Start by marking “The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)

The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos #3)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  616 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
One moment Wesley, Kurt and Lisa are poking around in their uncle's attic. The next moment they have stepped into the magical world of Anthropos, where their help is needed to free a king and defeat the powers of evil. Book Three in John White's Archives of Anthropos.
Published October 1st 1978 by IVP Books (first published June 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Tower of Geburah, please sign up.

Fox There are six books. I recommend reading them in order of publication starting with The Tower of Geburah. Great books!

From Wikipedia (…more

From Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Arc...
The books, in order of publication, are:

The Tower of Geburah (1978) ISBN 0-87784-560-3
The Iron Sceptre (1981) ISBN 0-87784-589-1
The Sword Bearer (1986) ISBN 0-87784-590-5
Gaal the Conqueror (1989) ISBN 0-87784-591-3
Quest for the King (1995) ISBN 0-87784-592-1
The Dark Lord's Demise (2001) ISBN 0-87784-521-2

The books, in chronological order, are:

The Sword Bearer (1986) ISBN 0-87784-590-5
Gaal the Conqueror (1989) ISBN 0-87784-591-3
The Tower of Geburah (1978) ISBN 0-87784-560-3
The Iron Sceptre (1981) ISBN 0-87784-589-1
Quest for the King (1995) ISBN 0-87784-592-1
The Dark Lord's Demise (2001) ISBN 0-87784-521-2
(less)
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Christian Fantasy
108th out of 385 books — 531 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Path to Sacrifice by Chris       SmithScepter of Faith by Chris       Smith
Best Christian Fantasy books
77th out of 239 books — 251 voters

More lists with this book...

J. Aleksandr Wootton
Apr 23, 2014 J. Aleksandr Wootton rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young readers looking for more Narnia
Shelves: childhood-reads
The Archives of Anthropos are essentially a poor imitation of The Chronicles of Narnia, originally written at the request of theologian John White's children for a story that was "just like Narnia."

Unfortunately, while C.S. Lewis was a mythologist first and a theologian second, White is a theologian first and a mythologist somewhere down the line, and it shows. The books are decent allegory-fantasy, drawing on classical and biblical mythology - good quest-based action adventure stories with good
Molly
Dec 30, 2010 Molly rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This was kids' Christian fiction. Kids are sucked into another dimension and tempted, but probably triumph through the power of Jesus, except he's been cleverly disguised by giving him a new name. Except I don't know that, because the writing was so poor that I didn't get more than halfway through. My recommendation: read the Chronicles of Narnia again instead.
The Rusty Key
Sep 29, 2011 The Rusty Key rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Rusty Key Writer: Becca Worthington

Recommended for: Boys and girls, Ages 10+

One Word Summary: Magical.

As a child, my family read out loud a lot. It would happen primarily after dinner, my father reading us book after book loudly enough so that my mother could hear from the kitchen as she washed the dishes. It began with picture books, as we four kids sat in his lap and took turns flipping the pages with their crisp sound, marveling at the artwork as my father changed his voice for th
Jessica Snell
Jul 18, 2012 Jessica Snell rated it really liked it
It was great fun to revisit this childhood favorite by reading it aloud to my daughter.

You can almost think of this series as super-awesome Narnia fan-fiction, except that White's fantastic setting is completely his own. All the things I remembered loving - the perilous journey, the courtly characters, the courageous choices - they were all still there. And I appreciated the avuncular, first-person voice of the unnamed narrator a lot this time around.

There were awkward bits to the prose here an
D.M. Dutcher
Jan 16, 2012 D.M. Dutcher rated it really liked it
It's much better than you'd expect. Wesley, Kurt, and Lisa are sucked through old television sets in their attic to the land of Anthropos, where the king Kardia is imprisoned, and the land suffers under the sorcerer Hociono. Can they trust Gaal and free the kingdom?

It's heavily influenced by Narnia, but John White adds enough creativity and imagery to make it rise above a standard book. He has a special talent with names: Kardia, Koach, Gaal, Mashal Stone, Bayith of Yayin, Sunesidis. he also has
Carrissa Cat
Oct 08, 2011 Carrissa Cat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
Wonderful as always. :)
Theophilus' name always makes me smile; Theophilus Gorgonzala Roquefort de Limburger V. Actually Theophilus in general makes me smile, crazy, vain, flying horse though he may be.

