The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)

The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  480 ratings  ·  30 reviews
One moment Wesley, Kurt and Lisa are poking around in their uncle's attic. The next moment they have stepped into the magical world of Anthropos, where their help is needed to free a king and defeat the powers of evil. Book Three in John White's Archives of Anthropos.
Published September 1st 1978 by IVP Books (first published June 1978)

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Christian Fantasy
128th out of 308 books — 475 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Path to Sacrifice by Chris       SmithThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisScepter of Faith by Chris       Smith
Best Christian Fantasy books
98th out of 225 books — 210 voters

More lists with this book...

J. Aleksandr Wootton
Apr 23, 2014 J. Aleksandr Wootton rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young readers looking for more Narnia
Shelves: childhood-reads
The Archives of Anthropos are essentially a poor imitation of The Chronicles of Narnia, originally written at the request of theologian John White's children for a story that was "just like Narnia."

Unfortunately, while C.S. Lewis was a mythologist first and a theologian second, White is a theologian first and a mythologist somewhere down the line, and it shows. The books are decent allegory-fantasy, drawing on classical and biblical mythology - good quest-based action adventure stories with good...more
Molly
This was kids' Christian fiction. Kids are sucked into another dimension and tempted, but probably triumph through the power of Jesus, except he's been cleverly disguised by giving him a new name. Except I don't know that, because the writing was so poor that I didn't get more than halfway through. My recommendation: read the Chronicles of Narnia again instead.
The Rusty Key
Reviewed by Rusty Key Writer: Becca Worthington

Recommended for: Boys and girls, Ages 10+

One Word Summary: Magical.

As a child, my family read out loud a lot. It would happen primarily after dinner, my father reading us book after book loudly enough so that my mother could hear from the kitchen as she washed the dishes. It began with picture books, as we four kids sat in his lap and took turns flipping the pages with their crisp sound, marveling at the artwork as my father changed his voice for th...more
Jessica Snell
It was great fun to revisit this childhood favorite by reading it aloud to my daughter.

You can almost think of this series as super-awesome Narnia fan-fiction, except that White's fantastic setting is completely his own. All the things I remembered loving - the perilous journey, the courtly characters, the courageous choices - they were all still there. And I appreciated the avuncular, first-person voice of the unnamed narrator a lot this time around.

There were awkward bits to the prose here an...more
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
It's much better than you'd expect. Wesley, Kurt, and Lisa are sucked through old television sets in their attic to the land of Anthropos, where the king Kardia is imprisoned, and the land suffers under the sorcerer Hociono. Can they trust Gaal and free the kingdom?

It's heavily influenced by Narnia, but John White adds enough creativity and imagery to make it rise above a standard book. He has a special talent with names: Kardia, Koach, Gaal, Mashal Stone, Bayith of Yayin, Sunesidis. he also has...more
Carrissa Cat
Wonderful as always. :)
Theophilus' name always makes me smile; Theophilus Gorgonzala Roquefort de Limburger V. Actually Theophilus in general makes me smile, crazy, vain, flying horse though he may be.

All joking aside, the rest of the characters are great too- Wesley who worries about everything and has to learn to trust Gaal, Lisa and Kurt who did some pretty stupid things but found out that they could be forgiven anyway. And the story is wonderful as well, three kids get sucked (literally) in...more
Steve Roach
I remember reading this as a teen, so I wanted to see if it was still good as an adult. While this is the third book in the series chronologically, it is the first that he actually wrote. As such it isn't as well-written as the ones he wrote later, but it is still good.
The similarities to the Chronicles of Narnia are of course striking, considering that he intentionally wrote this book for his children to be "like" them, but White does have his own style and the book quickly breaks out of the C....more
Joy
Oct 26, 2009 Joy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joy by: I found it in my father's library
This is one of my favorite children's books! It is an allegory in the style of Chronicles of Narnia but it is definitely not a cheap imitation! There are parts of it that I go back to every once in a while to be reminded of the important concepts I first began to understand through this book. It was the character Gaal in this book that made me wonder "Could Jesus really be as wonderful as this?" and gave me enough hope that I found out for myself. This book also works well as a read-aloud book!
Jane
Jul 23, 2008 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This was the first book I read of the series and probably my favorite, I think. It has been years since I read these books though. When I originally read this book I probably had an original copy with a different cover that was sitting around my house. Several years later I saw books 1-5 on sale in a CBD catalog or something and got them. It must have been before 2001 though because I don't ever remember seeing book 6 before sometime in recent past on goodreads.
Vaughn
A great read for anyone who is looking for Christian fantasy in a similar vein to “Pilgrim’s Progress.” The Tower of Geburah is a well-written story with interesting plots and well-developed characters.

