Pippi Longstocking

Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  85,038 ratings  ·  1,543 reviews
Tommy and his sister Annika have a new neighbor, and her name is Pippi Longstocking. She has crazy red pigtails, no parents to tell her what to do, a horse that lives on her porch, and a flair for the outrageous that seems to lead to one adventure after another!

Published April 21st 2005 by Puffin (first published January 1945)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
71st out of 9,789 books — 55,069 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
16th out of 3,013 books — 5,719 voters

More lists with this book...

sweet pea
i was thrilled by the thought of a new version of Pippi illustrated by Lauren Child. i grew up on Pippi. besides my wild hairstyles, she also taught me how to be spunky and lie extravagantly.

perhaps i'm hard-lined. but, certain aspects of this new translation leave me cold. Ephraim Longstocking being a "king of the natives" is too much to bear. too generic to process. he is obviously a king of the CANNIBALS, as anyone with an ounce of sense can recall. also, Pippi's full name changed from "Pipp...more
Gundula
May 21, 2012 Gundula rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys children's literature, especially literature with strong female characters
Astrid Lindgren's children's novel Pippi Longstocking (originally published in Swedish as Pippi Långstrump in 1945) is likely one of the most well-known and famous Swedish children's books of all time; it has been translated into more than 50 languages and is loved and admired around the world.

The original concept for the novel originated in 1944, when Astrid Lindgren's seven year old daughter was ill with pneumonia and Lindgren told her imaginative stories about a fantastical and mischievous l...more
Riku Sayuj

The Girl With The Dragon Boots

Having read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, where Lisbeth is identified as a real world Pippi, I have been planning to read the supposed inspiration for a long time. For the first few chapters, it is hard to imagine how Larsson could have based the character of Lisbeth on Pippi. Eventually I learned to warp Pippi's world and squeeze it into the supposedly real world filled with rapists and thieves, where little girls have no super strength to get by on. I could the...more
Nomes
Here's my daughter reading Pippi

First, the story. Pippi was written in the 1940's and it's still utterly captivating to this generation. Pippi is such an endearing character, irreverent, infectiously ridiculous and charmingly caring. Bonus to all kids everywhere: she makes adults look silly and kids look brilliant. She champion's the kids world: all imagination and no rules. Anything is possible and everything is an adventure. She's like the imaginary friend we'd like to be, except, in the end...more
Ronyell
To be honest, I have heard of “Pippi Longstocking” when I was little, but I only saw the movies of the little red haired heroine, but then again I might have read this book when I was younger. It is just that I do not remember many children’s books that I have read when I was small. “Pippi Longstocking” is a popular children’s book by Astrid Lindgren and it details the wild adventures of an unusual girl named Pippi Longstocking. “Pippi Longstocking” is clearly one of the best children’s books ev...more
Caroline
Nov 10, 2013 Caroline added it
Recommended to Caroline by: Shelley
The past is indeed another country.

When I was a child I read voraciously. I have a memory that having rapaciously foraged my way through the children’s section, I was given an adult library ticket before my time. But I am sure that didn’t really happen, not even in the rough and ready borough of London where the transition took place. My wanting just made it seem real.

In spite of my impatience for the adult section, I adored my time with the children’s library, and at the pinnacle of all child...more
Bonnie
5 stars *(My child-experience rating, though my adult rating wouldn’t differ much.)

As an adult, I find it interesting to revisit books I read as a child. Pippi Longstocking is one of two I remember most vividly; The Ugly Duckling is the other. These stories are so different from one another that I find it odd – it must say something about my personality as a child.

Rereading Pippi recently, I laughed out loud throughout the first half of the story and then I’m not sure what happened. Maybe “Monke...more
Manny
The following may be heresy, but, as Michael Dibdin says of his novel The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, it's the heresy of the true believer. Anyway, now that everyone's read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, we can no longer avoid the question. What does Pippi think about sex? Lisbeth Salander is repeatedly identified with Pippi, and she's quite straightforward about sex. When she wants it, she goes for it; no shame, no hangups. It's hard to believe that Pippi isn't exactly the same.

Of course, Pip...more
Deborah Markus
Yet another book that’s even more entertaining when you reread it as an adult. In fact, we need Pippi more than ever now. I did, anyway. At a time in my life when it’s too easy for me to feel cynical and angry pretty much nonstop, it was a relief to revisit Pippi’s humor, honesty, complex simplicity, strength, and wholehearted generosity.

