Start by marking “The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking

The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump #1-3)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  4,337 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews
An enticing, newly illustrated collection of the enduringly popular Pippi stories. Since Pippi Longstocking was first published in 1950, the escapades of the incomparable Pippi,the girl with upside-down braids and no parents to tell her what to do, have delighted boys and girls alike. Now, for the first time, Pippi Longstocking, Pippi Goes on Board, andPippi in the South S ...more
Published 1997 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published 1948)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking
If you loved Pippi as a kid, you probably had that memorized. My sister and I used to repeat it to each other frequently. Very useful for annoying the older siblings. With adulthood came the memory dump of all nonessential information, but as soon as I started re-reading the book it all came back to me. Maybe I should give the sibs a call and recite it, just to remind them how lucky they are to have me as a little sist
Mike

Head in palms of hands, softly sobbing to myself...........don't let the dreams start again.............

We had a cat and unfortunate for it, she had a striped leg and, yes my wonderful little darling of a sister threw a HUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE Tantrum the likes noone has ever witness since, and all because the family wanted it to be called Mona and little sis wanted it to be called Pippi LongMeow....
Tanya D
Oct 19, 2011 Tanya D rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I recently finished reading these three Pippi books to my seven and four year old boys. I was worried that it would be outdated or boring or demonstrate too much bad behavior. My seven year old was worried that it would be too girly. I'm happy to report that we all loved these books. After the first chapter, the boys were running to bed every night with the book, begging for another chapter. I loved Pippi so much. She really loves her friends and does all sorts of big and little unseen things to ...more
Nomy
Jan 29, 2008 Nomy rated it really liked it
i gave this three stars* because it includes "pippi in the south seas" and i remember that one being weird around race. i can't remember if "pippi goes on board" has those same elements. i love pippi for beating up cops and robbers, washing her floor with sponges strapped to her feet, playing inside a hollow log, sleeping with her feet on her pillow, and making the uptight mom next door have a hissy fit because she doesn't know how to behave like a "lady." but her encounters with people in the ...more
Paula
Sep 04, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't a big fan of Pippi when I was little, but this time around I had so much fun reading this book! Pippi is undisputably crazy (eating death cup mushrooms and randomly shooting with her father's gun like it's no big deal) but she also has the kindest and most generous heart. I loved that.
Beyond the Pages
Sep 28, 2015 Beyond the Pages rated it it was amazing
Pippi is such an enchanting character. She's refreshingly peculiar and she owns up to it. She is an unlikely heroine who has a heart for adventure, justice and goodwill. I appreciate that her imagination is rich, that her spirit is strong, and that her creativity is endless. Without question, I have enjoyed reacquainting myself with her stories.
Staciel
Sep 22, 2015 Staciel rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic-lit

I spent the entire summer and most of September reading this wonderful edition of 'Pippi Longstocking' with my 10 year old daughter and I'm so we spent the time to do it-- we laughed and laughed.
NebraskaIcebergs
Feb 23, 2013 NebraskaIcebergs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Imagine being nine years old and living on one’s own. However do you handle it? Well, it might help if you’re the strongest and richest girl in the girl. This week I reread The Adventures of Pippi Longstocking, which contains all three Pippi novels by Astrid Lindgren, as part of my ongoing study of literary anti-heroes. Pippi does whatever she desires, whenever she wants, which is a reason her character caused controversy when first introduced and to this day appears on lists of female ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Someone left this by the self-checkout machine at the library and I thought "Why not" and checked it out for a re-read. I owned at least the first book when I was a kid. (As a redhead and descendant of redheads ... yeah. It was probably inevitable.)

On the one hand, I'm kind of blown away by Pippi's girl-hero qualities. I kept thinking she was very Peter Pan-ish (except that she wants to be a pirate instead of fighting them), and that was before I got to the end and read that the thing she wanted
Maudy
Jul 08, 2007 Maudy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PJ
Shelves: life-savers
I'd like to recommend this book to my friend PJ, hopefully she will perfectly relate herself to Pippi. Here's to all life-enjoying-happy-go-lucky people out there!