While there is an allegorical aspect to each of the character’s names (e.g., Gaal, means "Shepherd” and "Geburah" is Hebrew for "strength"), this is no "Pilgrim's Progress.” Good reading and highly entertaining.
Tiffany
This book is very good centered around a spiritual theme. Like C.S. Lewis Chronicle of Narnia books, this books has a lot of meaning and symoblism with Christianity. My brother left it for me to read, and it took me a long time to convince myself to pick it up because of how big it was. I loved it, however, and it holds a lot of meaning about struggling to do what is right.
Ricky Ganci
It was pretty good – some distinct similarities with Narnia, and some very good allegorical elements. I really enjoyed the trip to the tower of Geburah itself; that was by far the most engaging part of the story by far. It started well, slowed in the middle, and ended satisfyingly. I’m interested to see what will happen in the remaining books.
Skip Crust
This was the book that drew me into the fantasy genre as a child. Although I don't think I could recite most of the plot line, I can tell you that I remember struggling with the ideas/emotions/spirituality within the book, even as a child. I have this book to thank for my interest today in sci-fi and fantasy novels.
Hope
I really enjoyed this when I was young. As I got older, I realized it is sort of a mish-mash of the Narnia books and The Lord of the Rings, and just about any other fantasy series, with an obvious veneer of Christianity. Like I said, I enjoyed the series, but I don't really need to ever read them again.
Scott
This may be the worst four star book in my books, but I read it about a thousand times as a kid and "really liked it" every time. It's no work of great literature, but it sure resonated with me for some reason. The others in the series weren't quite as good though....
Josiah
This whole series is great and I'm glad it was the first fantasy book I ever read as a kid because I owed my early childhood enthusiasm for fantasy to it. It's good enough and easy enough that I blew right through it when I was in grade four and I still read it today.
Nioniel
I think I stopped reading these books because the author decide to TOTALLY IGNORE John just as he was starting to get interesting and move on to his random relatives. Who were annoying little kids, by the way.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Loved these as a kid, more than Narnia. For some reason I was particularly captivated by this book and don't really remember the others. The journey underground was particularly memorable.
Anna
Dec 21, 2009 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Narnia
This is a book much like Narnia, in plot as well as the way it's written. I like it for its symbolizm and the clean language. If you liked Narnia, then you'll definately like this!
Holly
I read this before I was even aware of CS Lewis. Enchanting book riddled with magic, adventure and hope. Hard to believe now that it is listed as a "religious" book.
Rob Kibbe
Entertaining with huge influence from Chronicles of Narnia and George McDonald's "The Princess and the Goblin" and "The Princess and Curdie"
Mindy
One of my very favorites when I was growing up. Despite the obvious Christian overtones, it still holds a place of endearment in my heart.
Paul
The Archives of Anthropos series does a nice job of blending fantasy, spirituality and psychology into good stories.
Rose
i felt like it should have ended in the frist 100 pages also i lost interstest during most of it .
Wendy Pimm
My kids loved it. I read it to them. They say it was "awesome" and "interesting".
Ruth Whipple
This series of books is great for young readers who enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia.
Stacey
Good story I borrowed from the MICS library. Chronicles of Narnianish.
Bonnijean Marley
Very exciting, but the little didactic asides can get annoying.
Marilyn
Enjoyed it as a teenager.
  • In the Hall of the Dragon King (The Dragon King, #1)
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • Plague from Space
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies
  • The Lost Princess
  • Victories and Sacrifices (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #2)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • The Last of the Nephilim (Oracles of Fire, #3)
  • Tintin in the New World: A Romance
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • The Union Belle: 1867 (The House of Winslow)
More about John White...
The Sword Bearer (Archives of Anthropos, #1) The Iron Sceptre (Archives of Anthropos #4) Gaal the Conqueror (Archives of Anthropos #2) Quest for the King (Archives of Anthropos #5) The Dark Lord's Demise (The Archives of Anthropos, #6)