Start by marking “5 Acres & A Dream The Book: The Challenges of Establishing a Self-Sufficient Homestead” as Want to Read:

What does it take to become a successful homesteader?
Based on her popular homesteading blog, 5 Acres & A Dream, Leigh Tate shares how she and her husband Dan are facing the challenges of trying to establish a self-sufficient homestead; from defining their dream, finding property, and setting priorities, to obstacles and difficult times, to learning how to work smarter,
Published November 30th 2013 by Kikobian

To ask other readers questions about 5 Acres & A Dream The Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 5 Acres & A Dream The Book

Mrs Robin
Sep 22, 2016 Mrs Robin rated it it was amazing
Doesn't that cover just make your heart stop!!! Loads of eye goodies!

Have you ever read a book that encouraged and inspired you so much that it was pretty much impossible to put it down? Well Leigh's book, 5 Acres & A Dream, was that kind of book for me. I read it in one weekend. Seriously! I'm the kind of the gal who takes the opportunity to read whenever it is presented no matter how small.
It's time to brown meat, let me read this while staring my meat.
Car ride?! Hold on let me grab my boo
Anna
Oct 08, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
Leigh explains that her book isn't a how to or a why to; it's simply the story of how she and her husband found their farm and spent four years bringing the land to life. As such, the most powerful part of the book is the way Leigh records changes in the couple's thought processes as they began to homestead, transitions that I suspect are near-universal since my husband and I worked our way across the same hurdles during our early years here. That's why I particularly recommend Leigh's book to ...more
Sylvia Walker
Mar 01, 2014 Sylvia Walker rated it really liked it
This is more of a why- to than a how-to homesteading book, and I found it fascinating. The author is very clear and honest about her, and her husband's, reasons for homesteading, how they define being homesteaders, and the reasons behind the choices they've made in their almost 5 years of trying to become more self-sufficient. The book was especially interesting to me because the couple are older, nearing retirement age, and not a pair of vigorous 20- somethings. Both their physical energy and ...more
Beth
Jun 21, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
Love the book, enjoy the blog as well, which is actually where I first learned about this book.

I like that the author doesn't drown you in philosophy, but puts it in where it helps the reader understand why one avenue or method is pursued rather than another. If you are looking for a book that gives you some idea of what it means to start fresh, and lacking in some areas of expertise, this is a great book to read. The world rarely goes according to plan, and having other experiences to measure
Scott
Mar 09, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it
Great gift from my Sister-in-law. The book was great for me, obviously (having left Chicago and bought a 10 acre farm in the middle of nowhere). There were lots of things I learned about gardening and especially critters but the most interesting things were the similarities in thought processes. The huge amounts of information and practices to be ingested, prioritization of projects, set backs and successes. The book was well written, informative and reassuring.
Alfredo
Aug 18, 2016 Alfredo rated it really liked it
Shelves: homesteading
I enjoyed reading Leigh Tate's book on her experience in setting up and maintaining a homestead.

Not a "how to" book by any means, but instead a "this is how it turned out for us" kind of book which made for a refreshing read. I enjoyed the stories of the house repairs, the goats' appetite for poison ivy and the chickens "rule the roost" mentality (reminded me of Lord of the Flies :p).

All in all a good read.
Jenny Hayworth
Mar 01, 2014 Jenny Hayworth rated it it was amazing
Awesome read. Well written. Loved how author wrote openly and honestly about ups and downs, including mistakes made, which made whole book more real. Love reading other peoples experiences who of similar mindset and trying to live ethically and consciously on this earth in different areas. The book was not preachy and not a "how to" book but more one couples journey of trying to live sustainably and with more self reliance - their journey. Great read for a weekend.
Marija
Aug 10, 2014 Marija rated it it was amazing
I put this right up there with Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living. While Emery focused on the how-to, Tate focuses on the why, in her search for a homestead for herself and her partner, middle-aged, on a realistic budget. She has thoughtful discussions on animals, solar power (and why she chose not to go that route), and soil preparation. This book is informative for what worked, but more importantly what didn't work for her.

Highly recommended.
Brandon Digiantonio
Jan 07, 2016 Brandon Digiantonio rated it really liked it
Excellent book for planning a homestead big picture. If you are looking for nuts and bolts functions on a homestead, I would look elsewhere. Is extremely helpful to those who are trying to increase their self sufficiency, giving a realistic (and occasionally bleak) appraisal of the energy, treasure and sanity toll such a venture requires. I would recommend this to readers in the genre.
Tracy
Apr 13, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing
My takeaways from this book:
it is not easy to be self-sustainable.
Farming is hard work.
I greatly admire homesteaders.
Leigh Tate is awesome.
DebbieB
DebbieB rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Dean
Dean rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Jeny
Jeny rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Theresa
Theresa rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
sherry.
sherry. rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Spinny
Spinny rated it did not like it
Jan 21, 2015
Carey E Howard
Carey E Howard rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Rebecca
Jun 24, 2016 Rebecca rated it liked it
This book had interesting and helpful parts, but it read like a textbook.
Jena Buckwell
Jena Buckwell rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Keith Thibodeaux
Keith Thibodeaux rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2015
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Jen Fowler
Jen Fowler rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Beverly Breslen
Beverly Breslen rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Dyan
Dyan rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Deborah Maatman-Thedos
Deborah Maatman-Thedos rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Brianne Davis
Brianne Davis rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Phil A
Phil A rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Shanese
Jul 28, 2016 Shanese rated it really liked it
Nice account about establishing a homestead based on a families particularl goals.