I myself, have read all stories on Pippi Longstocking back in the year 1990-1993. One long school holiday I recall, my parents went to Gramedia, and brought home a basket (literally a basket!) full of Astrid Lindgren's writings: Emil, Lotta, Madita, children of Bullerbyn, and of course, Pippi Longstocking. It was madness, I say. I fini
Indhira Adam
Jul 18, 2007 Indhira Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
Baca deh penggalan cerita di bawah :

Pippi is an irrepressible, irreverent, and irrefutably delightful nine-year-old girl who lives alone (with a monkey) in her wacky house, Villa Villekulla. When she's not dancing with the burglars who were just trying to rob her house, she's attempting to learn the "pluttification" tables at school; fighting Adolf, the strongest man in the world at the circus; or playing tag with police officers. Pippi's high-spirited, good-natured hijinks cause as much trouble
Maren
Jun 01, 2008 Maren rated it it was amazing
Rebecca and I have spent many a too late school nights reading through the Pippi trilogy. It's nothing but fun. If you want a book that builds character, this probably isn't it, though you'd be hard-pressed to find a kinder soul than Pippi. I believe stories like these are perfect for children. Pippi is generous, fun, and just, qualities that I see in my own children. She doesn't have good manners, she can't read very well or do "pluttification", and she has a bad habit of lying (telling ...more
Joy
I only read Pippi Longstocking out of this anthology. I have been rereading books from my childhood and I remember my mother and I getting this from the library when I was in kindergarten or so.

This book is a very strange book. Pippi is a girl who lives on her own (because her father is the king of the cannibals on an island somewhere). She has a lot of gold, so she bought her own house and a horse and she also has a monkey. She is extremely strong.

I did not realize that this was translated. Th
Nancy Brady
Jul 21, 2013 Nancy Brady rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/11880746 This set includes all three of Pippi Longstocking' s adventures. All three of them feature Pippi, the red haired girl who is strong enough to pick up her horse, and her two friends, a brother and sister. Pippi and her friends have wild adventures in the town where they live and at her ramshackle house with the tree that "grows" chocolate bars and/or sodas, depending on the day. All in all, they are fun reads for
Mary
May 08, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, humor
I used to wish I was Pippi, to be able to carry a horse, hang out on tropical islands, and have a monkey for a friend (although not named Mr. Nilsson). Although she doesn't act like a grown-up, she reminds us of the things that are really important in life. I have only read the first 3 books (I didn't know there were more), so when they all come in from the library, I'll post an update to this review (I'm not going to rate them all individually).
The Twins
Jan 22, 2014 The Twins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this book to my boys who are 6 1/2. Three Pippi Longstocking books in one (Pippi Longstocking, Pippi goes abroad, Pippi in the South Seas). The boys loved it and it brought back a lot of childhood memories for me. It is nice to cuddle up with them and read on the weekend or after school to unwind and of course in the evenings and see how engulfed they get with the stories. They rather have had a Pippi story read to them than watch something on TV - long may it last!
Gijs Grob
Zelfstandig, dapper, lief, vrolijk, scherp, waanzinnig sterk en onschuldig brutaal: Pippi Langkous is het ideale speelkameraadje en misschien wel een van de meest anarchistische personages uit de (kinder)literatuur. Zo zou je ook wel willen zijn! Maar in je hart weet je dat je eigenlijk meer lijkt op Pippi's brave en kleurloze vriendjes Tommy en Anneke. Ontzettend grappig, fris en lekker schoppend geschreven en terecht legendarisch kinderboek.
Ebookwormy
Aug 18, 2009 Ebookwormy rated it it was ok
I liked this book as a child. It was fun and adventurous. You never knew what was going to happen and when it happened, you never knew what would happen next. I do remember that Pippy didn't have a family and that was a struggle for her. However, I don't remember re-reading this, and i cannot remember what the real message of the stories were, except that you can have a lot of fun - even if life is hard and you don't have a family.
Erin
When I was in third grade, we had a book "sleepover" where we brought sleeping bags to class and dressed as our favorite book character (I went as Pipi Longstocking). After making a brief presentation about our favorite book/character, we climbed into our sleeping bags and read for the rest of the day. I was in heaven.
Elīna
May 14, 2013 Elīna rated it it was amazing
I've read this book several times - being a child and while I was growing up. It's the best thing to say about book - every time I've read it, I've found something new.

