Start by marking “Rhinegold” as Want to Read:
Rhinegold

Rhinegold

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Proudly dedicated to both J. R. R. Tolkien and Richard Wagner, Rhinegold is a tour de force that will enthrall devotees of either master of magic, casting a fascinating new light on the stories they have told. What The Mists of Avalon did for Celtic culture, Rhinegold does magnificently for its Nordic counterpart. Sweeping the reader into the stark, sensuous, exuberant wor ...more
Published March 1st 1994 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Rhinegold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhinegold

Lennongirl
I read this for the first time in the early ninties, I think, and I remember being very fond of it, so I gave it a reread. It's a very compelling story, lots of action, love, drama, seduction, betrayal and what not - it is epic, it really is. And Grundy tells the story in such a nice, flawless way that you can't help it but have to read on. Basically, this book has it all - and it's actually a 5-star-read.

However, I can give it 4 stars only because of the German translation. I never noticed it
Patrice
This is a VERY long book. It's over 800 pages in about size 10 font for the paperback version. In fairness, it was originally meant to be three seperate novels that were all crammed into one. If you have any interest in Norse mythology, particularly the legend of Sigurd, I highly recommend this book. It covers the legend from beginning to end and really makes the characters come alive.
Debbie
This is dense and fascinating book. It offers a fictionalized yet entirely possible view of the legend of Sigifrith the Volsung and the Ring of the Nibelung. It is not an easy read by any means but once I finished the book I was glad I did. Grundy researched this legend and the history of the time and created a compelling, complex and captivating tale.
Reinhold
Herausragendes Frühmittelalterepos

Stephan Grundy ist ein wunderbares Werk gelungen. Er hat es perfekt geschafft, die Gratwanderung zwischen Phantasyroman und Quellentreue zu bestehen. Aus einem sehr tiefen Verständnis der ursprünglichen Quellen beschreibt er die Geschichte rund um das Rheingold - also wie es zu dem Drachen kam, wie es zu Sigfrid kam und wie es den Burgundern Unglück brachte. Von einem historischen Roman unterscheidet er sich insofern, als er die nordische Götterwelt immer mitwir
Sean
Rhinegold is one of those epic books that you wait to tackle until you have the energy and the time for a major project. The book gets off to a very slow start, slowly building up background information for a couple hundred pages, until Grundy introduces the main characters and the book starts to feel more like a novel than a history book reciting a litany of Norse myths.

The book takes its material from the Norse Volsunga Saga, The Ring of the Nibelung and the Eddas. We've seen the same story in
Kiwi
There is a bit of a history with this book: when I was in primary school, my teacher asked me to select a book from her library to read during the summer vacations. I arrived quite late at the meeting and all the coveted books were already snatched up by more proactive and quick girls in my class: only two books remained: the Nibelung saga and the Argonauts (my teacher must have had a thing for mythology).
Anyway, I selected the first book (the Nibelungs) by exclusion, as the second book name sou
Sianeka
First, I need to be fair and state that I'm not a fan of Germanic/Norse mythology. Rhinegold hasn't changed that. I was hoping to find a compelling story that brought these myths to life, but that's not what I found here. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with Grundy's prose, the book was a fine read. It's just that the characters weren't brought to life, their motivations remained hazy and the justifications for their actions not real to me.

The Norse gods are cruel and capricious, creating h
Chris
Good retelling of the Ring cycles. Grundy brings some fresh views to it as well.
Tiffany Robbins
Miquela
I can't quite give this three stars. There were parts that I really liked and others that I had to skim, so it fell into "OK" territory for me. Something I look for (read enjoy) in mythology-based novels is character motivations I can get behind or at least sympathize with. However, I wasn't able to care or root for any of the characters who had a viewpoint in this saga. I know Grundy had to stick as closely as possible to his source material, but since I've never been a fan (not opposed to it; ...more
Katrin
Ich habe dieses Buch sehr genossen. Ich liebe die germanischen heldensagen welche sich mit Göttern, mythologie und sogar Geschichte vermischt haben. Es sind Einflüsse aus dem Norden aber auch aus den Süden und deckt daher die gesamte germanische welt ab. Ein grandioser Epos. Man muss sich ein wenig einlesen und darf die geduld nicht verlieren. Dann wird es zu einem tollen leseerlebnis. Ein stern weniger für den mühsamen start der doch etwas zäh war. Danach sind die nibelungen einfach nur atember ...more
Debbie
Marisa
I've started it countless times...at least 5 that I can think of. Never finished it. It seems like it should be a really good book. I think that I will really love it if I can ever get past the first hundred pages or so. Alas, it will continue to sit on my shelves with last try's bookmark still in it.
Dawn
I liked Attila's Treasure far better than this book even though this filled in quite a few details I needed.
While very well written and researched, it was too long and often got bogged down in the little things.
Julie
Apr 09, 2008 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Bryon
Shelves: fantasy
Bryon lovvvvves this book, and he got me to read it too. There's a deep story to it and it is mostly based on Wagner's Ring Cycle. I did enjoy it although I think I prefer my books a little lighter in tone.
Rhonda
I seldom read a book more than once. Rheingold is a rare exception. This retelling of the Norse tale is exceptionally good. It is superb background material for any Tolkein or mythology fans.
Michele
Novelization of Wagner's Ring Cycle. Well done adaptation of a mythic saga.
Bettie☯
Golden sunlight glittered from the Rhine's depths like a fire in the flood, brightening the dark waters into the torchlit grandeur of a river-king's hall.

In complete contrast to my other current reads - a palate cleanser. The picture is right but mine is in English (Rhinegold) and a hardcover.

This is a biggy so I had better keep track of characters as they come along...
Sigifrith - blacksmith and apprentice
Ragin - dwarf teacher and foster-father to Sigifrith
King Alapercht - instructs Ragin to tea
Chuck Bohannon
Germanic Mythology filled with Shakespearean tragedy.
Benjamin Thomas
Just couldn't get into it...
Allison Lawrence
Allison Lawrence marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Shelby Usrey
Shelby Usrey marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Mariola Turnbough
Mariola Turnbough is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Terri Kleinberg
Terri Kleinberg marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
  • The Wolf and the Raven (Wodan's Children #1)
  • Hagen von Tronje
  • The Light Bearer
  • Hiobs Brüder
  • Alamut (Alamut, #1)
  • The Mabinogion Tetralogy
  • Red Branch
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • Odin's Island
  • Breaking News
  • The Forest Of Hours
  • Child of the Phoenix
Dr. Stephan Grundy (born 1967 in New York, U.S.) is an American author. Being versed in particularly the Germanic mythology and cultural history, Grundy is known best for his modern adaptations of legendary sagas. Some of his work is published under the pseudonym Kveldulf Gundarsson.
More about Stephan Grundy...
Attila's Treasure Gilgamesh Beowulf Adler und Falke (Falcon Dreams, #1) The Cult of Odinn: God of Death?