All joking aside, the rest of the characters are great too- Wesley who worries about everything and has to learn to trust Gaal, Lisa and Kurt who did some pretty stupid things but found out that they could be forgiven anyway. And the story is wonderful as well, three kids get sucked (literally) in
Heather
I haven't read this yet, but I am sure the series will be amazing. My dad, John's son, told me it was like Narnia, so I would probably like it. I've only really looked through the first few chapters because I had other things to read but I'm sure my grandpa did a great good :D
Steve Roach
May 14, 2012 Steve Roach rated it really liked it
I remember reading this as a teen, so I wanted to see if it was still good as an adult. While this is the third book in the series chronologically, it is the first that he actually wrote. As such it isn't as well-written as the ones he wrote later, but it is still good.
The similarities to the Chronicles of Narnia are of course striking, considering that he intentionally wrote this book for his children to be "like" them, but White does have his own style and the book quickly breaks out of the C.
Mark
Dec 30, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
So long ago... had to remember, but I remember feeling really compelled by it-- some good symbolism, so good work John.
Meredith
Oct 01, 2014 Meredith rated it it was amazing
My sister used to read this to me growing up. I can picture parts of this book vividly, and I love that.
James
Jan 05, 2015 James rated it it was ok
Well I didn't read the whole book this year (obviously), but I finally finished it.
Kelsey
May 07, 2015 Kelsey rated it liked it
I wish I could have given it 3.5 or even 3.75 but it isn't really quite a 4.
Kristi Davids
Jan 26, 2016 Kristi Davids rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite childhood reads.
Joy
Oct 26, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Joy by: I found it in my father's library
This is one of my favorite children's books! It is an allegory in the style of Chronicles of Narnia but it is definitely not a cheap imitation! There are parts of it that I go back to every once in a while to be reminded of the important concepts I first began to understand through this book. It was the character Gaal in this book that made me wonder "Could Jesus really be as wonderful as this?" and gave me enough hope that I found out for myself. This book also works well as a read-aloud book!
Jane
Jul 23, 2008 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was the first book I read of the series and probably my favorite, I think. It has been years since I read these books though. When I originally read this book I probably had an original copy with a different cover that was sitting around my house. Several years later I saw books 1-5 on sale in a CBD catalog or something and got them. It must have been before 2001 though because I don't ever remember seeing book 6 before sometime in recent past on goodreads.
Vaughn
Jan 02, 2011 Vaughn rated it really liked it
A great read for anyone who is looking for Christian fantasy in a similar vein to “Pilgrim’s Progress.” The Tower of Geburah is a well-written story with interesting plots and well-developed characters.

While there is an allegorical aspect to each of the character’s names (e.g., Gaal, means "Shepherd” and "Geburah" is Hebrew for "strength"), this is no "Pilgrim's Progress.” Good reading and highly entertaining.
Tiffany
Jan 28, 2008 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This book is very good centered around a spiritual theme. Like C.S. Lewis Chronicle of Narnia books, this books has a lot of meaning and symoblism with Christianity. My brother left it for me to read, and it took me a long time to convince myself to pick it up because of how big it was. I loved it, however, and it holds a lot of meaning about struggling to do what is right.
Ricky Ganci
Jan 05, 2012 Ricky Ganci rated it liked it
It was pretty good – some distinct similarities with Narnia, and some very good allegorical elements. I really enjoyed the trip to the tower of Geburah itself; that was by far the most engaging part of the story by far. It started well, slowed in the middle, and ended satisfyingly. I’m interested to see what will happen in the remaining books.
Skip Crust
May 16, 2011 Skip Crust rated it it was amazing
This was the book that drew me into the fantasy genre as a child. Although I don't think I could recite most of the plot line, I can tell you that I remember struggling with the ideas/emotions/spirituality within the book, even as a child. I have this book to thank for my interest today in sci-fi and fantasy novels.
Hope
Apr 29, 2009 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this when I was young. As I got older, I realized it is sort of a mish-mash of the Narnia books and The Lord of the Rings, and just about any other fantasy series, with an obvious veneer of Christianity. Like I said, I enjoyed the series, but I don't really need to ever read them again.
Scott
This may be the worst four star book in my books, but I read it about a thousand times as a kid and "really liked it" every time. It's no work of great literature, but it sure resonated with me for some reason. The others in the series weren't quite as good though....
Josiah
Dec 15, 2013 Josiah rated it it was amazing
This whole series is great and I'm glad it was the first fantasy book I ever read as a kid because I owed my early childhood enthusiasm for fantasy to it. It's good enough and easy enough that I blew right through it when I was in grade four and I still read it today.
Nioniel
May 11, 2009 Nioniel rated it it was ok
I think I stopped reading these books because the author decide to TOTALLY IGNORE John just as he was starting to get interesting and move on to his random relatives. Who were annoying little kids, by the way.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Loved these as a kid, more than Narnia. For some reason I was particularly captivated by this book and don't really remember the others. The journey underground was particularly memorable.
Anna
Dec 21, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Narnia
This is a book much like Narnia, in plot as well as the way it's written. I like it for its symbolizm and the clean language. If you liked Narnia, then you'll definately like this!
Holly
Oct 20, 2008 Holly rated it it was amazing
I read this before I was even aware of CS Lewis. Enchanting book riddled with magic, adventure and hope. Hard to believe now that it is listed as a "religious" book.
Rob Kibbe
Aug 09, 2015 Rob Kibbe rated it liked it
Shelves: own, rob-has-read
Entertaining with huge influence from Chronicles of Narnia and George McDonald's "The Princess and the Goblin" and "The Princess and Curdie"
Mindy
Sep 22, 2008 Mindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
One of my very favorites when I was growing up. Despite the obvious Christian overtones, it still holds a place of endearment in my heart.
Paul
Jan 21, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
The Archives of Anthropos series does a nice job of blending fantasy, spirituality and psychology into good stories.
Rose
Sep 16, 2012 Rose rated it it was ok
i felt like it should have ended in the frist 100 pages also i lost interstest during most of it .
  • The Toy Campaign (Spirit Flyer, #2)
  • In the Hall of the Dragon King (The Dragon King, #1)
  • The Third Millenium
  • One Step from Earth
  • Tales of the Resistance (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • Solar Flare
  • The Princess and Curdie
  • Galactic Empires 1
  • Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)
  • Classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  • The Case of the Burrowing Robot (Hank the Cowdog, #42)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)

John White was an Evangelical Christian author, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Manitoba and a pastor of Church of the Way.
More about John White...