It's a book for children, if you want so, it's a book for teenagers if you need it, and it's a book for grownups if you still remember it all. Don't forget - the main thought of Astrid Lindgren's remarkable writing.
Annchan Maulana
Oct 01, 2007 Annchan Maulana rated it really liked it
Pippi a little girl with a red haired who lives in Swedish village. Have an incredible physical strength, she lives alone and fends for herself.
She have a siblings name Tommy and Annika.
Pippi have many adventures. Her seafaring father travels the 7 seas, often leaving Pippi to her own devices. It is a good thing others are invited to travel along with Pippi!

Original review by AnnChan ^^
Cheri
Nov 03, 2016 Cheri rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was one of my favorite childhood books. Mostly because I was never a Barbie loving, princess wanna-be type of girl. I loved that Pippi was independant, a tom boy and lived out dangerous adventures. Pippi was/is the antidote for all those "wait until a boy comes to save you" classics that made me want to go out and build a tree fort.
swarati
Jul 29, 2007 swarati rated it it was amazing
Pippi and the Bullerbyn-kids are the bricks my world are built of. Every subsequent step in the creation of me (the disbelief in numbers, the habit to treat everything as texts, the love for freedom even if it means being lonely, the thought that ALL babies ARE ugly -it's not my newborn sister's handicap!-) could be attributed to them.
Sara
Funny, endearing, goofy and sweet. Pippi is wonderful brain candy for my children. I find her hijinks exhausting and tiresome but my children are in fits of giggles whenever Pippi is pulled out for family read aloud time. Safe and sweet but not particularly exquisite, Pippi is family favorite but probably not a classic exactly.
Rachel
May 24, 2008 Rachel rated it did not like it
I remember loving the movie as a kid, but when I read this book recently, Pippi annoyed me to no end. She lies all of the time and is attention-starved. I think that the movie made her more endearing because she didn't seem so needy. Thus, 1 star to Pippi.
Chicklet
Sep 20, 2007 Chicklet rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every kid
Pippi has the means and skills to live on her own, stands up to bullies for little kids, and has just the right spirit of naughtiness.
I read some of the Pippi Longstocking books sometime in my elementary school years.
Kelly
Jul 23, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
I think this was the first time I had read these, but who knows! Pippi seemed so utterly familiar to me, it's possible my mother provided me with these stories when I was much younger. Definitely a must for my kids. Pippi is so ridiculous and lovely.
Beccabevan
Jun 07, 2008 Beccabevan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children ages 5+
This was the best find at the library for my kids. They were constantly asking to read the "Pippy" book. The only downfall: I wished it would never end! Since we have completed this book, it has been hard to find a book comparible to this one that they loved so much.
Jeffrey
May 26, 2014 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Lindgren has created a high-spirited and deeply subversive hero who I admire but have never fallen in love with the way I have with Carroll's Alice, Collodi's Pinocchio or Janssen's Moomins - good but not great but well worth reading
ScottK
Oct 31, 2007 ScottK rated it really liked it
When I read this book ( which was many many years ago) ...I loved it. Pippi kicks A$% ( even though when I read it I wsn't allowed to use bad words).
  • Jip en Janneke
  • Het sleutelkruid
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud
  • Kruimeltje
  • Geef me de ruimte! (Trilogie over de 100 jarige oorlog, #1)
  • Boris
  • What the Witch Left
  • Ние, врабчетата
  • Het Grote Boek Van Madelief
  • Ян Бибиян
  • Josephine
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.
More about Astrid Lindgren...

Pippi Långstrump (3 books)
  • Pippi Longstocking