back story.

The characters all have depth and those gray areas w
Sebastien
Si un jour vous trouver ce livre, le prenez dans vos mains et lisez la jaquette arrière, il risque de vous arriver la même chose que moi. Vous allez vous inventer une histoire de fou dans votre tête, vous allez avoir des grosses attente et vous risquez de finir déçu.

Déçu car le potentiel de ce livre est vraiment incroyable, en plus d'être très original. L'idée d'une compagnie qui récupère les corps des morts pour en faire des zombies esclave disponible dans toutes les maison laissait présager un
Melissa McCauley
This book has an interesting premise – the dead have no rights, and therefore their bodies are reanimated and used for free slave labor. I also love the dark humor of the men who create the Neo-Satanist religion, figuring that anyone stupid enough to fall for it deserves what they get. However, it is easy to tell this is a first novel. It isn’t a smooth read and lacks polish.
Stephen
This was a very strange experience for me. I have never really been all that interested in zombies or the reanimation of the deceased within the Sci-Fi genre. I just never took to this novel, maybe my lack of interest in the subject played a major part in that. The characters were fine, the idea was fine and the plot development ran at a decent pace too. I just found myself bored throughout. Maybe I will revisit it at another time.
Santiago Del valle
Great setting, amazing critique of religion... But somehow I couldn't seem to care much for the characters, a little bland.
---
Una ambientación increíble, una buena critica a la religión... pero los personajes eran poco atractivos, no hacían que me interesara por ellos.
Leslee
2.5 stars. This one was a bit of a slog. Clever idea and serviceable writing but after a while I was jumping over whole paragraphs to find out what happens in the end (which turned out to be a bit of a let down, to be honest). Everything felt slightly too telegraphed. A few surprises but mostly you can guess where everything is going and a lot of it felt a bit pointless.

This was purchased as a part of the halloween story bundle which I'm adding a link to because I think it's a fantastic idea th
Kristy Murnane
I liked this a lot, but the writing left a little to be desired.
Elizabeth D'Aste
Inventive plot and therefore fun to read. A light read...
Ryan Umland
The book as a whole is really good. Some of the flashbacks seem to be told twice. A few grammar problems but they don't take away from the story. Over-all I would recommend people to buy this book.
Sean Randall
Short enough to grip you in one sitting, this title didn't let me put itself down.

The premise - a futuristic society where a private organisation animates corpses to become servants. Throw in a fanatical, fake religion, a tale of torn love, an obsession with death and flawed resurrection processes that allow the dead to regain their lost memories and you have a superbly-spun story indeed.
g-na
Sci-fi taking place on a futuristic Earth, and in the San Francisco Bay Area as well. A company called Resurrection, Inc. has discovered a way to bring dead bodies back to life without memories of their former lives, and use them as Servants. The plot gets tangled with the introduction of a neo-satanic cult, power-crazed businessmen, and a murder victim who remembers his killer.
Chip Underwood
Sci-Fi horror, it was a fund story
Holly
Really enjoyed this! I didn't instantly like the main character. I had to get to know him first. Once I did, I liked him and wanted him to succeed. The bad guys are REALLY bad, the good guys are atypical but you feel for them. Really great story and the Rush references sprinkled about kept me smiling. Way to go, KJA!
Stephanie
Got this as a part of a book bundle which I was very leery of. I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to books and I was so worried about getting a bunch of trash and I ended up with several really good reads. This was one of them.

A little predictable and it does drag on, but it is a very interesting concept.
Matthew Tait
Thanks to the ebook revolution I'm catching up on Kevin's back-catalogue, and it was fascinating delving into his first published novella. This is the Cimmerian side of an author glimpsed all to seldom in the ensuing decades. Creepy and compelling.
Steve Markham
This was good but... I'm not sure what I expected when I started this book. I enjoyed the characters and the way the plot twisted but... I'm not sure. Something about it could have been a bit better but it hasn't put me off trying another anderson novel.
Naomi Kramer
I found this an original take on the zombie type concept popular in horror - although I'd class it as sci fi rather than horror. A good read, kept me hooked and interested. I did find it rather predicable in places, though.
Roberto
My opinion of Not Frank Herbert went up a couple of notches after I read this. If this guy co-wrote the Dune Prequels, Not Frank Herbert must be responsible for the good bits there.
Brian Surratt
2.5 stars rounding up for fact that it was his first novel and the interesting world he created. Some parts were a little weak, like the unusual end that befell the antagonistic coworker.
Luke
I'm a huge fan of KJA, but this was one book I just couldn't read. The whole neo-satanist thing made my skin crawl.

Just felt too uncomfortable to read anymore
Steve Sessions
didnt care for it. too much going on in the story. had potential but characters and story line just didnt mesh well for me.
Jason Mccue
A fun read about a new way to think about the Zombie issue :).
Kevin Blower
Excellent read. Clever and witty at times. Very original.
  • Riverwatch
  • A Latent Dark
  • The Drought
  • Tunnel Vision And Other Stories From The Edge
  • The Hour Before Dark
  • Unstable Prototypes
  • Hunting in Hell (De La Roca Chronicles, #1 and #2)
  • Diary of a Small Fish
  • John Gone (The Diaspora Trilogy, #1)
  • Blood Red Turns Dollar Green
  • The Marinara Murders
  • The Duchess of the Shallows (The Grey City, #1)
  • Dire Means
  • Undersea
  • The Select
  • Disciple (Part I)
  • Irregular Creatures
  • Project Moses (Enzo Lee Mystery, #1)
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll
More about Kevin J. Anderson...
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1) Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2) Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5) Darksaber (Star Wars)