There’s no mawkishness here, and no idealization of childhood or children. Astrid Lindgren simply manages to capture the joy that ought to be the birthright of...more
Gaijinmama
Isn't it amazing how an implausible book written by a Swedish lady in the 1930's about a little girl who lives with a horse, a monkey, a suitcase of gold coins, and no grown-ups can still engage us today? Pippi flat-out rocks! I read this as a kid, then read it with my son a few years ago, and now my daughter is six and has seen the animated version on Cartoon Network, and we all still can't get enough of Pippi.
One thing I felt as a parent this time around: Pippi really does try to fit in, and i...more
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 22, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
Shelves: 1001-core, childrens
We all tend to love the books that we grew up with, no matter how bad they were. I have a friend you loves Paolo Coelho's The Alchemist even if he knows that it is really not a par with the works of the other literary giants that he only came to know during his adulthood. The reason? He read The Alchemist during his tender years, in his high school, when I think everybody was talking about it and claiming it to be their favorite book. Among these people were the shallow showbiz celebrities answe...more
June
Oh, Pippi-- pioneer latchkey kid-- she made it all seem so magical. So carefree. So...doable. Of course today social services would haul her in a heartbeat to undesirable fosters and dull her with ritalin. And who on earth would want to read THAT book?? (I love my 1950 Viking Press Edition with quirky illustrations by Louis Glanzman)
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Her mother died when she was just a baby so she has no memory of her at all. Her father was a ship captain who was thrown overboard during a storm at sea and disappeared. Pippi Longstocking, nine years old, believes her mother is in heaven watching her, and her father on an island and has become the king of the cannibals. She lives alone in their house with a monkey named Mr. Nilsson and a horse.

She often looks up at the sky and tells her mother "Don't you worry about me. I'll always come out on...more
April Knapp
Review originally posted HERE

"Pipi Longstalking" is an easy read and I can see why kids enjoy it. Pipi is funny and different and draws little children out of their normal, every-day lives with her wacky adventures.

BUT, it has no plot and, therefore, is not very attractive to adult readers. It's really a series of short stories that have very little plot or meaning to them in themselves. About 75 percent through, I started just skimming the stories because they were plotless and all very similar...more
Shelley
This is my kind of children's book. My daughter and I both enjoyed it, but on two very different levels. She was engaged by the silly antics of the intrepid Pippi Longstocking (whom she repeatedly referred to as Peter Longstocking, much to the feminists' chagrin), and her one-line assessment of the book upon its completion was "It was kind of scary...but nice."

Like Amelia, I enjoyed the silliness, but it's ultimately the covert sadness that makes me love this book. Perhaps my predilection for t...more
Sarah Sammis
Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Efraim's Daughter Longstocking (or Pippi to her friends) is one of my favorite children's fiction heroines. She was first introduced in Pippi Longstocking. She's stronger anyone, lives alone in a palatial home, has a horse and a monkey, and is the daughter of a pirate. Who could ask for more out of a main character?

For the BookCrossing Literacy Train I treated myself to a reread of Pippi Longstocking before donating my copy to the cause. This initia...more
Deborah Markus
This is a review of a new translation of a children's classic. My comments and the number of stars this edition gets has nothing to do with my adoration of Pippi Longstocking, which my review of the previous edition should make pretty clear.

I'm always wildly excited to hear of new translations of books I love, so it saddens me to have to say I'm disappointed in this one.

It was published in honor of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Astrid Lindgren, the author of the Pippi books. (Lindgren li...more
Stas
I heart Peppi, or Pippi, if you like. When I was in elementary school, the Soviet television version came out (1982) and to watch the premiere, i would have had to miss school. (That makes no sense to me, but is true. Perhaps, it was a case of one of those silly occasions, when a weekend was declared to begin on Friday, and all the Soviet citizenry had to put in a day of work on a Sunday following. Or maybe the anti-authoritarian streak in Peppi was deemed slightly dangerous: not quite dangerous...more
Maureen
Jun 30, 2008 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: children
As a headstrong little girl, Pippi was my heroine. I longed to live in a castle with a horse and a monkey, and live life on my own terms. So what if the plot was weak? The object of the story was to portray a way of life that many girls yearned to live. Her name made quite a good mantra, when recited while avoiding cracks in neighborhood sidewalks. Inside every child is a lighthearted rebel, just like Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking.
Shelley
I don't know how to review this book. As a child, it was always one of my favorites. Pippi was wild and such a free spirit. And she had a monkey. How can you not love a monkey? I read this dozens of times growing up. I loved how she just did and said whatever and nevermind the consequences. I loved how she transformed the two kids from next door from uptight, perfect children into kids not afraid to have fun. But then....

I re-read it again last week and realized I really hate that kid. I wanted...more
Judy
Feb 13, 2011 Judy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All females

When I was in sixth grade, I achieved the distinction of being placed in the "independent" reading group. This meant I no longer had to sit in a circle and read aloud or listen to my classmates read aloud. Best of all, it meant I could choose my own books. Pippi Longstocking was my first pick and I was astonished that I got to read such a cool book in school.

Pippi was an inspiration to me because she got to live in a house without parents, cook her own meals and clean up when she felt like it....more
Kimberlie
I struggled with this book. Pippi reminds me of people I know who have no concept of their negative effect on others and take no responsibility for self-reflection. Pippi is like a bull in a China shop. In Pipi's case, she has no parents to guide her creativity and teach her how to control her impulses.

