The Oath

The Oath

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When a Christian boy disappears in a fictional Eastern European town in the 1920s, the local Jews are quickly accused of ritual murder. There is tension in the air and a pogrom threatens to erupt. Suddenly, an extraordinary man�Moshe the dreamer, a madman and mystic�steps forward and confesses to a crime he did not commit, in a vain attempt to save his people from cert...more
Published May 12th 1986 by Schocken (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Oath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oath

Barb Martin
"The Oath" is not the powerful, captivating read that is Elie Wiesel's "Night." Still, the novel managed to unsettle me and to leave me lamenting the wanton cruelty.
Skylar Burris
Two of my favorite books come from the pen of Elie Wiesel. I was excited, therefore, to find his novel The Oath in a used bookstore, especially when I read that The Washington Starcalled it “Wiesel’s most ambitious, most rewarding story to date . . . Episodes of sheer beauty and power.”

Unfortunately, Part One of the book (which one must slug through before reaching the narrative in Parts Two and Three) is just that — a mere series of “episodes.” As a whole, it does not form a clear narrative, a...more
Emily
When I picked up this book, I did not realize he was a major Jewish writer who writes about the Holocaust and such. I never had to read him in school.
The style of writing in this book was not one I particularly enjoyed. It just kind of went on and on. There were 3 parts, and it never really seemed to get to the point until the 3rd, which had no chapters. I'm not a huge fan of books with no chapters, it makes it drag on when there is no clear break.
The positive is that it did keep me hooked in e...more
K
A parable that went way over my head.
Jirka
This has not been an easy reading for me. Now I'm feeling guilty for calling myself a Christian. The anti-semitism fueled by some passages in the Bible is the impersonation of evil.

A swarm of unanswered questions - like wasps - are circulating in my restless mind after reading this book. This is a book that I will probably return to and re-read.
Kimberley Warsett
This book is astonishing in its philosophical clarity, in giving reason to continue to live, and in its moral value. Beautifully written-it reads like it could have been written in just a few sittings-brilliantly done-painful to read and necessary if you are able to take a very heavy topic.
Jessica
Not particularly cheery reading, but fascinating for the question Wiesel raises about whether the ability to remember or the ability to forget is more useful in moving past tragedy.
Maureen Stutzman
I probably shouldn't list this as read because I read about the first three chapters and couldn't get into it. When I saw it was due at the library I just returned it unfinished...
Casey
I remember this book blowing me away. I read it around the same time as Everything is Illumninated, though, and they've kind of blurred together.
Ryan Mishap
Whatever the author's current beliefs on Iraq, Israel, etc,, this is a very good novel that delves into why pogroms happen and how they were carried out.
John
That's right. He won the Nobel Peace Prize.
Carolyn
Nina
Nina added it
Aug 27, 2014
Wendy Wafer
Wendy Wafer marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Catgirl (in Perth)
Catgirl (in Perth) marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
moshimoshineko
moshimoshineko marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Derek Dewitt
Derek Dewitt marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Penny
Penny added it
Aug 18, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Tiffanie
Tiffanie marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Leroy
Leroy marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Deborah Shaw
Deborah Shaw marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Giulia Mirra
Giulia Mirra marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Peg
Peg marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Emma Campbell
Emma Campbell marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • The Polish Boxer
  • Moments of Reprieve (Penguin Modern Classics)
  • In the Image
  • The Diary of Petr Ginz
  • Wandering Stars
  • This Has Happened: An Italian Family in Auschwitz
  • Wings: A Novel of World War II Flygirls
Eliezer Wiesel is a Romania-born American novelist, political activist, and Holocaust survivor of Hungarian Jewish descent. He is the author of over 40 books, the best known of which is Night, a memoir that describes his experiences during the Holocaust and his imprisonment in several concentration camps.

Wiesel was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. The Norwegian Nobel Committee called him a "...more
More about Elie Wiesel...
Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) Dawn (The Night Trilogy, #2) Day (The Night Trilogy, #3) The Night Trilogy: Night/Dawn/The Accident All Rivers Run to the Sea