Start by marking “The Oath” as Want to Read:
The Oath

The Oath

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When a Christian boy disappears in a fictional Eastern European town in the 1920s, the local Jews are quickly accused of ritual murder. There is tension in the air and a pogrom threatens to erupt. Suddenly, an extraordinary man�Moshe the dreamer, a madman and mystic�steps forward and confesses to a crime he did not commit, in a vain attempt to save his people from cert ...more
Published May 12th 1986 by Schocken (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Oath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oath

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John BoyneNumber the Stars by Lois Lowry
Well Written Holocaust Books
494th out of 512 books — 2,089 voters
Mila 18 by Leon UrisThe Red Tent by Anita DiamantJoy Comes in the Morning by Jonathan RosenNight by Elie WieselAmerican Pastoral by Philip Roth
Jewish Fiction And Literature
204th out of 291 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Barb Martin
"The Oath" is not the powerful, captivating read that is Elie Wiesel's "Night." Still, the novel managed to unsettle me and to leave me lamenting the wanton cruelty.
Skylar Burris
Two of my favorite books come from the pen of Elie Wiesel. I was excited, therefore, to find his novel The Oath in a used bookstore, especially when I read that The Washington Starcalled it “Wiesel’s most ambitious, most rewarding story to date . . . Episodes of sheer beauty and power.”

Unfortunately, Part One of the book (which one must slug through before reaching the narrative in Parts Two and Three) is just that — a mere series of “episodes.” As a whole, it does not form a clear narrative, a
Emily
When I picked up this book, I did not realize he was a major Jewish writer who writes about the Holocaust and such. I never had to read him in school.
The style of writing in this book was not one I particularly enjoyed. It just kind of went on and on. There were 3 parts, and it never really seemed to get to the point until the 3rd, which had no chapters. I'm not a huge fan of books with no chapters, it makes it drag on when there is no clear break.
The positive is that it did keep me hooked in e
K
A parable that went way over my head.
Jirka
This has not been an easy reading for me. Now I'm feeling guilty for calling myself a Christian. The anti-semitism fueled by some passages in the Bible is the impersonation of evil.

A swarm of unanswered questions - like wasps - are circulating in my restless mind after reading this book. This is a book that I will probably return to and re-read.
Kimberley Warsett
This book is astonishing in its philosophical clarity, in giving reason to continue to live, and in its moral value. Beautifully written-it reads like it could have been written in just a few sittings-brilliantly done-painful to read and necessary if you are able to take a very heavy topic.
Jessica
Not particularly cheery reading, but fascinating for the question Wiesel raises about whether the ability to remember or the ability to forget is more useful in moving past tragedy.
Maureen Stutzman
I probably shouldn't list this as read because I read about the first three chapters and couldn't get into it. When I saw it was due at the library I just returned it unfinished...
Casey
I remember this book blowing me away. I read it around the same time as Everything is Illumninated, though, and they've kind of blurred together.
Ryan Mishap
Whatever the author's current beliefs on Iraq, Israel, etc,, this is a very good novel that delves into why pogroms happen and how they were carried out.
John
That's right. He won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Carolyn
Aketzle
don't remember...read again
Kam
Aug 17, 2009 Kam added it
Wow - very enlightening.
Mark Smith
Mark Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Marnie
Marnie marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Suzanne Van der pluijm
Suzanne Van der pluijm marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Hadassah Hallman
Hadassah Hallman marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Alisa Williams
Alisa Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Sarah Hoppe
Sarah Hoppe marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Heather Harris
Heather Harris marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Crysta
Crysta marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • The Polish Boxer
  • The Last of the Just
  • In the Image
  • Moments of Reprieve (Penguin Modern Classics)
  • In the Beginning
  • Badenheim 1939
  • A Crown of Feathers
  • The Thirteen Petalled Rose: A Discourse On The Essence Of Jewish Existence And Belief
  • The Book of Abraham
  • The Marriage Artist: A Novel
  • In a Dark Wood: A Novel
  • Shtetl: The Life and Death of a Small Town and the World of Polish Jews
  • Rashi's Daughters, Book II: Miriam: A Novel of Love and the Talmud in Medieval France
  • The Puzzle King
  • Displaced Persons
  • The Murderers Among Us
  • A Day of Small Beginnings: A Novel
  • Hannah Senesh, Her Life and Diary
Eliezer Wiesel is a Romania-born American novelist, political activist, and Holocaust survivor of Hungarian Jewish descent. He is the author of over 40 books, the best known of which is Night, a memoir that describes his experiences during the Holocaust and his imprisonment in several concentration camps.

Wiesel was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. The Norwegian Nobel Committee called him a "
More about Elie Wiesel...
Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) Dawn (The Night Trilogy, #2) Day (The Night Trilogy, #3) The Night Trilogy: Night/Dawn/The Accident All Rivers Run to the Sea