I wonder if the book, written by a Swedish author in the 1950s, was a stance against conformity and repressive social norms? Breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules can be as "common sense"...more
Jim
A rather odd combination of circumstances have led me to read this book. On one hand, it appears in a Norwegian list entitled The 100 Best Books in the History of Literature. The second was best-selling author Stieg Larsson's use of two Astrid Lindgren characters as a point of reference for his two major characters in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, namely Lisbeth Scalander (based on Pippi Longstocking) and Mikael Blomqvist (based on Kalle Blomqvist).

Now that I have read Pippi Longstocking, I c...more
Kelly
It occurs to me that Pippi Longstocking may be popular with children for the same reason post-apocalyptic/dystopian fiction is so popular with adolescents these days. Bear with me.

Young people like to fantasize about being alone, on their own without their parents. They also like to fantasize about not having to deal with everyday problems, like school and siblings. Post-collapse fiction lets teens imagine a world where everything else is gone, and they can be who they want themselves to be.

Pipp...more
Anna [Floanne]
I was first introduced to the amazing character of Pippi Longstocking at an early age by watching the tv series. Since then, she’s always been one of my favorite heroines but only now, at the age of 34, I have eventually decided to read the book. Better late than never! I must admit that I was totally engrossed by this beautifully-illustrated edition, being Lauren Child one of my favorite authors of children’s books. But, as I begun to turn the pages, I realized that Pippi’s complex character wa...more
Jenn
This is the story of a nine year old, red-headed girl. She lives in a house called "Villa Villekulla." Pippi is all alone because her mom passed away and her father is lost at see. Pippi meets two kids that live next door and befriends them. Tommy and Annika learn that Pippi is not your average child because she lives with a monkey named Mr. Nilsson and a horse.
This book is well written as it has a plot and a believable setting. The characters are developed in a way that makes the readers think...more
Amalie

Pippi Longstocking is a story for children, an adult cannot read it and get the same experience. If you read "Pippi Longstocking" for the first time when you are an adult you might even hate her, and may want to spank her.

Some parents and educators may object to the Pippi stories because of Pippi's unbelievable traits and feats. Pippi's unconventional behavior and language, they may feel that Pippi is not an acceptable role model for children. They do not however talk about J.M. Barrie's Peter...more
Renee Armitage
Renee Armitage
5th
The novel I will be telling you about is Astrid Lindgren’s Pippi Longstocking .Pippi is a very strong young girl with no parents that lives by herself in a small town called Villa Villekula. The general concept in this novel is purely fun. This cute little novel is about two kids that meet crazy little Pippi and they have many fun and wacky adventures together. This novel is a fun adventure book about Tommy, Annika and the awe inspiring Pippi Longstocking and their wacky adven...more
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
It's a completely different experience reading this book as an adult than as a child, but still a good one. Barely.

Pippi Longstocking is a nine year old girl without mother or father who lives by herself with a horse, a monkey, and a lot of gold. She's super-strong, does as she wills, and lies like nothing doing. One day two well-behaved children named Tommy and Annika meet her, and chaos ensues. Actually, the entire book is a collection of stories about the chaos she causes, save for the last s...more
Jinky
(3.5)
I wanted to read a fun book and out of the blue Pippi came to mind. I recall what joy it was to watch her on TV, so I figured I'd read the book for nostalgia. Sure enough, the read brought me back to the wacky adventures of Pippi and her friends. Fun times.

Yes, Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Efraim's Daughter Longstocking's not the best role model ...being unruly and such, but that's part of her charm and not the point (to glorify unruliness). To me, she represents the adven...more
101 Books to Read...: Pippi Longstocking 6 10 May 11, 2014 02:45PM
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • The Little Ghost
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus and Pettson) (Findus & Pettson)
  • Naksitrallid. Esimene ja teine raamat
  • Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic
  • Eine Woche voller Samstage (Sams, #1)
  • Jip en Janneke
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.
More about Astrid Lindgren...
The Brothers Lionheart Pippi in the South Seas Ronia, the Robber's Daughter Karlson on the Roof Pippi Goes on Board

“The children came to a perfume shop. In the show window was a large jar of freckle salve, and beside the jar was a sign, which read: DO YOU SUFFER FROM FRECKLES?

What does the sign say?” ask Pippi. She couldn’t read very well because she didn’t want to go to school as other children did.
It says, ‘Do you suffer from freckles?’” said Annika.
Does it indeed?” said Pippi thoughtfully. “Well, a civil question deserves a civil answer. Let’s go in.”

She opened the door and entered the shop, closely followed by Tommy and Annika. An elderly lady stood back of the counter. Pippi went right up to her. “No!” she said decidedly.

What is it you want?” asked the lady.
No,” said Pippi once more.
I don’t understand what you mean,” said the lady.
No, I don’t suffer from freckles,” said Pippi.

Then the lady understood, but she took one look at Pippi and burst out, “But, my dear child, your whole face is covered with freckles!”

I know it,” said Pippi, “but I don’t suffer from them. I love them. Good morning.”

She turned to leave, but when she got to the door she looked back and cried, “But if you should happen to get in any salve that gives people more freckles, then you can send me seven or eight jars.”
74 likes
“But Nightshirts aren't dangerous," Pippi assured her. "They don't bite anybody except in self defense.” 68 likes