Start by marking “The Oath” as Want to Read:
The Oath

The Oath

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  185 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
When a Christian boy disappears in a fictional Eastern European town in the 1920s, the local Jews are quickly accused of ritual murder. There is tension in the air. A pogrom threatens to erupt. Suddenly, an extraordinary man—Moshe the dreamer, a madman and mystic—steps forward & confesses to a crime he didn't commit, in a vain attempt to save his people from certain de ...more
Published May 12th 1986 by Schocken (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Oath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oath

Barb Martin
Jul 12, 2013 Barb Martin rated it liked it
"The Oath" is not the powerful, captivating read that is Elie Wiesel's "Night." Still, the novel managed to unsettle me and to leave me lamenting the wanton cruelty.
Skylar Burris
Jan 22, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it liked it
Shelves: judaism
Two of my favorite books come from the pen of Elie Wiesel. I was excited, therefore, to find his novel The Oath in a used bookstore, especially when I read that The Washington Starcalled it “Wiesel’s most ambitious, most rewarding story to date . . . Episodes of sheer beauty and power.”

Unfortunately, Part One of the book (which one must slug through before reaching the narrative in Parts Two and Three) is just that — a mere series of “episodes.” As a whole, it does not form a clear narrative, a
Emily
Aug 04, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
When I picked up this book, I did not realize he was a major Jewish writer who writes about the Holocaust and such. I never had to read him in school.
The style of writing in this book was not one I particularly enjoyed. It just kind of went on and on. There were 3 parts, and it never really seemed to get to the point until the 3rd, which had no chapters. I'm not a huge fan of books with no chapters, it makes it drag on when there is no clear break.
The positive is that it did keep me hooked in e
K
Aug 17, 2014 K rated it liked it
A parable that went way over my head.
Jirka
May 07, 2012 Jirka rated it it was amazing
This has not been an easy reading for me. Now I'm feeling guilty for calling myself a Christian. The anti-semitism fueled by some passages in the Bible is the impersonation of evil.

A swarm of unanswered questions - like wasps - are circulating in my restless mind after reading this book. This is a book that I will probably return to and re-read.
Kimberley Warsett
Jan 23, 2011 Kimberley Warsett rated it it was amazing
This book is astonishing in its philosophical clarity, in giving reason to continue to live, and in its moral value. Beautifully written-it reads like it could have been written in just a few sittings-brilliantly done-painful to read and necessary if you are able to take a very heavy topic.
Jessica
May 10, 2009 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: judaism
Not particularly cheery reading, but fascinating for the question Wiesel raises about whether the ability to remember or the ability to forget is more useful in moving past tragedy.
Maureen Stutzman
Aug 01, 2009 Maureen Stutzman rated it did not like it
I probably shouldn't list this as read because I read about the first three chapters and couldn't get into it. When I saw it was due at the library I just returned it unfinished...
Casey
May 10, 2007 Casey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adults
I remember this book blowing me away. I read it around the same time as Everything is Illumninated, though, and they've kind of blurred together.
Ryan Mishap
Sep 07, 2008 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-novels
Whatever the author's current beliefs on Iraq, Israel, etc,, this is a very good novel that delves into why pogroms happen and how they were carried out.
John
Aug 21, 2009 John rated it liked it
That's right. He won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Carolyn
May 21, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Aketzle
don't remember...read again
Kam
Aug 17, 2009 Kam added it
Wow - very enlightening.
Brian Weaver
Brian Weaver marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Kristi Rothschild
Kristi Rothschild rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Denise Jo
Denise Jo marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Evelyn Tran
Evelyn Tran marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Tim Downie
Tim Downie marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Alena Chilcoat
Alena Chilcoat marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Yong
Yong rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Sharon Vandezande
Sharon Vandezande marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Monse
Monse marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
AmytheMighty
AmytheMighty rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Jim
Jim added it
Apr 30, 2016
Dominic Mitchell
Dominic Mitchell marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
  • Displaced Persons
  • Hiroshima Joe: A Novel
  • The Wind of the Khazars
  • Dybbuk and Other Tales of the Supernatural
Eliezer Wiesel is a Romania-born American novelist, political activist, and Holocaust survivor of Hungarian Jewish descent. He is the author of over 40 books, the best known of which is Night, a memoir that describes his experiences during the Holocaust and his imprisonment in several concentration camps.

Wiesel was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. The Norwegian Nobel Committee called him a "
More about Elie Wiesel...